How long does it take to get a web dev job?

I'm a beginner in web dev and Javascript, my portfolio has a basic calculator app and an ugly php store.

Should I work some dumpy min wage job while looking for web, or double down?

Attached: Zoomer.gif (652x562, 626K)

Other urls found in this thread:

javascript.info/
theodinproject.com/home
zety.com/blog/web-developer-resume
n0x400.1mb.site/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump for interest

bumpity bump bump

Work as code monkey for a web dev company?

How though? Do you just machine gun resume's on indeed?
Do you polish your cover letter, does a Cover Letter matter?

>AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

>I'm another CS skiddie guys, how do I $$$?
The field is overcrowded as hell due to college spamming CS degrees and hiring has practically been frozen since 2017. Good luck.

Attached: 1412473719922.jpg (420x393, 21K)

The industry is both over-saturated and in desperate need of very skilled people.

You are better off setting up a personal studio and growing from there.

The "Learn to Code" meme has unfortunately attracted a lot of art and literature majors to convert over to the industry.

Stop faggot, web dev is gay, get into something good like dev ops.

this unironically

not op, but I'd like to know what an attractive stack would be for jr devops positions

>The industry is both over-saturated and in desperate need of very skilled people.
Unironically, makes hiring a miserable experience. Since there are no standards, every company thinks their entitled to drag you through the mud with endless testing, even with entry level shit. Since it's hiring, there is no feedback. Have fun pissing time away on hackerrank. Headhunters will throwaway any resume that doesn't tick ALL the boxes; you won't get past them without a resume full of bullshit.
>The "Learn to Code" meme has unfortunately attracted a lot of art and literature majors to convert over to the industry.
That was web 1.0 back in 1998. Cripes that makes me feel old.

Attached: 1427760021350.jpg (1024x1024, 221K)

What about in Canada? Is it tough to get that foot in the door?

It's a pain in the ass. You're competing with India and other foreigners, despite having all the advantages of being home grown and english speaking. It was a headache trying to get jobs, until I eventually settled for a low paying web dev job. I eventually just made my own small business, got some experience, and had enough of a resume to get hired by an actual company that paid me near six digits.

It took me about one month, knowing basic programming (C + Python) and close to nothing about HTML/CSS/JS, to learning everything up to React and landing a jr. web dev job.
In my opinion, the thing that will take you the longest is learning how to program. It's also the most important thing you'll have to learn: don't skimp on it, find high quality materials to learn, make sure you understand recursion, big O notation, the basic algorithms and data structures.
Having a solid CS foundation is key, everything else (HTML, CSS, JS, JS frameworks, Webpack, etcetera.) is just a matter of reading MDN or the official documentation.

Would these be good to learn from?
javascript.info/
theodinproject.com/home

Even for Web dev? I thought that was just for software engineering?

What do you mean? Fullstack web development IS software engineering. Nobody is going to pay a first world salary for a static front end when they can pay a BR for $1/day.

Excellent, imo.
I didn't use either of these resources, because I didn't know about them until after I was already 1 year into working professionally as a full stack dev, but after looking at them I thought they were very good, probably the best.
You'll also benefit from reading "JavaScript: The Good Parts", perhaps even before diving into javascript.info and The Odin Project: don't worry about the fact that the book is old, since ES6+ is for the most part syntactic sugar over ES5, so understanding ES5 is essential (there are no classes in JavaScript: in the end it's prototypes all the way down), and you'll see that most improvements on JavaScript spawned from that very book. It is very influential and it's probably the highest value you'll get out of a JS book with only a hundred or so pages.

Haha OK buddy keep thinking that way

Attached: main-qimg-c7e79d7a78089a8d0f6024d3af73fd66.png (602x356, 146K)

This isn't even remotely true Are you bitter because you failed out of computer science?

The gatekeeping is hard though, and you'd be willing to get dragged by smug recruiters to land an entry.

The stats don't account for non-cs students so a little inaccurate

See if there are any businesses that you think could use a website. Make something static but good, and then grow from there. Soon, you will have people reach out to you.

>I'm a beginner in web dev and Javascript, my portfolio has a basic calculator app and an ugly php store.
If you have a bad portfolio and you know it, you might never get a job.
Hopefully you have a degree, at least. Otherwise, get to work.

>quoting Quora
Might as well quote yahoo answers, dipshit.

git
1 high level language (python etc..)
build/testing software (jenkins etc..)
Bash/PowerShell
Configuration Management (Chef/Ansible)

Bonus points if you learn about Docker and managing containers (Kubernetes)

Attached: 1565694710485.gif (136x193, 137K)

So basically:
Learn Programming (all of it) with JavaScript (killing 2 birds with one stone)

What kind of Portfolio do I need to get a web dev job (front, back full stack etc)?
Are they looking for; PHP store, JS app, etc?

I can do a generic calculator / tetris / etc project, but I don't think that's enough.

Thanks for responding, you're helping me alot :)

What constitutes a "good" portfolio?

Animation diploma with Web courses is the only diploma I have, does that count (genuine question)

Unless you really need an income source right now, do yourself a favor and get better, first.

I love that gif

How would you do pricing?
Would you do it in Wordpress, or just basic HTML, CSS and some Javascript?

Good web design. If you don't know what that looks like, don't be a web designer.
No.

He said he wanted to be a dev, not a designer. You don't have to know how to make pretty UI to do backend.

finding a job after graduation sucks. I didnt have any internships but I had a decent GPA and it took a few months to find a job, but it was some pajeet company in folsom california. I ended up hating it but working there for 1 year was enough to pad my resume enough to get my next job

machine gun any job that you would legitimately find acceptable for working

CVs are a big ol waste of time. I tried that for my first job but I doubt any of the hiring managers even read it

just pad your resume with RELEVANT details (dont just list every programming language you know), then make some shitty github projects and showcase it as your portfolio

You do for a portfolio. Especially if you don't have a degree. HR roasties don't know the difference.

So you DO need a cover letter for formalities / HR roasties? (I'm guessing generic is okay)

For resume, is pic related good?
>Rate my Resume format Jow Forums

Attached: 111111.png (850x1100, 123K)

>So you DO need a cover letter for formalities / HR roasties? (I'm guessing generic is okay)
Not really, no. Huge waste of time that could be better spent just sending more applications out.

>For resume, is pic related good?
It's okay, but you could do better. I would recommend finding a nice template with a prettier design.

Would these be good resume templates for Web Dev?
> zety.com/blog/web-developer-resume

>machine gun any job that you would legitimately find acceptable for working
when you say "find acceptable", do you mean a company you want to work for, or you match the job description?

Would it be a good idea to ignore the job description that I don't qualify for and just machine gun my resumes anyway?

>Would these be good resume templates for Web Dev?
>> zety.com/blog/web-developer-resume
Way better.
>when you say "find acceptable", do you mean a company you want to work for, or you match the job description?
Both.
Just apply for any position you are willing to take which isn't senior-level.
>Would it be a good idea to ignore the job description that I don't qualify for and just machine gun my resumes anyway?
Years of experience can be ignored. If it's senior or management then obviously don't apply. Otherwise you're good, if they ask you if you have experience in some language that is easy to learn, just say yes.

So the secret to pricing is this:
Never price low. If you are doing wordpress you may have to notch your prices down a bit, but never undersell yourself.

If say you are doing pure HTML, CSS, and JS for a 15 pgs worth of extensive content then you should charge from 30K to 70K depending on the complexity of the project.

If you are doing a single page for a company, I would chage ~$250 for a one time deal, or offer a cheaper price for monthly maintainance.

the hard part as a college grad is having relevant work experience. 0-1 items only, so you really gotta make a big deal out of it

A little confession. I applied for a mid-level Scala job that I had absolutely no clue about.
So before applying I read up on its usecases, comparative analyses, and industry trends and I was able to pass the phone screenings.

As for the test, I used stackoverflow to piece together a sketchy but working solution that got me the job.

I had one week before starting work, so during that time I buckled down to learn and practive everything relevant to my job descr. It's really this easy.

It's not that big of a deal. Most things you actually learn on the job, anyway. You have to do what you have to do, make up for it if you want by donating to charity with your newfound earnings.

>fake it till you make it
Nice! I'm doing this now (studying and researching so I look like I know)

For code tests, what do you recommend I study / practice?
Can you walk me through what to expect?
From my understanding from other jobs this is how I think it goes (I don't know for Dev jobs);
>I apply for position
>They call / email me for interview 2-3 weeks later
>I meet them at their office / location
>Talk about what I can do, etc.
>Email me and say they found someone else
>repeat until job is aquired

Thank for the responses, feels good knowing I have a real chance at this

I'm not impressed at all with a calculator code-along from YouTube. That tells me you should be able to complete a $100 lego set.
Don't waste much time on JS.
Learn Django or Flask and build something with dynamic content.
Otherwise I think you're looking at sitting next to the hippy chicks and spending your time trying to keep the logo from spilling over the navbar when the screen resizes, which sounds about as mind-numbing as a job on the line in a factory.

>Would you do it in Wordpress, or just basic HTML, CSS and some Javascript?
That's design, and you should be able to pick up all that over a weekend.
A static site isn't dev, and, again, you're going to be working next to the hippy chicks for $15/hr if all you can do is decorate a wordpress template.
Start with the Django tutorial in the Docs.

>So you DO need a cover letter for formalities / HR roasties? (I'm guessing generic is okay)
Make a python script that automatically generates cover letters to every place you apply to and include it in your portfolio. Mention it as a footnote on your letter with a link to the project.
There. You now have the chance to kill two birds with one stone.

>Don't waste much time on JS.
Why? Isn't one of the most popular languages in the world right now?

>If say you are doing pure HTML, CSS, and JS for a 15 pgs worth of extensive content then you should charge from 30K to 70K depending on the complexity of the project.
Those are insanely high prices. $3k to $5k if it's static content, and that's going to need at least a contact form.
$30,000 should buy you user log-in dashboards with email alerts and notifications, uploadable content, a contact form, a Google Maps imbeded link, a chat forum and a six month guarantee to be on the first page of Google. $70,000 should get you ESPN.

> GIMP
> MX Director 2004
I hope this is indeed a template.

You need to make this look better, it doesn't stand out at all.

It's extremely popular for a limited use. All the shit that moves on a website, and that's about it.
99% of the JS you'll ever need has already been written. You're going to have to be designing a poker website, or something original to use it in any meaningfully way, and which most business don't even really want that.
They want to look unique, but within the standard format, i.e. Bootstrap or Wordpress, i.e. the JS is already written. Learn to read it so you can make adjustments, but that wouldn't be my focus if I wanted to do development.
Artsy guy and hippy chick design it, dev makes it work. If you want to solo the project, make the dev the impresive part, (clean back-end, rational modularization, rational url structure, loops with dynamic views for each user), and massage a template for the front, which is what the sweat shops are doing.
They have "proprietary" JS and CSS, which just means they changed the names of the Wordpress files and host them themselves to make it harder to reverse engineer their product from the source code.

That's true for building advertising websites, but that's always going to be the bottom end of the industry. The real stuff is happening in web app dev, and there's plenty of work out there for someone who's remotely switched on with programming.

As someone that works at a corp that does a webapp (I was brought on for development reasons but I do dev opps mostly now, pretty comfy imo) I can offer my experience.
>start doing personal projects to learn web dev
>upload religiously to github
>try to get in on some community projects that revolve around what you're learning
>learn linux, just fucking do it, 90% of the systems you're building to run stuff on will be using it so get it overwith or give up now, you don't need to be a sysadmin but you should know how to run your dev env on it
>inflate everything you've worked on to an insane but still believable degree
>maybe think about a degree, not mandatory but might help, wont teach you shit though, best you'll learn is "java is a programing language and windows is an operating system" then they'll feed you bullshit that's 10 years out of date because none of your proffs have set foot in an office once in their lives
>learn how a database works
>learn how to set up basic database structures
>learn JS/HTML/CSS
>learn how to use git CLI
>make a resume going over all the stuff you've done
>have it link to your github and a bloated linked in
>throw you resume at anything that looks like it says "developer"
>pray to god
>learn to talk to people and ace the interview talking your way into a job

Where you did that CV?

The best comment. Let me take it a capture.

it's easy as fuck to get a webdev job. just make something in react, vue, or angular, apply everywhere, and be confident in the interview. and make sure your vanilla js skills are solid. i had to build a pubsub in my interview

more like 2n birds with one stone

Web is slow and WebAssembly is not our savior.
Go back learning native development.

Take MIT's 2019 crash course instead
n0x400.1mb.site/

You get a little bit of everything over 8 days or so, find whatever you like and pursue that directly like Vue.js or something. You need to practice. You can make your own sites but you can also just contribute to any open source project there's a billion js open source projects or react projects, or whatever. That way somebody can review your code.

Hijacking this thread for a web dev question, what front-end framework is hip right now, Still React? Haven't done webdev since like 2017, i know that for backend .Net-Core is doing okay

You can just use vanilla js, Node w/Express and CS grid or something like spectre css (flexbox) to do almost anything. Vue.js is still popular and simple to learn, React is still popular but overkill for most things, and the things you do need React for you can just do in ReasonML anyway.

tl;dr everything is Express js still (basic Node routing and shit), Vue, React, for the most part. Some newcomers like Svelte, ReasonML

Bro ReasonML is an Ocaml superset, not a front-end framework

I tried applying to web dev jobs in my country (Poland) as a 1st year uni student with a "decent enough" portfolio (Backend with Node and .NET frontend with React/Vue databases with Postgre) and everyone was like
>Uh bro sorry we cant hire you until you finish uni
>Uh bro sorry you gotta atleast be in 2 year of uni
Who gives a fuck about abilities when its better to hire some second year fuck that never made a site in his goddamn life, but hey he is a 2 year uni student!

bumpy bumpy bumpity bumperoni

Reason-React is, even if Reason is just an OCaml dsl that compiles to js.

Apply to some dev factory like Toptal
That's literally what all those 'vetted developers' sites exist for: to hire 3rd world types for $20/hr and make them take a bunch of codility tests before hand.

How do i create good looking and clean websites? I am decent at backend and just programming (websites) in general, but the moment i have to do the GUI is the moment everything falls apart. I know CSS, its just that i am an artlet

This is what you cope with when you buy into the meme that a college degree isn't necessary and all you need is certs. Git gud faggot, look at the requirements of every good job in cs.