Your method disposing hard drive

When you dispose of your hard drive do you software wipe (DBAN, eraser etc) only? Or do you physically destroy the HDD or even use both software wipe+physically destroy it?

Attached: images.jpg (259x195, 12K)

>software wipe a few times
>then fill it up with music/anime/vidya so if someone actually is going to use it, they find a surprise

Pls don't destroy usable storage.
Send them to poor user @ 3rd world shithole.
I promise I won't look at your cp.

Software wipe is plenty

It all depends on how "gone" you want your data

propably the best thing to do. Use dban, then fill it up with music, anime or movies. The old data wouldn't be traceable

I'm a DIYer. I take the aluminum chase, melt it down, and cast other parts/art with it. I take the magnets and integrate them into various wind turbines. I use the platters for mirrors since there's really not much you can use them for. I save the motor for future projects. Everything else gets trashed.

i take em to the range

you should use full drive/partition encryption to begin with, that way with a proper encryption (long pass, etc.) wiping will just be an extra precaution rather than a necessity

if it's a HDD (not SSD or hybrid), overwriting data once should be enough. The only thing I'm not sure about is in case of bad blocks that might end up having important data and how recoverable they are by pros (unlikely event). Encryption solves this problem.

SSDs and hybrids is where it gets tricky, because these drives probably have more space than they advertise and its controller decides which block to write to, making it hard for the software to overwrite all of those blocks with data. So even if you overwrite all blocks a couple of times like you do with a normal drive, data could still be inside. Read TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt docs regarding this.

Again, proper encryption solves this problem. But if the data is not critical, using manufacturer's method to wipe the SSD (I know samsung has one that you boot into) and then wiping it 1-2 times with DNB/eraser should be more than enough.

All my drives are encrypted so i don't even care to wipe 'em.

The police came and collected them all for me.

>keeping the platters intact
That's the only thing that actually matters when destroying an HDD.

Go back in time and use full disk encryption.
Or remove and smash the platters and use a plumbing torch to heat past the curie point in a stainless sieve.

>not keeping your old hdd for deep storage

Attached: f77aa746-447d-4b79-80f0-c0497df47697..png (500x500, 184K)

>not using self-encrypting hdd with a key wipe pin connector

Attached: 02780cf0-b13e-4d6b-a986-658072040db6..jpg (700x594, 132K)

if I were to dispose of it I'd just DBAN it with DoD
I do software wipes before installing or reinstalling an OS with quick erase already
I'd probably do this or this though maybe not to a 3rd world country, I don't really want to pay for shipping to europe
I'd also offer to install an OS on it or format it before selling it or giving it away

I usually unscrew them and disassembly them for curiosity and because HDD disks are neat. I also always take the magnets out of my headphones whenever they die.

Sorry, but by the time I retire HDDs either they're nonfunctional or they're so ancient that the cost of shipping would be more than the cost of an equivalent drive.

If anyone has ever recovered any data from an HDD platter that has been exposed to a non-laboratory-clean environment then I would be impressed. Those things are fragile.

dskwipe.
But I'm biased because I wrote it.

Shoo shoo NSA

Just chuck it in the ocean. Easy peasy.

You REALLY think the NSA has the resources to go through people's garbage and plug them into their alien super computer for the chance of uncovering something naughty?

Maybe if you're Osama Bin Laden the CIA will have that kind of budget allotted for you.

Drill through multiple times. Randomly overwrite once before.

It's mathematically im-fucking-possible to recover anything from there afterwards.

depends

most cases:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/... bs=4k
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/... bs=4k count=10000

you can shred 25-35 times, then destroy the drive
I see no reason for this

also: just encrypt the drive beforehand

If you don't physically ruin/destroy the platters you're not doing it right. There are forensic tools that let you read *between* the tracks on an HDD and recoverdatat that was supposedly purged by a software tool.

I use a hammer.

Attached: 7BD18426-AB1D-47F1-9274-482B169D50A4.png (500x564, 160K)

I put the plates on a big magnet.

Just stack it up in a box. The drives with sensitive stuff I just wipe it a few times and fill it with gaymes then sell to the poor fags, no one would bother to look

Why would I care about that? The drives don't work anymore. No one is going to harvest the platters out of my crap to get data off them. That would be retarded.