Just tested my old Athlon 64 3700+ & Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Just tested my old Athlon 64 3700+ & Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600.

Everything working fine, just need two graphics cards, cases and hard drives.

What can I possibly use these two setups for these days? I don't even think they can handle 1080p...

Attached: intel-q6600-original-imaf235g232kebfq.jpg (704x704, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techspot.com/article/1313-intel-q6600-ten-years-later/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Used to have a Q6600 and a gtx 750 ti and had a blast with a lot of games as long as I knew I wasn't going to max out anything.

They actually make awesome programming test rigs.
I have a single core 2.8GHz P4 (I shit you not) running XP that I squirt code down for testing.
If it's too slow or throws up a "can't load DLL", I return to my devbox and fix it.

XP/POSReady 2009 machine with SMB and internet access disabled, Getting 4 or 8GB DDR2 is going to be expensive if you're going to do modern-ish stuff on them. Or a power hungry file server.

the fuck is intel core 2 quad? It's quad core. Probably a shitty one, that got severely smoked by the i7 920 @ OC'ed at 4 Ghz released less than 2 years later.

That i7 is so good it's relevant even for modern games when paired with a decent GPU. I used it till 2016, and upgraded to X5650 (9+ year old CPU), which is basically the same arch. as i7 920, except 32nm and 6 cores. Can't say the same about your shitty Q6600 or the even shittier Athlon 64.

Stupid fucking zoomer. Shut the fuck up.

>the fuck is intel core 2 quad?
zoom zoom zoomie zoo

Who the fuck would want to program for fucking netburst?

Is the core 2 quad suseptible to the intel exploits?

Meltdown and Spectre affect Intel CPUs going back to the Pentium III.

1050 ti, i saw them going for 75 used on cl, and they are miles better than a 750 ti. shit will run the witcher 3 in 1080p on medium easily on an old quad core similar to op's.

Really? Wow that's embarrasing. For an old comp setup without exploits would an amd phenom 2 be acceptable?

Yes.

>I don't even think they can handle 1080p
Lol?
Of course they can, get a somewhat "decent" GPU and you can even do some light gaming on it.

I use a desktop with a Q9550 and 8GB RAM. Works great as my main workstation. I use it for shitposting and programming and some virtual machines. I'm currently running Slackware. 1080p video on YouTube works but it occasionally stutters. Can't really complain much considering this thing is 10 years old.

Yes. Don't be a fucking boomer. Install the newest version of your OS of choice with the latest security patches.

OP is talking about the iGPU.

Attached: cyberpunk.jpg (580x1031, 35K)

I had the same except i had 650 ti and worked great as well

zoomers are gonna zoom

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 62K)

>going back to the Pentium Pro from 1995
Fixed that for you. The last safe mainline Intel CPU is the Pentium MMX 233 MHz.
Early Atoms from 2008-2009 period are safe from Meltdown, but not Spectre.

What are other specs of you system (motherboard/graphics card/disks/drives/PSU etc.)?

They will handle 1080p video easily.

Maybe he meant gaming in 1080p.

Oh, I thought this was an 18+ board. My mistake.

The onboard intel IG (G41 chipset) on my Q6600 box can handle 1080p video like a breeze, let alone a modern discrete GPU, gaming tho is another story.
techspot.com/article/1313-intel-q6600-ten-years-later/

My machine sitting next to me is a Xeon X3220, basically a C2Q Q6600 with "Xeon" stamped on it.

I have a Geforce GT710 in that machine (along with 4GB RAM and 3 hard drives, one of which is dedicated to CentOS 7). It plays 1080p video just fine, I even play a few games on it (mostly CS:GO though). It's also my DAW machine so FL Studio, Sonar, and assorted plugins humming along just fine.

I ran my IT consulting business from that machine until about mid-summer last year when I was gifted a 4th-gen i5 box but if I were to bump up the RAM to 8GB I could easily see myself still using it.

>motherboard/graphics card/disks/drives/PSU
Some HP mobo, GMA 4500, 120GB SSD, and a 240W PSU. Pretty standard stuff in a pre-built. Why?

Those are quite modest specs, is the SSD you listed all of the computer's storage? For how long is it expected to last as a main system? I suppose that RAM is DDR2 and cannot be realistically upgraded beyond the 8GB you already have?

I don't need more storage since since I have a server with 8TB. The RAM is 1333MHz DDR3, and I can upgrade to 16GB. I just don't need to.

>the fuck is intel core 2 quad? It's quad core. Probably a shitty one
Well it's about Phenom II x4 levels, just with lower stock clocks.

is this bait?

Watch anime. Preferably something like eva to take you back.

some of the intel 4 series chipsets supported full 1080p actually

there were non-netburst P4s

Cool story

For how long will Core 2 (and equivalent Xeons) remain useful for most tasks?

huh?

nevermind i was thinking of something else
i'm a retard, disregard

I still use an X200 which has a C2D in. It's more than enough for someone who uses their computer as a tool and not as an end in itself.

Of course it's a good tool for the tasks I perform -- it might not be enough for you. But to suggest it automatically becomes outdated is just bowing to market forces in a really stupid way.

I intend to use and look after my X200 for a long, long time.

I used my Q6600 + 8800GT build for like 8 years just fine on a 1080p monitor tough I don't play AAA shit.
I only upgraded because one day it refused to boot. The POST code said something about chipset error so I guess the motherboard died from old age.

i have an Athlon X2 6000+ with 4GB RAM running a gitlab instance, gitlab runner and a bunch of databases i use for testing / playing around.

>going back TWENTY FIVE years

the absolute state of intcel. Why are computers so SHIT.

Attached: satania laughing.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

I built a Core2Duo 8400 setup with 4 gb of 800 RAM and a 260gtx for my skitzo friend to post on Jow Forums and play TF2 and its perfect. He can even play youtube vids minimized for music and it doesnt stutter too much while getting 100 fps in Tf2.

>I don't even think they can handle 1080p...
you wouldn't use such resolution with software renderers, or are you hardware retarded?

I can do 1080p gaming with my q9550 and hd4870 easily on anything pre-2012, like every 360/ps3 that got a native pc port

Zoomer post

The 3700 is probably only gonna do well at being an XP era gaming machine for all those games that hate multiple cores and anything past stock XP, probably woreth trying to get an HD4870 / 9800GT for that
The Q6600 you can probably turn into a completely passively cooled wankstation

>a decade
Considering that right now i use a Pentium 4 3.2ghz / ATI 9250 128mb AGPx8 / 2GB DDR1 400mhz and although it's a bit slow i can do basic stuff just fine, except from viewing YT videos, the gpu can't handle anything above 720p so i drag the links and stream them in MPC-BE, everything else is pretty much fine, a bit slow but fine.

Those are both 64 bit CPU's with a host of instructions that my Pentium 4 lacks, and I can do just about anything with this lappy, aside from play games. With webgl, even browsing the internet is a breeze on this thing. Thanks based Intel, for the great Linux support.

Attached: Screenshot.png (1024x768, 1.04M)

Phenom's shit on core 2 craps. Try again incel.

Do Phenom processors support virtualization?

Finally a gentleman and a scholar.
I have exactly the same setup! Glad to see I'm not the only human on this planet that cares a bit about how stuff performs on old shit (if it can be made to work decently on old shit it will work amazingly fast on new shit).

Just install an SSD and win10 and do anything
>I don't even think they can handle 1080p...
It can handle 1080p fine
Also overclock the Q6600 to 3 or more GHz

Attached: speccy spaghetti.png (734x561, 47K)

GTA 5 runs fine for me

>105W TDP
>passively cooled

I’m still using my i7 920 from the 2000s. It was a good futureproof purchase at the time.

YesIt's exactly what I'm doing with a Phenom II X4 970 based build, did you not know you could undervolt and underclock a CPU or something?

The Q6600 should handle 1080p just fine.

The athlon will struggle with online streaming but should playback blu-ray on VLC just fine

I gave away my Q6700 based desktop to a guy and the only issue he has with it is using 30+ chrome tabs on 4gb ram.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (520x360, 29K)

Good plan