Why does every shitty company do this in their hiring process now?

Why does every shitty company do this in their hiring process now?

Attached: 1566903097620.png (1360x512, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KbtifqF5YTk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

To filter brainlets. It's very effective in my experience.

because every single online job application, bar none, is flooded by literally thousands of resumes, if not tens of thousands, or for elite companies hundreds of thousands

Because there is nothing better? What would you do?

he hasn't thought about it further than thinking he deserves to be hired wherever he wants

Should I do leetcode or finish my SICP read?

if you want to get good, sicp
if you want to get hired, leetcode not close
grinding interview questions is the best way to get a job, actually learning skills isn't that important and you can do it once you have a job

Is this actually true? Because that sounds depressing as fuck. I can online imagine in the future companies will use literal Black Mirror techniques to filter candidates. Clown world man. Clown world.

Attached: clown world.png (374x226, 190K)

it's true. online postings are completely flooded by applications. however it's also true that most applications are garbage and don't even have a shot at getting hired. but at any kind of name brand company you can count on literally every single available position being applied to by thousands of people who meet qualifications and that need to be filtered.

>spend college years doing fun useful projects which people actually use
>github is full of actually usable software
>not a brainlet either so can do most leetcode problems, but not in the minuscule time they give you
Its not fair bros, its obvious as fuck, any brainlet who has seen the problems will be able to solve them faster than me, someone who has not. 99% of the people who are getting jobs have 0 real life skills

So how do you even get a job then?

I learned it the hard way, I was a top student but didn't practice interview questions and failed interviews that my friends passed because they just practiced interview questions.

learn from my mistakes user. grind interview questions. pretend you haven't seen them before if it's an IRL interview.

Nepotism

here's what's happening. there are so many applications that more and more filters get added. qualified people can't make it pass all of the filters and the people who get past the filters tend to be people who are not skilled but instead just studied for filters and tests.

people who get interviews and referrals by networking get to bypass the filters.

as time goes on networking becomes more and more the only way to get hired. more filters get added, and more thousands of people compete for online postings.

as the other user said, nepotism. and the rate of nepotist hiring is going up. too many people applying online. too many filters.

Hmm that explains how a classmate of mine (I graduated in 2016) is already a director at a pretty sizable firm.

Yes. That's why they use automated filtering before a human ever sees a single resume.
>filter out all applicants without a bachelors degree
>filter out all applicants that don't have a handful of selected key words on their resume
>sort by number of keyword matches
>grab top of stack, human review, schedule interviews as necessary

and this still results in hundreds of qualified candidates they need to churn through

>key word filter
So how about I create an invisible textbox in the margins of my resume and fill it with keywords?

bad idea. this was big brained like 5-10 years ago, but now most companies parse the resume and if you do this it will stick out immediately on review.

To be fair they mostly ask easy ones that you can solve in a few minutes. If they ask you something a bit more difficult it usually has a peanut brain easy to come up with solution with shit complexity that you can (and should) give first and then work your way to something more efficient. The interviewers can even give you hints.

already happening. the name is people analytics. there are tools like humanyze which monitors pretty much everything you do. this is one of the reasons why I try to retire as fast as possible. they will make completely dominate their wage slaves

humanyze in action
youtube.com/watch?v=KbtifqF5YTk

Attached: (8).jpg (858x821, 359K)

So is this the power of nepotism?

Attached: mate.png (258x330, 14K)

Except in my country, Serbia, they make you give an online test on a god awful online IDE, and your code is automatically check against test cases (which are not told to you). The test is a timed one, with a little counter going on in the corner, they ALWAYS give you unrealistic limits. Only candidates who have done nothing but grind these questions can get them in the given time.
The kind of people who have no skills other than solving problems that they have actually seen before

this happened to me in canada. the question was to manually implement some machine learning algorithms using only base level python and a few math packages.
if you failed ANY test case you were automatically disqualified and they don't even read your code. my rejection email was literally "did not pass all test cases" even though I wrote multiple complete statistical models from scratch in 2 hours.

this is why chad always wins

executives don't even need to be technically skilled, you can be mediocre at your analyst job and still become an executive if you're popular

This is just sad man, this kind of hiring is spreading across the world
The kind of people who should NOT get hired are getting hired and then quickly fired after a few months, but nobody in recruiting seem to think they're doing anything wrong

Because if you don't have any proven real world projects on GitHub how will they even know you know how to code?
Most grads don't even have any personal projects and their CV is literally just "I went to school and learned X, Y, Z".

What are they gonna do, ask you "Do you know Python :)?" and you say "Yes, I know Python." and hire you? Of course not.

yea this is why nobody hired a single programmer before leetcode existed, and software companies were so bad

It's finance so of course there is nepotism. You're managing people's money.

leetcode if you want a job, SICP if you want be a gtard. honestly read the book after you get hired.

SICP is good for your programming "culture" but it won't really help you get a job.

not him but IQ testing.
Which is what real elite companies (i.e. funds, trading and finance) do in a subtle way.
There are IQ tests that are impossible to train for, and they are good at measuring g. g correlates pretty good with abstract thinking ability in general, which is key for performance in STEM.
So IQ testing.

>thinking that IQ correlates with good financial/trading performance
Please, dont be this retarded or naive or both.

Bros what do I need to learn before practicing leetcode problems? I feel like I can build simple applications and web pages but I dont have that mindset to do leetcode problems. Everytime I try, I end up looking at the answers and then it I get fucking emo because it seemed so simple.

Attached: IMG_20190827_174216.jpg (680x911, 99K)

Read pic related or any other decent algorithm textbook.

Attached: Introduction-To-Algorithms-Paperback-English-SDL474587042-1-8ecff.jpg (620x726, 43K)

Because they hire based on potential: you can train a smart person anything, but you can make a brainlet smart.
It's what all of the big successful companies like Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc. did, and now everyone copies it.

They would still test you on algorithms, and god forbid mathematics. Computer science was a branch of mathematics until code-monkey corps demanded school produce more programmers and students insisted on being "job ready", which transformed the degree into how it's taught today.

How is it clown world to filter out people who don't know what they're doing? I'm in my third year of a CS program and I still have people in my classes who don't even understand how classes or loops work. What would you use?

This is shit advice. No algorithms book will ever help you crack interviews problems. If you want to do those, make an account on leetcode and start doing problems there
If you can't solve the problems, look up answers and remember how to do them.

I've literally never been extended a job offer by applying online, not once.

The good books will because they teach he fundamentals necessary to solve to problems creatively and require you to develop those skills in order to understand them.
If all you can do is memorize leetcode, then you will fall apart when the interviewer asks a variation on a problem you've seen but are unable to get from A to B because you never understood how to get to A.

Attached: algorithms dasgupta.jpg (398x499, 27K)

Not him but if you don't have at least a basic understanding of how algos and DSs work, doing leetcode is gonna be a waste of time

But all the cool "technology" prop traders filter by these kinds of tests bro.

It's the single most useful metric to find out how much an employee is worth. But it's illegal so employers need more subtle ways to test for it. College degrees being the most prevalent example.

my data structs prof straight up said if I complete two medium challenges in 20 minutes a piece, I can get a job at google.

Is he full of shit or what?

it's legit but two mediums are hard as fuck unless you've done them already

these are mostly bay area only, but some places in the midwest / east coast think they're allowed to require candidates to do them while only offering 1/2 as much, I wouldn't bother unless you're desperate for a job and a new grad (been there done that)

protip cheat on them by being friends with / dating another developer, the person applying for the job can solve the problem while the friend thinks of edge cases / alternative algorithms / problems with the existing algorithm. I don't consider it dishonest as long as you actually know how to program on the job and doing shitty puzzles unrepresentative of the actual job they're hiring for is just your weakness.

There are only two advocates for Leetcode interviews. Goyim cattle that regularly swallow loads from their Jew masters at M-MUH FAANG companies, and retarded sub-100 IQ drones who would be found out for the unskilled code monkeys they are if they can't hide behind a whiteboard.

Those people shouldn't graduate in the first place. I'm not that guy but the fact that universities are dumping millions of complete retards into the job market every year seems pretty clown-world-y to me.

Blame boomers and all the people who tell everyone "hur dur go to college or you'll be a fucking loser". So then most of these people go and end up wasting everybody's time.

>go to college or you'll be a fucking loser
This is mostly true, though. In a first world country, if you don't have capitalism in your blood and rich people in your contacts, college is your only shot at not being a loser.

Not really, you can still go to military or trades which would be a better option for a lot of those guys. I just think going for the sake of going is a waste of time, especially if you're gonna get a bullshit degree like social studies or business admin.

>Why does every shitty company do this in their hiring process now?
If the bigbois are doing it, the little shits are going to copy. In NYC, Bloomberg has been dragging code candidates through the mud with Brainbench and Hackerack for over a decade now.

Attached: 1316650001572.png (424x470, 188K)

This is what the unmotivated tel themselves. Ive never gotten a job through nepotism.

The only thing you need to know about algorithm complexity in the real world is "Hash Maps. Always Hash Maps."

retard

algorithms ≠ data structures

You ain't very bright, are ya?

no, I'm not. sometimes I reply to bait.

>filter out all applicants without a bachelors degree
fuck off college shill

here let me just solve all these algorithms without using a single data structure.

what gets me is that every single exercise is intentionally impractical

give a me a small but non-trivial real-world problem to solve in 100 lines and i'll sail through it

buttsore there mate?

Because they don't know about Codeforces, literally free and problems that are actually good by people who care about CS instead of just wanting a job.

They appear impractical because you’ve never worked on a hard problem.

Pic related made me a better programmer.
I came to realize is that what is important about all of these coding challenges is to demonstrate you capability to identify underlying patterns and produce correct code on the spot. The people who struggle to translate an algorithm into code either: don’t understand the algorithm, or are bad programmers. The former will be incapable of coming up with good solutions. The latter will cost your organization later during code review and testing.

Attached: F26EBDBF-5223-4D8E-BDEE-4106B1BC99A2.jpg (333x499, 29K)

what a predictable and boring comment

ya i thought it was really shallow and pedantic

>just try to remember the solutions like a complete drooling retard

We make our senior software engineers and researchers take a math exam in addition to a leetcode style assessment.

Attached: Math exam.png (768x257, 34K)

Attached: 1518086059347.png (401x366, 12K)

>solving an algorithm problem in hackerrank as part of a job application
>"write a function that, given a set of coin values and a total to reach, calculates the smallest set of coins that reaches the total"
>decide to do it in javascript since it'll be faster to write
>consistently fail one of the test cases
>see that the error raised involves building the final array
>look up possible array errors
>the only one that fits my case is the one where the maximum length of an array is exceeded
>the algorithm cannot be written in the language I picked
>give up and submit
>pass anyway and move on to an online interview
>we chat for a bit, I mention that I'm in first year of uni
>interviewer looks surprised and mentions this opening is only for graduates
>I mention the opening on the website said it was available even to first-years
>I argue that we go on anyway for my own practice, he agrees
>he even tells me the point of the interview was just to test my communication skills and not anything technical
>bomb a lot of the dumb hr questions like "Where do you see yourself after working here?"
>get put on a "talent list" with random job opening emails afterwards
It's all so tiresome.

Attached: 1528191010357.png (1280x720, 1.17M)