/spg/ - Smartphone General

One Phone to Rule Them All Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget, and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com
phonedb.net

>Frequency Checker
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker
frequencycheck.com
willmyphonework.net

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/5QCem1YH

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Last thread:

Attached: file.png (727x454, 781K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B07CZFRXP1/?coliid=I1TD17PPJFLJWZ&colid=7U6MBI347NGZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
youtu.be/WpPw7lUXyI0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

gimmick phones will always prevail over the army of boring monolithic slabs

Attached: 1020.jpg (640x360, 18K)

good smartphones when

It's a slab too, you know. Just because it has a huge camera body on the back doesn't mean it's not a slab shaped phone. All phones are slabs. All phones are rectangular. Stop speaking shite

Disc shaped phones when?

how the fuck are xiaomi doing it? every single review is extremely positive

Attached: k20.png (2559x1200, 1.98M)

Mint (T mobile) in burger here. Considering this, yay or nay?
amazon.com/dp/B07CZFRXP1/?coliid=I1TD17PPJFLJWZ&colid=7U6MBI347NGZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

What are you surprised about? All phones are cheap to make, Xiaomi just sells it for a little above the manufacturing cost. They make profit off sheer volume and maybe the ads

which phone respects my privacy more? android or apple?

Is it autistic if I get extremely angry when others don't share my taste in phones? I expect the whole world to march to my beat because I am right and I know that.

youtu.be/WpPw7lUXyI0
phoneman shat on it. im guessing most reviewers were paid off by china.

Just ordered a Note 7. You fuckers better not be memeing this time

Attached: 1335793724252.jpg (300x168, 9K)

>buys note 7 just after note 8 is released

Redmi or Samsung?

If Samsung... lol.

My S10 seems pretty good.

Alright Jow Forums I need a phone.
I'm on verizon, and I want something that has
>Stock Android
>Headphone Jack
>Great Camera
>Micro SD slot
>modern CPU
>Gets regular updates, if possible

My moto g6 just isn't cutting it. The processor is weak, and camera is terrible. I was looking at Sony and Nokia phones, but there seems to be tons of issues users complain about.

Pixel 3a / 3a XL (no MicroSD slot tho)

Exynos Note9 flashed with Lineage

how can i see the actual current maximum battery capacity and check my battery health on android? i've got root

Is pixel 2 XL still good?

Why the fuck didn't anyone tell me that PSP emulation on Android was so easy? All those Yu-Gi-Oh tag force games I can play on the go.

try the monster hunter game while youre at it

S10 is god tier. Probably the best Samsung phone. Note 9 is fucking amazing too.

Galaxy S10e buddy. Fuck stock android dont be a normie.

>battery life isn't a priority
not a power user, I see.

Someone explain to me why Samsung can't jam a 6000mah battery in their flagships. Fuck them

AccuBattery

muh thin

get a usb meter and measure mAH as you charge from 0%

what phone is this

accubattery does this too, no extra hardware needed

Blackberry Classic

why are no other phones coming out with aluminum backs? i really miss the feel on the back of the iphone 7

Mi 9t/Mi 9t pro

software solutions like that can have issues, on my one plus one back in the day it never gave the correct capacity/charge rate. plus having a usb meter is just useful, also test 18650's and other usb devices with it.

Everyone uses cases now.

Can I trust phone screens from ebay/amazon, I love my Xperia but I'm too clumsy and didn't buy a good enough case

I was thinking of that, strongly considering, but 64 gigs just wont cut it. If there was a 128 gig model, I would go for it.

not a big fan of samsungs, but arent their custom CPUs weaker than snapdragon ones?

I'll think about it

I am. Work 12 hour shifts, but most phones are meeting the demand. I imagine most phones don't have a worse battery life than a moto g6

Also, I'm an avid runner. Do most phones nowadays have some IP rating (primarily for sweat and humidity)

>people need a phone to remind them to stop playing social media
just wow
also how is this one of the main feature of android 10

Attached: digital wellbeing.jpg (1280x600, 106K)

Zoomer bullshite

I'm not buying a new phone for a long, long time. I'm happy with my ancient low ranger.

Wait for the Nokia 6.2/7.2 if you can. Only thing that sucks is the processors.

They make nice phones with a low value, how can someone hate this

Buying PRC listening devices to carry around in your pocket

Attached: 1567965809865.jpg (500x628, 65K)

Not him but only the Pro with mediatek shit was released, the Note 8 was only announced. Neither had global versions announced to this date. And desu, their SoC is basically the same, the snap 665 is just slightly more power efficient, but it's also slightly weaker, the camera is probably the only big difference.

muh premium glass shit

which is why every time I jerk off I put the phone on my lap and try to fap as loud as possible

Better look for something with LineageOS support, because finding something with stock android and all the other stuff is not easy. Take a look at Mi A3 tho

What if your Huawei agent is into that?

Then they can start dating

What are some Jow Forums-approved apps for EXIF editing and file shredding? I've been using Photo Exif Editor and Shreddit, but I can't help but feel that there might be something better.

I also eat a lot of beans and carry my phone in my trousers' back pocket

>file shredding
>on flash storage

Attached: 253023-thinking-young-business-man-smart-casual-Stock-Photo.jpg (1300x866, 159K)

I use a an app called "Send reduced free" which is available on F-Droid.

Is it really worth it to pay more for the Mi 9T over the Note 7 if you don't really give a shit about the faster SoC? The only games I play on my phone are sudoku and Pokemon Go.

If you don't care about a notchless OLED, then it's probably not worth it to you.

no

guys can you recommend me a smartphone that's comfortable in hand, not like the new tablet size phones, more like good ol' galaxy s3/4/5/6 days

only thing that is required is a good camera

thx

Attached: 1567022643377.jpg (629x757, 138K)

Probably want to go with a Pixel then

Just ordered a samsung a70 128gb for £26 a month

Did i do good? Expandable memory, headphones & amoled screen

Yep, Pixel 3 or 3a. Hell, maybe the Pixel 4 next month.

What are you implying?
Looks interesting, but going by the screenshots, I'm not sure if it allows you to control each individual setting like Photo Exif Editor does (such as adjusting orientation).

File shredding on flash storage is almost impossible without a full format. They are not like HDDs that you can just overwrite that sector some times and get rid of the file.

Note 10 literally exists you idiots

any good password manager apps that work with a common file type that I can use with other OS apps?

I'm using keepass2 but for some reason I can only use database files from a google drive or my downloads folder. I'm trying to use syncthing with some app so I can have full control over my db files and not do updates over wifi unless its my network

very funny user

Yeah it's solid, big battery, and nice display.

Samsung galaxy S10e is clse in physical size

Jesus christ, why are all phones shit nowadays. Why isn't anybody making real mid range phones anymore, in the $400-600 range? It's either a race to the bottom thanks to all the Chinese manufacturers dropping the prices down to below $300 or phones that cost more than $1000.

I don't want a phone that skimps on the build quality and durability just because they try to cram as many high end features into the phone for as low of a price as possible, when mid range SoCs are good enough for 99% of users at this point. Pretty much no sub $300 phone comes with things like IP ratings and they're still for some reason made out of glass which just makes them more fragile.

I also don't want a fucking tablet sized phone, if I did then I'd use my tablet. The headphone jack is an obvious necessity as well, fuck the people who decided to remove it.

Pretty much all the phones that look appealing have one glaring flaw, the Mi 9T is too big, the Mi 9 SE doesn't have a headphone jack, the Galaxy A40 doesn't have IP rating, the A50 is too big, the Xiaomi Mi A3 has a 720p screen...

It looks like the only choice I have is to buy the Galaxy S10 or S10E since I can get it on partial payment through my carrier, but it's still way more than I want to spend on a phone.

Attached: 5a9.jpg (423x287, 91K)

Pocophone

No IP rating

the word you missed is 'monolithic' which means 'appearing to be made from one piece' or 'of uniform and undifferentiated appearance' or 'resembling a monolith' and probably other things that likely also apply to smartphones today

Attached: monolith.jpg (1280x720, 58K)

Why should I flash with lineage?

just buy an old phone. being on an old version of android is kind of nice since you don't get random surprises and updates that change everything

Apple for sure. Their business model isn't based on selling your data like Google's is.

Are you going to swim with your phone? It does have some water protections and it seems enough to be at least splash proof. There are even some people doing water tests on youtube, and it seems to work fine after them. The reason it doesn't have a IP rating is clearly the price point, getting a rating is not free.

Then how can one make sure files are securely deleted without a trace on flash storage? (Or is it something I shouldn't be too concerned about?)

Looking for a phone for my mother, she really only uses facebook, messenger, a few other things, and we've pretty much finalized it down to the Moto G7 power, any similar devices I should look at, and what's a good price point for the moto?
Don't think 720p is a huge issue, and she said that battery life is more important to her.
A Snapdragon 632 will age okay if she isn't a power user right?

Cos that's as close to stock as you're gonna get if you want a good camera and expandable storage. Otherwise live with the Pixel's storage.

You shouldn't be concerned about it, specially if your filesystem is encrypted. Learn about how TRIM works (search for TRIM SSD, it'll probably yield more results), just deleting should be secure enough. But if you really want to be sure, a full wipe is the only solution.

Apple is closed source and their EULA is bad as Google's. With Android you can at least control how deep you want to be in the botnet, and if your phone is decent and you are really paranoid, you can simply flash a custom ROM and get rid of anything Google.

Yeah but if I have a note 9, why bother flashing at all? What does lineage do that makes it worth it?

Not him but the user asked for something closer to stock, and Lineage is the closest to stock you can get without AOSP.

Looks like a spec bumped Oneplus One, should be fine as a FB machine
>147h endurance rating
Yeah, that's more than double the OP1

So I should encrypt my phone, then? I've thought about it, but I've had concerns since wouldn't doing so would make it harder to recover or transfer files, should anything happen to the phone?

>but I've had concerns since wouldn't doing so would make it harder to recover or transfer files, should anything happen to the phone?
Isn't that the point? It's a matter of choice desu, I personally wouldn't do it because I don't carry any sensitive information on my phone.

Unihertz Jelly Pro

I wish Xiaomi still used flagship CPUs for their Mi Note line

Yeah, so far, the nokia models look like the perfect midrangers, but some other anons have been saying how bad they are in terms of hardware and software issues.

Fucking retard. First of all, it's entirely possible to not have an android phone connected to Google at all (try that with an iPhone).
Also, Google isn't selling your data. They sell your money. No one can make as much money off of your data than Google, so it would be stupid to sell the data and reduce its value that way. Its like selling a money printing machine... Why would you sell it if you can just print the money anyway and keep the machine?

I have a Nokia 6.1 right now and it's pretty nice. Haven't had any issues with it, but I'm merely one user.

But Mi Note is their midrange line

Whats the new poormans under $200 used phone to get?

Great camera is a plus.

I kinda want the Titan, but no number row, and they won't name the SoC make me very hesitant.
Maybe a used LG V series

Fuck I need a new phone; my Nexus 6 has served me well but now hasa bug where it will often hang when booting, and I have to turn it off and back on a whole bunch of times for it to "work" - once its fully booted its fine, provided it doesn't power off again. There's also another bug with sometimes not being able to use mobile data until I reboot the phone, so that can be a problem.

In any event, I've been hoping for it to hold out another few weeks until the Google Pixel 4 and OnePlus 7T (or whatever they're calling it) will show up. I'd prefer something like the Librem 5 or at least Fairphone if the hardware (and software in the case of Librem - I'm sorry, if it can't run Android apps somehow these days, its a tiny little computer, not a functional "mobile/phone" device that can step in where needed these days) was sufficently modern and supported.

Whatever I get should be long supported by the likes of LineageOS + MicroG (or similar) custom roms and have flagship grade hardware, if its asking a flagship price.

Just get a Redmi Note 7

under €250 with good custom rom support? i dislike miui botnet

At the risk of sounding stupid, could one still create personal backups from an encrypted phone? And any advice on handling and eliminating sensitive information on my phone?

You can still connect your phone to your PC even if it's encrypted.
>And any advice on handling and eliminating sensitive information on my phone?
I'm pretty sure there are many apps that can create encrypted containers that you can store your files, or you can just store them in a encrypted zip lol. Maybe some user can help you better on this matter, because I never looked much deeper in this subject.

Mi Note 2 had SD821, Mi Note 1 had SD801
Both were flagship chipsets and there is no Mi Note 4 yet.
I bet they're skipping it cause 4 is unlucky in Asia.
We need an SD855+ Mi Note 5