I can't believe you've not set up borg for compressed, encrypted...

I can't believe you've not set up borg for compressed, encrypted, deduped backups that get rsync'd to an off site server before being rclone'd to Google Drive.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-08 at 12.35.56.png (1364x952, 284K)

Other urls found in this thread:

borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/faq.html#can-i-backup-from-multiple-servers-into-a-single-repository
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>why would I need that? all of my code is in GitHub, and all of my important documents are uploaded to MEGA once a month

Attached: gigachad.jpg (1068x601, 65K)

>he still relies on amanda
>he only chose that archaic software because he could pretend he's working with a girl

good taste, but I use borgbase and am not an iToddler

borg or duplicati?

Attached: 1555088396716.png (382x417, 325K)

>he uses the cloud

elmao

borg is the gold standard. can't remember which one duplicati was, but another viable alternative is probably restic and outside of those there's no point choosing anything else.

>he's retarded

>he is unaware that I have my own backup servers and don't need a tripe for dorks

>google drive

Attached: 354deaa3770912621bb816da070346ab.jpg (258x245, 12K)

There is literally no reason to use this if you've got a RAID setup

you manage your own off-site backup servers? why? are they far enough from where your primary data sources are? why not just buy some space off a dedicated provider for cheaper?

>21TB (and growing) of movies for the price of a domain name

How is it not a good deal, frogposter?

What are you using to make your terminal look like that?

>RAID
>backup
no

Sure, internet is fairly developed here (small country) and my friend is okay storing my encrypted clonezilla images and personal at his place. I only had to bring my own drives.

Can't wait until your PSU blows up and you have that eye-opening "oh SHIT" moment.

but does your friend live far away so that a natural event or electric network problems won't potentially trash both the versions at the same time?

idiot

Just iTerm and zsh

My threat model currently only covers house fires and theft (by government or robbers). Not total nuclear annihilation and solar flares.

>frogposter?

Attached: 1449106392546.gif (800x792, 607K)

borg seems neat but I don't see any documentation on how to restore from the created backups, so what's the point of using it

they literally have the best documentation of any backup tool I've ever seen. there's top notch man pages too. you're either impatient or retarded for not figuring out how to use "borg extract" or the virtual filesystem

literally

>borg mount /path/to/backup::date_of_backup /tmp/yourass

and it's mounted.

>yourass
>and it's mounted.
Stop mounting me

>My threat model
Did you forget to take your autism pills again?

>get rsync'd to an off site server before being rclone'd to Google Drive.
borg works more efficiently over a forced ssh command, no need to slowly rsync it. directly copying backups isn't recommended for confidentiality and integrity reasons borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/faq.html#can-i-backup-from-multiple-servers-into-a-single-repository
google drive is also much more expensive than backblaze b2. dumb macposter.

>not ironically mocking """security researcher""" terminology
Gee, it is as if you take their whole act seriously

and b2 doesn't offer append-only. that's something you should seriously care about if you wanna get autistic about this.

>not threat matrix

drive offers unlimited storage for cheap if you know where to look

I was wondering using Amazing S3 Deep Freeze, to get the cheapest price. I don't really care about reconvery speed but so far I haven't fun a solution to encrypt everything on my side.

I got a 2To of comics scan and I honestly expect to continue storying more and more "media" from before the "current year" infestation.

Since this is basically piracy, I want it no readable from amzon side so they don't FUCK UP my backup.

Have you a good S3 Deep Freeze backup with client side encryption ?

it does actually, you just have to remove the deleteFiles capability when calling b2_create_key

business/education accounts on ebay etcera that periodically get nuked by google for violating their tos? eh

at ~150tb Google throttles your upload speed to less than 500KB/s.

>it does actually, you just have to remove the deleteFiles capability when calling b2_create_key
what? your borg repo is essentially a binary blob for the backup server, how can it control file removals like that? have you even read the docs about the append-only feature of borg? it's to protect against cryptolockers and shit. borgbase is the only OOTB service that offers it that I know of.

I thought you were talking about google drive. what are you talking about and how is google drive versus b2's remote storage relevant to borg's business logic? borg create -> borg serv --append-only running over ssh on a remote server -> remote server syncs backup dir to gdrive/b2 as OP described.

>borg create -> borg serv --append-only running over ssh on a remote server -> remote server syncs backup dir to gdrive/b2 as OP described.
with a setup like that you'd need to pay both for an SSH server and a storage server separately. maybe there are cost-effective options available for that, but I haven't found any

>I can't believe you've not set up borg for compressed, encrypted, deduped backups that get rsync'd to an off site server before being rclone'd to Google Drive.
all I was suggesting is that OP uses borg the way it's meant to be used rather than syncing xir borg dir to xir server and then google drive, and to use a cheaper ~cloud storage solution~ than gdrive. I don't really know what you're getting at here... your requirements are different than OP's.

>not keeping deduped backups by the minute

I'm getting at the point that using b2 is no different from using drive.

how can wintoddler do this?

>backing up movies
what the fuck, what for? they're available literally 24/7, unless there's some rare shit

backing up music I can get that, sometimes it's hard to find an album even on private trackers

>2019
>he doesn't use restic

storing 10tb of data on b2 costs $600 a year, whereas google drive costs $1179. storing 100gb on google drive costs $19.64 (in my country, converted to usd - prices may be different elsewhere) a year and its b2 equivalent is $6. I'll grant that google drive's cost is inclusive of downloads and transactions but realistically speaking if your live disks, local backups, AND primary remote backup fails you likely have far greater concerns than downloading your movie collection. one might be able to hack something up to use b2's access controls entirely in lieu of borg --append-only and thereby eliminate the need for both a server and remote storage but I haven't tried it, I only mentioned the deleteFile capability that borg offers to exclude because I assumed google drive offered a similar mechanism that you were using.

>that borg offers to exclude
I meant b2 offers to exclude.

of course, depending on how much you trust your other backups in case of intel sponsored housefires or data centre cock ups a somewhat unreliable and possible hacked google drive unlimited account from a chinese seller may be the cheaper option.

pedophile

Why are you obsessed with spotting pedophiles, user? What are you hiding?

I have a real job, so windows obviously.