Management or developer career pathway?

Management or developer career pathway?

I'm starting off my career in tech (studied maths and compsci, graduating end of this year) and have a few internships as a developer/analyst and I'm equally interested both pathways and am wondering what pays more in total? I know developers salaries quickly progress and know of people who are a couple of years out of uni on upwards of $120k as devs, however I'm wondering where this salary tops out at and whether it's better to go for the long term and try to go into management after being a developer for a couple of years and trying to move into a product owner/scrum master type role and upwards from there.

Attached: Unknown-3.png (288x175, 6K)

bump

bump

I accepted Network Technician position with a local government here in the US. They are currently doing a background check. I was arrested for assault 8 years ago but never convicted. I am paranoid a fuck. They were so eager to hire me they told me I should put in my two weeks at my current job which I did. They are currently doing a back ground check on me. They wouldn't piss test me if a failed the background check? or would they be so inefficient that they would do them both at the same time? I passed a background check in the private sector for my current job, but this job is high security and I might be working in prisons and stuff. Sorry for the blog but I fucking need this job.

Attached: 1484542600080.jpg (720x564, 29K)

The default answer is go into management when you can. It pays the same or more as development. However management is totally different than development or even "product owner". It's quite complicated and stressful to manage a team of developers. I work at a mega corp and on my team several of the really amazing developers have moved to managment only to come back to development after a year. You lose the perks of coding, including remote work, ability to do deep work without being bothered, etc. Instead managers are constantly in meetings with no time for themselves.

go buy a gun if you're so curious

can conform. work as a product owner for a big project. All product owner work probably 50% more than in the previous roles. you get constantly bombarded by boomer managers who are retarded.
I think the best you can do is to live frugally, invest your money, move to working remotely and slowly decrease your hours worked. then you have fuck you money to do whatever you want (cool but underpaid jobs, working on your own stuff, and so on)

Attached: screen-shot-2016-09-27-at-9-00-59-am.png (577x261, 47K)

I currently own guns, I was never told to give them up or anything.

I do well in stressful/hectic environment compared to being left to my own devices (like in development), I think I would enjoy the full on nature of the roles, that is until I eventually burn out (lol). Is the money of say a product owner or release train manager (depending on what development methodology the companies using) that much better than say a senior dev?

Is there a way to stay in tech in a non-management role when 40 or older?

Get into devops, problem solved. You get to do everything and paid a shit ton of gold

>paid a shit ton of gold
as if

Work for a big company that's not silicon-valley culture.
I've met some ancient fucks working for defense contractors, doing the same job for 30 years .

at our company it's 15-20% more but it opens up better management positions

not everybody is icon of COBOL

>doing the same job for 30 years
Where in tech do you have something like that nowadays?

The shit hole company I work for is like that.
It really sucks when you're surrounded by so many old people who suck at their job but they're still there and getting paid senior bucks just because they never leave.
I'm one of the few "kids" there and I'm 30.

Defense contractors.

finance and gov jobs

Management, absolutely.
Being a dev sucks. You are like a factory worker for everyone. You have no freedom for your own decisions and you will get tracked all the time.

Well the answer is no, I don't think the minor pay increase is worth the responsibility increase.
But if you want to become a director or CTO or something management experience is obviously required.

go the manager pathway
that or take the dev pathway and risk getting a shithead manager