/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to non-technically assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks
>I9 9900K king of gaming

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>GTX 1660TI / Vega56 - higher fps / more demanding games; only worth it on sale as normal cost is overpriced
>RX 5700 - higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - standard, 70-100FPS+ gaming
>RX 5700XT - high FPS
>RTX 2070Super - higher FPS with the ability for ray tracing
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070Super - budget option.
>2080Ti - best for 4K, but poor value

>RX 570/580 stock is becoming limited as RX 5600 launch approaches

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

more rentry.co/pcbg-more

Attached: 1494754482602.png (1336x1336, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/black-acer-vg271u-pbmiipx-um-hv1aa-p01-27/p/N82E16824011278?Description=Acer Nitro Gaming VG271U Pbmiipx&cm_re=Acer_Nitro_Gaming_VG271U_Pbmiipx-_-24-011-278-_-Product
newegg.com/benq-gw2480-24-full-hd/p/N82E16824014466?Description=BenQ GW2480&cm_re=BenQ_GW2480-_-24-014-466-_-Product
youtu.be/blbu0g9DAGA?t=1502
pcpartpicker.com/product/7MQG3C/intel-660p-series-2tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ssdpeknw020t8x1
pcpartpicker.com/product/nF8j4D/crucial-mx500-2tb-25-solid-state-drive-ct2000mx500ssd1
pcpartpicker.com/product/dQ66Mp/samsung-860-evo-2tb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-76e2t0bam
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

will the 9900ks be worth it or should I just get a 9900k now?

if you're going i9 9900 territory might as well go big or go home

It's literally just a pre-overclocked K, which can already do these clocks easily. It would be like buying a 3600X or 3800X on the Ryzen side.

I'm not located in the US, so every dollar saved is worth a more.

How about running an R5 3600 on an A320 motherboard? On youtube it says its fine. But can you tweak memory settings on A320? I'll be pairing the cpu with cheap 3000/3200 cl16 memory so being able to tune the ram would be great.

if money is an issue get a b450 gaming plus or b450 tomahawk with a r5 2600 or r5 1600
don't shoot yourself in the foot with a shitty mobo that'll prevent you from being able to upgrade your CPU in the future

Im deciding between Sapphire pulse 5700 and EVGA 2060 super SC ultra. Im more inclined towards the 5700 but its a brand new architecture, I heard the drivers are really bad and I just want to play some games. Does anyone have experience with it?

Attached: linus.png (755x877, 879K)

What's the best price/performance ratio CPU/GPU combo right now?

I hate the idea of buying something already obsolete but overpaying as an early adopters is just as retarded.

Attached: 101.gif (294x154, 285K)

Does anyone have experience with it?
the only two problem i ran into with my 5700xt pulse is the inability to turn on some settings in kotor1 and a font glitch in witcher 1
but the card runs very hot when on load so get a 3 fan model or put it on water

Attached: witcher 2019-09-05 10-28-01-79.jpg (1440x810, 246K)

3600 is more future proof than 2600 though. Especially when only running stock, since zen2 OC is crap.

2 years down the line I would like to have a 3600 on a basic board than a 2600 on a quality board.

Or is there something else I am missing?

neither 2600 nor 3600 are future proof when you know that 8c16t is about to become the norm due to consoles switching to this
get a 2600 now and upgrade to a 3700x or 4700x in the future when you'll have more money

5700xt or 2070s? I already bought a 3700x

I like your thinking. In the same reasoning what GPU would you recommend?

honestly either wait for big navi that'll have ray tracing or if you can't wait get a 2070super so you wont miss out on the ray tracing features that'll come in the future
but again this is from the perspective of someone who is a long cycler (6-7 years) so it' now or never to jump on the ray tracing train for the next cycle
for a budget choice i'd say get a 580 or 590 or 1660 ti

Same boat as you bro already got my 3700xt and can't really decide between the two.

The red devil 5700xt is 599.99$ and the GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER WINDFORCE OC is 669.99$.

After waiting for more than a month for the AIBs 5700xt I think I might just go with the gigabyte.

Attached: 1556632110944.jpg (600x718, 225K)

Thanks, I read your posts from the last couple of threads regarding your experience with the 5700XT Sapphire and I think I will stick to the 2070 Super instead. In my Eastern Euro countries AIB models of 5700XT const basically the same as 2070 Super and I'm getting too old to stomach trying to bruteforce the 5700XT.

Rear case fan on my Corsair 400R has failed. I want a no-frills pwm fan to replace it. Don't really care about brand, just want bang for my buck.
Any suggestions?

>gigabyte
it will bite you in the ass later their cards are horrible

if you need memetracing or cuda/tensor cores for deep learning go nvidia
otherwise get a 5700xt

blow the air in yourself

arctic makes decent and good value fans

I'd need a dehumidifier to do that. Also I want to blow out.
Thanks user. I'll have a look

No need for a dehumidifier with bellows

Attached: bellows.jpg (450x450, 65K)

suck it in then

I reset cmos on my board and accidentally forgot to turn cpu pump up and in a bench i ran Hwinfo reported my cpu at 99c. Happened for about 10 seconds before i powered it down and cranked the fan on.

No bluescreens and cpu is boosting per usual but did I fry the chip a bit? Why didn’t it throttle back to 95c but continue to 99 and not even shut off?

>>gigabyte
>it will bite you in the ass later their cards are horrible

The one I'm looking at as 3 fans. What makes gigabyte a brand to avoid? I'm in Canada and if you're talking about customer support and warranty those don't even apply here. We're fucked no matter the manufacturer.

>canada
oh then make sure you buy 3 of them and invest into their stocks

Attached: 1478195198671.jpg (190x304, 40K)

is it a bad time to buy 1660 ti?

will amd release new cards in that price range anytime soon?

9900ks is to 9900k what the 8086k was to 8700k
just get the cheaper one if you don't intend on breaking world records

5600 is soon to release (early october according to some insider info)

what is the difference between turning on multicore enhancement and setting frequency to allcore?

Does hard drive space and RAM affect processor clock speed? Or is it normal to be at 4300 MHz?

no it shouldn't affect the clock speed, only cpu usage would
are you on ryzen or something

up until 105 degrees for a few seconds you're safe

is there a way to add custom parts to the PCPartpicker? I'm doing a from scratch server build and the list has no way to add that I can see and they don't keep server parts in their lists.

I've got Intel.

There's your problem

How much should I pay for a used 1080?

A new cheap model of 1660 TI is 300 euro here.

I currently have a server that's pic related. I'm looking to get a better CPU but ECC support is still paramount. Is it worth spending $100 on a used LGA1150 Xeon e3-1231 v3? (Basically an i7-4770 with ECC and server instruction support)

Or should I just look to upgrade my entire server? I'm just looking for something that can host 1 or 2 VM's and my Pentium can't do that.

Attached: ServerSpooky.png (1281x991, 86K)

>ecc is really important
>uses a pile of garbage disk drives
>bros trust me my data is really important

>uses a pile of garbage disk drives
I have plenty of redundancy. I don't get why Jow Forums thinks you NEED top tier data center drives.

you clearly don't

>you clearly don't
don't what? Need top tier data center drives? You're right, I don't. Just need raw storage.

Consoles have been 8c forever, never mind clocks and architectures are inherently different. There is no switching and the only norm shift will be when 8/16 becomes cost effective to be the mainstream norm.

I already got my cpu (3700x) and was planning to buy a 5700xt but with the shitshow currently going on I think I'll hold out.
What do you guys think of buying a RX 570/580 in the meantime and wait for price to drop and driver to get better? Might even give me time to consider big navi.

if it's your intention to get a more expensive card down the road, buy the cheapest RX570 4GB you can get your hands on. They're like $120-ish new. Could always go used as well for cheaper if you're willing to take the risk.

Best card for 1080p gaming with a 144hz monitor?

5700xt or 2070sup will max it out

5700XT and 2070S are overkill for 1080p. If the RTX2060S wasn't so fucking expensive I'd recommend it but you can get a 5700XT for the same cost.

Do you think the 3700x will be good enough for big navi?

absolutely. I don't think the 7nm Ryzen chips as a whole will be obsolete any time soon. Hell it's shown that as things make the move to multi-core optimization more and more, even older chips will hold up well, single core IPC aside of course. I foresee even first gen Ryzen 8c16t chips will be fantastic.

yes even 3600 is good

240Hz 1440p monitors when?

3200 cl16 or 3600 cl18
Which one is better for 3rd gen ryzen?
I could currently get the 3600 for only 20$ more which I'm willing to pay if it's any better.

I'd go with the 3600 and either overclock it or get the timing to 16

What's the 5700xt tier list?

what 144hz 27 inch monitor would you recommend?

nitro+=red devil>pulse

Is the stock cooler for ryzen 5 3600 good enough? I don't plan on overclocking.

Can 2600/X do 144hz gaming? Or I should look into i5 9400 or r5 3600 instead?

early 2020 if you mean 240hz 1440p ips

the most important thing is that you change all the timings on the ram yourself, the difference between those is not that big but the difference between you manually adjusting your ram and using xmp is quite large

Too expensive, what are some cheaper alternatives?

good enough for what? the stock cooler will keep the cpu within spec. it won't hurt it or hamper your ability to computer. for the best possible temps and the lowest possible noise? its pretty bad

5700 2060sup

Programming, Gamedev, running VMs, that kind of stuff. Shit that may force it to work at 80-100%. Noise isn't an issue, it can run as loud as a jet fighter. I'm just wondering whether it will keep it at temps below 80°C

it will absolutely do fine keeping it cool, the only reason to change the cooler is for noise

i think we're going to see a split in computing performance in the short-term with some applications heavily favoring multithreaded and some heavily favoring single threaded. long term fuck i dunno im posting on an amish jam making forum

when we see more applications scaling tangibly with multicore performance is when we're going to start seeing 'AMD FINEWINE LOL" but while that is happening i guarantee they will still be slightly behind on single core performance, and intel will be heavily promoting whatever applications don't scale well multithreaded. alongside all of the kaby lake havers being smug about theoretically being able to hit 5.0ghz with a new motherboard

the stock cooler can handle full load, even a light overclock, and keep it acceptably cool. the intel cooler can, at least, and its worse than amd's. if you are trying to fit within a budget just use the stock cooler. its just that aftermarket coolers do a better job and make less noise and are an obvious improvement

I mean the most important program on a computer is already heavily multi-threaded, the browser
things are already pretty damn multi threaded these days, especially when you consider having multiple programs running which is something almost everybody is doing all the time

what's the cheapest decent 1080p monitor?

Sure. Depends on what titles, though.

Heres some info, judge yourself what part of that info is relevant to you or not.

KOTOR 1 - Can't use frame-buffer effects(which are responsible for stealth effects being actually transparent and other visual effects) and soft shadows can't be used otherwise the game crashes and there is no fix for this. 2070super worked with no issues.
Witcher1- Framerate dips/stutters on vega 56 and a nvidia 970 provides more performance and much less stutters than a vega 56. No such issues on the 5700xt were observed and it's frametime stability was equal to 970, however all the fonts in the game were noticeable visually glitched. On 2070super there was no font glitches, but the frametime was more suttery than any of the other results.
Quantum Break- GPU remains underutilized, over all performance is lower than expected and there is stutter in frametimes. 2060 on the other hand provided better performance and more smooth frametimes(take from internet results, not personal tests) (Talking about a 2060 having stable 60fps while a vega 64 was struggling to get stable 40fps.) 2070super provided tighter frametime groups and better performance. Refer to frametime graphs.
Vampyr- Frametime is unstable when moving in between areas (approximate distance is 10-20m) noticeable stutter that dips well below 30 fps. No such issues observed on 970 which yielded better over all performance and much smaller stutters.
Sacrifice-Both on vega 56 and on 5700xt, very stuttery frametimes. 2070super, also has unstable frametimes much like the 5700xt, although the stutters are slightly less severe, but not much better.
Generals and Generals Zero hour- Didn't work on vega 56, worked with no issue on 5700xt. 2070super worked with no issues.

The tests on vega 56 were tested on both windows 7 and 10. R5 2600 CPU.
The tests on 5700xt were done on windows 10. R5 2600 CPU.

Attached: work in progress3.jpg (8520x4112, 3.34M)

impossible to answer, depends on what you mean by decent and what you care about
the best value will always be something you buy used locally

For gaming, or general use? You gotta tell us this stuff if you want usable advice.

>the shill is back

Is 5700 XT good for 3-4 years or not?

?
What am I shilling exactly?

general use
I just want something higher than my memepad 1366x768

What's your budget?
Hardware doesn't expire, it's all about relative performance. If raytracing takes off, definitely not. If RTX continues to stagnate, more likely so. I would say the only reasonable predictions we can make are within the next two years, while AMD gets their raytracing onto the market. After that who the fuck knows

why even pretend like you don't know? after how much you've posted? why even bother pretending to be neutral?

Nice try you slimy fuck. You're shilling nvidia products.

You could save some money by going TN, but honestly not enough in my opinion
newegg.com/black-acer-vg271u-pbmiipx-um-hv1aa-p01-27/p/N82E16824011278?Description=Acer Nitro Gaming VG271U Pbmiipx&cm_re=Acer_Nitro_Gaming_VG271U_Pbmiipx-_-24-011-278-_-Product
I would say this one
newegg.com/benq-gw2480-24-full-hd/p/N82E16824014466?Description=BenQ GW2480&cm_re=BenQ_GW2480-_-24-014-466-_-Product

Can AMD shills refute any of this?

sure, by posting relevant benchmarks from any mainstream source. but why bother when you'll show up a few minutes later posting your copy pastas about cherry picked 20 year old games and the smash hit quantum break?

Are threadrippers/i9 worth it vs ryzen/i7?

But don't you need specific b-die or something to be able to overclock and getting better latency?

I was looking to buy the gskill trident z rgb and the review says they don't use Samsung bdie.

>new hardware didn't support win 8.1
>finally give up and install windows 10
>first google search after the update was "how to unfuck windows 10"
what the fuck happened, Microsoft
How hard would it have been to create a streamlined, business and performance based operating system that starts off with minimal bullshit, but can be piled high with all that jazz for the retards who buy into it

Do you think AMD will integrate ray tracing with big navi?

That wouldn’t fit an anticompetitive bundling strategy to extract maximum value from the captive consumer. Punish them and go FOSS.

there won't be any kind of hardware based rtx this generation of gpus from amd. but the fact is rtx is still a huge meme and not only are there not really any games that support it, but the performance loss is so large you wouldn't want to turn it on over baked shadows anyways.

the time for rtx is one or two generations from now. but ray tracing is the future.

you just can't make a rational post and instead insist on spilling your emotions out?

thanks for at least answering.
Now can you tell me why you feel that way?

>by posting relevant benchmarks from any mainstream source.
Which cover only the newest games released.

> but why bother when you'll show up a few minutes later posting your copy pastas about cherry picked 20 year old games and the smash hit quantum break?
So you are saying that in a observation of how either company handles older games with their drivers, we should use not old games, but instead test old game performance and compatibility by looking only at new games?
Because that makes no logical sense.

>So you are saying that in a observation of how either company handles older games with their drivers, we should use not old games, but instead test old game performance and compatibility by looking only at new games?
what I'm saying is you're very blatantly pushing an agenda and not only are you not doing anything near an "old games" benchmark, you're very deliberately pulling edge cases to try and shill in a very obvious way every thread which is highlighted by your use of quantum break.

>but the fact is rtx is still a huge meme and not only are there not really any games that support it
Control is a pretty good implementation both in terms of visual difference and performance not being to harsh.
To be honest I am not sure if the fins were just good, or nvidia paniced and funneled some extra effort into the game because they need good RTX games to make RTX appealing.

>but the performance loss is so large you wouldn't want to turn it on over baked shadows anyways.
Don't know doesn't look to bad here youtu.be/blbu0g9DAGA?t=1502

>what I'm saying is you're very blatantly pushing an agenda
Okay and how did you reach this conclusion?
Because the reality of the situation is this
>use 970 play games, have no issues, but framerate isn't as high as I wish it to be
>get a new gpu, vega 56
>get issues with games I want to play, performance is stuttery, and sometimes worse performance over all
>point this out because I'm mad at money spend but getting a worse experience
>some other anons join in to test things
>use their data and mine to make that screenshot and text

>not only are you not doing anything near an "old games" benchmark,
I'm not a tech reviewing site.
I am not getting payed to take 30-50 old games and test all of their perfromance. You can't except me to deliver you a carefully crafted youtube video with multiple cards and games all tested nicely.
It's literally me running into issues, making a very light doctumentation and some other user also testing those things out.

>you're very deliberately pulling edge cases to try and shill in a very obvious way every thread
No, but I do suspect that people asking and mentioning how are AMD drivers like, to bait me into posting that might have an ulterior motive, but then again it could be that since I brought up this issue, people are more aware of it and want to know about it. Could be either.
>which is highlighted by your use of quantum break.
I don't get it, what's wrong with Quantum break?

Performance loss is acceptable in some games, but honestly I would rather be over 144 fps than have the game look nicer most of the time
Especially for FPS games like Battlefield, it makes zero sense at all to implement raytracing when the penalty is so high

Hey, i'm looking to upgrade from my I5 2400 to a CPU that will last me for a while. Is the 3700x a good choice?

Attached: smile 2.gif (319x220, 518K)

pcpartpicker.com/product/7MQG3C/intel-660p-series-2tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ssdpeknw020t8x1

pcpartpicker.com/product/nF8j4D/crucial-mx500-2tb-25-solid-state-drive-ct2000mx500ssd1

pcpartpicker.com/product/dQ66Mp/samsung-860-evo-2tb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-76e2t0bam

which one, would rather not go for the samsung just due to the price but don't these all do the same thing with the same specs? What is the difference?

Jow Forums

I have
16gig ram

760 2gig

is it worth me putting any money into my PC o get a couple of years of life out of it ?

I only do a bit of gaming , mainly escape from tarkov and some other fps