Do you think an iPad is a useful piece of tech? I’m not sure if I should just use my laptop instead...

Do you think an iPad is a useful piece of tech? I’m not sure if I should just use my laptop instead. Debating selling mine

Attached: FFC709A0-9DE9-4C15-9C5E-881FFF69E73A.png (940x1112, 719K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=des3dpKtfIM
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/2/16404430/samsung-iphone-x-galaxy-s8-screen-components-money-revenue-display
zdnet.com/article/apple-users-are-dumping-iphones-and-buying-samsung/
google.com/search?q=ipad overheating&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Got my 11" for around a week now but still waiting for a better keyboard to come out, so very incomplete opinion. Using iOS 13 obviously.

>for comics/ebooks/reading news
Damn nice but the last two are unironically more comfy on 4" iPhone.
>shitposting
Again, no keyboard so ... it wasn't super enjoyable.
>revisiting text (one of my main reasons to buy one)
COMFY AS FUCK and the pen makes it feel very natural.
>drawing (another key reason for me)
Fucking fantastic with Sketchbook being free now.
>fucking around with Garageband
Stupidly fun thanks to the keyboard on a large screen.

The file management got a lot better with iOS 13, so I can imagine using it as my laptop replacement even with the current smart folio but also feel that productivity would take a big hit without trackpad. Since there is no other laptop decent fanless laptop, it's not like I have too much choice either way.

Now if there was one … not sure, would probably still pick the iPad due the options the pen gives it and just how ridiculously portable it is. If the pen isn't a relevant factor in your workflow or even for fun activities, it's probably not worth it.

If you are browsing the web, replying to e-mails, reading e-books, watching movies/TV, or playing simple games, then the iPad prevails. There are also apps on the App Store that can add other functionality; for example, Microsoft Word is available for word processing, Luna Fusion is available for video editing, and Photoshop is soon to be ported over. However, the apps on the App Store are going to be less advanced than their desktop counterparts. So, there is some functionality that is going to be missing vs on the desktop. My thoughts is that the iPad is okay for most casual users but power users are going to want something more advanced. Some even use their iPad as a secondary computer.

It's useless trash. Sell it.

super comfy for 95% of your everyday general computing use cases. i've basically stopped using my laptop since getting one

Is an iPad Air still strong enough for basic browsing?

Only if it's running iPadOS.
The ability to run multiple "instances" (read: windows) of the same app is great and in my experience I've never been able to get the iPad Pro to stutter or crash. 4 GB of memory seems kind of skimpy on paper but I've never seen a suspended app reload, so there's that.
However, if you need to do more specialized tasks (video editing, making music, intense photo manipulation, intense 3D animation, software development, etc), I recommend you stick with a laptop.

If you're doing anything you could otherwise do on a Chromebook, iPad is great.

>Damn nice but the last two are unironically more comfy on 4" iPhone.
???
4" is too uncomfortable cramped for most things at this point, I can't imagine reading a book on an iPhone SE.
>shitposting
I find the virtual keyboard suffices but I can see why you wouldn't like it.

Its a neat gimmick,but its 100% not for me.

I love it. Use my Ipad in bed etc. I also have a Surface Pro 6 that I use as my laptop at work.

Screen is ABSOLUTE DOGSHIT, colors look cum soaked, and the display lags like a motherfucker even the """""120Hz""""" one on the iPad pro.

You also can't use expandable storage on them. Overall terrible terrible tablets in general.

Attached: ZomboDroid 15072019180955.jpg (1443x1412, 433K)

I really hope Apple starts porting Xcode, Final Cut and Logic over to iPadOS if they want it to be taken seriously

pic very related (and soon to drop to $200 and then $100 in a few years AT MOST

Attached: 1tb_msd.jpg (720x1112, 275K)

Holy fucking shit dude, you need to give it a rest. It's like you have some kind of alert system set up that allows you to shitpost in any thread that has certain keywords in it

I like my 6th Gen iPad with an Apple Pencil. Most of the time I leave the house I don't need anything more than that

The new one? Easy.

>4" is too uncomfortable cramped for most things at this point
It feels comically cramped when coming from a bigger screen but after a few minutes I get used to it pretty well. Being able to hold it one hand for long periods of time offers angles and ways to read you just don't get on larger devices. Reading on iPad is closer to an average book, which is fine obviously – but I prefer one hand use by far.

LOL imagine writing code on an ipad

What?

Meh, I'd be fine with it.
Hook it up to an external display and connect a Bluetooth keyboard and you're pretty much good to go. You could use the iPad for emulation and the display for writing the code itself.

Forget that, you LITERALLY can't even draw on one. Wasn't that the thing they're mainly shilled for?

Attached: 1517866403039.webm (238x360, 2.91M)

That guy is in every single loosely-iPad-related thread lately, posting that same image over and over and over.
It's kind of impressive, actually.

you can

How can you tell it's the same guy? It's not like spergs posting identical images are that rare on Jow Forums.

1.) When you have to take footage and slow it down that much to notice something as insignificant as this, the argument is invalid. Using it in real time is actually pretty great. It's not like you "LITERALLY can't even draw" with it.
2.) Did I mention latency has been reduced to 9ms with iPadOS?

You can also shit in the street, but you really shouldn't.

Attached: 1549333529710.jpg (643x960, 255K)

Always the same filename and same hash. Different messages attached, but with the same writing style.

Not to ME, but... I think they are the ones who are getting the closest of creating this perfect merge between a tablet and a "real computer", here are some things that would make the iPad more of a computer replacement to me:

>real chrome/firefox/opera/etc... with extension support (most important one)
>real mouse support
>third party apps and an actual third party apps ecosystem
>more programs being ported to it (Adobe Suite, Phraseexpress, qBittorrent, etc...)
>It would be pretty neat if you could install linux distros on it (like you can do now on windows) – yeah, I know this will NEVER happen...

There are more things, but... those are the ones that I could think on it right now.

>>real chrome/firefox/opera/etc... with extension support (most important one)
>>real mouse support
>>third party apps and an actual third party apps ecosystem
>>more programs being ported to it (Adobe Suite, Phraseexpress, qBittorrent, etc...)
>>It would be pretty neat if you could install linux distros on it (like you can do now on windows) – yeah, I know this will NEVER happen...
It's called a Surface.

>MS CEO is a Pajeet
>MS call centers are in Calcutta
>MS headquarters is in Hyderabad
>MS viral marketing Pajeets projecting this hard

mfw

Attached: nadella.jpg (1200x801, 368K)

I had no idea, I just took the image off a thread a couple of days ago. I mean after owning apple products myself I've come to hate them but not enough to rant about them on a daily basis.

It didn't reduce the input latency for me much. Which is exponentially wayy faster on my Tab S5e

Surface is a fucking joke.

youtube.com/watch?v=des3dpKtfIM

Apploo literally employs 20X more street shitters than MS and Google combined.

Attached: 1551261820658.png (709x869, 522K)

Aren't like 1 in 3 aplel engineers shitting in the street on a daily basis? lmao

Attached: 1536099217172.png (828x1418, 166K)

@72659254
Do you even know who took the first street shit at One Infinite Loo to christen the opening of Applel?

Attached: 1543708927049.png (695x1614, 1.06M)

and the SoC on even the highest end Samsung tablets are absolute dogshit. with the top end models barely keeping neck and neck with the friggen value model iPad.

Here come the same stale, overused meme .jpgs again.

Attached: bored computer guy.png (400x400, 10K)

Did anyone even notice the improvement? I tried to get some slowdown back in iOS 12 and just couldn't manage it, speed felt pretty much identical to a real pen, only the feel of drawing on glass is meh-ish.

It sucks at being a tablet though.

Nope, touchjizz is just bloated. They become as fast if not faster than an iPad pro once you disable animations and force gpu rendering.

t. ex-iPad pro user now on a Tab 5Se, AMA

Also, see

I haven't owned a laptop in years because I have a desktop and a tablet.
It's the piece of shit expensive laptops that I don't need, and if you gave me one I'd sell it.

>only the feel of drawing on glass is meh-ish.
You can fix that with a matte screen protector, but fair warning you're going to burn through tips much faster that way.
Paperlike is a meme. They're just like literally any other matte protector but more expensive and pushed by YouTubers.

Seethe harder iJeet

How many street shitting breaks does Applel give you a day iJeet? Qualcomm CPUs even when loaded down with the most bloated android ROMs that Samsung vomits out are years ahead of the steaming shitheaps Applel shits out.

Attached: 1540732826938.png (1280x720, 352K)

that's not what the raw benchmarks say

I'm not seething. I'm just bored. This place has become predictable, and unpredictibility is one of the things that originally attracted me to Jow Forums in the first place.

>It's like you have some kind of alert system set up that allows you to shitpost in any thread that has certain keywords in it
Maybe that's how all the LINK shills do it.

The problem is that the Surface sucks if you wanna use it primarily as a tablet, the Surface is more like a laptop with a touch screen and a pen than an "actual tablet". The cold hard truth is that Apple just nailed on the interface when it comes down to tablets, and Microsoft didn't.

Actually, not even companies that make Android tablets, such as Samsung and Google itself, were able to nailed it. Every other tablet, whether it runs windows or android, it's just seems junky and unpolished, it has this giant smartphone interface or a laptop/PC interface..

>year-old phone
>right next to a brand-new one
wow, the new one is faster? what a surprise! who would've thought?

I didn't desu, the screen's insanely high response time still makes drawing an uncomfortable experience at best.

That's not what my real world experience using BOTH devices objectively showed me. Problem is Samsung likes really fancy animations for some reason so everytime you want to open an app or do anything on the screen you have to wait for a ~1 second animation to happen. Disabling that in developer settings and forcing GPU rendering means only the GPU is used to draw the bare minimum 2D animations possible as fast as possible.

This overall made my tab S5e feel faster than my iPad pro desu.

Did the Tab S4 autist show up yet?

Too late, there he is!

He's probably asleep having nightmares about going outside to see only clinically braindead macfags in webm related litter the street asking him about the "wifi cable" and what a micro sd card is.

Attached: 1557000632293.webm (955x533, 2.08M)

Nope I'm a 5Se owner, which is actually slower than the Tab S4 but faster (imho) than the iPad pro when you disable animations and force GOU rendering.

>GPU rendering*

That's not really technically possible. The Samsung tablet is like 3 generations behind A12X.

Won't they all fuck with the colours though?

>I didn't desu, the screen's insanely high response time
The what? I haven't tried to draw anything serious yet mostly just latency and performance tests, and no matter how I tried to push the thing (TONS of circles and lines on a 64MP canvas, there were zero issues with refresh or slow downs.

>This overall made my tab S5e feel faster than my iPad pro desu.
Not the same as performance though. iOS animations are pretty slow sure but when it comes to actual performance it's not really a contest.

>Won't they all fuck with the colours though?
Not really, no. All they do is reduce glare. You might get a slight haze but it's not really noticeable.

Street shit harder iJeet.

Nope, snapdragons have always been faster than Apple chips for a while now but mainly in multi-core. The A12X IS faster for some single threaded tasks but most apps these days can efficiently use more than 2 CPU threads efficiently.

Then congrats you're visually impaired because I could immediately tell how exponentially less latency I had when going from an iPad pro to a $350 Tab S5e.

Real world performance showed me otherwise. Have YOU owned both an iPad pro and a Tab S tablet?

holy shit

Except the samsung one is filled to the brim with shitty fancy UI animations and global GPU rendering is disabled by default.

iPads are weird in that they're useful at two completely separate ends of the market, super casual and specialty professional, and not very useful in between. People have already talked about the casual end, and as for the professional end they're extremely effective in any niche where you need to walk around with a device and operate it while standing up, or ones where you need to mount it on something and use it one-handed. You see them all over the place in the medical field and they're becoming commonplace for stuff like taking orders and payments in restaurants. They're also ubiquitous in aviation, they've replaced whole bags full of books, charts (maps), checklists, and tools and you're hard pressed to find a cockpit without at least one iPad mount in anything but a basic training airplane these days.

Guess it's worth a try. #rip tips

>snapdragons have always been faster than Apple chips for a while now
We ain't in 2009 anymore.
>I could immediately tell how exponentially less latency
Imagination can play funny tricks on us. It happens.
>Real world performance showed me otherwise.
Yet you talk about animations. Real world performance would start at opening large files, converting the stuff and so on. Or well, the drawing thing. Did a similar test on every other tablet and 2 in 1 I used, and they couldn't keep up.
>Have YOU owned both an iPad pro and a Tab S tablet?
Not at the same time since I don't hoard devices. Got a few older Notes and Galaxy Tab S4 for contract extensions, gave the stuff away to poorfag boomer friends after days or weeks. Though mostly because of Android and performance, the screens were damn fine.

They are pretty common in construction for engineers too.

Strange, they've actually been banned from my local flight school because they kept overheating and locking up for ~5% more than once per flight. Scary to be up there with 5 minutes of no way of knowing where you are exactly (ie could fly into restricted airspace by accident).

>~5 minutes

How much does Samsung pay you to shitpost on Jow Forums?

I did the marketing campaign for Samsung and we were always using iMacs to fake what the tab can actually do. I hope I’m not paid less than you.

>we were always using iMacs to fake what the tab can actually do
This legitimately sounds like something Samsung would do.

It's a weird cuckoldry relationship between samsung and apple. example

theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/2/16404430/samsung-iphone-x-galaxy-s8-screen-components-money-revenue-display

zdnet.com/article/apple-users-are-dumping-iphones-and-buying-samsung/

One needs to exist so that the other can flourish.

Now where is the rule 32 stuff. Sounds like it could have some potential.

Just look at that comically large margin between the icons.
Don't you think such a large screen would fit more than 5x5 icons?
I know the next release of iOS on iPads will allow you to go 6x5, but that's still pathetic.

That's strange, overheating is definitely a concern but it's something that's generally pretty rare and usually avoidable, never heard of it happening that frequently. Were people using them handheld and leaving them on top of the glareshield or something? Also, you're not supposed to use them as your primary navigation tool, even if it goes down for a few minutes you shouldn't find yourself lost.

The fuck would you need more for? I got 9 together with a folder for all the stuff not needed 90% of the time and the is still space for twice as many with today's view or however they call the homescreen thing.

Though I just ran into another thing that makes it a pain as laptop replacement.
>take screen
>it's 15mb
>you can't convert right in the save/share menu nor with Photos.

TIME TO TRY SHORTCUTS.

Well, this took some effort and time but also felt weirdly satisfying.

Attached: IMG_0024.jpg (2388x1668, 226K)

>lagPads overheating
>rare
Ask me how I know you shit in the street.
google.com/search?q=ipad overheating&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

Meh, try one had shit quality. Now tho!

Attached: Clipboard 9. Sep 2019 at 07.12.jpg (2388x1668, 610K)

Only things I find I "can't" do are edit video and work with spreadsheets. Though I stick with what's freely available so maybe there's a paid-app video editor that can do better than putting your weekend clips together for your instagram.

Games, email, web, taking care of nearly every step of my eBay sales except printing shipping labels. And I can do it all laying on my back in bed. The need to sit at the desktop machine is minimal.

One thing I do do that I'm sure faggots will snicker at is when I'm loafing around at home with the iPad, I'll have two with me. The second one will be playing YouTube while I do stuff on the first.

Attached: 66175152_488048158614500_6265742221887349640_n.jpg (724x724, 123K)

IMO, laptops do everything that tablets do and more. Laptops allow you far more freedom and room to do shit with both hard and software, while still being portable. I can see why artists might go for one, but honestly, outside of that, they always seemed like kind of a gimmick to me; their appeal has come from the fact that they feel nice to use.

Reading mango in bed/on the shitter isn't really all that great with a laptop.

>That's not what my real world experience using BOTH devices objectively showed me
Your mentally ill "real world" experience doesn't count retard. A fucking schizo telling people their experience counts is laughable

Isn’t LumaFusion the to go app for that or is it lacking for your needs?

> The second one will be playing YouTube while I do stuff on the first.
Yikes!

Not him but desu I prefer it on a laptop, since you don’t have to hold anything. Though reading manga on the iPsd gives the same feels I had when manga was on paper.

> Do you think an iPad is a useful piece of tech?
No. Laptops can do everything an iPad can do. Of course some things are comfier on a tablet, but I don't draw, and I read ebooks on my e-reader. Your mileage may vary. Besides iOS is much more closed down than macOS or Windows. You can't install Xcode or Visual Studio on it. Or have a Terminal. So for me they're just consumption devices and I don't want to spend that much money on a consumption device when my MacBook does the work fine. I also have a Surface Pro 6 and I almost don't use it undocked from the keyboard. Keyboard+trackpad is vastly superior to touch as an input method for big screens with complex OSes and applications.

Attached: 1555504721183.jpg (989x955, 177K)