Windows Vista, now that was an OS

Windows Vista, now that was an OS.

Attached: vista.jpg (1280x1024, 173K)

Other urls found in this thread:

msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-fork-targetting-xp/page/180/#comments
github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases
browser.360.cn/ee/en.html
seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.49.5/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you ran it on a toaster, it sucked.
If you actually paid attention and built something that was speced properly, it was functionally better than any OS in its time.

only some retard susceptible to stockholm syndrome could reflect upon windows vista as anything more than the bloated pile of steaming horse shit that it was. The only saving grace was that 64 bit Vista had decent driver support, however 64 bit wouldn't be relevant for another 5 years.

and 10+ years later windows still can't reproduce the ui customization abilities present in Vista/XP

Vista is so much better than 7, it's not even funny.

how

>Windows Vista
>that was an OS
That's technically correct. And rather obvious. It was an OS. A very shitty OS.

God, people had no taste back then.

But then again, at least operating systems actually looked distinct. Now, everything is material design, human interface design or something in between.

My grandma had a computer wth Vista on it. I used to use it when I lived with her. My grandfather has died since then and said grandma is wasting away from dementia so all this pic brings me is pain. Sucks desu

Imdexi g raped hard drives and made it suck as a daily driver it took theme years to fix the indexing issue. Specifically the one where Ms office would index files and then the kernel would I sex them again causing file changes that made office re index the drive. This looped and as I said completely destroyed hard drives iops. Making the system essentially grind to a halt for many users. Toaster or not SSDs did not exist yet best you could do was a USB drive for page file

as someone who actually started using vista on vista era hardware i can safely say that its ok
but its not special
its super fucking ram intensive, like 700mb on idle when XP would be able 300mb tops on idle
it has a lot of cool little cosmetic features and looks nice, dont get me wrong, but UI is something very "different", but its nothing to write home about
its like a slightly more toy like Windows 7
windows 7 just feels like it lost the color schemes and cosmetic fun
it does have the overall most cohesive visual appearance of any windows OS though, everything down to the most bland of background menus looks like vista and it matches everything else

desktop widgets, dreamscenes, this weird thing i can do with all my open applications, etc

but the nostalgia posting, memes or otherwise, really isnt founded in reality, vista got a bad wrap for what went on around its introduction with shitty OEM machines that couldnt handle it, bugs and out of the box flaws, software incompatibility, etc, but in the end its just like a prototype for windows 7

nostalgia over it i can understand in a sense, im only 22, im sure theres tons of people around my age on Jow Forums, so i can see why people would feel nostalgic over it, because for a lot of us this was the first OS we really used extensively other than XP, and it was a very different thing

tldr its ok

Attached: veeesta.png (1280x800, 903K)

>64 bit wouldn't be relevant for another 5 years

My old HP g60 laptop that I got in 2007 came with 64-bit windows Vista. Vista didn't run that bad since the laptop had 4gb of ram. But I have to admit windows 7 ran a bit smoother on it.

I'm little nostalgia for this laptop. It's also where I got my start on linux (Ubuntu 9.04) and been dual booting on all my computers ever since :3

Attached: HP_Hewlett_Packard_NB041UA_ABA_G60_230US_Notebook_Computer_597228.jpg (500x500, 41K)

I like Windows Vista for its aesthetics. Its transparency effects were the best. When Vista was released in 2004, I just don’t think the world was ready for it as it required high specs for the time period.

As one who had already switched to Linux by then, I never really got the hate for Vista. Other than in terms of resource use, it didn't seem in any way worse than XP, and while its resource use was higher, so is that of any (GUI) program that sees any development whatever.

FBPB

that was the problem though, most people were running toasters still

Once they ironed out the issue with the drivers expiring it wasn't too terrible, but XP was rock solid compared to it

to me, Vista was the last Windows OS to have a consistent as fuck UI

7 is fine too (I just never liked the "flat" taskbar).

8, 8.1 and 10 are total garbage when it comes to UI deisgn

7 was how vista should have been
7 is peak aesthetic,stability and performance
No other MS OS prior or after has reached this level of perfection.

It needed 2gigs of ram which no one had back then.

all windows between 2000 and 7 fucking sucked
including xp
fucking trash system

>It needed 2gigs of ram which no one had back then.
And that fact was not publicized. They did the same thing with Win95.

>mfw I thought Vista was really cool back in the day

2006*

All interface design is human interface design you nonce

who here watched that gay plug for it on comedy central with deshitri martin

>better ui
>faster with the latest updates

linuxtards still don't have antialiasing on 3d switch

If your first PC had windows vista, does that make you a zoomer?

Just asking for a 23yo friend.

Attached: 1553601851914.jpg (3264x2448, 1.42M)

Yes. Anything past 98SE makes you a zoomer.

Damn.

>MOM WHY DO I KEEP GETTING THE UAC PROMPT WHEN IM TRYING TO INSTALL MY TORRENTED GAMES

it's better than being millennial lmao
memes aside, i don't think it matters much as long as you're an adult since there are retards of all ages out there.

Tell me a browser that still gets updates on vista

>New Moon 28
>Basilisk52
>K-Meleon - Goanna
by Roytam1
msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-fork-targetting-xp/page/180/#comments

>Mypal
by Feodor2
github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

>Extreme Explorer 360
by Chinks
browser.360.cn/ee/en.html

>SeaMonkey
seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.49.5/

(Only the 32bit Vista)

Thank you so much!

*crack*
*sip*
Now THIS was an OS

Attached: melogo.jpg (500x300, 33K)

The problem was mainly laptops with ½ GB of RAM and shit integrated graphics bundled with this ram hogger, and prebuilt desktops with DDR2

>7 was how vista should have been
in terms of performance and stability I totally agree with this

I just find the "rounded" style of Vista's taskbar to be more coherent with the rest of the UI which, in Win7, is, indeed, very coherent itself. It's just this small detail that bothers me.

Thanks. Now I'll have a browser for my Vista 2000s gayman machine.

I've been considering which to install on my x230 for nostalgia, can't you get that taskbar in 7 with themes or something like that?

>7 was how vista should have been
But it should have arrived 3 years before Vista actually arrived. xP's long life caused problems for Microsoft.
But the trainwreck that was the xP follow-on (Longhorn?) that forced a re-write caused the delay.