Erlang vs Elixir

Is there any benefit from learning/using Erlang instead of Elixir?

Elixir has better syntax, tooling, and docs.

Attached: erlang elixir.png (300x275, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

introtorx.com/Content/v1.0.10621.0/15_SchedulingAndThreading.html
wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/loom/Main
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OTP is written in Erlang, so being familiar with Erlang as well is desired to study its code.
>Elixir has better syntax
unless you hate ruby-like syntax like I do

I personally don't see the point in any of the Elixir syntax changes.

> Erlang or Elixir
None. I would rather use Scala.

based and red pilled.

pipe operator and macros
also polymorphism, but that's not syntactic addition

There is no benefit to using either unless you want to work on boomerware of decades past or whatever trendy chat app startup bullshit today.

The erlang ecosystem is just inferior to the much more established java one, even though java is big gay and so is oracle.

>JVM as an alternative to a platform with proper multithreading
No thanks.

It's sad, really. The term green thread was even coined for Java. Back then the JVM of its day didn't have pthread support. Green threads were then abandoned in favor of those.

I don't know either Erlang or Elixir but I imagine I would start with Joe's book and Erlang to grasp the platform, then switch to Elixir.

>proper multithreading
Are you unironically retarded? Multithreading is one of THE biggest reasons to actually use the JVM. I really want you to point out how the JVM is not superb at multithreading. You unironically don't know what the fuck you're talking about,

>Is there any benefit from learning/using Erlang instead of Elixir?
Not really, no. Elixir isn't just Erlang with better syntax/tooling/docs either, it also has some functionality that Erlang completely lacks, but wraps literally everything from Erlang. There's not a single reason to use Erlang over Elixir anymore, but there are several to use Elixir over Erlang

>at least 2MB per thread
>superb at multithreading
oooookay

>JVM bad at multithreading
are you mistaking the JVM for node.js?

Attached: 32.png (1440x1557, 738K)

>2MB per thread
What? Where the fuck did you get that from?

I think you're the retard here user. The JVM only spawns heavy OS threads, and breaks down with far fewer threads than proper runtimes like BEAM or Go can handle.

That's the (admittedly, default) allocated stack size. Each thread gets one.
Probably read it in Java Concurrency in Practice. Don't recall. But the info can be found anywhere.

>The JVM only spawns heavy OS threads
First of all that's not even fucking true and it's piss easy to handle multithreading with shit like Rx introtorx.com/Content/v1.0.10621.0/15_SchedulingAndThreading.html
But hey, I'm not forcing you to use productive language with vasts ecosystems. Have fun being a snowflake.
>Go
found the double digit retard
It's not 2MB

*that's the .NET version, not the Java version sry. I use Akka anyway.

>First of all that's not even fucking true
Yes it is. The JVM spawns an entire OS thread for every concurrency path

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 1.04.02 PM.png (298x125, 23K)

>Yes it is. The JVM spawns an entire OS thread for every concurrency path
What's what actors in Akka are for. There's also this wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/loom/Main

Scala is a better erlang.
Static typing + actors is really good.
I would learn erlang anyway, prolog syntax is fun.

If you work with Elixir in any capacity in a real job, you will be expected to understand Erlang / OTP.

The real advantages I see with Elixir are:
>pipe operator
>Phoenix framework
>better tooling, like ExDoc

Yeah, great, there are third-party libraries that let you write code to mimic the functionality that good runtimes offer by default with no effort or boilerplate. That exists for any paradigm on any platform, and doesn't actually make any language or runtime better.

Java is going to have this on a JVM level soon (Project Loom)

I'm sure all the Indians worldwide are rejoicing over finally getting a decent concurrency model that other runtimes have had for 30 years built into the only one they actually know how to use.

Jeez you're such a miserable mad fuck. Nobody gives a shit about your snowflake language.

damn this Java shitter got BTFO
based Erlang Boomers

erlang is excellent and you're a retarded java indian

based javatard destroying an erlanger with the classic "your language isn't as popular as mine" attack.
how will the erlanger recover?

bahahahahhahahahahaha LITERALLY no one uses Erlang. Let me tell you what's going on. You were born a beta faggot. You had no friends at school, girls weren't interested in you and since you're not into commonly used programming languages you're most probably a financial wreck as well. In order to compensate, you picked a snowflake language no one uses in order to fool other people into thinking that you're some kind of genius that has a better understanding of programming than other people. It's kind of like ugly people accusing non-ugly people of being superficial because they tend to pick non-ugly people as their partners.

Attached: erlol.png (980x2138, 76K)

your favorite piece of software uses Erlang. go back.

Attached: 246x0w.jpg (246x246, 8K)

That's funny because Discord is shit.

the frontend certainly, but Electron has nothing to do with Erlang.

as far as I can tell their backend handles massive amounts of data very easily.

keep moving the goalposts

>LITERALLY no one uses Erlang.
Why are Java fans so tech illiterate?

Attached: FsWUqRoOsPu.png (1200x630, 48K)

>tons of people use Java, so it's good.

Attached: sample-mail2.png (2550x3300, 1.51M)

>ruby syntax
>functional language
Ok. Seems weird. You know what, I'm going to install this shit, see what it's about..

its really good desu

Funny. I posted the original java bait and I predicted this very same garbage. So your lang is used for giant overglorified chat apps with dubious profitability. Very nice.

Erlang is just a joke nigguh. All big shit is java. I don't know why this is so contentious. I can't stand the shitlang either but at least the JVM doesn't have weird ass behavior like spinlocking by default for "reducing accept() delays" on sockets and other IO. BEAM is old and busted shit.

>jokes on you, I was baiting this whole time
lmfao

>All big shit is java

Attached: Screen-Shot-2017-06-14-at-1.28.30-PM.png.jpg (1166x664, 86K)