/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards
>Great durability (excl L and E series)
>Utilitarian design
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Most models are easy to repair, upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model and spare parts are easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, easier to use when typing
>Good for Hackintoshing

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500
Models before *40 series can be Corebooted

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available for a good price, socketed CPU (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Chink Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, miniDP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: thinkpadt60.png (1600x1200, 758K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Replacing_T430_screen_with_a_better_one
ldlc.com/fiche/PB00267106.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can i change the splash boot image if i'm not corebooted on my t430

Also first for trannies

I don't think that you can.

Is R500 good for 90$?

Can I upgrade this with a graphics card like the 940mx?

Attached: A8D301B8-21A5-4E11-838A-343B896C8FEE.jpg (750x1207, 353K)

Depends on what you are looking for. It's 11 years old and it really starts to show.
You can't.

Sad. Are there any thinkpads that can be upgraded internally? I have the T430.

Attached: 1566074502553.png (550x916, 593K)

Ill ask again

T430 with 8gb ram and i5 3220m cpu good for office tasks and youtube. My wifes current laptop with ild amd 4 core cpu at 1.7ghz sucks ass because of hungry microsoft

is a really high pitch noise normal for the X250 fan? I've already cleaned it and whenever it's on, it gives this unpleasant tinny sound alongside the normal fan noise

yes

Thanks

I don't think upgradable gpus have never been a thing and pretty much any laptop cpus made in the past ~6 years aren't upgradable either. T440 is the last thinkpad to have a upgradable cpu.

X60 motherboard in a X61t body.
Possible or no?
Froggo for your time.

Attached: b18cee10c6456296122275624901edbc--anime-art-anime-manga.jpg (736x920, 79K)

I once had that issue, caused by loose wires.
Are there any wires around the fan or housing that aren't attached properly. Also finally dissassemble the fan housing and fan itself completely and perform a full visual inspection, the kind you would do with a naked girl you're horny for, you'll certainly find it's something touching that fan.

>I once had that issue, caused by loose wires.
No wait, it was the fan-wire tape that was rattling the fan.

yes the directions are in the official BIOS update folder from Lenovo

Is anyone here familiar with the Dell Precision M4800? Are they any good?
I'm looking for a cheap laptop as a second computer and to use while traveling. I was originally thinking about getting a T440p or a W541 but one of my local e-waste recycling places has tons of the Dells after some company upgraded. I can get one for a decent price with 32GB of ram and a 256GB ssd included.

Just posting this again in the newer thread.

Can I just replace the motherboard with one with a GPU then? Is there anywhere reliable to buy those?

wait i change my mind, there used to be a readme.txt that came with the bios update utility download that explained how to change the bios picture, but it's actually in the utility folder after you install the bios update utility (Windows only)
>C:\DRIVERS\FLASH\update utility default name
that folder
then it'll be in BIOS_LOGO.txt

Attached: 6c0cc957e451e91d848d0066ed1c4a39.png (655x792, 43K)

They're very good. I'd say they're actually better than their W540/1 competitors due to having MXM GPUs and better cooling with dual fans.
The keyboard and trackpoint aren't quite thinkpad-tier but still very good for a laptop.

Holy shit bros, just got an ips screen for my x220, I never realized how much nicer javs can look. It's like a whole new world has opened up to me. I have an assignment due tomorrow and I might just end up spending the entire day programming and jerking off.

Attached: 1537057049642.png (299x455, 236K)

>HP Revolve 810
>128 GB mSata SSD
>8 GB of RAM
>11.6" Touch screen
>Core i5
>Best OS
For 250$.

Attached: hp-elitebook-revolve-810-g2-tablet-4-gb-ram-128-gb-ssd-core-i5-4200u---16-ghz-116-tft-w10-en~2.jpg (2400x2000, 727K)

Thank you. I’m strongly considering picking one up.

bad deal

not awful but you could get a thinkpad with better specs for cheaper

Picking up a T420 keyboard, 5400m motherboard, and 900p display for my T430. hopefully I don't get scammed by these chinamen

Attached: cart.jpg (846x615, 52K)

well, my W520 finally arrived. seems nice so far aside from the motherboard temps which are kinda high. should i be worried about motherboard idle temps from 55C-75C? could it just be a faulty sensor or what's the deal

you could get a T420 for less than that
heck you could get a whole T430 for less than that
what is the purpose

I want to upgrade my t530

any downside to using locally sourced ram/ssd off cl, or should I buy new from amazon?

secondhand hard drives are yucky, new 1tb SSD's are like $100 nowadays and you get warranty with them and it'll probably last forever

ram is whatever, but there is a couple brands that have lifetime warranties, like G.Skill and Kingston, I think

How bad is the Ideapad line, really?
My mom is looking for a laptop

I'll sell the parts I replace. I spent $200 on my T430

same as any cheap plastic best buy shite
hinges will break, along with other plastic bits, battery will go to shit quickly, support is handled differently compared to the think* line

you can also check their outlet for refurbished things with warranties
lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/
(other brands have things like this too)
whatever she gets just make sure it has an SSD, it will make the biggest impact on performance and lifespan

sounds like a lot of hassle for actual pennies, get a job

I have a job. Modding is fun. Maybe I'll trade these parts for other parts, who knows.

>tn panel
enjoy your eye cancer

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Replacing_T430_screen_with_a_better_one

>whatever she gets just make sure it has an SSD, it will make the biggest impact on performance and lifespan
Yeah definitely gonna do that, main other concern is having a screen that's not shit. She doesn't want to spend much like I said, but her last laptop was some Asus that turned out to be a piece of shit and she doesn't want to repeat that. I have a MBP though so I don't really know what's out there as far as Windows laptops.

Guess I should really figure it out though because when this MBP kicks the bucket I doubt I'll get another Mac with the way they're going these days.

>thinkpads are so durable!!!

Attached: screen crack 2.jpg (584x778, 54K)

>lenovo
found your problem

>why yes, I love my BGA chips flexing off the board if i hold the IBM ThinkPad using only one hand

Attached: T30_mit_Flexing_2.jpg (1931x1550, 929K)

pls respond

>IBM
found your problem

55C is pretty normal

What OS?
Also you should reapply fresh thermal paste every 1 to 2 years, the one in my W520 was dried up when I got it. The fan also has to be cleaned quite often
The Nvidia GPU should be about 10°C below the CPU at most times

win7, laptop came used so i might just have to open it up and check how the situation is.
thanks

Mine runs at around 45C in idle in win7 and goes up to 90C under really heavy load

I really don't need all that, I just need a better resolution than 1366x768. Everything is so big and takes up too much space

>a better screen requires either an extension or an adapter
Fuck this gay shit, where's the 3rd option.

maybe its my eyes but I don't think the stock screen is that bad, other than the fucked up resolution making me scroll so much

do you guys use tlp on your thinkpads? does it help battery life?

they break over time but the good thing is they survive catastrophe well and can be fixed overnight.

what are recommended replacement batteries?

Attached: 1566083372941.jpg (1440x1800, 126K)

for the T430 oof

I hesitate between a HDD and a SSD for a x220, knowing that I move a lot of movies and music, would not it be better to take a HDD?

ssd is marginally better battery life if that matters. if you skip tracks a lot on large files it will probably be more responsive, but again marginally.

also for movies it probably wont matter much unless your jumping around inside them various timestamps.

Are there any thinkpads with extremely low TDP cpus (eg. 6W) that offer high battery life at the expense of everything else?

you probably want one of the early intel atom netbooks. theyre cheap and like

>hdd
>2019
lmao

>chiclet key thinkpad
glorified ideapads are not thinkpads.

Enjoy your $999 1To SSD, retard
You're a sold, negro

if i want to dual boot windows10 and debian on a t440p, does it matter which slot i use for either one? i was thinking of using debian as my main os on the normal ssd, and then windows on the m2 ssd just in case.

most people keep all their operating systems on one disk

*i obviously meant dual booting with two drives.

ok thanks, i've never dual booted so i was wondering. guess it was more of a question for /sqt/

1Tb ssd is like $150

can u even get an hdd bigger than 1tb in an x220? cuz they use the slim 7mm drives not standard 9.5mm
and 1tb ssds are $100 nowadays

Attached: 1413448426550.png (900x1174, 1.36M)

ssd
>more reliable
>no sound
>no vibrations
>will last forever, can put in future machines
>faster boot times, faster thumbnail loading, faster everything
>consumes less power
hdd
>slightly better $/gb

seems the winner is clear to me, go with the hdd

Who use the slim 7mm drives ? The x220 u mean ?
I got an 720Go HDD but i don't know if i buy an HDD or not

Yes. The X220 requires 7mm height drives. 9.5mm will not work. Most laptop HDD's are 9.5mm. All SSD's are 7mm

I have this in my T420
ldlc.com/fiche/PB00267106.html

T420 can take 9.5mm, regular height drives

Can transport screw up laptop PCs, for example by car?

I had issue (with my postal code) when trying to order a thinkpad from the website, is there a special format or something I'm missing?

I'm in canada btw.

I want to buy the newest X1 Yoga - I really like the note-taking aspect.

What am I in for?

Attached: 1567064023931.jpg (200x250, 10K)

Does librebooting matter?
Seems like overkill to me but im not much informed on it.

extremely unlikely

unless you run over the laptop i'm not sure what you're afraid of

I sold my MacBook Pro 2015 few days ago, got myself a nice t440p, put into it i7 4702mq, 512gb of SSD storage, 16GB of RAM, and now I am waiting for 1080p screen from Aliexpress... I think I got myself a dream machine.

And what's even more thrilling is sensation of having built machine by yourself. Some kind of warm feeling knowing that you have invested some kind of work into it, it is total opposite of soulless Apple MacBook. Feels gud.

Attached: 19BF6F75-D514-4542-88FC-7821879D8F0D.jpg (4032x3024, 2.47M)

Do any anons know where I can buy a 51nb T70 Chinkpad nowadays? Do you think they will ever do another batch of those? I really want one

Attached: kanna_thinkpad.png (802x1129, 851K)

WHY do all used X250 only come in 1366x768?
Is 1920x1080 too small for the X250?
Is 1600x900 enough for a T450S?

People only buy 1080p ones so there's just the shitty ones left
No
No

A laptop without ssd is literally a useless brick

objectively false

Hello anons. I bought an X230 from eBay but the seller sent me a T430. Did I get fucked over?

Attached: IMG_20190910_122246.jpg (4032x3024, 1.52M)

Two reasons:
1. People are cheap fucks and don't know shit about displays, so they just buy the cheapest possible configuration
2. Companies buy them in bulk, and they don't give a shit about displays, especially since ThinkPads are often used docked at workplaces.
Good news is that you can easily change the display for a good one yourself.

How so?
Like what?

How's a T510 and why isn't it recommended?

In my honest opinion T430 is better if you are ok with the size of it.

yeah

Just decided to purchase a w530 for 500e with 16gb and a new 500gb ssd
The clerk offered to install it dualbooted with w10 and ubuntu, latter of whch i aim to use, but since Linux is new for me (used Windows all my life) i gave the ok to install w10 aswell just in case

Wondering if there will be any residue from w10 when i decide to go full linux? Should i just message him to skip the windows completely?

i put msata ssd for system and a 2.5hdd in mine

I have come to request your aid yet again!
Please help as no idea which one I should use, or if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

So here I have 3 heatsinks for the thinkpad x230, which are :
04w6922 vs 04W0435 vs 04W6922

Apparently 04W6922 is the one specifically made for x230 and x230i. I have problems regarding overheating, wherein I am using an IDE and it overheats to 70-80 C. I bought some arctic mx-4, plus now a new motherboard due to overheated GPU, which I will try to fix. I am also using an msata, should that be relevant.

Is there any other heatsink I could shove into this machine so that it does not overheat so easily? Thanks in advance!

Really could not find anything on a heatsink upgrade.

Sorry, last one was 04W6923 I suppose this would be the best choice?

Old hardware, bulky size, expensive.

Is this a dead pixel?

Attached: IMG_20190910_194742.jpg (3968x2976, 2.11M)

.........like what?

if it was DEAD it would be black

i wonder how most of you are more onions than me but dont struggle with the fucking screws

Can /tpg/ help me. Is this worth it for $295 CAD/ $225 USD

Lenovo thinkpad L470
14" screen Full HD IPS screen 1920*1080
Intel Core i5 - 6200U
8gb ddr4, one more open slot for further expansion
180GB SSD
Intel Hd graphics
Built in webcam
USB 3.0 3 ports
Mini DisplayPort
Fingerprint reader
Each full charge holds about 4 hrs of usage time depending on the programs running Comes with charger