/devops/

backend devs pushed to ops because of shitty infra edition

Attached: 1*EBXc9eJ1YRFLtkNI_djaAw.png (1982x1020, 115K)

>backend devs pushed to ops because of shitty infra edition
feelsbadman

>test
LMAO who does that

Lmao the fuck is devops? Im one of two developers in my company, so we just make a new branch for whatever feature we're working on then merge to master.

I test in prod

how is the new version deployed after?

SFTP

Based

>2019
>not being agile

>agile
I have 100 agility, fagget

How is the master branch deployed ? To what servers ? Who is in charge of the infrastructure ? Monitoring ?

>How is the master branch deployed ?
SFTP
>To what servers ?
Rented servers
>Who is in charge of the infrastructure ?
We(the programmers) are, but we rarely have to do anything, it's pretty hands free
>Monitoring ?
Lmao why? If there's a problem someone will call me

Not that guy but we still have a project that is deployed to 50 servers using FTP.

Oh looks like there are other retards out there. And the guy is even proud of it. See

What's the problem with using SFTP, user?

Use rsync at least.

Only two devs lol try 50 devs and you will know whats devops for

Why?

>tfw Head DevOps engineer for small company
>huge stack of on premises servers
>using multiple kubernetes clusters and rancher among other products
>devs develop code and use git
>devs run tests using containers
>tfw code works on any x86 machine with docker
>when a container is ready to be deployed, new image is automatically deployed into project and old image is revoked
>Automatic SSL cert provisioning via Let'sEncrypt module

Automation feels pretty fuckin' good.

Attached: Trekt.jpg (800x600, 50K)

Did you/are you willing to document the setup you have more extensively?
Also, where would you recommend learning devops?

jelly
I`m back-end we are just containerizing everything, to only then finally have a real testing environment.

bump

Tell me how to get your jobs

What do you gays use for python devops? Most of the stuff I see seems shitty and unsupported.

Ansible?

>Rancher

but why.

>Lmao why? If there's a problem someone will call me
Lmao that means your project is not important/big enough to have proper monitoring.

If you get called on a big/important project, that means you've failed.

Well it's only the system that runs the whole company. Nothing too important.

what do you mean 'for python devops'?

if you're looking to deploy code, any pipeline would be able to handle python

ansible is just used for configuration management of servers

say "docker container" during the interview

that's nothing, I prod in test

>Tfw I work for a company that refuses to believe containerization is a thing so they have dedicated VM's for servers instead of containers for services.

>Someone literally gets paid $95k a year to shuffles resources in ESXi

where i work they kept trying to pretend docker wasn't a thing, until this year kubernetes was forced down their throats by one big project. fags are now running in circles trying to catch up. your company will either end up having to convert or fold imo. the 90s/early 00s sysadmins who don't know how to code are gonna be unemployable (already are, depending on location) if they don't adapt, and the costs for the companies not using containers are too high. they can't remain competitive with everyone else migrating

Cringe

Yeah, my company's there. Luckily I can just not deal with it and let my superior do all the ops work and I can do all the code and only have to do any ops work when either he's on lunch or it specifically has to do with why algorithms I wrote and only I'm familiar with are behaving the way they are.

Am I weird for liking ops over mindless shoveling of code into some giant app?

Is it true sysadmin jobs will all become devops in the future and anyone who wants the job will need a bs in comp sci

Yes, youre weird for having preferences. Stop it.

Bonus points if you say "OCI container"

>anyone who wants the job will need a bs
already happening

All IT jobs that don't require high-level math will be automated in less than 10 years

Yes and no. The most valuable employees will be 10x as productive as a normal sysadmin today for only 2-4x the pay. Some (maybe most) companies have poor management and are very tech illiterate, viewing the IT department as a waste of money. These organizations will pay bare minimum for a normal sysadmin instead of premium for a devops guy.
They have been saying that for 50, not going to happen.

I became devops precisely for this reason. Can't watch the frontend niggers fucking up the memory so badly we need 32GiB of it on a single fucking server. Also no one seems to be able to run a line of bash without googling except for the CTO and that one guy that went away for greener pastures. But hey, at least I got paid 10k/y more.

Checking in

hai im new here wat does devops actually do?

Instead of building things on your computer you build them on a server
Something like that

Your job might completely differs depending on the company you work for
In bigger companies it usually refers build/release automation, or infra-related automation with puppet/chef/ansible or the like
In smaller companies you will do anything that devs/support doesn't do, essentially everything related to infra/hosting, but with a load of random shit. Your role is usually wide and not clearly defined so you end up being the "trash" - if people don't know who should do X, then you are that person.

so there is no consensus on what a devops is supposed to do.

You become a redditor and you will start to suck tranny cocks

id like to suck your tranny cock

I am not a redditor shill who is shilling this devops shit on Jow Forums
therefore I am not a tranny

oh yes you are, stop playing games.

Back then you had developer monkeys who developed shitty code and infrastructure chimps who were in charge of keeping shit running and haul files around

Devops automates most of the build/test/release/deploy process all while adding full monitoring of the whole thing in order to consolidate both monkeys into one, so now you have to pay 1 wage instead of 2

we are using Capistrano on one project and the rest is still SFTP, because fuck docker we are still in 2000s.

What's a more modern alternative to Capistrano that is not about containers?

ah, so they're the faggots that set up the pipelines and shit like that I get it.

str > agi

puppet

devops is supposed to setup the testing and production environment, automate deployment of new releases, configure the backup policy, handle security, etc.
devops doesn't install excel on your work PC or does help desk shit.