Do you prefer open offices, cubicles, offices, or remote?

Do you prefer open offices, cubicles, offices, or remote?

Attached: Facebook HQ.png (1023x768, 2M)

Other urls found in this thread:

mentalfloss.com/article/84222/open-offices-are-bad-productivity-study-finds
beta.washingtonpost.com/business/2018/07/18/open-office-plans-are-bad-you-thought/
inc.com/geoffrey-james/7-ways-open-plan-offices-make-workplaces-toxic.html
entrepreneur.com/article/325959
twitter.com/AnonBabble

whatever allows me to browse Jow Forums while working

Well I work in London so I don't have a choice.

A regular office without all this hipster bullshit. If I wanted to play videogames, I'd play them at home.

Oh god fuck places like that should be filled with dynamite and blown up to pieces, preferably with people who think that that is fine inside.

Remote, so long as people are actually good at getting back to you when you email or message them.

Just imagining the constant noise makes my head hurt.

Open offices encourage collaboration and teamwork.

Attached: openoffice2.png (1267x699, 1.21M)

Closed office that requires the dept access card to enter.

Semi-open pods that are walled off. It'd be great to have a proper walled off group just for our team instead of just open everything with pods.

So does a shared passion for what you're doing, even if you're working remotely.

I'm not totally opposed to it but gotta keep the shit under reasonable dimensions. A fucking hall full of people is just too much background noise to get shit done. A large room like in your pic can work.

Depends on the job. If it's a 6 figure job then give me a fucking office.

I prefer classrooms

Attached: over 1100 members.jpg (1280x720, 139K)

Concrete bunker

having experienced each of these setups I can safely say it's remote. why?
>you can basically work whenever you want
>you have no commute
>you dont get involved in any office drama
>no peer pressure
>you can live very cheaply while earning the same wage as you coworkers you live in
it's the perfect setup

Attached: 1557105673462.png (1000x1000, 170K)

Open is complete cancer
Cubicles is alright depending on the layout and size
Offices are great but a bit lonely
Remote is nice but risky and also lonely

Cubicles can do that just fine without removing all of your privacy and personal space

>open offices
Absolute cancer, hate that shit. Never again.
>cubicles
As comfy as it gets if you have to go to the office to work
>offices
What's the difference?
>remote
The best choice if you have it, assuming you're autistic enough to not need any social interaction outside slack.

That's how my office does cubicles, everyone in a team gets an L desk at the corner of a big square, and there is only a doorway sized entry into the team cubicle group

Name one other office setup that
>Allows you to control the mental state of workers through workspace setup (colored walls, arcade games, fun slides) to reduce their vulnerability to a childlike, exploitable state by authority
>Forces the proximity principle to maintain constricting authority among managers and higher/lower ranked peers
>Makes it easy to "sweep up" terminated workers for the next wave of H1Bs/freshmeat college grads
Not to mention the added bonus of your extreme extrovert CEO loving it. He came from a rich background where no barriers meant unchecked freedom and control over others. Helps him feel RIGHT at home, watching and making sure you get in your "extra mile" every day.

Attached: 1534828781975.png (1000x800, 44K)

>offices
>What's the difference?
Individual offices for everybody, kind of like professors at a university.

Oh, never had one. Guess that's nice.

Have worked in a quad office before, working in a single office now, they're both decent. Cubicles really aren't a thing in Europe, open offices don't seem to catch on either, both seem cancerous anyway, and I doubt I'd have the discipline for remote office.

Problem is they would pay you less eventually

Wherever your mom is at, at the time, works for me.

That's what I want to be honest. Right now we have an open office, but it's pretty segmented, there's no hard walls though, but plenty of carpet and other sound dampening stuff, AC has a lot of white noise and whatnot, but I really want a proper wall between pods or at least between the walk way.

Do you know how much it costs to get people via h1b?

I just want my own damn office with enough privacy that I can play vidya when I need a break from work.
It'll make me unbelievably productive and I'll never leave the company that offers it to me.

I am so fucking sick of open offices, especially when you have to pretend to work because you don't have anything to do.

Remote is god tier. You are able to work at your own pace, take breaks. Slack off on lazy days.

Even better is when you travel to company events onsite, you actually appreciate your coworkers. At least, providing the culture is not shit.

I love meeting my team during events. It's a blast. And not being around them all the time doesn't make them insufferable.

>promotion and performance appraisal
>user does his stuff on time in good quality
>Jeff may not be as good as user but he does more value added stuff, like the bring your family to work day
>yeah Jeff helped me with some personal issues too, I think he's the better fit for the next regional manager
>user thanks for your service but we need drones who are more approachable
t. Jeff

It's usually like $15k for all the fees, lawyers etc. But there's no shortage of homegrown talent these days especially in software engineering. For something like PhD researchers obviously they still hire foreigners.

Had a CEO like this, except no fun activities. He instead just beat the soul out of you, thinking you were worthless. The company was full of vulnerable people. Siblings with cancer, divorcees, people moving from a new life. He preyed on the weak and destroyed their sense of self worth. Guy was a clinical psychopath.

>My boss invites the engineering team to a shooting range day on his ranch
I feel like I hit the company culture jackpot
Too bad the pay isnt that great

You can take lower pay if the environment is good. It's about long term survival in that case, doesn't matter how much you make if you hate it.

Its also 5 min from my house which is pretty rad

Far less still than the cost of domestic qualifying workers with any sort of high demand talent.

My team (7 people) had a separate big room on my last job. That was pretty nice. Now I work in an open office. It's pretty sparse, and there are small (~1 meter) walls between section. I really prefer the former.

>because you don't have anything to do
>wants to be given autonomy

You don't deserve it.

There's always work to be done. Always. Smart people find new problems to solve and they solve them. Smart people find new ways to make money. I have literally never had a single moment at work where I thought to myself "wow, there's nothing to do right now". That holds true from my job scooping ice cream as a teenager, to manual labor in college, to now as a bay area software engineer for the last 5 years.

If you regularly "have nothing to do" at work, you are an outright brainlet. You do not deserve any autonomy over tour time.

That shit should only be tolerated if it’s a fortune 50, and then you get your time in and get the fuck out once your resume looks enticing enough.

I just want to lock the door after lunch and take a nap for 40-60 minutes.

straight up psychopath jeez

Open Offices are a spreading cancer in Europe.
I work in a giant one.
It is only possible in recently built office buildings though, in the old buildings you have a very reasonable 4-8 people per room

Nah, I used to work for a company where everything had to be booked to a cost code, and they didn't assign codes to shit until it was too late.

I was told off loads of times for working on things that needed to be done but didn't have a budget. Eventually I just gave up and started spending most of my day doing CPD, but sometimes I just opened up a spreadsheet and stared blankly at it, it was fucked.

Fortune 50s are filled with people walking on eggshells. Everyone knows they're just a cog in the machine, and all F50s have HR departments that will jettison you instantly if you don't use a tranny's preferred pronouns.

That type of abuse is only seen at small to midsize private companies.

t. Worked at midsize private company with rich psycho CEO. Everyone was genuine -- there were regular shouting matches, no HR, people spoke their mind. Moved to an F50 last year and everyone is completely neutered. Everyone is afraid to say anything controversial.

In my country, if you work from home then your rent and utility bills are tax deductible as well.

>Tell the taxman you work from home 10 hours a day, 5 days a week
>That means 30% of your rent is tax deductible

HOLY SHIT

What a dumb humblebrag
Consider that not every job is the same as yours
I work in IT and there's frequently times with nothing to do. (Everything working fine. All tickets cleared. Etc.) I'm not going to just log into a client system randomly to start fucking around to randomly optimize shit cause then its an issue with billing.

You are the reason why so many companies are toxic as fuck.

the field

You're right, when work is done you go home.

I see them as a distraction. But that's just me.

I prefer being self employed, working at home, and living a great life

Semi open office. Separate departments with their own open space

>I work in IT

Thanks for confirming that you're a brainlet

How am I toxic? I'm truthful. If you can't find ways to make yourself useful without strict guidance, you're not intelligent. I don't go around saying this to people at work, but it's still true.

If work can ever theoretically be "done" for you, you're working a brainlet job.

Willing to bet you are wearing glasses, are growing a beard and are either fat or really skinny like a wimp
In other words you're a bitch that relies on passive aggression because you know that in any physical confrontation you'd get your shit pushed in

Only one small problem - no demand for remote. 100500 pajeets for each and every position.

Enjoy your early 30s burnout

What slack?

Email.

Become a professor first.

Open plan is a fucking cancer. It has been proven to decrease productivity, but employers want a panopticon to make sure they can always see their wagies.

>If you can't find ways to make yourself useful without strict guidance, you're not intelligent
Just because I've solved all the tasks of the day early doesn't mean I'm not useful.

People aren't just paid for doing work all day but for their ability to do work promptly and on time. I am paid because my boss knows I can solve whatever task he needs of me. It doesn't mean that I have to be thinking up bullshit tasks to solve all day.

Not who you responded to, but we use Wire. The more you use it, the longer it takes to start up, though. I brew an entire pot of coffee after starting Wire up, and it's still not done by the time it's finished brewing.

Sounds pretty fucking awful.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could remove posts older than, say, a week, without locking everybody's ability to edit messages. But there's probably tens of thousands of messages made over the past year or so, and Wire needs to decrypt them all. In a fucking electron app at that.

what in the actual fuck

>especially when you have to pretend to work because you don't have anything to do
Whenever this happens to me I just browse the hot network questions on Stack Overflow

I prefer to not work at all.

An office with one outdoor-facing window and a solid locking door. Productivity skyrockets with that type of work environment design.

mentalfloss.com/article/84222/open-offices-are-bad-productivity-study-finds
beta.washingtonpost.com/business/2018/07/18/open-office-plans-are-bad-you-thought/
inc.com/geoffrey-james/7-ways-open-plan-offices-make-workplaces-toxic.html

entrepreneur.com/article/325959

I'm a PhD student and I have my own office. It's a wonderful feeling.

What is risky about remote?

Your department must think you're a god or something. How did you swing that?

Exactly. In the same way that having no fences or sound-absorbing walls makes you best friends with your neighbours.

on the roof
>full emo mode

Depends on the field. (Smaller) open offices are better for design work, including webdev, UI/UX, gamedev faggotry or whatever where regular input from peers is important. Giving people a cubicle or office is better to get them to sit down and do some technical work but that's less common these days weirdly enough.

We have a lot of empty space.

If even Facebook and Google can't afford to give their workers an office, I don't know who else can.

Imagine actually advocating for remote working

>Not building social skills
>Not building office connections
>Not forming a human connection with your managers who can give you a sweet letter of recommendation
>Not getting that promotion because noone feels like they know you
>Half the time they forget you even work there, unless you do something wrong
>Never being the manager's favourite, not like Steve, he's a good egg that lad. Always on time. Always knows his stuff
>Ending up with depression due to social isolation

>Just quietly wage slaving away in the background never getting noticed or promoted

I guess if you're so timid you'd rather do the bare minimum and never be promoted or take any leadership or growth opportunities, all because you're petrified of making small talk with Brenda while you make coffee, then I guess it's ideal. But what a sad life that is.

Attached: messydesk.jpg (2602x1608, 979K)

He probably has a regular phd or postdoc style 2/3 person office, but they've just not needed the extra space yet.

>Weapon of DURGASOFT

gets me everytime

>look at this Chad over here
Again it depends on the job. For jobs with low growth opportunities, what you described is real. I work remote 90% of the time but also attend conferences and meet clients.

Unironically am aspie so let me reply:

>>Not building social skills
wasted time, like smoking breaks

>>Not building office connections
Rarely result in promotions, also why spend time with people from a place that is not built to be fun

>>Not forming a human connection with your managers who can give you a sweet letter of recommendation
How often does this happen in your life? I quit, get a new job and ask for more. Easier.

>>Not getting that promotion because noone feels like they know you
see right above

>>Half the time they forget you even work there, unless you do something wrong
That is especially the case for sys and network admins. Do you see them, unless you are one?

>>Never being the manager's favourite, not like Steve, he's a good egg that lad. Always on time. Always knows his stuff
The manager's favourite is the most gullible, as they do extra work for same pay.

>>Ending up with depression due to social isolation
lmao, not requiring social contacts due to superior brain wiring keeps me sane.

Drive me up the fucking wall with cringe small talk about work related topics with dumb co-works clogging up the photocopier.

I can't tell if you're joking.

As a developer, the fastest way to increase my pay it to just get a new fucking job. I really don't give a fuck what the managers think of me at my job, because if they aren't progressing my salary fast enough I'll just bail.

Social skills are literally just like programming or any other skills. They have to be practised and learnt. They aren't something you're born with.

I legitimately have to actively practice them, because I'm also on the spectrum and those skills do not come naturally to me. (Most people develop them subconsciously without really thinking about what they're doing. Not having that happen and having to put conscious effort in helps growth in a way. Normal people often stagnate and stay in their comfort zone)

Switching jobs works in the short term. But the true high-paying and rewarding jobs are senior developer, CTO etc. Those involve mentoring and teaching junior developers, code reviews, leading planning sessions and architecting solutions. All of which require personable skills and charisma.

Even your beloved sysadmin, preserve of the shut-in anti-social remote worker. To progress you become the company's representative and will need to liaise with company management, non IT, external companies to procure services etc.

Some people are happy doing the low-level code monkey work 8 hours a day, and want nothing more. But you're at risk of being replaced by a 22 year old who will happily take home 20k less than you.

It's also kind of boring. Any idiot can write code. Planning and structuring good code, and distributing / reviewing it from an entire team of junior developers is much more varied and interesting.

I would like to have a cubical that actually separates me from all the normies running behind my back ALL DAY LONG!!!

The lack of people saying they want individual offices or remote ITT is extremely disturbing. It's like young people nowadays can't even imagine that as a possibility. Jesus H Christ, we're truly a wageslave generation.

Attached: wagie.jpg (1137x640, 143K)

>Social skills are literally just like programming or any other skills. They have to be practised and learnt. They aren't something you're born with.

True, but the overall capability to how social you can be is genetic or at least an aspect of neurogenesis in early age. I'm thinking of solitary animals.

>I legitimately have to actively practice them, because I'm also on the spectrum and those skills do not come naturally to me.
Yes that is what bothers me as well, NTs have hardwired shortcuts. Meanwhile we run a poor software emulation of it that is slow but gets the job done.

>Switching jobs works in the short term. But the true high-paying and rewarding jobs are senior developer, CTO etc.
In short term correct. I'd plan to reduce the frequency with increasing age for stability. Or when I can settle for a good senior paygrade.

>Even your beloved sysadmin, preserve of the shut-in anti-social remote worker. To progress you become the company's representative and will need to liaise with company management, non IT, external companies to procure services etc.
Usually it is sufficient to tend to forced parties like a summer barbecue on company grounds for a few hours. Be seen, leave as early as the first superior. No one will say a thing.

>Some people are happy doing the low-level code monkey work 8 hours a day, and want nothing more. But you're at risk of being replaced by a 22 year old who will happily take home 20k less than you.
The risk of getting greedy or being overqualified. But those short term code-monkeys will struggle long term supporting their own code.

>It's also kind of boring. Any idiot can write code. Planning and structuring good code, and distributing / reviewing it from an entire team of junior developers is much more varied and interesting.
See above, but yes. There are whole series of books that don't focus on how to program, but how to stick to quality standards.

Best coding practices, etc.

I refuse to work until I am given sex

>individual offices
This literally is not an option outside academia or maybe law firms.

why did those bars immediately remind me of this

Attached: 871px-Masonic_SquareCompassesG.svg.png (871x1024, 128K)

The only single place where serious programming can be done is while sitting on the loo.

I prefer a nice, comfy cage for me to work and live in. When I work extra hard Mr. Noseberg rewards me with extra opioid-infused food pellets and ketchup packets.

Attached: wagie.jpg (876x584, 122K)

>True, but the overall capability to how social you can be is genetic or at least an aspect of neurogenesis in early age. I'm thinking of solitary animals.

So is your ability to program, yet you (presumably) try to improve your ability to do that each day.

I hate open plan workspaces. I like my privacy and being able to focus in on what I'm doing. When I want to ask someone for something I'll go to their cubicle. If I want to socialise I'll go to the kitchen area. In these communal hipster bullshit workspaces everyone just sits with headphones on anyway its not like anyone's actually interacting with each other. What's worse is its essentially the managers getting their employees to spy on each other so you end up feeling guilty for taking a break.

Slavs also fall in the pajeet category my friend. And that is good.

how so

How? What type of work etc? I want out of corporate life.

I quit my last job when management moved us to an open office. So there you go.

Open office is so everyone can keep an eye on everyone else.

In corp world it usually boils down to:

get comfy remote job with a high paying salary but stay in that position forever since no one but the people dependent on your work even know you exist. Live wherever the hell you want, only thing that matters is having a decent uplink.

stuck in office but have ability to network and be closer to upper mgmt making the ladder available for climbing

Option 1 is the more appealing imo. Mgmt is tiresome