/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to non-technically assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, sneed minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks
>I9 9900K king of gaming

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>GTX 1660TI / Vega56 - higher fps / more demanding games; only worth it on sale as normal cost is overpriced
>RX 5700 - higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - standard, 70-100FPS+ gaming
>RX 5700XT - high FPS
>RTX 2070Super - higher FPS with the ability for ray tracing
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070Super - budget option.
>2080Ti - best for 4K or 144hz 1440p, but poor value

>RX 570/580 stock is becoming limited as RX 5600 launch approaches

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

more rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous thread

Attached: op.jpg (582x390, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ultrabookreview.com/21082-asus-vivobook-x570zd-review/
nl.hardware.info/product/481099/lenovo-ideapad-330-15ich-81fk003xmh#specificaties
amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-9-1
ebay.com/p/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-965m-Graphics-GPU-Card-N16e-gr-4gb-Mxm3-0a-Half-Size-for-8570/2196534114
item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.61.12fb45f6byV77U&id=581805409959&ns=1&abbucket=18#detail
item.jd.com/55394854201.html
youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE
amazon.com/Acer-Predator-X27-bmiphzx-Monitor/dp/B07CWDBL39
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

Posting here because new thread and no laptop advice general

Was thinking about this asus
ultrabookreview.com/21082-asus-vivobook-x570zd-review/

But I found it rather expensive.

But now today there’s a daily deal for the following Lenovo
nl.hardware.info/product/481099/lenovo-ideapad-330-15ich-81fk003xmh#specificaties

I think the differences are this has 128gb ssd (and 1tb HDD) while the asus has 256gb SSD
And / or Intel core i5 instead of an amd Ryzen 5

Any pointers here? Will use it for low intensity gaming (wow classic) and some basic video editing through adobe premiere. Budget is 700€ max

Wayyy too many problems with my Asrock b450m pro4f. I don't want to go to warranty for the third fucking time. What's a nice AMD mobo for less than 100 bucks guys?
e: sorry for re

Is getting a Red Devil 5700 overkill? I know you need the extra fans for the XT because it runs so hot but so I really need to worry about the temps for the 5700 to that extent?

Mechanical laptop drives are just painful to use these days and neither of those look like they have enough ssd storage to do both games and video editing.
Also the 2500U is the slower CPU but eats less than half the power the 8300H does if battery life is a concern.

tl;dr:
What AMD hardware is gonna be good for 240hz@1080p?

Longer reading:
I don't really care about detail or memetracing so >gaymes can look pretty ghetto as long as it's stable 240.
Please don't go overkill, since I want to just get a *STABLE* 240hz, I don't need meme tier builds with an overblown budget (I do know it's kinda retarded stating that since I want 240hz but then again, why bother overpaying if you don't need to surpass a goal anyway?)
I've been thinking about zen2 (3900x perhaps) and for the GPU probably a VII or a 5700 but I don't really know which one hence the question.
I don't want jewvidia or jewtel so don't bother with memes.
And yes, I do know you need fast RAM but I will pick that accordingly to the recommended CPU so we're good on that.
I've already got a freesync 240hz monitor, I just need a PC that will handle it.

Picture unrelated.

Attached: 1562361703188.png (710x1024, 326K)

Any very low power passively cooled GPUs for running the local display on a server without an igpu? Do those AMD cards that completely shut themselves off when the monitor is off/detached actually work as advertised?

the cheapest one you can buy will usually fill that criteria. If not, then the second cheapest will.

The cheapest and second cheapest I have available both have fans and do not go to sleep if the monitor is off so no so much...

you might want to get an Nvidia card
>Stutter may be experienced when Radeon FreeSync is enabled on 240hz refresh displays with Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.
amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-9-1

Strange.
These are the cheapest on a local shop where I am. You could try one of them. All passively cooled.

MSI/Palit GT 710
A Sapphire R5 230
And an MSI GT 1030

That last one is quite expensive, so I wouldn't bother.

>and do not go to sleep if the monitor is off
?

>nuke my ubuntu partition
>try to install win 7 on it so i can test the GPUs
>turns out i downloaded and install win 10 pro
kill me

how can you be this dumb?

Have they resolved the freesync flickering issue with a lot of monitors?

I've only now caught wind about it, and I have a freesync monitor waiting in my closet until my other parts arrive here.

how can you mix em up?
doesnt w10 have a different installation gui?
unless you did a headless one, but then that's just retarded

Attached: 1507641555448.jpg (161x131, 5K)

i was working automatically without paying attention
at least i got win 10 pro now for later use

microsoft has your data now

>now

>sleep if the monitor is off
It's a feature I know some AMD cards have where they shut all the way off and draw no power when the detect the monitor is turned off.

That's just a driver thing, right?
Thanks for the heads-up though.

Gtx 965m ebay.com/p/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-965m-Graphics-GPU-Card-N16e-gr-4gb-Mxm3-0a-Half-Size-for-8570/2196534114

For Hp Elitebook 8570w with Quadro K1000M. Good idea?

So how long do we wait faggot?
Until the next mining apocalypse or w/e, so the prices can go up even higher?
Thinking that GPUs are gonna go down in price is just delusional at this point.

Is 750W overkill for a 3700x and big navi?

>amd card can't into freesync even though this is what they're designed for
th-thanks amd

3600+3600-3800mhz manually tuned ram +5700XT
But 9900K+2080ti+4000MHz + ram would be faster tho

yes
550 is good
650 gives more breathing room for future upgrades

Budget: around 7000 RMB
Part list:

item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.61.12fb45f6byV77U&id=581805409959&ns=1&abbucket=18#detail

metalfish s3 case
mini itx B450 motherboard or similar
R5 3600
item.jd.com/55394854201.html
dual fan mini 2060 super - anywhere I can get this cheaper in China?

I'm going to use it for machine learning

Some would say yes in paranoid so I would say no. And going lower isn't even cost effective atleast in eu. So literally no point buying lower watts.

how about wait for 5600/5800/5900 or whatever comes next by Q1 2020?
there's never a perfect time to buy every pc part at once - right now buying a CPU and RAM is a pretty good deal, while buying a GPU is simply suboptimal, l2deal

What's the best size of CPU puller wrench?

>there's never a perfect time to buy every pc part at once
Tfw need to upgrade literally every part next upgrade at the same time including monitor
Tfw it's hell because of this
Reason I'm waiting forever

Same where I am. We are talking less than 10 buck saving.

Is there any downside of having more watts even if I don't use them?

I just ordered everything except for GPU because prices and because 5700 XT AiBs in stock never ever
I'll use my old GPU until I get a decent deal, maybe you could do the same?

I read on Jow Forums that PSU are most efficient at 50% output, make of that what you will.

it's maybe technically true, but it's more like 90% efficient at 50% and 88% efficient at 80% with a huge drop at 90% to like 70%

so between 50%-80% there's like no difference and you should just buy a 95% efficient PSU and run it at 80% giving you like 93% instead

Red devil restock today amirite?

Attached: 1529058262728.jpg (600x764, 41K)

let me expand on that, I mean if your actual power draw is 500 watts from the socket you are best off buying the most efficient 600 watt PSU

since the 750 watt PSU that's the same efficiency will be more expensive

i get that, it's just that right now it seems that the difference between a 600W and 700W PSU is negligible, while the difference between an 80+ bronze and 80+ gold isn't

so you again tomorrow

>90% efficient at 50% and 88% efficient at 80% with a huge drop at 90% to like 70%

What are you talking about? Average PSU will be within a few percentages after it reaches peak efficiency up to it's maximum wattage and beyond. Here is the typical efficiency curve of a PSU.

>95% efficient PSU and run it at 80% giving you like 93% instead

The fuck does this even mean?
>just buy a titanium PSU bro

Attached: eff.jpg (600x355, 47K)

good 3600 mobo under 100?

just bet on the silicon lottery bro
unironically

Like chart here shows Psus already are efficient as fuck across the entire range so no
Only bonus u get buying a higher watt if it's semi passive is that the fan will turn on less often during load or even at all if u buy a large enough one

It won't make a difference at all, just get whatever satisfies your OCD. Any gold PSU you can buy will reach between 2% of their peak efficiency from around 150W all the way to it's maximum.

>ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.
absolutely based

the new threadrippers have like 250 tdp, compared to the supposed 100 tdp of the 3950x

how much would I realistically notice an extra 100w of heat in a room?

depends on the PSU, just buy a good one not necessarily the biggest one

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9EL0QvMjg0MzA1L29yaWdpbmFsL2hpZ2hlbmQtcGMucG5n.png (450x379, 56K)

Just buy Nvidia you dumb man children. They have plenty of stock

anyone know good motherboards with a removable BIOS? I don't care about chipset or size right now, I'll decide what I want later depending on the CPU (because I haven't chosen one yet) and other stuff. Speaking of the CPU, anyone know anything cheap and fast? anything faster than an i7 8th gen is good enough for me.

Get a hammer

>just buy it

>removable BIOS
for what purpose would you desire such a thing

so I can more easily flash it

Viewsonic XG2401 vs APC G2590FX?
I need the 144hz, I don't mind TN. I'm a third worlder, importing and exporting hurts the wallet so I want whichever is most reliable (so that I won't have to return it). Any suggestions on which I should go with?

retard

yeah because nobody wants to buy their overpriced cards

Attached: super-rtx-lineup.jpg (750x316, 78K)

is a Ryzen 5 2600 going to bottleneck an RTX 2060?

no way

yes
wait™ for the 3950X at least

please help out a literal boomer by answering some questions. I'm looking to replace my
>Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ Stock clocks under stock cooler.
>4x2GB of DDR2-800MHz
>BFG 8800GTX Ultra
>Single 320GB 5,400RPM hard drive
>1280x720p LCD monitor

Are SSDs considered a mature technology now? As in I can rely on them for everyday use? Or are 10k WD Raptors or 15k Seagate Cheetah SAS drives still the best drives for performance?

Is Intel still leading the pack in regards of performance? As I mentioned I'm just a boomer looking to play the new DOOM coming out and some other older games I missed out on playing. I don't do any sort of major editing or productivity work.

I'm looking to get a PC solely for gaming that will last me a long while and won't require overclocking, undervolting, BIOS flashing, etc just to perform. I work enough as it is to have to deal with an unstable system.

Attached: 1509298341006.jpg (960x956, 150K)

depends on the game, there are always cpu bottleneck games like dwarf fortress or something

but for the most part, the games that are cpu bottlenecked you will have good enough performance on anyways

depends a lot on the resolution too. if you're gaming at 800x600 you're going to be cpu bottlenecked a lot. at 8k not as often.

tdp doesnt exactly translate to heat 1:1 so dont expect to get a perfect 100W increase

to answer this:
depends largely on the quality of your cooling solution
also whether or not youre going to run it oc'd at 100% usage like a fucking madman

consider this:
if you set up your cooler well (you didn't install it like a mongoloid losing most of it's cooling ability did you?) that's fairly efficient and you use the cpu like a human being you probably will feel it only when it heats up, otherwise it's probably neglible

on the other hand, if you have a shit cooler and you set it up like a retard and you run it hot it's probably gonna burn out quick so great job retard, buy a new cpu soon

and lastly, if you have a great cooler and you run it at 90 deg centigrade then you got yourself an electric heater, great if you live in a fridge

>depends largely on the quality of your cooling solution
Does it? Heat stays in the room the same way even if a cooler moves it more quickly away from the CPU.

SSDs are great now. yes they are mature. build a 3600 or 9400f machine.

>9400f
oh no no nooooooooooooooooooooo

How's the MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT mech?

Attached: thermodynamics.jpg (450x648, 33K)

boomer-user here. What's wrong with the 9400f? I'm going to be operating on Microcenter pricing and they have the 9400f for $130 vs $200 for the AMD 3600.

So you agree with what I just said, because it's a fundamental law of thermodynamics.

it's basically a meme processor. get the 3600. not only is it a much faster part, it's much more performance per dollar and is built on a much better platform. runs cooler, gives a better upgrade path because of the am4 socket, and gives you a ton of flexibility and performance.

>Are SSDs considered a mature technology now?
Yes
>As in I can rely on them for everyday use?
Yes
>Or are 10k WD Raptors or 15k Seagate Cheetah SAS drives still the best drives for performance?
No
>Is Intel still leading the pack in regards of performance?
No
>no BIOS flashing
It's extremely easy: youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE but if you insist, make sure you get an X570 because only those support Zen 2 out of the box.
>Microcenter
Actually they will probably flash the BIOS for you (or so I've heard)
Personally, I got an X570 Steel Legend WiFi ax and stuck ECC RAM in it so memory issues are a thing of the past. I don't know why everybody doesn't do this. RAM timings mean absolutely fuck all.

I hope you only use your PC for internet browsing, youtube and document work because gaming, content creation, or any cpu intensive activity will fucking crash the 9400f and brick your motherboard.

>This AMD shill fud

I have a $2500 budget I'm willing to spend on a new build and monitor. If it can REALLY be justified, I'm willing to spend $3000. However it would have to really be worth the money. My big thing is a monitor. This current one has horrible backlight bleed and gives me a headache/eye ache when I use it too much. Also there's something now called "adaptive-sync"? It's like V-sync I suppose?

Also I forgot to ask, am I supposed to buy AMD or Nvidia?

are you a fucking plant?
do you really think that all it takes is stick any kind of rad+fan on a warm surface and it's going to perfectly cool itself
think hard
god i wish this board was sci

Is it worth it to buy a Tomahawk Max or should I buy an A-Pro Max for 25 euros less? To use with a 3600

That user asked about the effect of the heat on the entire room. I suggest you re-do primary school.

>will fucking crash the 9400f and brick your motherboard.
I may not be on the up and up with current hardware. But I highly doubt this is a thing.
thanks for the info user. In regards to BIOS flashing, I was talking more about the GPU for unlocking voltage and turning off thermal thresholds etc. I don't think this is a thing really any more.
>ECC RAM/timings
From what I'm reading, timings actively give AMD's new hardware performance boosts no?

at that budget you should be looking at the 3700x or the 9700k. they both have advantages and disadvantages. the 3700x is overall a better processor, but the 9700k will give slightly better fps in games.

>AMD or Nvidia
basically depends on how high you go. at the high end you can only choose nvidia. at the low and "medium" end you have a choice, that will depend largely on what you're trying to do.

nvidia is the safest recommendation, but you pay a premium to use them. we can figure out what exactly you're looking for if you talk about your monitor resolution/hz and also what kind of gaming you want to do.

what problems?

>Have they resolved the freesync flickering issue with a lot of monitors?
not that I know of

>we can figure out what exactly you're looking for if you talk about your monitor resolution/hz and also what kind of gaming you want to do.
Current specs are
>Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ Stock clocks under stock cooler.
>4x2GB of DDR2-800MHz
>BFG 8800GTX Ultra
>Single 320GB 5,400RPM hard drive
>1280x720p LCD monitor
What I'm looking to do
>Game at 1440p (1080p seems to be the older option and 4K is too hardware intensive it seems)
>Ultra settings @ 120fps or more (current monitor is 60HZ, apparently 144HZ is like the standard now)

Solely gaming. Also is "adaptive-sync" worth it?

Attached: Crayonallica.gif (500x333, 427K)

100 + 0 = 100
q. e. b.
ebin energy conservation :----DDDD
intellegens :DD-D

Attached: 1535399875702.jpg (801x577, 53K)

Oh, you're almost there. 100W of heat into a room is 100W. It has nothing to do with how quickly the CPU cooler spreads it. I suggest you post this on /sci/ and get laughed at.

watch a youtube video demonstrating freesync

ultra settings 1440p 120hz is not doable even the best hardware can't reach that

realistically you're probably looking at the 3700x + either the 2070 super, the 2060 super, or the 5700 xt, which is a really common build and sort of the all arounder

adaptive sync is mostly worth it, as a boomer you should have enough money to get it so I'd say you should

well shit so it's basically reverse v-sync. Instead of the monitor capping the GPU to a set HZ/level of performance resulting in input lag or tearing, the monitor goes up and to match the card. That's slick.

Thus far I'm hearing
>adaptive-sync is worth it
>9700k is best gaming CPU/3700X is decent gaming CPU but far better for productivity (worthless to me)
>Nvidia + G-sync is the price premium model but works great (luxury tax)
>AMD + Freesync works similarly but with a few minor issues

This sound about right? My last question are the monitors that I'm seeing that say "freesync/G-sync compatible". I'm assuming this means the monitor's adaptive sync will work with any AMD/Nvidia?

Is there anywhere to get just the 3600 chipset? I wanted to get an aftermarket cooler anyways

>3700x + either the 2070 super, the 2060 super, or the 5700 xt,
Looking it shows AMD has the Radeon VII as their top 7nm card and Nvidia has the 2080Ti as their top consumer GPU. Any reason why you're not recommending those? Price aside of course. Is there something wrong with them? I don't mind spending good cash if it means the performance return is there.

no, AMD includes cpu coolers in all of their consumer products. its free and its a backup cooler.

dont get the radeon VII, its already EOL.
the 2080TI is good, but way overpriced for the additional performance you will get

those cards are bad value and you haven't given the impression that you're chasing a high end build at all. the 2080 ti is the current best gpu but you are wasting a lot of money buying that

>9700k is best gaming CPU/3700X is decent gaming CPU but far better for productivity (worthless to me)
they're nearly identical for gaming, and the 3700x has several other benefits. in a test bench situation where you are only running a game you won't notice the extra multi-threaded performance, but in any real world use you are going to regularly get benefits from the 3700x due to not running a single application only. you also have a much better socket, the ability to upgrade later, and a better overall platform

2080TI would be a choice for people to cheap to get a quadro

What is the max Nvidia card you'd recommend then? Or is the 5700XT good? The monitor I was looking at was $500 and it feels odd to spend more on my monitor than on my graphics card.
> you haven't given the impression that you're chasing a high end build at all
I mentioned ITT that I have a $2500 to $3000 budget. Is this amount not considered high end? Maybe I was talking to a different user, if so I apologize.
>3700X better overall platform
Then I'll definitely have to take a look. I also see the new AMD stuff has PCIe 4.0 standard. That's nifty. It feels odd to say but I might buy AMD this time around as it seems it will age better and if you couldn't tell by my existing Q6600, I keep my hardware for a long while.

>>AMD + Freesync works similarly but with a few minor issues
For instance my monitor has a 48-144hz freesync range and low framerate compensation.
But only has freesync in fullscreen mode and has very noticable flicker any time the the fps goes below 48fps mark, even a single frame being renderded slower than that, causes a noticable flicker.
Or if I alt+tab out in and out of a game a lot it can fuck my monitor settings and set it to 60HZ, and the only fix to that is to restart the computer.
So in certain games I rather have micro tearing in the corner of the screen, than have constant noticable whole screen flickering.

>I mentioned ITT that I have a $2500 to $3000 budget. Is this amount not considered high end?
when you include the monitor this is not really high end these days

>3 grand isnt high end
is SGI making workstations again?

Goodness times have changed damn. OK then. I'll get to building a list then.

if you actually want to just try and max out you are looking at the 9900KS (coming soon), threadripper 3 (coming soon), or the 3950x (coming soon) or the 9900k or 3900x if you're willing to compromise

the 2080 ti

a monitor like this
amazon.com/Acer-Predator-X27-bmiphzx-Monitor/dp/B07CWDBL39

high end ram, motherboards, ssds, etc

it will be pushing $6k or higher