Help Wanted

So I bought a pretty high spec gaming rig for my little brother because he's wanted to get into PC Gaming since he was a kid and his birthday just passed. Well, I found a guy selling his rig because he didn't really use it anymore and he had a newer setup anyway. I bought it and brought it home. I decided to set it up to make sure he hadn't left personal stuff on it. So monitor turns on and there's this password screen. Can any of you guys help me with getting past it

Attached: 0908190453a.jpg (4160x3120, 3.56M)

Other urls found in this thread:

computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sorry about the shitty photo. My phones kinda crap.

try removing the battery from the mobo for five minutes, then put it back in.

Give it back Jamal.

I have no idea what that is since I'm kinda of computer illiterate. Sorry if I come off as dumb

You didn't check the system before you bought it used? I'm calling BS.

Its Windows 10

This is the BIOS password entry. Did it come with any drives installed?

Remove power plug, open the case, be shure to not electrocute, remove motherboard battery.

take to tecnichan and ask to solve for you

I think the guy said it had Asus drivers

BIOS passwords on desktop computers can be removed by shorting the CMOS reset/BIOS password jumper. Where it is exactly will depend on your motherboard.

Attached: cmos-jumper-2.jpg (425x327, 40K)

Looks like the BIOS is locked. I'd recommend contacting the guy if you aren't confident enough to look up how to remove the battery from the motherboard.

*drives

computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

We believe in you OP. Just unplug it, open it up, remove the part that looks like pic related for a couple of minutes and then put it all back together and try again.

Attached: image.jpg (720x720, 288K)

You say it's a rig, right? I assume this means the guy built it himself and it's not a prebuilt model. If you're not tech-savvy, the safest bet would be to open it up just for a minute to take a peek inside and try to find out what company made the motherboard -- don't touch anything, just look for a company name or logo or something -- and then close it back up and take it to that company to get the BIOS or UEFI flashed.

Operating system (Windows) and drivers are irrelevant. This is a BIOS/UEFI issue. The BIOS or UEFI (which one it is depends on the model) is a program that runs before the operating system or any drivers even boot. It's the program that starts Windows for you. (Well technically the program that starts Windows is the Windows bootloader. The BIOS or UEFI is actually the program that starts the Windows bootloader for you.) If the computer is locked down with a BIOS/UEFI password, there's nothing you can do to circumvent it short of tampering with the hardware, because there's no way to get any software whatsoever to run on the computer other than that password box you've got there.

give it back Jamal

Give it back you dirty fucking nigger.
If your story were true, you would just call the guy you "bought" it from and ask, but obviously you can't do that because you are criminal scum.

So I looked in the case and the Motherboard looks to be an ASUS

The seller won't respond to my calls, I've tried to contact him but nothings come of it

Ask the seller?

Well, you need to remove the bios battery. If you can't do it, you need to pay someone to do it. Also, this is why you pay using somethign like Paypal, as if there's a problem and he doesn't respond, you can place a hold on him. If he doesn't respond, you get the money back and get to keep the hardware.

bet he was laffin when you didn't even bother to test it before handing the money over

>The seller won't respond to my calls
Probably because you fucking nigger left him dead in his home.
Turn yourself in Jamal.

instructions have already been given to you dumbass

im gonna carve it out in cardboard for you
there's a chip in the motherboard which stores the bios password, this chip can only store it for as long as it has power, if you remove the battery for a few minutes the chip runs out of energy and the data ceases to exist in there and next time it powers on all settings are default and the password is removed

Attached: 119510037940.jpg (342x359, 19K)

>bet he was laffin
No, he wasn't. Since he obviously wasn't present when his computer was being stolen from his home.

I should be able to do it I do a lot of work on models so I thank with a decent guide I'll be able to remove it with out messing up anything

kek

Not him but does this mean that when I have an old computer and can't get it to respect my updated BIOS settings it's because the CMOS battery is dead and the memory I'm saving the settings to can't sustain power through a reboot?

unironically had my house broken into by niggers and the desktop computer was the only thing they didn't steal
shit's not a hot target for precisely this reason

yeah, it cant save anything without power

Alright I've gotten it working and I've removed the Bios password thank you guys for helping me with this

>there's a chip in the motherboard which stores the bios password
true
>this chip can only store it for as long as it has power, if you remove the battery for a few minutes the chip runs out of energy and the data ceases to exist
depends on what type of eeprom is used, laptops for example or ones that aren't shit/old removing the cmos battery won't do dick. And there isn't a cmos reset jumper on laptop motherboards so removing those kinds of bios passwords can be more trickier.

Desktops? Usually always have a CMOS/BIOS reset jumper and is 100% times easier than removing the battery. Find the jumper, short it with a screwdriver, key, whatever, turn the computer on and boop! passwords gone.

Makes sense, but why do they still use volatile memory for BIOS settings?

It's cheap.

so if some fuckwit does this shit or worse, screws up overclocking settings so the computer just doesn't work, you can fix it by resetting everything to default.

Just ask him for the password???

Might be different if your bro in the hood needs a new one though...

>Putting a piece of metal between two specific pins or removing and reinstalling a battery requires to be tech savvy now

The seller is not aware of the transaction yet

>Using a BIOS password
Fucking peasant, VeraCrypt isn't hard to install.

finally someone with even a vague idea of what they're talking about. Brainlets talking about just popping the cmos battery out don't know shit. This may be true for some other settings (time/date, for instance) but not the password.
>Usually always have a CMOS/BIOS reset jumper and is 100% times easier than removing the battery. Find the jumper
pretty much, especially enthusiast boards.

They generally don't

Pretty sure op either Jamal'd somebody and gave us a shit story or he got ripped off by jamal. He says the seller won't respond.

top lel

apparently so.

Op quit being a fucking retard. find the model number on the board or on startup before the password prompt.
Look up the manual or post the model here and i'll look for the relevant info for you if you're too lazy. Chances are you have to short two pins with basically anything conductive, ideally a jumper.

I honestly can't tell if you're just insanely ignorant or a thief who thinks we'll help you if you give a bullshit story. If the latter is the case, you should know this autistic imageboard does not have a groupthink moral compass, and that you should fuck off and become an hero. If you're just retarded, git gud.

I already fixed my problem