IDE VS Editor

Which are you using and why? Does it really make a difference?

Attached: 1429849292.jpg (474x479, 37K)

Editors exclusively, be it at home or at work.
IDEs used to be a good concept but nowadays they're bloated hunk of trash, and their integrated editor is inferior to standalone ones.

Attached: lain_cheeky.png (800x800, 280K)

Used to only use editors when I was still retarded and learning Python, but I moved to IDEs once I got the hang of actually developing things from scratch. It automatically sets up the shit I used to do by hand like Git and basic startup scripts, which is nice. Still use things like Vim when doing shit over SSH though, so it's nice to know how to use it.
I'd recommend doing something similar if you're just starting out, using just an editor to write code and learning how to manage/run your code manually via a command line. Once you figure that out, you'll know what an IDE is actually doing, and can properly take advantage of its features.

IDE because I can't bother writing those pre-generated class in cpp myself

Maybe your language is the problem

I only use editors, specifically nano.
However, if your workflow includes tmux, screen, or even a tiling window manager, you can definitively say that you've turned your OS into an IDE.

Attached: meido cade in the dryer!.jpg (1024x576, 195K)

I'm not the one to choose and there is hardly any competitor in my current line of work.

editor, I like tiling to be on a wm level rather then a hacked together tiling scheme that includes a shit terminal in a texteditor that can spawn new text editors itself for reasons?

I do wish, I had an editor that allowed me to move tabs between windows

>Which are you using and why?
Editor for config file edits / quick text files: self explanatory.

IDE for software projects:
I work on a 10 million+ line code-base at work. Visual debugging is the primary reason, tight integration with source control is the other. Also relying on code completion/refactoring tools is essential as it's impossible for you to keep up with what the 20 other teams are checking in every day. Also it's easy for collaboration when everyone roughly uses the standard environment. (Though I frequently make use of other external tools like grep when I'm searching for things in the source tree).

prefer IDE for Java or HTML programming, editor for everything else

>HTML programming

>implying html < java

java is more brainlet

I use both. Editors for most non-gui based programs. IDE for my gui based ones.

And html is not a programming language.

I just use VsCode. Don't actually use any of the "IDE-like" features.

NEET detected

Yes the brainlet is confused, but your attacking the good standard of the web when they need to see the light that oo is trash

That's a markup language m8. Do you program a document in latex?

Visual studio do this

Which IDE, which language?

>HTML programming

Attached: 1537580855.jpg (720x720, 44K)

1 community/code 1.37.1-2 (8.1 MiB 63.6 MiB)
The Open Source build of Visual Studio Code (vscode) editor
==> Packages to install (eg: 1 2 3, 1-3 or ^4)
==> 1
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (3) electron4-4.2.10-1 ripgrep-11.0.2-1 code-1.37.1-2

Total Download Size: 44.97 MiB
Total Installed Size: 201.87 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

Do you pinky swear this bloat is worth it?

it's going to balloon to 700MB the second you open a .c file, when it automatically starts downloading C/CPP extensions.

but does it let me move tab between windows? even when tiling and webbrowsers break?

I use IDEs almost exclusively unless I'm coding in Javascript which I try very hard to avoid doing. For me they really increase productivity.

JetBrains' IDEs have very good auto-complete, pre-compile-time error-detection and code generation features. MSVS has some really good profiling and debugging hooks.

I'm not the brainlet who uses java who called html programing, but your a brainlet if you imply html < java; such stupidity is the cause of javascript the great evil

Don't know if it will work on your distro. VS is heavily bloated though.

>but does it let me move tab between windows?
sure
>even when tiling and webbrowsers break?
what?

>IDE VS Editor
What meaningful distinction is there?
Is VSCode a Text editor? Is vim? Is emacs? Where is the distinction?

VSCode really is quite decent.

Feel free to criticize how much memory and file space it's using. But do you really not have the specs to run it and would you REALLY not use better productivity software on principal?

Tiling can often break bloatware; one common example is moving tabs between chrome based webrowsers

There is no meaningful distinction. If it calls itself an IDE it's an IDE. Not stop being cute and just answer the question.

Ok then I'm guessing vscode isn't an editor

Its not the space on disk, its the red flag that it won't be responsible in other ways and wasn't opinionatedly cut down

I don't like java, I had to use it as uni but am never touching it anymore. I'm a cobol programmer, all os my work is on mainframe, and I did more html in my free time than java in the past 5 years.
What I'm saying is that html is NOT a programming language, it's used to format documents, and not to make programs.

Attached: miku_pissed.png (457x380, 262K)

>Not stop being cute and just answer the question.
I use vim. But I couldn't say if it is an IDE or a text editor, since I usually use vim as the sole environment for programming.

>Ok then I'm guessing vscode isn't an editor
?

>Its not the space on disk, its the red flag that it won't be responsible in other ways and wasn't opinionatedly cut down
Which matters why? This is productivity software, not fashion statements. All that matters is how good they are at getting the job done

Stay mad, html is more complex and powerful than cobol or java.

>What I'm saying is that html is NOT a programming language
It even is in its name Hyper Text MARKUP language.

>Stay mad, html is more complex and powerful than cobol
Okay have your last (you)

Attached: tooru_you.jpg (1745x1080, 309K)

the patrician choice. anyone says that they "work" strictly with text editors has never worked outside of fart app projects or an academic setting. vscode might be jewcro$oft but its the best there is right now

I have 4 intentences of geany open currently on a system that I suspend not shutdown; I'm not doing that with an ide that will likely not sync or eat all the ram and be crashy or whatever.

I tile on the wm lvl, so I use editors, I don't need a program to having an entire wm built in like ide's tend to.

I use vim exclusively at work and home.

>close door
>start the machine
HNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG

Emacs, because it provides a seamless, integrated environment for almost all of my text editing.
Is it the best tool for everything? No. But it's almost always at least a good one.

Sourcecode management suites on mainframe like endevor make IDEs useless. Thanks to endevor, all your programming work is done on the standard ispf text editor (what a great text editor tho, better than vi in a lot of way) and the right compilation job is launched according to the type of source you were modifying. Execution is done outside endevor and for debugging there's already IBM's z/os debugger so no need to add another one, but there's no need to implement such features in endevor itself, due to how mainframe programs work it would be inefficient as hell.
Actually, even on unix you can efficiently replace any IDEs with a few shell scripts.

Attached: sachiko_heh.jpg (812x614, 267K)

What are some noticeable differences between vs code, atom and brackets? Why is vs code so much more popular the other two?

because it has more shills

>Why is vs code so much more popular the other two?
From my experience, because it simply has more features. Pretty much anything you can imagine either exists as an option or has extensions with the whole thing being pretty much instantly ready, from the integrated terminal to the debugger.
It is pretty clear that Microsoft really put quite a bit of effort into it.

I'm sticking with Vim. I'm starting out and I'm forcing myself to learn to use it, to get my own .vimrc just how I want it, learn vimscript and all the rest. Had an auto-completion add on for it for a while and felt like it made me insane. I like its bare feel.

I figured if I can "get" vim then I'll be able to go onto anything else from there. Maybe it's just a meme though, but so far I haven't found anything VSCode does that I can't bash / script my vim into doing.

Visual Studio for C++ and C#
PyCharm for Python

Unix is my IDE

>bloat bad
people like to be productive, you know...

Attached: 1549476016440.png (1465x1007, 67K)

And bloat is counter-productive. There was a place where I worked where they switched from a server-based PACBASE developpement platform to fucking ecclipse on everyone's machine. Thanks to all that bloated ecclipse fuckery the time needed to do a simple task was multiplied by ten at best. You had to download every single sourcecodes on your own machine to modify merely one of them, that was several gigabytes of code that had to be downloaded on every single machines, for every supported version of the application, multiple times because the workflows kept breaking all the time. Instead of using ecclipse, the older guys simply connected to the olden pacbase server and could browse sources faster than on their own machine.

post more arch comics

Attached: losers.jpg (495x411, 39K)

Attached: 5c234ba525b91c1e1414a31264565456d2324a875763c4196781edc7e34b9bb9.jpg (774x1512, 341K)

VisualStudio for C++ and C#

Notepad++ for a proprietary language my company uses

Eclipse for Java, gahnoo emacs for everything else.

Attached: lain sicp.png (496x400, 250K)

If the project is big enough to warrant using an IDE, you use the IDE, if not, you don't.

Attached: both.jpg (228x221, 14K)

>everyone has to involve gigabytes of code in order to run what they were working on
Nothing's going to solve that monolith they entombed themselves in. You were smart to abandon ship.

Depends how annoyed I am.
CMD and Notepad++ are my best bros when all is going good, but occasionally, I just can't figure out why the code isn't compiling, and I'll go back to netbeans, or visual studio to test it out.
If I'm using an engine for game dev stuff, I just use an IDE to better gel with the engine.

I'm used to VsCode and need to start using Java, is it fine to use or should I switch to something else?

>When I use an editor, I don't want eight extra KILOBYTES of worthless help screens and cursor positioning code!

Visual Studio and VS Code at work. vim for really small programs or things I need to do over ssh.

Code Lens and navigating around large projects are a breeze with VS. I would genuinely like to know how vim/emacs users work in larger projects.

Derailing this thread a bit to ask what do you guys use for debugging programs you wrote in a text editor like vim or notepad++ instead of an IDE with integrated debugger. GDP? Just prints?(lol)

>what do you guys use for debugging programs you wrote in a text editor
I generally follow a two step process:
1) Find the bug;
2) Fix the bug.

Yeah, I usualky look at the code I've been messing with too, but you know what I was actually asking

I've tried Emacs but fuck that shit. I like vim, but usually I do use geany and jetbrains. So I guess both.

Attached: la_luz_extinguido.png (640x550, 22K)

Having all the sources in one place and working on them remotely did make everything faster.
The application itself was massive, what it did was covering everything needed by the client (a bank) for it's internal functions. The application had both batch jobs and nightly processes, and teleprocessing applications used by the employees at the agencies. But all linking was done dynamically, so you only really compiled a few kilobytes of code (the exact program you were working on) and compilation time was minimal when not using eclipse.
When a really quick fix had to be done, everything was done on the rs6000 server directly, using vim and the cobol compiler.

Emacs. You can make it do all of the automation stuff that IDEs do. If there isn't a package for it, its easy enough to code stuff up in lisp. Things like CEDET make it even more like an IDE, although idk how well that works.

VS Code is a text editor, you're fucking retarded.

vim

>Does it really make a difference?
I expected a very specific workflow now that IDEs can't (or rather, don't?) give me. Emacs can do good as well but it doesn't jive well w/ the way I use text editors. Matters on your expectations.