Make cyberspace weird again

How do we make the internet weird again?

I remember when I was a teen in the 90s I could come home and go on the internet.

On an average day I would surf a website by someone trying to convince the world that sperm causes cancer. And then I could visit another website about how there should be stronger protection against bestiality because of how it could traumatize animal rape victims. Finally, I could go on a site advocating human extinction via suicide as a way to solve the problem of evil.

This was a typical day on the old internet.

Today's internet seems tame an dull by comparison.

How can we make the internet weird and quirky like it was back the?

Attached: strawberrypoptart.jpg (750x352, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=50A8iCuC2ew
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

wiby.me/surprise

How about you go and create your own content?
If no one is making content you like, that's the only way.

We need to take the programing socks to a place without poltards or normies

Most of the weirdness was sucked out of self hosted and geocities websites for internment in "social media" where it seldom leaks out to irradiate us.

Kill yourself faggot

>teen
Everything is new and exciting when you are a kid. Now, you are a bitter adult and things are normalized? Crazy shit there. The internet did not really change in content. You just got bored of the weird shit and moved on. As said, you can see the old shit with wiby, but there is plenty of really weird shit out there on the modern web too if you know where to find it. The issue is that now that you are older, you are lazy and lack the drive to seek it out. Go on some onion sites. Go to some old shit that is not indexed. You will see TONS of fucked up shit, some still actively updated. You just need to stop being a lazy Jow Forumsayfag poster and look for it.

Attached: 7ef.jpg (600x600, 32K)

>The internet did not really change in content.
t. 19-year-old

Suck my dick straightfag

All the old shit is still there is my point. The content did not change. Just what is popular did. People still make disco music, but the popular notion is disco is dead. For someone calling others young, you sure sound like an entitled stereotypical millennial that wants content, but refuses to make anything himself. Fuck off to wiby and fuck off of this board, kid.

see >create your own content / apps
>resist design norms (don't try to replicate one of the billions templates which look just the same)
>stop being a cooperate cog

the second problem is discovery
>how do you find these pages?

More link directories. An user from Jow Forums made a pretty good one on neocities if you want to check it out: peelopaalu.neocities.org

weird and quirky doesn't mean good

neocities

why did forums died again?

They died for our social media sins, but will make a second coming

Kill all women and everyone with a smartphone

bring back the soviets

Try to write anything not approved by the mainstream media and you'll get ostracized, vilified and shun by all humanity.
I wanted to create my own website - oldschool manually in HTML - but opinions presented there would be probably so shocking for average people that someone would want to kill me.

I've been considering getting a domain name and hosting a web 1.0 website with my own content. I just can't come up with any weird projects.

>hosting a web 1.0 website with my own content
isn't that what is for?

neocities is fighting the good fight

i want to see the conclusions of this study.

>On an average day I would surf a website by someone trying to convince the world that sperm causes cancer. And then I could visit another website about how there should be stronger protection against bestiality because of how it could traumatize animal rape victims. Finally, I could go on a site advocating human extinction via suicide as a way to solve the problem of evil.
Sounds like an average day on Jow Forums

not really.
i guess you're pretty new, right?
it's ok to be new, i'm not complaining.

>I just can't come up with any weird projects.
it's strange that the web is so commercialized today. because you could make a lot of projects but you're probably better off creating a neat website around it so recruiters / customers can find you or create some youtube video so you can get adsense.
I've created a tons of small and bigger projects. A few were only shared with a small group of people or within small communities (like Jow Forums). Most of them were never published and only a few selective few where published for the world to see. Why? Because of this perverse incentive structure which punishes everyone who isn't a one dimensional worker drone

Attached: aaaaz.png (746x142, 49K)

Not OP but I share some of his views.
>Everything is new and exciting when you are a kid. Now, you are a bitter adult and things are normalized? Crazy shit there.
In my case I did return to the roots by updating a 10 year old /cyb/ FAQ which even then was getting stale. It was a huge task, still not finished. So one can be critical without being bitter, and still recover the good things from the past.

>The internet did not really change in content.
Oh but it did. Crazytown was paved over by Google, Apple, Facebook and their sheep.
>You just got bored of the weird shit and moved on.
No. I missed the weird and brought back gems from the past and updated it with what is happening. The FAQ is full of info about what remains of the underground. It still is there.

>All the old shit is still there is my point
Not really. Websites I did visit as a kid don't exist anymore mostly, or weren't updated for 5-10 years. The old stuff was mostly self-hosted, hosted on providers that either died or weren't paid for for ages or are kept without sql making them effectively dead. Sadly, these pages sometimes had priceless info that's now lost to time.

>I wanted to create my own website - oldschool manually in HTML
Why not keep the old school spirit of SHARING INFORMATION without having to resort to pure html and gifs? It's as if you were a zoomer trying to fit a retro aesthetic and had nothing to really share or to say.

90-10 rule. Now divide the 10% of posters posting here to the 10% that has anything worthwhile to share or to say that'd warrant a website for it.

That's why we have thumbs up and upvotes, so retards with nothing to contribute don't have to spam "I like OP's idea!!!!".

Also don't forget google prioritizing huge aggregators, and youtube and reddit.

>internet weird
It was nerdy not weird, you normalfag.

>a 10 year old /cyb/ FAQ
the one from the current /cyb/ thread?

Yes. Preview 28, and I am working on Preview 29, expecting to release it in a few days time. I used to be a Wikipedia contributor (NOT editor) and I got fed up with the endless deletionist politics and barnstaring so I just do this now as a project.

The actual answer to this is to make the internet difficult to use again. Force dial up, remove CSS, Lower computing power, ban phones.

Things that are never going to happen.

You could just find a weird websites by going into a search engine, smashing your head against a keyboard and clicking the first result.
video related
awgo;jdf;kl
youtube.com/watch?v=50A8iCuC2ew

>On an average day I would surf a website by someone trying to convince the world that sperm causes cancer. And then I could visit another website about how there should be stronger protection against bestiality because of how it could traumatize animal rape victims. Finally, I could go on a site advocating human extinction via suicide as a way to solve the problem of evil.
I browse Jow Forums and have the same experience every day.

Usenet News was comfy.
I remember reading it on a 9600 bps terminal, text only, single keystroke navigation. It was efficient for "drinking from the firehose".

it's very simple, up until the late 2000s the internet was a place you had to "go". It was an inherently exclusionary activity and so was mostly populated by asocial weirdos. with the advent of smartphones and the death of desktop computing the internet was now everywhere all the time, which seemed cool at the time but instead just made it easy for norms and old people to permeate and dismantle every aspect of internet culture.

>up until the late 2000s the internet was a place you had to "go". It was an inherently exclusionary activity and so was mostly populated by asocial weirdos
Not true
Up to 1995 it was mainly defence and academia, 1995-2005 was mainly business, and 2005 - was the age of stupid.

Reddit has subs that anyone can find easily. As long as you don't mind not talking about politics it's an ok day to get info, sometimes the sub had opinions that are very bug man though.

Maybe you like gopher. Its still around and its text only.
gopher.floodgap.com

Get rid of the corporate """content""" spam faggotry that shits up the web, and remove walled gardens like facebook and discord and all the blogging platforms, so people who have something to say need to make their own site rather than just posting it on some shit like twitter/facebook/instagram/etc. Make it impossible to make tons of money online, like a flat out ban on ads or some shit, I dunno. Basically remove consumerism and profit-motive from it and revert back to the old days of people making websites and posting weird or interesting shit than other reason than that they felt like it.

Go, make your next image board.