I like setting up my own GNU/Linux system as a hobby and I have a decent amount of knowledge on it but I really don't...

I like setting up my own GNU/Linux system as a hobby and I have a decent amount of knowledge on it but I really don't feel like a tech career would be right for me. I would rather just pursue something simple like being a chef and do more interesting things in my spare time. I would probably be at my computer all day at home anyway so if I also have to do that during my 9-5 job I think I would live a very sad life.

I'm also a proponent of not being a part of bigger problems and I believe the advancement of technology has done more harm than good. If anything I would work with technology for the medical field but you never know what they're going to do with your research once you put it out there and it could be used in a way that you didn't intend.

What are Jow Forums's thoughts on this plan? Has anyone else followed something similar to it?

Attached: 1550230707982.png (673x673, 446K)

Other urls found in this thread:

editions-hache.com/essais/pdf/kaczynski2.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm doing this right now and I hate it.

Why?
Also are you someone from the tech industry trying to persuade me or no?

bump I would like some outside opinions on this

nice blog, faggot

it's about technology careers

I'm not in a field that requires too much competency with computers. But they're a lot of fun to learn about like you say OP. Hope whatever you do works out for you.

It took me 20 years of my life to realize that there's more to life then a computer screen. Don't get lured into being miserable for the money that comes from working a tech job, as tempting as it may be.

When I realized that this was making me miserable and that my life as a neet was basically a joke, I moved out, cleaned myself up, got a wonderful girl & the motorbike I always dreamed of, and I'm just enjoying the life I never let myself live until now. Keep in mind though, I moved somewhere really cheap, so I can get away with working two low pay jobs and still have enough for my expenses, payments, and some savings towards going to college later.

Screwing around with my Debian + suckless thinkpad is nice, but only as a hobby. Thinking about doing this as a job of any sort makes me want to vomit.

Just do whatever makes you happy. Don't make yourself miserable for a number that won't matter at the end of your life.

Thanks anons I appreciate the replies

What are you planning on studying in college?

I'm not entirely sure yet. Been looking at the sciences, stuff like marine biology and physics, but mechanical engineering sounds somewhat interesting too. It's 2-3 years down the line for me so I have some time to think about it.

What do you think you'd like to do as a job? I know you said you'd rather be a chef or work with tech in the medical field, what else interests you?

Sorry for the late reply

I think the arts and creative things like making video games or music interest me but they aren't something I would like as a job. Having deadlines and budgets would be very limiting creatively.
I don't really know what else I would pursue as a career. I'm also interested in the humanities and psychology but I don't know what people actually do with jobs like that.

How has technology done more harm than good?.

editions-hache.com/essais/pdf/kaczynski2.pdf

If you think technology is bad why are you on the internet?.

If you actually read the paper, you would see that it is not the artifacts of technology that are bad, it is the socio-economic system that bends human culture toward constant structural change via technological "progress" that is bad.
Kaczynski is not a Luddite.

Linux is the only thing that makes me happy.

I'm right there with you except I made the choice to pursue a tech career. Music and literature are substantially more interesting to me. Why sit on a computer all day? Because it's an easy way for me to make money that can be converted into a better lifestyle for my family. Furthermore, that money can be saved for a future when I can finally break away from industrial society. As correct as Uncle Ted is, the only way out is through.

>I have a decent amount of knowledge on it but I really don't feel like a tech career would be right for me

You sound like one smug and dumb CIA nigger

Are there any Jow Forums approved tech careers that don't need programming and math?

sysadmin

user chef's work crazy hours in a very intense none air conditioned environment, do something more laid back

like what

I want a laid-back job