Based technology

based technology

Attached: 1563898939916.jpg (1080x810, 455K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wattsupwiththat.com/2018/12/23/solar-panel-waste-a-disposal-problem/
rameznaam.com/2015/06/04/whats-the-eroi-of-solar/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That's not how solar panels work you little shit.

Don't they need to be facing the sun at noon to break even in cost?

Not based; meme

>not fixing them at the optimal angle

Attached: 951.png (474x711, 90K)

american fence

any solar panel collect ZERO energy in 90 angles. Who the fuck wrote this shitty article?

>break even in cost
You can't break even with solar panels. You'd need to have it subsidized heavily for that to happen.

Not true. It is just reduced.

>You can't break even with solar panels.

Attached: 1547966857919.jpg (403x448, 25K)

*degrades severely before breaking even*

They use them as fences because it takes the local government 7 years to come inspect them to make sure you can use them at all.

>degrades severely before breaking

>breaks and leaks toxic materials in the groundwater

we need to tax sunlight otherwise these people will ruin the economy. no one should be allowed to live off-grid and not contribute to society

you guys must sperg every time you see a fixed position panel. i see panels all the time and outside of a professional enterprise cost level installation i never see them on motors that allow them to follow the sun. no solar panel installation is optimal.

Instead of taxing it, why not sell it?

Their primary purpose is to be a fence. Generating a little electricity is just a bonus.

>you guys must sperg every time you see X
Welcome to Jow Forums

>solar panel
>some crystal
>leaking

wow there buddy, lay off the meth

No one is sperging over solar panels being completely fixed but there is a certain angle that provides the best generation depending on the area and never would it be a 90 angle to the ground

wattsupwiththat.com/2018/12/23/solar-panel-waste-a-disposal-problem/

YIKES

Yes they do, just at lower power. Remember this is a fence. Power generation is secondary.

If my neighbour put these up I'd grow plants on them, boot footballs at them and generally completely ruin any chance of them producing electricity. Stupid fucking idea. Why not use your cereal bowl as a hat!? Same dumb ape logic

a trustworthy source

Attached: yikes.png (272x623, 21K)

>t. brainlet

we had solar panels for like what... 30 even 40 years? we know how to recycle them already
as the first comment under that lovely dramatic writeup put it

"Most of the components of solar panels can be recycled. Metal, glass, and wiring can all be recycled and reused. Specialty recycling companies are able to reuse silicon cells by melting them down and reclaiming the silicon and various metals."

based china making it so cheap

Which isn't cost efficient to recycle, leading to the few third worders that actually do to simply burn off everything to get the copper back
unlike your faggot normie ramblings that article is properly sourced, with decent citations for pretty much the entire content, and it's a repost from a Canadian Free Press article, not something wattsupwiththat wrote up

The most optimal thing is to have solar panels facing all directions so you get electricity 12 hours a day instead of just 4.

cost effectiveness is not my problem, if companies are too greedy to actually recycle then you cant blame the panel technology itself
go blame those greedy cunts who just shove old panels on a container and send em off to godknowswhere
its the same story w/ EV vs ICE, people moaning about how its bad for the environment lithium is, completely ignoring the fact that you can recycle battery packs already w/ good yields while petrol just burns up and is gone

Good thing you can't afford your own house with a garden.

Lithium isn't even bad for the environment.
People moan because they're brainwashed by big oil, no other reason.

>$15K fence
>cheap
>or effective at being a fence
OP what's your IQ?

Attached: .png (805x275, 32K)

Good thing I got one from a dead boomer

Did you also inherit their grumpy attitude or did you buy that from your own money?

a used 300w panel is like 100 bucks*, and those are about as big as the ones in op's picture
so its not that much more than getting normal fence pieces, maybe twice as much at the very most

*i can get brand new ones from Italy for like 160 eurobucks

Congrats for knowing nothing about solar panels, their cost, maintenance, failure rates, and the cost of utility electric.

>cost effectiveness isn't a problem since costs doesn't matter
wew lad

I just did the math for my area. $1200 for panels to safely cover my usage. My average bill is $20+.
That'd pay for itself in 5 years.
Most panels have at least a 10 year warranty, the worst panels get 80% efficiency after 10 years, and last up to 25.

If i wasn't renting I'd consider it.

>unlike your faggot normie ramblings that article is properly sourced
heh

Solar's ROI depends on geography, but no, for most people it's good economics.

>we cant recycle something because we are cheapasses, thus the technology is flawed and bad

Solar-haters really have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to justify their position.

Face it, really-really-offshore nuclear energy is the future.

You sound like someone who deserves to get shot

Here's a brilliant idea for a startup: recycle solar panels and use 100% of gathered materials to make new panels. See if you'll have customers to buy your recycled solar panels at 2x the market price.

Nice bait

Have you considered solar irradiation and overcast percentage in your area? Also nightly downtime which would require batteries? A 100 watt panel doesn't just continuously produces 100 watts you know.

How?
I can't find these for sale anymore without some bullshit leaser trying to charge me for installation while trying to rent my own panels back to me. I just want some panels on my roof without the bullshit and these people are pissing them away as fence posts.

Attached: 1420327770141.gif (380x219, 874K)

Buy chink solar panels. They're 13% efficient average which is kinda low but are dirt cheap, you can make up for this by buying more panels and it's still far cheaper than high quality panels. Just make sure not to cheap out on the power handling hardware.

Not him, but youtube has videos of farmers putting up the setup you're describing for the cost of about $6000. Note that those setups have to power a farm, including all equipment. Seems like the most expensive part of the setup is just the power converter.

In a residential setup, you don't need batteries, you just use solar to lower your existing electric bill, which is a big deal because the places you should be using solar in the first place use a lot of AC power.

you're supposed to connect it to the grid. yes obviously if you live in a place where it's always dark its not a good idea.
But it's probably better to only try to buy half of what you need, since the power company will only pay you 10% of what you give them.
buying batteries would be a waste.

Solar panels only produce any appreciable amount of power while you're at work and there aren't any hardware operating to consume its power.
My point being that solar panel savings calculation is pretty involved and if you do the math properly you'd see that you'll never break even.

you're stuck in 2013. they're a lot better and cheaper now. I literally just did the math for you mongoloid. just look at the map retard, solar has been around for decades, most areas are sunny enough to get good outputs.
if you live in seattle don't buy it, arizona yes.
I'd break even in 5 years, and gain value for the next 20.

Attached: solar-on-cloudy-days.png (720x4317, 1.38M)

Wrong, your family can be home, you don't work every day, and there's still plenty of sunlight at 5pm anyway during summer months. And of course you just sell the surplus back to the power company. The idea that this isn't economical just isn't true for a lot of people.

We get it, you're a lonely neet who lives in Canada, stop making arguments about nuance when you're just thinking about yourself.

>Solar panels only produce any appreciable amount of power while you're at work and there aren't any hardware operating to consume its power.
dude, what do you run in your home that you saturate a 6 to 10 kilowatt array?

~$20 a month? Are you amish?

Personally i think solar on homes a good idea to supplement (batteries would help more) a homes power usage during the day. You're still gonna need a base load system. Not gonna run those giant factories or steel mills off renewable, unless you count hydro in with that term.

Solar and wind to run the entire system is a farce, unless we all want to step back technologically to the early 1900s.

Nice shill picture. In overcast you get something like 15% of normal power output. Unless you have solar tracking mount, your effective solar gathering time is about 5 hours a day. Then factor in the fact that the panels produce insufficient amount of power at peak and have large headroom otherwise. You not gonna eliminate your (the other user's) $20 bill, you gonna bring it down to $10-15. The panels will be dead long before they can pay for themselves.
Most power suppliers don't allow selling it back and those that do give you bullshit rates, basically zero. That's because solar panels cause the duck curve in the power grid consumption, which is extremely detrimental for fuel-burning generators as they have to cycle hard.
>2019
>having a family
Shiggy diggy.

Complete bullshit. Average power generated means nothing. Electricity is used immediately when it's generated. Battery systems are absurdly inefficient and are only useful for low-requirement applications. Solar energy is absurdly volatile and can only be used in conjunction with a larger grid of traditional power generation methods which can be spun up and spun down on-demand.

In the right scenarios, people can turn a profit on them but only if they have constant high-energy needs or have a small-need application that it'd be cheaper to put a panel on than to connect to the grid (like you see in signage). They are absolutely NOT hassle-free personal energy solutions that make sense for everyone as long as they live somewhere sunny.

Oh, and how much does the battery array cost for that?

>warranty
>Solar's ROI depends on geography, but no, for most people it's good economics.
It doesn't matter where you live. If you use solar panels and batteries the cost will never pay for itself before the first maintenance. Warranties are also 100% bullshit since most of it is fly-by-night type of dealing especially if you are installing them yourself to save money. Most warranties are void unless one of their "licensed professionals" installs it for you.

simple answer, don't buy one.
i don't know why you're still arguing this point. do you know what the word "average" means? people have been using solar for a decade now, if it was useless they'd stop buying. even overcast Germany has something like 20% of their power from solar.
solar panels last 25-30 years. my break even point would be 5 years, so again you're WAAAAAY off.

Yes, that is exactly the point. Why the fuck do you progs think the world is gonna change to conform to your expectations?

Running solar installation for the power grid is not the same as running solar installation for personal use you colossal retard.

>.t butt mad lineman

>It doesn't matter where you live.

Yes it does. Stop quoting German sources where the ROI is an eighth of that of California.

>use almost no power ($30-$35/month)
>look into solar
>cost of the panels + battery array = 20 year payback
>batteries only last about 5 years
>panels on last goodish for 10 years or okayish for 20 years
>constant maintenance for cleaning and battery tending

I ended up just cobbling together a wind turbine out of spare parts and only use a PSU with it so utility power outages aren't so terrible. For tools, I have manual/crank versions of most everything already.

>simple answer, don't buy one.
You should never run devices straight off solar panels. You need at least 1 battery as a buffer or the panels will degrade extremely fast.

>Germany
All utility power is heavily subsidized. Which is why normal power isn't sky high in price. It is the same for solar.

Also, people in Alaska use solar panels and they work well. Just because there isn't as much strong light doesn't mean they are totally worthless or even crippled much.

You are an idiot who has never used solar panels before and are talking out of your ass.

well that's a good point for peak hours, since I use most my power after work. in the winter that'd mean only my refridgerator was powered by solar, and everything else on weekends when I'm at home.
I'd still break even eventually, but it'd make more sense for the power company to buy the panels, since it'd take me longer overall.

Poor people hate everything they can't afford.

>You are an idiot who has never used solar panels before

You are an idiot arguing with physics and objective data. ROI calculates everything, from energy given variables like weather and geography, to the cost of tariffs and whatnot for import or domestic manufacture of solar.

Most Americans that don't live in the Southwest have an ROI of about 12 to 15, while Germany (the often quoted black sheep) only has 4. Southwest America gets energy production almost rivaling nuclear.

rameznaam.com/2015/06/04/whats-the-eroi-of-solar/

Why would u do this when you could just integrate the solar panels into the public electrical line

You ever noticed how places without government subsidies don't rush to create solar installations?

Yes, because unless a government commits to changing the economy of an area, then the established economy will fend off healthy competition if it can. Solar won't be that expensive for much longer, and it's already competitive.

Panels can face into the garden, not outside, you won't have much to block

Or maybe, just maybe, novelty factor is not a good enough incentive for people to buy shit that's effectively 5 times the market price?

Or maybe it's not 5 times anymore, even without subsidies, because the only reason it was ever expensive in the first place was lack of investment and economy of scale, something other forms of electrical production generally have no issue with?

Did you know originally DC electrical power was cheaper than AC just because of market reasons, too? Government had to regulate.

>economy of scale
>for gigantic custom-order generators
Moron.

>have solar panels facing all directions
>facing north

Attached: brainlet.png (1300x2000, 307K)

It was acquired through a firm handshake while maintaining eye contact

No, dumbass, economy of scale for solar panels.

>Literally redit: THe OP

i always forget to maintain eye contact even though my handshake is very firm. must be why I'm still a temporary embarrassed millionaire still.

your either a troll or a retard.

solar panels are not an investment

Try to find a single solar installation with panels fully perpendicular to the ground

Patriotic and Americanpilled

Clickbait.

>And some say, user's nose grew three sizes that day

Solar energy is near useless without efficient batteries

Why wouldn't you just build a fence and put the panels in a non retarded position just on the other side?

This is beyond retarded

kek

And then – the true meaning of Kikery came through, and user found the strength of ten Jews, plus two!

based, America the rich man's country

>>having a family

>2019
>being a NEET pariah

Attached: 1566979614000.jpg (500x432, 48K)

Are you pretending to be retarded? How do you function?

looks like cheap polycrystalline garbage you buy from a literal who chinese reseller of rebranded underspec cheap literal who chinese knockoffs of decent panels.

don't like my run on sentence well fuck off figure it out

Whats the point of calling someone retarded if you don't explain why their statements are retarded?

Wouldn't that become damaged overtime from wind, sand, dirt, rain, mud etc?

And like that other guy said, it's not even facing the sky.

You are unironically correct

>most panels get 80% efficiency after 10 years
Yeah, 80% of 20. That's 16% solar conversion in the best-case, it's-high-noon situation.

Re: The seattle "save $500 a year" image's scenario:
Your installation cost 20 grand and the panels wear out after 25 years. Do the fucking math.

>why didn’t they make a horizontal fence????
Imagine being this legitimately autistic/retarded. Holy shit.