When did you realize that Ubuntu is the only usable Linux distribution?

When did you realize that Ubuntu is the only usable Linux distribution?

- Debian is quite decent, but sacrifices stability for usefulness. Packages become too old in Stable, and you have to wait for the new Stable for more updated versions. Has less driver than Ubuntu, even with the non-free repos.

- Fedora is too slow, its firewall is a mess. Also new versions come out too quickly, forcing you to either reinstall your whole system or doing a risky upgrade.

- Arch is a hobbyist distro that requires too much attention and tweaking, and if you don't update it for a week, it's going to break. Also the lack of a decent graphical installer makes it pretty unavailable for the average user (you know, people who actually have a life)

There are a few popular, but heavily flawed distros like Mint (basically Ubuntu with extra DEs), Manjaro (twisted Arch, breaks even more often), MX Linux (Debian with tweaks - not as good or popular as people claim it), Solus (it might be a good distro in a 5-10 years... or it will disappear; time will tell).

If you want a stable and actually usable distro, Ubuntu is the only choice. It's a sad fact, if you ask me.

Attached: Logo-ubuntu_cof-orange-hex.svg.png (1024x1024, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ubuntu is shit ever since they abandoned unity

>When did you realize that Ubuntu is the only usable Linux distribution?
I'd just like to interject for a moment

Attached: gentoo-logo.png (666x800, 119K)

manjaro doesnt break for me.

for me, it's Xubuntu

Attached: imgbin-xubuntu-xfce-menu-element-uZvEx6aTggWpgyBP9M0rg5kr0.jpg (728x724, 44K)

Gentoo is also a hobbyist distro, buddy. If you value your time and simply want to get shit done, you will never use it.

Attached: 1561492861515.jpg (292x200, 17K)

> Debian is quite decent, but sacrifices stability for usefulness. Packages become too old in Stable, and you have to wait for the new Stable for more updated versions. Has less driver than Ubuntu, even with the non-free repos.
Disagree with several points. Debian is more stable than Ubuntu because a new stable release only gets out after insane amounts of testing. Ubuntu has a schedule and no matter what it has to be released at that point. 18.04 was a disaster at the start because of it. The drivers, I'll give you that one. Packages being too old is subjective
>Fedora is too slow, its firewall is a mess. Also new versions come out too quickly, forcing you to either reinstall your whole system or doing a risky upgrade.
Fedora feels slow and bloated but they try some new things to improve linux on desktop. But i mostly agree, I never liked rpm distros
>Arch is a hobbyist distro that requires too much attention and tweaking, and if you don't update it for a week, it's going to break. Also the lack of a decent graphical installer makes it pretty unavailable for the average user (you know, people who actually have a life)
Arch is just as good as any other distro. Developers will benefit from using it. People with critical jobs that require 0 maintenance(servers outside the home) obviously shouldn't use it, they can though but it's not recommended. Very easy to package and pacman is a simple and fast package manager. It lacks the power of a yum/dnf/apt but for home usage it's enough

But I value my time and enjoy getting shit done, and I get shit done on my gentoo install.

>Fedora
>slow
Are you talking about the package manager? Other than the metadata sync it's pretty damn fast.
>firewall is a mess
It's firewalld, the best fucking firewall I have ever come across. ufw got nothing on this bitch, neither does plain iptables. It comes with lots of premade services and has good graphical utilities to manage it.
>new versions come out too quickly
It's the exact same release cycle as Ubuntu. 6 months with a decent amount of time afterwards until support ends. Fedora 29 has been around since late 2018 and it still has support.
>risky upgrade
Unlike basically every other package manager, dnf is perfectly capable of doing full system upgrades with absolutely no issues. It can even do them offline at reboot. If you're into atomic, rpm-ostree is even better at it.

What about Android?

Repeating that platitude doesn't make it true.

Later you will realize Ubuntu is not really stable.
But just because is what everyone uses is in fact easier to install programs, that's it.
There will be proprietary programs that only support the libraries supported in Ubuntu, but those are niche.
Actual professional proprietary software like DaVinci will only use Red Hat/CentOS libraries for development.
Ubuntu does breaking changes and abandons libraries half the way the period of support.
>debian
Both debian and ubuntu maintain more packages than they can actually take, at least the server side is properly maintained
>fedora
you're full of shit and never used fedora, it's just red hat with newer versions.
The compilation flags are what may reduce performance in shit like tar or whatever, but is technical, benchmark performance. They are to prevent memory security problems or the like, SUSE does the same thing.
>hurrr durr firewall is a mess
I don't even know what you're talking about retard, firewalld is great, and SELinux I don't even notice it's there like in Android unless I tweak the rules. Yes, Android has been using SELinux for ages now.
Fedora is the fucking best distribution.

I tried to install Arch and it didn't work over WiFi

what a fucking piece of shit

>sudo emerge firefox
>still compiling two hours later
>sudo apt install Firefox
>about 15-20 seconds
Really makes you think huh

Attached: 67A90652-F195-478D-8F2B-BAC8C5FCB693.jpg (1024x512, 86K)

If you're going to use ubuntu, at least have the decency to use one of its variants, like kubuntu.

About what? About how maybe I should be using a less bloated browser that actually respects my privacy? Sure does.

Attached: 2jrcld.jpg (345x337, 17K)

Unity is still in the repos
Gentoo has binaries for large files like firefox

>Arch is a hobbyist distro that requires too much attention and tweaking, and if you don't update it for a week, it's going to break
Unironically, Arch is probably the easiest thing to maintain besides Debian and CentOS after install and setup. The problems that might happen are few and really quick to fix. Taking a couple minutes to fix it isn't equal to not having a life(as if that was an argument anyway on fucking Jow Forums)

yeah but no everyone has a big brain like you or
has the patience to even fix those things

i can see the appeal for hobbyist distros but these are
just not for everyone

What is cloveros

cringe

Attached: 7476433452.jpg (300x300, 59K)

>ubuntu is shit ever since they abandoned gnome2
FTFY

I'm upgrading to 19.10 prerelease

what am i in for, Jow Forums?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-08 11-38-11.png (920x708, 166K)

wut about gentoo though

Always use LTS. Always.

Attached: 1567324687215.png (435x318, 103K)

This
and also wait a couple of months untill the first LTS point release

ooga booga muh dik mooga mbeki buntu

Attached: Ubuntu Watermelons.jpg (200x207, 9K)

>after insane amounts of testing
>still ships buggy software
Happened to me with Audacity. Some keyboard shortcuts never worked and had UI issues.
A daily use distro should only keep kernel, core libraries and basic DE stable.

Based

Wow, the performance improvements in GNOME are really something. Smooth as fuck animations for the All Apps button in the dash. Really impressed.

I prefer openSUSE.

I can’t tell if this is bait or you’re just retarded. Ubuntu is probably the shittiest desktop experience of the ones you listed since Canonical stopped giving a fuck about desktop. Ubuntu is good for a quick VM, but that’s about it.

based unitybro, you can still install it on 19.04

Redpill me on that, pls.

So what are some good ditros then, user?

if you think that Ubuntu is the only usable Linux distribution you must be quite a newfag and a linuxlet

Every distro has bugs dude. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Literally all those you've shitted on; Debian, Fedora and Arch.

Has both stable and rolling release, snapper + btrfs allows for easy rollbacks in case you broke something. I use the rolling release, and it gets tested and stablized before releases with openQA, making it the easiest and best rolling distro for my purposes. YaST is a nice gui option for maintaining your system for those who dont like or understand terminals. And zypper is the second fastest package manager after pacman. I was impressed even with their gui installer, which allows you to select the software you want and dont want from the beginning keeping your system bloat-free. Has sane defaults for KDE, xfce, and I heard their implementation of gnome is good too although I never tried it.

RHEL/CentOS is rock solid. Yes the packagaes from the official repos are older but you can update them without much fuss (i.e. addding repos like Nux, etc). But because it's an enterprise Linux distro, it has to be far more stable and change less often than Ubuntu or Fedora.

I've posted my CentOS 7 desktop on here a number of times. I always get shit for it, especially because I have Steam running on it.

Attached: 1089339.png (730x1095, 29K)

Is that why google used gentoo for years?

>used

Hehh...

Attached: 1562444409941.jpg (750x560, 23K)

Kek

>sudo emerge firefox-bin
>wait 10 seconds
>done

Which is why NASDAQ uses it for, you know, heavily time-critical operations

blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
>still trusting Linux Mint after the backdoor fiasco
>Distro being maintained by amateurs
>Distributing ISOs in a non-https website (pre-2017)
>Hacked multiple times in the same way over several days

Why do you still trust this piece of shit distro? It's literally maintained by amateurs who don't know what they're doing. Seriously, just read that blog post and the comments below it.
If you want a stable and easy to use distro, just use Debian or Ubuntu for fucks sake. Debian can even be installed with Cinnamon.

>proprietary
>corporate
>telemetry
It's shit. Install Debian.

Make sure to call yourself a "bionic beaver user to symbolize your superiority to the rolling release zoomers.

>Arch requires too much attention and tweaking
nope
>and if you don't update it for a week, it's going to break
nope

my dick is also big
i use arch btw

Why would I want ancient software?

Attached: 1562258954926.jpg (499x481, 28K)

>m-muh stability
yet they can't give any solid evidence that debian is more stable than ubuntu
old software is often less stable and has more bugs than new software
let that sink in
first part is half-true, second part isn't
arch is a good distro if you require up to date packages. let's end it at that

both are true
seethe more

Yeah no, sounds like you never used CentOS or Linux Mint Debian Edition. Both are way better than Ubuntu

>Linux Mint Debian Edition

Literally why? Use Debian or Ubuntu.

>only usable Linux distribution?
Pop!_OS

>>It's a sad fact, if you ask me.
Its my opinion, if you ask me.
FTFY.

When I saw Loonix spergs on Jow Forums hate it almost as bad as Windows and Mac OS.

No it's fucking not. It's an unstable piece of shit with the worst package manager in the world, a special snowflake shell you're forced to use even if you specify otherwise in your script, and a bunch of muddy corporate interests you can never trust.
>Debian is quite decent, but sacrifices stability for usefulness.
No it's not. It's only better than Ubuntu by virtue of Ubuntu actually being that bad.
>Packages become too old in Stable, and you have to wait for the new Stable for more updated versions.
Then don't use a stable distro you fucking retard. Bleeding edge shit like Void or Gentoo exist for people like you. Arch if you like sucking dicks.
>If you want a stable and actually usable distro, Ubuntu is the only choice. It's a sad fact, if you ask me
That's a really funny way to spell Slackware, if you were to ask me.

Attached: 1567803954273.jpg (539x527, 40K)

I just love how noone defends Arch ITT. Fanboys are just memers pretending to be super hackers.

Attached: 1561058771055.png (157x162, 54K)

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux

I use Slackware and it just feels good.

Why?

We had a crash of gnome-shell while locking the screen, but other than that (I submitted the crash reports) it's been smooth sailing on 19.10 eoan.

Ubuntu is the greatest distro ever created.

>ubuntu is shit ever since they started unity
ftfy

Using Kubuntu rn, such a good fucking distro, Arch and Fedoracels can enjoy their unstable distro.
Unity is shit, so is gnome.

My man. Been slacking since redhat went greedy.

How is Mint flawed?
Install ubuntu server and then a WM.
Based

This

Ubuntu is for people who have jobs.

based

>Packages become too old in Stable, and you have to wait for the new Stable for more updated versions.
There are backport repos in case you want newer stuff. There are even other releases than stable.
>Has less driver than Ubuntu, even with the non-free repos.
Everything that Ubuntu has comes from Debian. It's literally impossible that Debian has "less drivers than Ubuntu".
>Fedora is too slow, its firewall is a mess.
Get good. Fedora is more polished than Ubuntu. It also comes with the old firewall thing, in case you're too stupid to use the new one. Literally read the manual.

i love fedora
all those selinux exceptions i have to make get me hard
i have no idea what they're even for, i just allow them.
feels good to be on such a secure distro.