YOU'RE A BIG PMP Edition:

YOU'RE A BIG PMP Edition:
This thread is for the discussion of portable mp3/FLAC/OGG Vorbis players.
>inb4 phone
>inb4 streaming
Useful Guide(s)
• The General /pmp/ Guide pastebin.com/fe2LFFdV
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery web.archive.org/web/20170708033500/http://nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/ Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
• Please keep taking nice pics of your /pmp/'s so that they can be used as OP pics

• Archived Threads : rbt.asia/g/search/subject/pmp/

Attached: 1567486754088.jpg (747x1000, 192K)

Other urls found in this thread:

subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2644588.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I can see some hipster faggot wearing this on public transit.

You mean a nigger blasting it from his hip pocket?

Attached: 5cd388bc0a812b369fa43451097b2aba.jpg (1112x1112, 214K)

>still can't find any parts to fix my zune's jack
i'm dying here lads. Should I actually spend $30 on a broken one just for the jack?

Attached: 32ki78.jpg (1657x1369, 830K)

I would. You get a unit's worth of extra parts along with it.

There are a bunch of those on ebay. Is somebody here going to try to mod extra storage into one?

What headphones are in that picture? They look familiar.

koss porta pro

My music library is quite large, to the order of around 10TB. I know I can't hope to carry it all around, but is there any reasonable way to have at least 1TB of portable music? Thanks.

iPod with an iflash quad micro sdxc or iflash msata.

Attached: ipoddiskassembly.jpg (1500x1125, 242K)

>10TB library
>Probably only listens to a couple dozen songs on a daily basis

Just use Spotify like everyone else. Only your fault for not having unlimited data if you even remotely work in IT.

Or is it because you listen to chinese cartoon soundtracks?

>like everyone else
pmp thread fuck off.

fiio m11 specs: "Theoretically 4TB (dual micro SD card slot)". ofc 2TB micro SD don't exist, but for around $450 you can buy a single 1TB micro SD

your in meme audio territory

Attached: 1228277.jpg (2560x832, 1.17M)

I don't have that kind of money.

why even ask then?

Attached: test.webm (540x304, 253K)

In the hopes that there could be cheaper options. It doesn't need to be high performance or super small form factor.

Serious question, why not get a cheap phone with no sim card just for music? Especially the one with replaceable battery for longer play time?

A 1TB card is over $400 as it is.

subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

the cheapest way to have access to a large storage is streaming. you will pay more for data unless you always on wifi. you could still keep your top 20 - 50 songs on your phone when you don't want to eat up your data. oh and you have to be willing to set it up too.

Because this is Jow Forums and people LARP as hackers who need to avoid government surveillance at all costs because the chink server that gathers telemetry from cell phones is totally going to send a hit squad after you over your taste in music

>tfw the iphone is basically an ipod with cellular service

As this user said
The iFlash Quad can reach 1TB with 256GB cards. Or you can max it out at 2TB using 512GB cards. Way cheaper.

if you just want an cheap mp3 player buy a cheap mp3 player. AGPTEK A02 is only $25, you will have to spend more on a micro sd tho. don't know about build quality, maybe ask on /csg/

you can also get a sandisk mp3 player for around $30, again you have to buy microSD separately. it only plays mp3, aac, or wma's tho.

Attached: SMP3DB-4.jpg (1000x1000, 70K)

How are you celebrating 9/9, /pmp/?

Attached: IMG_20190909_092759.jpg (2560x1920, 2.08M)

Does anyone know shit about replacing the screens on sandisk sansa e260s? I have rockboxed a sansa e260 and rockbox is amazing but the screen got fucked up and I have other dead e260s with good screens, I just have no idea how to remove these screens without FUBARing them.

By wondering if I should get the fiio m3k. I don't know how I feel about lag.

Wait until the Rockbox port goes official.

Yeah, but that point prices might change. It's also not a given when it'll happen.

Does the NW-A45 actually hit anywhere near the advertised 39-45 hour battery life? And does it support album shuffle?

Attached: 1551023048364.jpg (1000x887, 40K)

Anything competent with bluetooth and aptx? I'm too rich to use cables.

Attached: 9788.jpg (540x492, 29K)

Why not just use a smartphone?

not if you're using FLAC and/or HR audio, 15h is more realistic. don't know aboult album shuffle, never tried to do that and i don't have it on my right now.

I have Subsonic installed on my homeserver, can absolutely recommend. It just watches the directory where I keep all my media (music & video in any given format) and serves it to me wherever I am, regardless of the device I'm using, as long as I have some kind of internet connection. You can set it to transcode your FLACs to sensible bitrate MP3/ogg/whatever if you so wish to keep the data transfer reasonable
Of course I also have the meme Clip+ and iPod 5.5G with iFlash and Rockbox, but Subsonic can be useful too in some circumstances.

Cayin n3

I have one; the build quality is pretty shoddy (it has that crappy 'soft touch' material that's bound to melt in a couple years and the screen scratches just by setting it down face-down on a desk), but if you want something that you can chuck around and supports lossless audio it's a pretty good buy.

This X3 of mine worked fine for the last few years, mostly as a car stereo source, however battery seems to lose it's juice noticeably faster than when it was new. I also found out chinks made X3II update of it with a bigger screen and whatnot. Wonder if it is worth upgrading to a newer /pmp/ or not

Attached: 1563607627235.jpg (1620x2160, 1.19M)

iPod Classic still the king

this is the most useless device and I still want one

Attached: 1564512627134.jpg (1080x1350, 73K)

Looks like a cool dude, I bet he blasts some good tunes

Did anybody use a PSP as an mp3 player back in the day? I remember reading that it had good audio quality, but it was just too big compared to an ipod.

Attached: 604286fa7e9ce72aa3afc1285b08974a.jpg (1280x720, 109K)

yes

its £4. just buy one

Do you still need to run a fat sorter to have your directories play in order on these pieces of shit lol

pic not related, I was just bumping the thread

Hey, these are pretty nice

Attached: 1568054877205.jpg (2421x1816, 2.4M)

Kyon is upset, he can´t understand why people keep posting "just use your phone"

Attached: nosumafo.jpg (4032x3024, 1.62M)

What is this?

Shanling m0.
Very good little dap.

that's too small to have a proper ui and usability

Well then I'm sorry I'm able to use it daily.

Yeah what IEMs are those?

>having screens in your personal music player
Disgusting. Do you "see" your music or something?
>>>>>>>b-but I want v-ideos too a-user-.......
Not an argument. Music players are for listening to audio, and DVD players are for watching movies and shows.

Tanchjim Oxygen

the lag can be annoying if youre flipping through songs fast. it's just fine if you stop and listen to music / podcasts. the rockbox port so far isnt Bad, but it doesnt have that same battery hold that stock FW currently has, alongside some various bugs and no access to the root .rockbox yet.

It was great, i just downloaded too much music for my memory cards and it wasn't worth switching out cards

Not having a screen is only good for Shuffle with less than 300 songs..

Attached: too many tunes.webm (320x180, 2.4M)

Seriously what’s the best UI for 300+ songs?

>“PMP”
it’s called an mp3 player

personally i've liked rockbox on ipod video, as well as m3k now. it's been the snappiest by far for simpler pmps.
>portable media player

How badly does rockbox affect battery life?

>tldr it doesnt do bad drain but still slightly off
I haven't done thorough tests because any battery options don't exist on the early rockbox on the m3k but it's not Terrible, by any means, but i think it does cut it down a slight bit, especially if the screen's on. you can t leave the player in a state of idle like with the original FW.

>having to look at the screen to navigate

Can you, or anyone else, post a webm showing that behaviour?

>there will never be a Rockbox release for the Zune HD
>there will never be lossless audio support
>there will never be a way to expand the storage for the Zune HD

Attached: couch.jpg (540x395, 41K)

quick webm of some player lag. it's not the worst of issues, and it plays the song as soon as i change a track, the covers just take a bit to load, and that is regardless of file size or dimensions of the cover

Attached: m3k album art lag.webm (320x180, 2.51M)

Thank you, that doesn't look as bad as I thought. I guess I'll just buy it on Amazon and see how it goes.

Zune was simply too good for itself. Shame really. I like the zune aesthetic and it’s control scheme.

it's genuinely a decent player especially for price, and when / if rockbox gets more stable as an alternative i'll be switched from stock to that.

One of these days I'm gonna click on and it's actually gonna take me to a chan, and I don't know what I'm gonna do with my life after that

I like it, even the stock fw

Attached: 79D1E847-B8F1-4B74-8A24-EEADC5798E37.jpg (4032x3024, 2.49M)

Stock is pretty nice too, I can't even lie. I just like the custom UI on rockbox but that's not really something i can do at the moment. It's a good player that is almost half Creative Zen for buttons and Ipod Nano (later gens)

Attached: zen.jpg (350x350, 14K)

I am unironically curious if anyone happens to have messed with any of them- are the Cowon PMPs actually good?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-09.png (970x1004, 294K)

Where do you grab your music from mikubro? Been wondering if there’s some larger convenient collection.

if that was in my way for more than 2 seconds i would break the shit out of it.

What are the typical filesize and dinensions of your covers?

I don't use MP4s in mine though. . .

I usually check youtube and if like it i go to some random mp3 site lol I download one song at a time if I like it (my-free-mp3s dot com). I dont like to hoard music and never listen to it. For now I have like 20 Miku songs and 1600 songs on the player total

Attached: 65461671-34AC-4425-920F-501E4AFC3E0C.jpg (4032x3024, 1.2M)

MP3s*

You should get an account on jpopsuki

What are you listening to this with? The TiFis?

I have KZ AS06 coming in the mail, but now I'm using the player mostly at home with HD6XX

Looks like hd6xx

I used to use it as one, yes.
I also used to watch anime on it.

Is there such a thing as a good pmp for anime music? Since if even a pmp can affect how good something sounds, what use is the IEM and amp?

Is there any way to upgrade a Zune HD?

Always wanted one but 30 gigs is not enough, I could deal with 64 or more

>30 gigs is not enough, I could deal with 64 or more
120 gigs would be minimum for me. I'm looking at some Android phone rooting and custom rom for minimal music player stuff

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2644588.

They use flash memory, so no. I read the first generation zunes could be upgraded, but only up to around 128gb because of the OS which is based on Windows CE.

Using a black Zune. Interface with Ubuntu to transfer music into and out of it using libmtp.

Attached: Zune.jpg (500x499, 20K)

And then Jamal would break the shit out of your pasty ass.

Please find me these German folksongs of my childhood on spotify. Especially Muss i Denn. Lili Marleen (in german)? I listen to Schawarzbraun ist die Hasselnuss sometimes (inb4 nazi music when these are swiss and south german songs of the 19th century). Historical songs? Half of classical music? Even 60s authors?

Oh wait, there isnt. Only on Youtube and on my dearest hard drive.

What about Indie songs of the 90s? Also I lived plenty of years in LatinAmerica and out of all songs I heard from there, lots of famous ones are not on Spotify, forget about the not so famous. Basically, if no one can profit for it, or they died a century ago, or of anonymous authors, or forgot they made it, guess what, not there.

And out of the 'dozen songs' I listen six cycle through one of these cause of sentimental reasons or grew into it. And of course, i listen to more than a dozen.

Is Bluetooth still a meme?

It's useful to me when I'm mowing lawns or driving a loud vehicle. The question would matter more in the audiophile thread though.

LDAC and AptX-HD are good enough to be transparent even on some pretty high end headphones.

Nope. LDAC is pretty fantastic, and you'd have to try real hard to come up with an excuse not to use it of your headphone has no 3.5mm jack

the fuck is this rockbox thing and why do you guys keep trying to make everybody put it on their devices?

DAPs are better at being DAPs than phones are

>the fuck is this gentoo thing and why do you guys keep trying to make everybody put it on their devices?

abort yourself immediately

Nope its fantastic.

Friendly reminder Watches are /pmp/ too !

Attached: IMG_7303.jpg (3264x2448, 3.89M)

I just use my phone. I find the BlackPlayer app quite sufficient. My phone has a headphone port but the DAC blows so I use a Bluetooth 5 receiver with LDAC (EarStudio ES100) and it sounds great. And when using an external DAC or Bluetooth the player or phone don't really make any difference unless they're applying a filter, which mine normally isn't. It decodes the file and pipes the raw PCM into a Qualcomm Bluetooth chip.