Why is usb C not a standard for laptop charging?

I wanna buy a new laptop, but the majority of models still have their own proprietary power supply. Most have USB C ports, but are they able to be charged through them too, or are they simply for file transfering?
Also, if USB type C can stream video like HDMI, why are newer TVs not supporting usb c connections?

Has this technology been a failure?

Attached: 01.jpg (1600x1600, 128K)

Other urls found in this thread:

androidauthority.com/state-of-usb-c-870996/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think we'll see this as a trend in the coming years

>the majority of models still have their own proprietary power supply
Probably want extra bucks for the stuff if it breaks.

>why are newer TVs not supporting usb c connections
Most TV's are like 5 years behind tech trends either way.

>Has this technology been a failure?
Not if you buy an Apple Macbook Pro 13" With Retina Display (TM).

Uh, MacBook?

Fuck usb standards and fuck usb c.

That's why.

laptop chargers have been money makers all along. they're literally made as cheaply as possible, no desire given to engineering them to be smaller and work for multiple devices - exactly the opposite. a five cent plastic connector is the only difference in most cases, the voltage differences are often negligible.

>Applel actually does them right
>but rip off users when it comes to adapters
Such a weird timeline.

Most of the laptops out there are not using proprietary supply, but it's just too difficult for normies to understand. You can actually use any laptop charger on any laptop as long as:

1. voltage matches (e.g. 19V)
2. output current is sufficient (e.g. 3.42A for 65W)
3. Barrel plug is the same size (e.g. 5.5mm*2.5mmm, 4.0mm*1.35mm)

USB 4 uses only USB-C type connectors and has Thunderbolt 3 compatibility by default

The nightmare of different specs and connnectors may finally be over, but the problems of video output / charging / whatever may still exist for some time

USB C is, and has always been, a mess. While I don't object to the idea of USB C in theory, they really need to split it into two standards: high-powered and low -powered, with subtle differences between the two so that you can't plug a low-powered cord into a high-powered outlet and fry whatever you're trying to charge or transfer files to.

Isn't that shit regulated by the controller inside the cable either way?

I thought that cpus that supported USB C were already hardcoded to know which voltage the device could take i.e, a high powered one would not fry the device.

I mean, in theory USB C was the perfect port. It was reversible, could stream video, fast transfer speeds, fast charging, etc. Kinda sucks it is just not being utilized to its full potential. I'm not even sure most phones with USB could output video with that port.

You have to keep in mind that usb-c supports maximum of 100w so certain high performance laptops will not have usb-c charging just because of that limitation.

To my knowledge, you can't fry a device with usb-c, but you are correct in saying it's a fucking mess.
androidauthority.com/state-of-usb-c-870996/

ironic as fuck, i know.

ironic tonight i needed to charge my thinkpad but all i could find was my brick charger for the pro book.....no reason they shouldn't have the same interface, fuck it's all just positive, negative, and ground.

Fuck USB C I want MagSafe back.

well it's better having 1 type-c + 1 DC than only 1 type-c for charging+data

I can charge my thinkpad with a 10W USB charger over night.

Usb c isn't the future
Magsafe was, before apple secided to ditch it in a grave

1) USB-PD has a 100w limit, which means charging anything other than an ultraportable is a no-go.
2) Indeed, most have USB-C just for data. Even though the port you see is always the same, the implementation can vary a lot, both in features and cost. Apple, for all the flak they get for being overpriced, put 4 TB3 ports on the newer MacBook Pros which can also charge the laptop at full speed. Those are the most feature rich USB-C ports you'll find on the market. Look up a teardown and PCB analysis to understand how expensive it is to implement. IIRC, just the two TB3 controllers add 70-100$ to the BoM.
3) TVs don't have USB-C from the same reason they don't have displayport. The TV manufacturers don't like to mess with non-standardized ports, since TVs are mass consumption devices and normies are dumb. Besides, they have their own consortium through which they can easily set their own standards through HDMI, complete with physical design, speed, features and DRM. If they wanted to implement USB-C, they would need to either join the USB forum in order to get the features they need or be at the mercy of the existing members.
Imagine having to migrate a feature such as HDMI ARC from HDMI to USB-C. Sure, the encoding process and technical details can be set in a day or two. But imagine how long it would take for all the sound system manufacturers to actually implement it, since it has no backwards compatibility.

They are not proprietary you cunt.

There are non-apple laptops which can. It's being rolled in slowly, and primarily via USB-C docking stations which are pretty common in business these days. I'm posting this from a Dell Latitude charging off USB-C right now, for example. The problem is largely twofold from what I can tell:
>most USB-C charging is done at 60W which isn't enough for the full draw of a lot of laptops
>like every fucking thing else that charges off USB-C, absolutely every laptop that does it ignores the standard so you vaguely risk ruining shit if you charge with off-brand/different-brand chargers

Don't they usually have some digital communication crap that doesn't allow the battery to charge if it fails detection (or charges at ridiculously low rate), even if the specs are otherwise correct.

Very few chargers will do that. PC makers are not apple.

And I just read through this thread and find most of it a joke honestly. We are not charging a cellphone, we are filling up energy storage with a device that can also suck it down. My tablet charges at 80 watts. My PC uses 110 idle, laptop under load can pull 220 watts.

If you try to push that much current through a type C connector you will melt your port.
If you want to use a low powered PC or something is one thing but to demand that all mobile PC's are forced into a low power draw is just stupid.
Bricks will stay, the need for external high to low voltage is needed and the connecter needs a good signal. Even the current designs on some laptops still melt the port due to the amount of current going through it. A tiny type C port won't work for all cases.

idk what you're talking about, almost all ultrabooks that aren't made for the nigger price point have usb-c charging.

both apple's and lenovo's own proprietary ports were better than usb-c. usb-c is fine for phones but laptops require something more rigid

>Probably want extra bucks for the stuff if it breaks.
You can still use type c and pull that kind of shit. The HP Spectre I think uses type c, but won’t charge unless you use their charger.

There's so much to choose from. Why not make another standard instead?

Attached: usb-connector-types.jpg (474x480, 36K)

pretty sure it is standard in all new laptops

>fry whatever you're trying to charge or transfer files to.
i dont think this is possible ive charged my phone with my x1 yoga charger with no issues

currently it costs more.

its also a shitty port for displays, my screen goes blank if i tap my macbook too hard because the usb-c ports are not secure enough fits

>Probably want extra bucks for the stuff if it breaks.
I never had a standard charger break.
>wanting more fragile, thinner charging cables
There's a good reason why the charging connectors are as robust as they are, despite having just two wires - unlike USB-C. And you STILL sometimes see them short, there was user here that had his mobo destroyed by a shorted charging connector not too long ago. So enjoy your housefire.

I'm waiting for USB Rust

Apple has the most standardised charger

most laptop chargers dont provide over 100w so usb c power would be fine on all but hc gayming laptops

>Barrel plug is the same size
yeah no shit and this is the big issue. I've had 6 laptops so far and no two of them have had the same plug

literally everything should be moved to usb-c standard. display, power, data, everything. everything can be stuck into any available port. that would be so nice. i hope they added a bit more wattage to usb 4.

The Lenovo power plug is kino and way more robust than a flimsy USB-C connector. Leave USB-C for charging phones and gadgets. There is literally no point in a USB-C charging laptop. What, do you want to try and charge your laptop from a 2.5W USB power adapter?

>everything can be stuck into any available port. that would be so nice.
that's unrealistic, unnessisary, and retarded.

Not universal, not serial and especially not a fucking bus.

>unrealistic,
100% realistic and already possible except for a few things that require more wattage
>unnessisary,
unnecessary would be having tons of different kinds of connectors. go ahead and tell me why different connectors are necessary?
>and retarded.
nothing retarded about having one simple standard with cables and adapters and ports that can be reused for literally everything you own and with total backwards compaibility forever. it is extremely efficient.

if they added more wattage you could also connect literally any cable to any device, in or out,and have it all daisy chained with one cable per device with perfect performance from any side of the device. it would be brilliant and ultra flexible.

here's the thing with usb c. if you implement every feature that usb c can do, it will be a $100 cable. most of the cables follow a certain amount of the spec for the devices they're designed for but not everything. usb is an incredibly complicated and highly engineered cable and anybody who thinks it would be simple to do what OP describes doesn't understand the fundamental challenges of what it's doing.

Based. Whoever started running the Mac division in 2015 is completely retarded.

if you buy shoddy cables to this day that don't have a 56k ohm resistor, you can still fry your switch.

My laptop wants 250 watt when it's running at load.

>nothing retarded about having one simple standard with cables and adapters and ports that can be reused for literally everything you own and with total backwards compaibility forever. it is extremely efficient.
But they can't, that's why it's fucking retarded. Each USB-C port supports whatever subset of interfaces it chooses and there's no easy way to know. It's bad BECAUSE it tried to do everything and failed.
USB-C is the F-35 of ports.

Attached: 006b4cb89dba97d76e2c439731f80f28020ec97a68b715af21a232f2d1d105ca.jpg (1080x1086, 100K)

its not a failure but i hate usb-c charging for laptops for the reason of sturdyness

a barrelplug is ideal and the thinkpad "slim" connecter is still better since it is decently thick

for smaller devices it is gret but not laptops imo.

the usb size is goat any smaller and shit gets fragile

My Thinkpad T480s charges with USB-C, and that means I can also use a power bank with it. It's pretty fucking neat. The same power bank I use for my phone works just fine to give 1.5 additoinal charge for my laptop. Pretty fucking sweet if you ask me.

Attached: 51NbPfsWP6L._SX569_.jpg (569x569, 17K)

>Also, if USB type C can stream video like HDMI, why are newer TVs not supporting usb c connections?
Because USB C has turned into a confusing clusterfuck of 9001 different things running over the same port with usually no clear indication about what exactly each port (and cable too) does or does not support. HDMI on the other hand is a dedicated connection with a dedicated purpose and pretty much everyone can figure out that if you plug a HDMI source into a TV it will work.

usb-c is totally backwards compatible so i dont know what the fuck youre talking about. everything works, period. i think you are confusing "works" for max performance like the retard you are.
that is really fucking nice. i wanted to use my power banks to charge my laptop for the hurricane and turns out i have to get something with a traditional power outlet. pretty inconvenient that they all havent converted to usb-c yet.

My matebook D charges through usb-c

>everything works, period
if you haven't run into the mass incompatibilities of usb c you haven't used it very much

you could take any 10 random usb c cables and the chances any 2 of them are identical are nearly zero

Yeah. I'm just waiting for some idiot to set his laptop on fire on a plane, because xe used chewed out USB-C charger.

>>>cables and adapters and ports that can be reused for literally everything
>>except they can't, you drooling moron
>u-uh, w-well, at least they're backwards compatible!! so what are you complaining about
How does it feel being mentally deficient?

Attached: 719b7b96c64743a4f60844c3f1683d665d3c09ae897abb04d991e3602a487ac9.png (349x427, 168K)

*plugs in thunderbolt*

it would work, as far as i know.
they dont need to be identical. are you proposing that connectors change every time speed and features go up? having things backwards compatible is a good thing, not a bad thing. if you need the improved features, buy a new cable just as you always had to before you fucking retard.

they're not even close to being backwards compatible, you really know fuck all

clearly you dont know the definition of backwards compatible.

>t. Wasn't alive when every single electronic device had a proprietary connector
While it does slow down the implementation of new tech, the USB standardization has been the best thing to happen to consumer electronics over the last twenty years.

Their capability widely differs, that's the problem. With usb 1 through 3, vast majority of ports AND devices are backwards compatible and work with any other USB device/port. USB-C ports may not even work with many USB-C devices. That's what's retarded about it.

It was good up until USB 3.1. From there on out it was increasingly clear that whatever body is responsible for making decisions is staffed with complete morons.

Attached: 15124357523.jpg (744x587, 111K)

>USB-C ports may not even work with many USB-C devices
pls explain

>USB-C ports may not even work with many USB-C devices
clarify because that doesnt seem to make much sense unless youre trying to talk about power requirements

Not all USB-C ports support video output.

Nintendo is dumb and the Switch isn't compliant with all USB-PD standards, and can overdraw power causing a brick if you use a usb-c cable that isn't Nintendo branded to charge it.

why would they? that requires newer features and standards. you are confusing backwards compatibility and cable compatibility with hardware features.

Worked for a company that had over 300+ laptops in use inside and outside the organization. Out of 100 power supplies, maybe 5-10 will break during their 2 year usage span.

Double or triple that number for docking stations, depending on the model.

What the literal fuck is the point of having a connector that's "capable of doing everything," if you can have ports that vary in feature set? Why don't we just all use coaxial cables, then, or any other connector for that matter?

Because USB A/B does not have this problem.
>with hardware features
Hardware features are the problem. With normal USB the feature IS USB and it's clear what it does; if I have USB shaped cable and plug it into USB shaped hole, it's gonna work (unless it's broken). With C, this is not the case (and I'm not talking about cables here).

>so i dont know what the fuck youre talking about
Maybe you should refrain from your word diarrhea if you do not actually know anything about the topic you're trying to discuss. USB C supports a veritable ocean of features and almost none of them are mandatory, which in practice means that when a device has a type-C port you actually have no fucking idea what that port does or does not support. Can it do video? Is it just USB2.0 on a type-C connector? What speed of USB 3.x does it support? Is it actually Thunderbolt? What Power Delivery specs does it have? Is it a port that receives power, supplies power, or both? What type of charger does it need (there are multiple voltage and current options and chargers don't support all of them, hurray!)? There is no real mandatory, standard set of features that a USB C port has to always support. This means ports CAN NOT be used for "everything" because the only thing they all have in common is the fucking physical shape. The actual features available are all over the place, often even multiple ports on the same device may not all support the same features.

Then you get to ask the same set of questions about every cable you buy too. Because USB C cables aren't just dumb cables anymore, they now come with built-in chips which describe the cable's capabilities. Better make sure you buy a cable with USB 3.14159 Gen 2x4 + Thunderbolt and PD 100W support or your shit won't work despite all the connectors being the same!

>dumb
>can only use Nintendo-branded chargers
Idk mate that does sound pretty smart

>adding new features is a bad thing! i rather have to buy new cables and have all sorts of different random ports and shapes and sizes for each one of those features so i dont get confused like the big baby i am! i dont even want to READ whats on the $1,000 laptop i purchase!
kys

That's literally not the problem at all. Image if you bought a TV and none of the RCA jacks were color-coded; that's USB-C.

>get the newest cable for the newest feature
>it works with literally every other usb-c product youve ever owned
>old usb-c cable is all you have left after one broke
>lots of the features still work! miraculous! you didnt have to wait 3 days for a new one to be shipped and your work can continue!

i dont see what youre confused about. only a fucking retard would think having lots of different connectors and cables is a good thing. it literally has zero value while identical ones objectively has some of value.

Because you can't shove 200W through a fucking USB port.

>only a fucking retard would think having lots of different connectors and cables is a good thing
They're different because they do different things, you moron. That's the point. Looking at a mobo backplate and knowing which ports it has is good, and knowing where to connect the cable by simply looking is also good. If everything was USB-C you'd know fuck all from that.

Yes, I can tell you're confused and it all stems from this fundamental misunderstanding:
>lots of the features still work

Lots of features WON'T work, because the port itself doesn't feature the capabilities you might have thought it had. Similarly, the cable you bought might not even work because it's a fairly common practice for manufacturers to strip out lines for extra cost saving. Ever bought a micro USB that only charges and doesn't do data transfer? That's why. It'd be perfectly fine if as with RCA jacks, each USB-C port was specifically designated as doing X, but as it stands with current manufacturing practices, you have no real clue what features are and aren't supported by this port.

To give an example, many phones which ditch the 3.5mm jack and use only the USB-C can be made to route audio one of two ways. 1, they can simply route the same analog signal from the onboard DAC that would have gone to the 3.5mm jack to the USB port. Or, 2, they can route audio digitally, which requires the use of an external DAC. From the port alone, the end user has no idea which type of audio routing the USB-C port features until they buy an extra adapter to find out.

>the port
the port of the product you bought? why would you assume it has features that arent listed on the product? its a connector, with available features. do you propose we have 30 different connectors for all the available features like the retard below?
>theyre different because they do different things
so youre proposing we hav 30 different ports and cables? because that just how fast features get added to usb all the time. or wait, do you suggest we not add new features at all? you are literally brain dead.

Holy fuck, you're stupid.

At the same time you're arguing "well, of course~ the USB-C port doesn't feature every~thing, that'd be stupid~." You're also going, "well, of course~ we should only have one port, having a port for every~thing would be stupid~."

Ok, which new features that don't already have their own port were added?

firewire charging when