What's your stance on this matter Jow Forums

What's your stance on this matter Jow Forums
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy

Attached: 1567921470852.jpg (1024x682, 126K)

It wouldn't be an issue if GNU wasn't such a retarded name with an even more retarded spelling.

Mr. Hates Capitalism Smells A Lot should take a lesson in branding. Nobody is going to go around saying "ganoo", let alone "ganoo slash Linux". Linux sounds cool so people say that.

Stallman is a a disgusting faggot and so are you. The GPL is THE most restrictive license in existence. At the end of the day, open source license don't even matter. If you post your source code online and it is useful, it will be used by others without attribution or payment. Stallman has dedicated his life to something unimportant.

GNU/Linux when talking to people who know their stuff, Linux when talking to noobs, but I always try to get them on calling it GNU/Linux if they show interest. So far i have succeded with 2 people

>Unix
>Linus
>Linux

shouldn't be a controversy, it's crystal clear
there's Linux without GNU, there's GNU without Linux
most major distributions are indeed GNU/Linux
I don't mind when someone uses the term Linux but I'll stick to the correct one

GNU+Linux, or Linux+GNU is the most technically correct term but it sounds pretty dumb when you say it.

GNU is an OS, Linux is a kernel. GNU can use more kernels than just Linux, so I just say GNU. The same as I did when they were using Mach.

Linux is the OS
GNU is the kernel

Well, you don't have to call Holland: The Kingdom of the Netherlands everytime you say it.

And you don't have to call England: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Linux sounds cool. Ganoo+Linux sounds autistic. That's all there is to it.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

you say android and not android/linux
you say linux but not gnu/linux
total ignorance

i will provably make a Shit OS, or at least try to make one OS in a few years when i have a peaceful place with privacy. so who bet money on me?

note: if you will bet money on me for real, do under your own responsibility.

Attached: Son-Goku on vacation form or maybe on happy form.jpg (1373x2025, 436K)

I'd rather call it designated shitting computer OS

nice try poondep
it won't work

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

The Linux kernel is licensed under the gplv2

I understand it, even support calling them that since it is what they are. Just not autistic to flare up when others don't. And when talking to not in the know fags, I don't even bring it up either.

I don't have autism so it's called Linux

Calling Accessories/Windows "Windows" is insensitive.

This is why I use Windows

I call operating systems based on GNU tools and the Linux kernel GNU/Linux to distinguish them from non-GNU Linux distros which use different C library, compiler, coreutils etc.

>So far i have succeded with 2 people
right on my nerdvirgin brother! by this time in 10 years it'll be at least 7 people you've converted.

I agree with Stallman that it's a shame nobody knows about the guy who made ~90% of the operating system that isn't part of the kernel. So when referring to Linux distros that are based around the Gnu tools, I try to use "Gnu/Linux" when I can. That being said, there are now enough Linux distros not based on Gnu tools that the term "Gnu/Linux" is probably not the best way to refer to the collection of Linux distributions that currently exist. So when referring to all Linux distros, Gnu-based or otherwise, I just use "Linux". Just like I don't want Stallman and the Gnu project to go unrecognized for the work they have done for the Linux family of operating systems, I don't want other's work to be attributed to them. I have to imagine that were this explained to the Gnu project most of them would agree as well.
So to sum up:
>Linux refers to all OS with the Linux kernel
>Gnu/Linux refers to the large number of Linux OS built with Gnu tools
And lastly, it's really up to the developers of each OS what name they want to distribute it under. The above is what I think they *should* do, but it's ultimately up to them, and I'm happy to call it whatever name they give it.

Attached: 1554367343230.jpg (637x421, 51K)

I also want to add that despite my support for calling it Gnu/Linux when appropriate, they need to rewrite the faq on the Gnu website. It's literally *only* about the naming controversy. You don't learn anything about the project itself! It really caught me off guard when I first saw it.

Attached: 1551136614159.jpg (1024x683, 48K)

based and normiepilled