Pinephone64

We all know that Librem 5 is a meme. How about Pinephone? It is more affordable, but outsourcing software development to the community can severely backfire. I expect having a barely functioning laggy phone with basic features, in which you might as well just buy a 20 bucks Nokia dumb brickphone. At least the 20 bucks dumbphone is robust.

Attached: PinePhone_concepture_drawing.jpg (600x750, 51K)

I really wish the big companies with the power to control the market held developers accountable for their garbo software, but that'd imply them not making garbage software themselves.

It's made by the professionals at KDE so I trust it'll be good

>KDE
Konqi Krash!

Attached: konqi-kde-frameworks-kde-plasma-4-computer-software-mascot.jpg (728x831, 119K)

postmarket os actually looks kind of dank.

the problem I have with open hardware is that I'm living lean by buying ex flagships second hand and paying full price for indie budget phones kind of screws me.

The pinephone will ship soon to anyone who wants a phone with no OS preinstalled(mostly for testing purposes)
Later it will come with an os preinstalled.

>The pinephone will ship soon to anyone who wants a phone with no OS preinstalled(mostly for testing purposes)
That's exactly my point. I dont think they'll be able to ship consumer grade product in time because the software development is outsourced to the community

The Bethesda technique, very clever

So the current choices are
1. $750 Librem 5 meme, the first production batch is artisan handmade hardware. Mechanical Design: Individually milled case, loose fit, varying alignment, unfinished switch caps (hand crafted).
2. $150 Pinephone. Maybe the hardware is passable (i.e. not rattling or falling apart like Librem 5) but the software is unproven
3. ???
4. Bootleg postmarket OS on 7 years old phone with no celular data capability

The absolute nation of Gahnoo-slash-Leenox

The pinephone will run anything you can get running on it (including andoroid,lineage and other varieties) till distros start coming out for phones.

That's not the problem. Installing Gentoo on PS3 is possible, doesn't mean it runs well. It doesn't matter how many distros you can install on the thing, what matters is how well one particular distro can run for end-user product

Both of these phones cater to people who want to develop shit for a linux phone.
The Librem 5 is all about the RYF certification and the Pinephone is about being cheap.
Nobody is going to use these as a daily driver any time soon.

It seems to have good enough specs to run android. (My shit tier phone with 1.3 gigs of ram runs android fine)

The example is bad.
The ps3 is absolutely good at running linux. The problem is that under normal circumstances you can only do that through a hypervisor.

>but the software is unproven
that's why they'll ship developer units first, so devs can work on the OS and apps before the final units become available for everyone

You don't understand.
>The purpose of the PinePhone isn’t only to deliver a functioning Linux phone to end-users, but also to actively create a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects, as well as other FOSS OS’, are represented on the PinePhone and developers work together on our platform to bring support this this community driven device.

It's a chicken and egg problem.
Nobody creates a linux phone because you'd need to create all the software.
Nobody creates software because there is no linux phone.

The pinephone is basically a dev kit. I would buy a $150 devkit even if it's laggy. I wouldn't buy a $750 devkit.

Both of these, especially the Librem 5, should not depend on shit hardware or software. It's one thing to trade a little performance for freedom and that's okay, but this is a huge amount! For instance I can't get over the fact the Librem 5 has 802.11n. That's unacceptable entirely at this time. There should be AC at minimum and preferably AX, not an antiquated version. I'm sure they said " but there isn't hardware open enough" and THAT would be their first place. Before making a phone, make the modern hardware required and fund that. Likewise, on the software side it has to seamlessly run Android apps . It's useless as a modern phone if it can't and instead is just a tiny Linux handheld like so many that came before. They should have raised money first for an open VM that seamlessly runs the most modern of Android apps and when that was ready, then consider building a phone.

The whole thing is unfortunate, charging so much for such a weak device. Pinephone may be better on price but I am still concerned of how well it will work.

They're not a hardware manufacturer, idiot. This is like asking Acer to make a CPU.
>charging so much for such a weak device.
You don't need more on a fucking phone. If you want a powerful and portable device buy a laptop. "High performance" phones are all shit. I'm still using a galaxy s5 as a main device and it has no issues at all. I can't see a difference between it or the S8 my mother has other than the fact that her phone is bloated as fuck.
Phone hardware got powerful enough 5 years ago.

The Librem 5 is a meme, but other products like Librem 15, and 13, are memes if you don't touch it (leaving pureos installed by default).
Librem laptops have the following benefits:
* Good specs
* Qubes OS support
* corebootable with almost all of intel ME removed (the part that can't be removed doesn't even pose a risk, i can't name what it exactly is, but it doesn't matter)
* Upgradeable
* Quite the good price
* Hardware kill-switches

Pine64 is a hardware manufacturer. They sell single board computer as their claim to fame

They're just an assembler. All the components they glue together are made by different companies and they just design the main board connecting them.

They designed a PCB not a fucking CPU.

Ubuntu Mobile and SailfishOS are already done and both run on the Pinephone.

You know this is a shill thread right?
Fucking morons

How well does it run on it? Nobody knows because any software is hardware specific.

This, having something widely available gives multiple Linux on phone projects the opportunity to get more support. Also it doesn't look laggy with the blob drivers.