Post your ways to increase productivity while coding

Post your ways to increase productivity while coding.
Hard mode: No "switch to X lang"

Attached: banana.png (540x537, 519K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IiwGbcd8S7I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

crystal meth

Any sort of stimulant, including caffiene.

Disable the internet on your machine if you can. If you need documentation, use local files and man pages.

Move to a quiet place without distraction. If your office has an open floor plan, quit.

do I really have to say it?
programming socks

code upside down it increases brain blood

Unplug your computer from the internet

+1

pen and paper has always been my friend. writing notes, designs on paper, todo lists, specific things to work on next day(s), cheatsheets and such.
when I come back next day, I already have a notes what to work on in the morning. when I come back in monday, my wiped memory has something to catch on. I often tend to forget about some weird quirks of rejected designs and why they were rejected.
I often work in some autistic trans and don't remember anything I've done previous days, so this really helps me. It's probably the thing that keeps me functioning.

Caffeine helps.

I don't use it at work so as to avoid building up a tolerance, but drink a huge mug of tea while hobby programming. It keeps me focused.

i used to do it with a regular chair but since i got one of these my coding has improved significantly (they're called inversion chairs make sure you get one with a strap)

Attached: 41NGD2BUTLL.jpg (500x432, 25K)

plug in your butt

im pretty sure that kills you

Coffee helps, but NO SUGAR. Sugar is bad for you, it give you an energy kick but then drops fast. Try switching to water, it's even better.
Listening to radio music is significantly better than listening to soundtracks, at least for me.
Stuck on a problem for a while? Do something else. You'll only waste energy trying to figure out a solution.
Dark mode is a meme, don't fall for it. If you can't stand light themes, try something quieter, but not anything near dark.
Work out as well. Don't spend 24/7 behind a computer.

>no sugar
full retard

My friend is an ex myspace engineer and he uses a custom pully/harness system to pull himself up to his ceiling, so his pc doesn't have to be on the ground. i'll see if i can get a pic.

it's not recommended for people with high blood pressure or other conditions but look online, everyone in silicon valley is doing it to get good

more bloodflow = more brainpower

Does combine cat w/ banana really improve programductivity? How connect to coding rig????

here's a pic

Attached: pengzhou-china-young-man-using-his-lenovo-laptop-computer-while-seated-E48ADM.jpg (1300x953, 179K)

the banana is for potassium smell which is well known to stimulate awakeness

the cat is just in the photo for scale i guess, or you can cuddle him

cardio in the morning

adderall

do you turn your keyboard around as well? surprisingly its more productive typing inverse.

Attached: sp7038294_sc7.jpg (512x512, 43K)

just add some /etc/hosts entries which disable the sites which waste time.

this

i just code in russian or australian which does the trick. there's a bit of a learning curve but the productivity gains make up for it in no time

Don't work in an open office.

I can't work when someone's sitting in front of me or beside me. Literally quitting my job because of that.

This.
>tfw plan to wrote something and end up wasting the day on Jow Forums instead

modafinil
it's not a life-fixer like some claim but it does keep you focused

First, I spend some time reading about the task I'm going to do, do something else, and come back to it.
Once I have a plan, I blast 200 bpm music, and do short bursts (something like 10 to 20 minutes), and take small breaks in-between.

I also uninstalled Fb and Twitter's apps from my phone, but that's because I'm addicted.

This but un-ironically.

Learn one command a day.

In a week you're back to your pre-vim editing speed (if you're used to a good editor with lots of shortcuts you have memorised like VS Code or something. A day or two if you literally just use eclipse and Ctrl-C Ctrl-V or something).

In a month you're going faster than any IDE you've used before, and its effortless (fun even, trying to think of the most concise way to move the contents of these brackets to line 48)

In a year or two you are editing code at the speed of thought.

Attached: vim.png (1200x1202, 106K)

Maximizing productivity isn't that important, IMO. Just have fun coding and make the result something you can be proud of.

how to avoid this? you can find interesting and useful information in the threads, but then again most is shitposting and it's too easy to waste way too much time here. How to deal with this?

I code on a VM. I can control myself within the "work" environment, but basically it's like having a different pc for work than for play.
You could have a second for just coding.

>just bee urself bro
pathetic advice

Amphetamines. Nothing else really works, unless you are lucky enough to get real benefits from placebo.

Self control

which builds:

Habit

Are there any good tutorials for this?
All my work is done on azure machines and right I just use VS Code but its a bit of a pain even though I love it. Im a data engineer and primarily use python, so will it just work out of the box for me?

Attached: 2475898ab484444058defac1e58d2b445b7b1206c296183cc66bc455600b629a.png (960x923, 1.04M)

If you have to ask this question then perhaps you really don’t like coding all that much

Why?

I masturbate before doing any programming.
And, to increase my productivity, I switch to i3wm and disconnect mouse.

Vimtutor is one included with vim, however if you just look up vim guide there are thousands of resources out there.

>download vim
>vimtutor
>:help inside of Vim

also this: youtube.com/watch?v=IiwGbcd8S7I

also no, it won't work out of the box for you. you'll probably won't to configure it a bit and get some plugins.

It works fine out of the box, learn to use it before you start using a plugin for everything.

I've used Vim for two years, and I don't use a plugin for everything. I figured he's wanting features that aren't available in vanilla Vim.

I like coding. I just find myself doing it quite slowly, even when I keep doing without taking a break to eg. browse Jow Forums

Don't force yourself to work when your brain doesn't want to. If you're awake but your mind is wandering, take a walk, get some food, anything. If you're tired, just fucking sleep. I often lock my office door, turn the lights off, and take a nap at work.

Figure out what needs to be done, plan out code to the function level, write high level pseudocode for entire problem, break down pseudocode into small tasks that can be accomplished in the shortest amount of time.

Similarly for each 10 minute task, plan out code basically by line or statement level. If you realize that the problem cannot be solved in 10 minutes properly, write a shitty implementation or skip it altogether for now and come back to it later.

The key idea behind this is that the brain has 2 modes: planning mode and execution mode. Switching between these modes is costly.
When you have this level of tight requirements like:
Write a function that takes an array and removes all elements where x.expirationDate < DateTime.Now, you can probably bang it out without having to think about it.

If writing your software becomes a chain of these simple monkey tasks, because the heavy lifting is already done, you can code lightning fast, and also feel constantly rewarded for making progress.

This. It's just waste of everyones time if you're trying to work when tired. Try to maintain healthy sleep and meal cycles. Drink coffee only if you really need to. Addiction and withdrawals aren't fun.