How I get into audiophilia?

Been borrowing my mates headphones recently, they're those Samsung AKG earbuds that come with the Samsung S9 headphones. The sound on them is so much better than any other pair of headphones I've ever owned, listening to music is great, I'm hearing sounds I didn't notice before. I realise the audio is probably dogshit quality compared to the headphones audiophiles on here are using and I sound like a retard etc etc. But I want more. What are some good entry level over-ear headphones I can buy for a reasonable price that will make music sound amazing?

Attached: IMG_2202.jpg (640x609, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=77996659219273&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=audio technica ath m50x&qid=1568056611&s=gateway&sr=8-3
youtube.com/watch?v=ZfWwCfN8TO0
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/digital-audio-player-reviews-and-discussions-dap.44/)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Buy stax.

Attached: 1556020561727.png (1366x1080, 1.62M)

HAHAHAHAHAHHA DUDE THE AKG S9 BUDS ARE NOTORIOUSLY AWFUL YOU FUCKING DIPSHIT

Imagine being so lonely and bitter you use caps lock and hysterical laughter to reply to someone who is slightly misinformed about in-ear headphones. Jesus Christ.

Its a rabbit hole where you endlessly chase small differences with placebo equipment.

>I realise the audio is probably dogshit quality compared to the headphones audiophiles on here are using and I sound like a retard etc etc. But I want more.
the guy literally understands his place and lack of expertise and you shit on him to make yourself feel better, you're one toxic incel.

I don't think you're going to like Jow Forums very much, user

Purchase DT990 headphones.

aha this is funny but instead of mocking me how about educating me in why I am so wrong

There is a general for headphones. That said, I think DT 990 is a good entry level for high quality headphones.

Thank you, I looked for the general in the catalog but couldn't find it, my bad.

Don't get into it. It's full of shills who went to justify their purchases to you. Try some headphones at the store then buy online to save money. The akg headphones may be enough for you, so just buy them on eBay. It's a huge point of diminishing returns. I spent hundreds and I'm at the Sony mh750. Sounds good has mic and doesn't need an amp and doesn't sound like shit like chifi treble.
IEM are better anyway.

headphones are shit
buy speakers
top kek

Attached: 1566017632480.jpg (400x400, 30K)

first, you need to have the autism. any kind will do, but it is a prerequisite.

Hey Jow Forums

I have tinnitus

Will I ever make it to /audio/phile?

Attached: DF8Fm7r5UU.png (126x86, 24K)

>How I get into audiophilia?
Be a retired boomer that has money to burn, but doesn't have a substantial hobby or business that could use that money.

Buy a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x. They're one of the best you can get without spending several hundred dollars.

amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=77996659219273&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=audio technica ath m50x&qid=1568056611&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Buy a pair of Koss KSC-75s or KPH-30i for your on/overears, and a pair of Tin T2s for inears. Then, listen to them for a while and figure out what you like best or what you want more from them.
Then, read around online for what fits your taste and budget best.

This.
The next upgrade is the HD 6XX

>I just dont understand why no one likes us audiophiles!

Don't get the Dt990s unless you want your ears to bleed. Their high notes are so over the top your ears will cry in pain over a slightly higher pitched song.

Only for people who have Asperger's Syndrome, autistic people cannot handle high tones. The average person has no problem with them.

So yes, don't get them if you are legitimately (as in clinically defined) on the autism spectrum.

Audio redpills (sorry for the wall of text):
-Cables don't change the sound if the impedance is low enough (basically don't use thin af cables and you are set);
-You probably won't notice a difference between 320kbps MP3 and loseless codes (eg. FLAC), but storage is cheap nowdays and you have the option convert loseless to any format you want, so that's nice to have;
-16 bit 44.1/48 khz is all you need if you are just listening to music and not working with it, anyone that says they can hear a difference between 16 and 24 bits is a lying audio snob;
-Analog audio (Vinyl records) is not better than digital audio (provided sufficient sampling rate, 44.1hz is more than enough, see Nyquist Theorem, also known as sampling theorem). It's cool to listen to vinyl for the experience, but it's not better than a CD;
-Every good DAC should sound the same. Period. Don't trust anyone that says stupid things like "oh yeah this DAC makes everything airy and dynamic ecc.";
-Good AMPs should also sound the same. The exception here is tube AMPs. Again, you listen to those for the experience, because they actually distort your signal and are NOT better at fidelity compares to solid state AMPs;
-Trust mesuraments, not your/someone else's ears, especially when choosing DACs and AMPs;
-The point of diminishing returns hits fast!;
-Don't spend money you don't have;
And most importantly, while it's cool to tinker around with shiny new stuff, you are here to listen to music, not equipment :)
I hope my english wasn't that terrible.

Your english was fine, and that is all sound advice!

>-The point of diminishing returns hits fast!;
>-Don't spend money you don't have;
based wisdom user

Thanks user. I just realized I messed up at "compares" and "is tube AMPs" lol.

Everything is true except
>You probably won't notice a difference between 320kbps MP3 and loseless codes (eg. FLAC)

This is simply not true. I am not much of an audio snob but the difference between 320 kbps and FLAC quality is noticable even for a novice. It's also very easy to test these days with Spotify and Tidal as you can just do a premium Spotify trial or Tidal HiFi trial and see if you notice the difference.

Have you ever done an actual double-blind A/B test to prove it? You may be surprised how audibly transparent 320 and VBR actually are.

Not a blind test (I don't know how or why I would set it up). I had Spotify Premium and did a trial for Tidal HiFi, and played songs back to back on each service. Most tracks sound better on Tidal HiFi which is FLAC quality.

It doesn't bother me to listen to 320 kbps and I don't think it's worth it to pay double for Tidal HiFI compared to Spotify so I still use Spotify, but it's noticeable.

Fair enough

That's why I said probably! Everyone's hearing is different and it gets worse with age. As you said, test for yourself and see what works for your needs. I personally can find very small differences in tracks that i know very well, but really need to focus on things like cymbals to spot them.
So I use flac on my desktop and MP3 320kbps on my phone to save space.

step1: be a boomer

Attached: 1547983131485.jpg (800x600, 174K)

Yeah it's the kind of difference I don't really pay attention to unless I do a direct comparison back to back.

Interesting about hearing as you get older is I thought I would increase volume as my hearing got worse with age, but I've actually gone the other way and can't stand listening to high volumes on headphones anymore. It's actually gotten to the point I much prefer speakers for the same reason.

Where does the point of diminishing returns begin?
What's the least I can spend on a pair of speakers to get decent sound before the next step up in quality isn't worth the price bump?

It depends on what you're looking for and where your budget lies. It is different for everyone, but there comes a point where it's usually a matter of more money will only get you better build quality, and even that has a cutoff depending on what you want.

200-300 and you will have great headphones , after that it turns into a shitshow where audiofools will convince themselves headphones sound better because some Japanese boomer made them with his own hands.

I think the same thing. After ~300 euros you start talking about what's "different" instead of what's technically better.

There is something about that photo that deeply unsettles me.

/thread
Even I learned some things from this post.

i wouldnt buy headphones at all but get basic integrated amplifier and cheap shelf speakers instead.

Always happy to help user. Feel free to ask any question, I'll try my best to answer.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZfWwCfN8TO0
OP, your wallet is in for a world of hurt.

>hmmm it's higher quality so it should sound better
>I am aware that it is higher quality, the number says so
>Wow it sounds better!
If you haven't done a double blind test, you cannot truthfully say that you can hear the difference between FLAC and a 320kbps MP3. Confirmation bias and the placebo effect are both very real things.

>320kbps MP3
meh barely better than when you compress it down 256

Use speakers.

>impressed by a fucking AKG earbuds
Man, imagine if OP bought a 58X + a Fiio Q1 lmao, he'd cum all over his floor.

Attached: 1493742724946.gif (785x719, 552K)

>Buy shit
>Get shit
>Wtf diminishing returns
Kek.

>AKG
AKG doesn't exist anymore, is juts repacked samsung. K701/K702 is their last goodish headphone. If you care about music quality go listen in store to them, just don't let seller to meme you.

What's the sweet spot for dap?
I'd guess 600euro...

yes, the s8 ones were much better.
is this placebo anons?

Unfortunately I don't have any DAPs mesuraments, but if I had to guess anything over 200-250 dollars is not worth it. DAPs are pretty simple devices and there's no reason they should cost 600 dollars or more. Again, you don't need all those snake oil tier features like 24bit 192khz reproduction, you ain't a goddamn bat.
A fool and his money are soon parted, don't fall for the marketing and if you are gonna spend more money do it for features that tangibly matter.

You forgot the ultimate audio red pill: hearing loss due to ageing. By the time you'll get money to spend on expensive audio equipment you most likely will not hear the difference anyway :^)

Woops nvm, audiosciencereview has DAPs reviews, bless Amir's soul (audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/digital-audio-player-reviews-and-discussions-dap.44/)

Unironically true. There's a reason why Grado headphones have idiotic treble but still sell at ridiculous prices.

Understand than anything above 320kbps is pointless to homo sapien ear technology

Mostly a fair post, but
>320kbps MP3
yikes

But amir Had some controversy over his measurements that doesn't match others people one.

I tried 1k dap, mine is 400, I heard improvements.

you won't notice any improvement past 48khz sampling rate for casual listening. Audiophilia is just circlejerking and showing off gear. High sample rates are usually needed if you do sound design, because you get more versatility when tuning down/up and timewarping audio clips when creating sounds. Analog gear usually changes your signal, not necessarily for the better, just like analog photography has some characteristic grain/tone. Just try out some speakers and headphones and get whatever is most pleasant to your ears.
t. mixing and mastering engineer

The one that makes you cry while hearing crisp sounds.

Attached: 8792f0bb03749086e84083bb7d74f4f9f57fae8e46b50fd8da976a5e4a75899e.webm (1280x720, 2.99M)

The SBAF Shiit controversy? Yeah mate, I think I'm gonna belive the guy who worked 35 years in the industry instead of purr1n on that massive circlejerk that is SBAF. Also, I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt about the 1k DAP, but how can you tell that what you heard are "improvements" and not something like coloration? You can't trust your ears for these things.

>eeeeeeeeee

Improvements were very simple.
On my dap the inear prophile 8 had a weird peak in the treble. Sounded harsh.
On the top tier dap, ak sp1000, treble was clean, easy on the ears, still very extended..
That is all :) maybe its just my source that is made wrong.

The absolute best deal in audiophile over-ear open back headphones is the HD 58X Jubilee, which you can get on massdrop for $150. Massdrop is a terrible platform for shipping times and customer service but you can't beat that price. They are selling a headphone with the same damn driver and the same damn enclosure as a well respected $500 headphone, the HD 660 S, but at almost a third of the price.

I can attest to this, sounds great

Get the he-4xx or the sennheiser hd-6xx. If you don't have a portable player, I'd recommend getting a cheap LG phone like the v series or g7 onwards. Their hardware will make whatever you throw at it sound like the second coming of Jesus

>are selling a headphone with the same damn driver and the same damn enclosure as a well respected $500 headphone, the HD 660 S
other way around

What do you mean by that? The HD 660 S is clearly more expensive, right? I don't understand

I mean, compared to whatever he probably came from anything will sound great.

Attached: 1567322946174.png (1024x701, 50K)

He's obviously joking, retards. Jow Forums used to be a high IQ board...

No its impossible to enjoy listening to music with tinnitus.
Why havent you kys yourself?

>Jow Forums used to be a high IQ board
>used
this is precisely why I'm inclined to think this isn't a joke

can I buy this in the UK?

>How do I get into audiophilia
Keep taking vaccines until it comes naturally