/hpg/ - Headphone General

What audiopedophile memes have you fallen for this week, Jow Forums?

post requests in this format if you want useful recommendations
>budget
>location
>open/closed
>past headphones
>sound preferences
>intended use

Previous Thread:

Attached: 592b82ae33141f73bc38a9f354af83fb.jpg (600x849, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/over_ear_headphones/bose_oe_wireless_headphones.html
digizoid.com/headphones-power.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

can u start making iemgs too since nobody else can apparently be bothered

It’s for SUMMIT FIDELITY

Attached: CDB914AB-B03A-4B7C-96F6-B0694AA44DE9.jpg (3517x2736, 1.7M)

Well, if you say so, user

>tfw replacement earcups for your old headphones are discontinued
Rip
I can no longer just repair them, gotta replace
Thanks Sennheiser

how the fuck do you break earcups??

They just wear down from use?
Everything in life deteriorates man

Attached: E9CK2b3.jpg (1251x932, 424K)

Just buy new ones. Headphones are consumables, if nothing else fails the drivers eventually will. Shouldn't be a problem unless you're really concerned about the environment or bought headphones way out of your budget

Tech is not meant to be consumable
Fuck everyone who made it so

>replacement earcups
those aren't earcups though, but earpads. Name model number and maybe somebody can help you out.

Well, headphones are.

Fine, earpads then.
No they are still discontinued

No they fucking aren't. Look at Beyerdynamic for example.
>No they are still discontinued
just because Sennheiser doesn't produce any, doesn't mean there isn't some autist producing some in his basement. But w/e

>budget
$50-150CAD
>location
Canada
>open/closed
Closed
>past headphones
No models handy, mostly Sony brand stuff within my present budget.
>sound preferences
Neutral
>style
Over-ear. Wired or optional hybrid.
>intended use
Anything at my PC. Mostly listen to vocaloid or anime music of varying genres and play eroge or the occasional normalge. I have no friends and I'll be wearing them about anytime I'm not working, so comfort is important.

m50x

scratch that, they're not super comfortable

Soo... Why do we prefer headphones over speakers again

Anyone have experience with Superlux headphones, specifically HD660? They seem very good for the price.

they really are. just keep in mind that they don't have the best tuning so they'll sound much better with EQ.

>budget
up to 180€
>location
amazon.de only
>open/closed
want good soundstage for gaming but don't want to leak noise due to being noided
would open headphones on low volume work?
>past headphones
akg k550 (good closed cans but poor fit, didn't like stock pads, replacement pads ruined soundstage, and headband just snapped)
>sound preferences
not fatiguing, not too bassy
>intended use
semi-competitive gaming, electronic music, comfortable wearing
connected to FX Audio DAC-X6

read prev thread

>Hifi
>Oh sees
Weidd flex but ok

Attached: IMG_0340.jpg (5184x3456, 3.71M)

How do they compare against ath m40x? I see a lot of videos comparing them, but the superluxes are less than half the price in my country. I have the budget for the m40x, but i'm wondering if the price difference is worth it?

by videos i mean unboxings which are useless, there are no sound tests

m40x is closed. I suggest you check them both on rtings.com and make your own decision.

and no, m40x definitely won't be as much bang for buck than superluxes, they're pretty much unbeatable in that regard.

Thank you

What's the current Chinese meme dac ?

Sabaj D5. Top tier performance.

I bought Steelseries Arctis Pro yesterday.

I'd like to buy some high quality cans for watching movies and gaming, as well as doing music production. portability isn't an issue (just gonna be used in my home studio) and my budget is $3-400. I'd like to get very good sound quality without just paying out the nose for a meme. Wat do Jow Forums? Right now I'm using a pair of Sennheiser HD600 that are dying because I'm a fucking retard and sat on them.

>Right now I'm using a pair of Sennheiser HD600 that are dying because I'm a fucking retard and sat on them.
Are you for real? You broke a pair of headphones by sitting on them? My beyers flew halfway across the room on accident and look like new.

got a pair of these. how did I do?
bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/over_ear_headphones/bose_oe_wireless_headphones.html

Attached: cq5dam.web.600.600.png (400x600, 161K)

>budget
50€-100€
>location
Europe
>open/closed
Open
>past headphones
I have a KHX-H3CLW
>sound preferences
I mostly listen to rock and pop/jazz
>intended use
Commuting and office

Probably IEMs for that budget and usage

They got wedged between my hip and the edge of the chair when I sat down and snapped in the middle, they still work but the left side cuts in and out.

I've been using some Senheiser MX-375 but they are busted, which are better alternatives?

do you know anyone with any kind of soldering equipment/experience? That sounds very fixable.

is jbl any good

>budget
less than $600
>location
Canada
>open/closed
closed
>past headphones
irrelevant
>sound preferences
good sound with isolation as a priority
>intended use
electronic drums

I could get the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro for ~$100 and be done with it but I could probably do better. I am also looking at the Etymotic Research ER4XR as another option.

Any other recommendations? They need to be closed with good isolation so I don't hear myself hitting drum pads and they need to sound half decent.

Are DT1990 pads glued on or easily removed like HD6-- pads?

>solves the headphone game

Attached: 5vpn8pwecxx11.jpg (7323x4884, 1.68M)

everything Beyerdynamic is as easy to repair as possible, except maybe for T1 headband.

or the cables, you know

Thanks user

Want to buy Arya but Hifiman...man their shit fucking scares me.
Can't tell if that's rust or not, and how that rogue screw(?) got in there.

Attached: 1559453877036.jpg (2610x4640, 1.11M)

If you manage to fuck those cables up you'd fuck up a connector as well. But yeah in essence you're right, the cable is soldered on.

Misquoated/
Anyway, thanks user. DT1990 is pretty much greenlit.

Need some help guys.
I'm currently using a STX II and am quite happy with it. It drives my gear (Beyerdynamic T1 and Denon AHD 5200) easily at 20/100% volume.
I am thinking about replacing it with something like pic related though. Can I anticipate some substantial improvements in sound quality? I'm guessing not and that's why I'm still not decided.
Because if not, I could as well just fix an extension cable to my desk, so I don't have to climb below my desk to swap headphones anymore.

What I'm aiming for are some style points, not having to climb below my desk to swap headphones and a volume knob - I simply prefer them over keyboard shortcuts.
It should be available in silver with a minimal look (something like the Head Box S2) and maybe feature a symmetrical jack, I don't care which.
Are there any DAC/AMP combinations that can work as an actual amp to drive something like the nuline ws-14?

Anything that checks my boxes and isn't obscenely priced (~300€ budget)?

Attached: 51hQbzFCBML._SL1400_.jpg (1400x1400, 63K)

dunno if it can power the speakers, but the Fiio E9 has two headphone outs so you wouldnt need to swap headphones at all, has a DAC and has RCA and aux pre-outs.

Dont think it comes in silver though.

>Fiio E9
Sadly it's discontinued. I do own a Fiio Q1 Mark 2 for mobile consumption and it's a very nifty device. If they manufactured the same shit in large with no battery I'd just put that on my desk.

>HD280s starting to wear out its pleather pads
>maybe it's finally time after 10 years with the same model of headphones
>it's time
>time to move up to HD 380s, the headphones that you always wanted to move up to but never quite could justify the expense
>it's somehow discontinued
what a FUG sennheiser im NOT meming for open headphones u FUKS
Anyone got alternatives?

bluetooth recs? was looking at the sony wh 1000xm3 but saw someone say the actual audio quality sort of sucked. any other good bluetooth headphones with sound cancelling? will be using them for my bus commute. anything < $400 is probably fine.

what kind of bluetooth do you need? Personally I'd go with a regular headphone, a short cable and a bt adapter.
If truly wireless, I can't help you out with that.

So I have a question. I have a cheap pair of Samson SR850's which I thought were decent, but after buying some IEMs in similar price range(moondrop spaceship and Final E3000), they now sound super boring to me. It just doesn't sound that much better over listening to my even shittier speakers. Even the $20 spaceships sound better(though I dislike them for other reasons).

Is this because they are bad headphones, or do you think it's more likely because they're open and I should just try to get a pair of closed headphones?

I've tried this actually, but the adapter made my m50x very uncomfortable and heavy. The quality was also sub-par.

did you get the one directly attached to the phone from fiio, or the clip on one? because the clip on on a shirt should be very comfy. No idea about quality though, as apparently it's all over the place...

>budget
less than $600
>location
Canada
>open/closed
closed
>past headphones
irrelevant
>sound preferences
good sound with isolation as a priority
>intended use
electronic drums

I could get the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro for ~$100 and be done with it but I could probably do better. I am also looking at the Etymotic Research ER4XR as another option.

Any other recommendations? They need to be closed with good isolation so I don't hear myself hitting drum pads and they need to sound half decent.

ANYBODY? :S

Attached: thumb.jpg (600x600, 94K)

I got the mpow streambot 2 in 1 from amazon. probably the reason the quality sucked. do you have any recommendations for bluetooth recievers and then wired noise cancelling headphones?

I do not own a electronic drum set, but my new AH-D5200 sound very nice with drum heavy music. Apart from that the regular stuff, DT 770, 1770. Or get the HD280 and a decent open pair for other purposes.

I'd get something from fiio, as they usually produce quality stuff for low prices. Not the gen 1 receiver though, that one wasn't that great.

Is the topping mx3 a good poor man's alternative to the dx3 pro? Will be using it with my hd58x's because I'm getting some interference noise from my ThinkPad and because I want to properly drive my hd58x's and possible future upgrades.

well well well user, what’s listening this evening?

Attached: 02B9B3A7-E7F9-40B3-9EBC-8030808E3EBA.jpg (4032x1961, 1.52M)

gonna have a go with these here aeon flow, personally

Attached: FC2AD7F7-5ABC-46C2-BC9E-68A9483EBBC7.jpg (2584x2986, 1.66M)

Woops wrong pic

Attached: 578511F3-0C9B-489F-8E52-53F0AA00FD69.jpg (3503x2738, 2.17M)

>budget
$200 max
>location
US
>open/closed
closed
>past headphones
rocketfish, logitech, astro a40 (used to be a console gamer and haven't gotten new headphones since)
>sound preferences
idk good for rock music i guess
>intended use
watching anime, occasionally listening to music

also need them to be confy

what are the flaws of the closed Aeon?

They're cheap, but does anyone here own the Sony MDR-ZX310?
What would you describe their sound profile to be like? What would i upgrade to if i like their sound? I tried a few other headphones and while they're better in some aspects, i don't find the sound as enjoyable for casual listening.

Attached: 1558427116161.jpg (320x213, 7K)

Looking at the frequency response graph of the zx300 I'd probably recommend a Creative aurvana live!
Apparently those Sony's are on the warm side of things and the CAL! is just about the best relatively cheap warm headphone know.
If too cheap, consider Denon or fostex

Those won't have the absolutely insanely pronounced lower mids though. Honestly, the graph reads like utter garbage.
The Cal! might be to your liking, but the zx fucked up how you perceive music by its ass frequency response, you'll likely find the treble to be annoying bc no other headphone I know of drops 15db between 2 and 5khz, just to increase by 10 for 7-10 khz again.
Whatever headphones you end up getting, use them for a while to reset what you expect of the music you're hearing before sending them back.

>but the zx fucked up how you perceive music by its ass frequency response
That might be possible lol. I remember distinctly how i thought they sounded muddy when i got them. At the time i had no budget and grabbed these. But a few months ago i got some dt990s and while they sound a lot better in some aspects, something is really missing for me. The music just sounds a bit more "comfortable" and "enjoyable" with my cheap sonys.

Thanks! More than anything i just want to know what i'm really looking for here. Maybe it's the mids.

no real complaints here, best(only) closed planar I’ve heard. I bought them for portable use and in a particular case they could be easier to drive for me...direct out of my battery powered synths is hit or miss if I need an extra amp stage to get enough volume, but their isolation is great which helps when I’m playing down at the park/outside etc.

Attached: B847FD6B-BFCD-4803-BD0E-51CE80DCBC06.jpg (3644x3002, 2.17M)

I think the bright trebble is what fucks you up on the DT 990. The dt990 has like 15db more than your zx3 at 6-8khz, which is a lot.
The CAL! or something Denon/fostex would be my final verdict.
Always loved my CAL! For just what you're describing, they are just fun and not annoying to listen to, even on hours on end. My T1, which I love, loses in that regard and that's why I got the ah-d5200 recently to have a CAL! in good.

Not sure, i'd like to think that i got used to the treble by now. Are there any equivalents in the under 200 category?

Equivalents to which headphone? The CAL? Maybe a used Denon ah d 2000/5000 or the 1100 which is a better built CAL!
Could try the Cal2, but I never heard them, so no idea how they actually sound. Heard that they're supposed to be similar to the cal1 though.

Yep the CAL. Anyway thanks for the advice.

If you do get them, could you maybe drop by and give a quick heads up if they're up your alley?

Sure, will do.

Audio quality "sucks" because they are Bluetooth, it doesn't have to do with the headphones themselves. They are very good for Bluetooth headphones.

If you want ANC and bluetooth, you are sacrificing sound quality, it's not a compromise you can escape.

is 170 an ok price for an hd6xx

Attached: 1564827788954.jpg (1901x2201, 1.23M)

good job user

Speaking of the CAL!
Is it a good enough introduction to how biodyna headphones sound or is it too bad to actually give me a vague idea of how something like a Fostex TH / Denon would sound?

It's biggest flaw is the existence of the ether cx, just $100 and better in every aspect

No, an Amp/DAC is not going to be a substantial improvement in sound. There are objective reasons while an amp/dac is beneficial (volume and noise distortion). If you do not have issues with either, all an amp/DAC does is provide you with an easier access point from an objective point of view.

Be aware that the 3.5mm port on the MX3 is really shitty. I don't think Topping expected many people to use it much. Mine started to break after about 8 months, I have to wiggle the cable to get sound in the left headphone driver. Fortunately, I bought a Topping D10 & Atom dedicated for headphones and only use the MX3 for speakers now.

A 1 watt capable headphone amp would explode your ears right?

Depends on the headphones

250 ohm with the volume knob turned to max.

Sensibility?

*sensitivity

I don't have gain switch.

digizoid.com/headphones-power.html
just input the impedance and sensitivity of the headphones there to see how loud they'll be

650 modded is detailed on its own way, jesus

What are the best comfortable, flat-sounding, everyday headphones money can buy?
I'm talking about something you can just put on for hours without ears hurting, and that you can just plug in a PC/smartphone jack without DAC bullshit, and no nigger bass.

Attached: 1547998583750.jpg (627x830, 75K)

Thank you. Judging from this the OPA2134 is not as powerful as Audioengine is claiming. The sound is very good and definitely better than on-board, but I can listen to higher volume (maybe 20-30%) from my PC.

So what will give substantial improvement in sound?

You could go to a physical hifi store and try out amps and dacs and see what you like. But these are just subjective differences in sound due to a number of factors, it's audiofool territory to claim they provide 'better' sound but you might prefer a different sound.

SHP9500

about to order dt880 premium, am i making a mistake or nah?

based beyer chad