/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

>Choosing, downloading, installing, activating windows / office
rentry.co/fwt

>LTSC 2019 ISO optimization & debloating
rentry.co/ltsc_optimized

>recommended windows software (infograph)
s1.desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1562/46/1562467997749.png (embed) (embed)

>windows 7 updates to avoid
pastebin.com/a1htBUby (embed) (embed)

previous thread:

Attached: 6c0458a50455071c686f5577b4ec4fbc.jpg (1440x900, 533K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ghacks.net/2019/09/03/what-is-the-best-free-archiver-to-extract-archives-and-compress-files
softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Shell-Replacements/Icaros-Shell-Extensions.shtml
github.com/stax76/mpv.net
ghacks.net/2015/02/27/ghacks-is-dying-and-needs-your-help/
lifehacker.com.au/2015/03/popular-tips-site-ghacks-hits-patreon-as-ad-revenue-dwindles/
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-7-sp1-media-refresh-download-links.60681
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-loader-download.58464
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/simplix-pack-to-update-live-win7-system-integrate-hotfixes-into-win7-distribution.45005/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

friendly reminder: this is the recommended archive program now.

ghacks.net/2019/09/03/what-is-the-best-free-archiver-to-extract-archives-and-compress-files

Attached: bz.png (690x335, 23K)

Not its not fuck off nigger

There was this program that generated thumbnails for videos and basically everything really well but I can't remember the name. Can anyone help?

that would be icaros
softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Shell-Replacements/Icaros-Shell-Extensions.shtml

REMINDER TO ADD BANDIZIP TO YOUR 4CHANX FILTERS
THESE PAJEET CANCERS HAVE BEEN SPAMMING THIS BOARD FOR WEEKS EVERY SINGLE DAY WITH THEIR 7-ZIP PROPRIETARY CLONE

Attached: satania.gif (220x216, 39K)

Thanks

>No support for VDI/VHD/virtual disks in general
DROPPED

WANGBLOWS

Has all the file association most users would need anyways.

Attached: bz-association.png (719x469, 34K)

>this much cope
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA
pajeet cant into VMs
holy shit the meme is real

Finally upgraded my old toaster.
So I just get W10 LTSC 2019 and use that when I want an OS that just works with my shit?
Just going to use it for games (old and new) and occasionally some office stuff, at least for now.

Attached: 1565523507462.png (4000x3530, 72K)

yes, LTSC works just fine
but i would recommend PRO anyway, i used to use LTSB but i dont feel the need to disable every little thing in windows since i only use the windows partition for gaming

Who is even the os-tan for 10

>no VDI
yeah, pajeetware as always

what games have you ran into that works in Pro that doesn't on LTSC?

cope

Attached: KEK.jpg (9959x9999, 1.6M)

Touko Madobe

Attached: 1554287168347.png (1920x1080, 2.68M)

i heard some UWP games do that, but personally ive never had that happen
everything that runs in PRO runs in LTSC i think

why would anyone recommend Pro is beyond me. Education has no ads and has "Security" level telemetry option, all while being rolling release.
LTSC 2019 + Office 2019 is just fine.
Madobe Tooko (pic related)
UWP games that only support 1903, ie Forza Horizon 4 (or whatever its spelled)

Attached: 944c4fe191d1bbb5efda1da40a56eb05.jpg (800x555, 202K)

Go with LTSC 2019. Just loaded up in a pendrive with Universal USB Installer. You can play games and get drivers updates ass well.

Attached: ltsc.png (2560x1440, 767K)

yeah i just use pro because im lazy
i dont use my windows 10 partition for anything but gayman anyway
everything else is in loonix

sure, if you want Forza that bad, then i guess stick with Pro.

the absolute state of winjeets

>a-atleast it can d-do .zip ok?
yeah no VDI support is retarded in 2019

just filter it like the Windows 10 AME shills

you misspelled Rufus.

How easy is it to switch from Education to LTSC? Also will there be a way to play with the VM and Linux kernel on LTSC when it comes next Spring?

already did, now to add /fwt/ as well

>How easy is it to switch from Education to LTSC?
reinstall
>Also will there be a way to play with the VM and Linux kernel on LTSC when it comes next Spring?
no WSL2 for LTSC if that's what you mean. conventional VMs work though of course

>UWP games that only support 1903, ie Forza Horizon 4 (or whatever its spelled)
But do these games not just require UWP and work on LTSC?

most, but some require 1903 explicitly

Call me when you can preview archive content from the context menu.

Attached: bandizip-context3.png (730x333, 18K)

i want to nakadashi nanami-chan

Why would i want that ?

and see

anyone on the windows insider program who has tried wsl 2?

To do that it has to constantly run in the background
And when it's running its sending all filenames to google and bandisoft hq. Nice botnet

What the hell can you even do about the WindowsApps folder getting so bloated?

I've never used any of these stupid apps, and they're not even installed according to the windows store - I guess they came with the laptop - and it seems like, instead of replacing old versions with the new versions, those geniuses just keep every single version all together in the same folder.

I've been searching solutions on Google but every single website, forum post and whatnot I encounter is just someone talking about how they couldn't do it. Taking ownership of the folder doesn't work, command lines don't work, etc.

Any ideas? How do you guys deal with this shit?

Attached: windowsapps bullshit.jpg (816x549, 208K)

The only time it connects to server is to find an update. SumatraPDF, which is free and open-source does the same. You can automatic updates and even block the connection with the firewall if you want.

Attached: bandizip-connection.png (940x710, 87K)

on LTSC, I don't even have a Windowsapps folder

What should be the name of the os-tan of SQL server?

Not sure if it's just the crack that's fucked but RE2 just crashes on startup

Download the latest driver. Most new games on release will have trouble running. That is why gpu vendor also launch updates for their graphic cards.

Could be the crack. RE2 works even on wine.

For those that have always been interested in trying mpv on Windows. There frontend called mpv.net.

github.com/stax76/mpv.net

It is mpv with gui for settings, context menu and an actual installer. There is also Scoop package.

Attached: mpv1.png (454x266, 30K)

I saw Thunderbird in the infographic so I was wondering if there was any way to get a Microsoft Exchange account to work with it like it does with ExQuilla

you mean you want a free alternative to ExQuilla?

Yeah, I tried DavMail but there's always something that goes wrong.

It was maybe an overlay (Steam or that Radeon shit) that got in the way.

Post command line tools you use on windows (via cmder, conemu etc)

GCC
Youtube-dl
Aria2
Wget
Vim
MPV
7z
Calculator

You should still download the latest gpu drivers for bug fixes and performance issues.

No reason to not have the latest drivers, especially after a new install.
Unless you have an old nvidia gpu

No, it's not. Stop shilling your spyware 7-Zip ripoff.

>If you install a large and heavy graphics card, you need to use a tool such as MSI Gaming Series Graphics Card Bolster to support its weight to prevent deformation of the slot.

wat

Attached: 1539010358799.jpg (655x527, 59K)

>Bandizip performed well in all compression tasks; it came first in all tests and often by a huge margin. For the first file, it took only 5 seconds and 11 seconds to compress it whereas the second fastest, WinRAR, took 13 seconds and 23 seconds to perform the same operation.

I see you can't deal with facts.

7-zip performed significantly better in the extraction test, which was the only fair test. Just fuck off already, shill. None of us are shocked that a program that compresses less finishes faster.

It's literally a closed-source ripoff of 7-Zip with spyware and poorer performance.
KYS immediately, you stinking piece of shit.

Will this be Nanami-chan's final winter?

Attached: 1565752859451.jpg (500x548, 45K)

Her final winter is already gone.
It was glorious.
>t. ausfag

Bandzip is heavily shilled by gHacks.
ghacks.net/2015/02/27/ghacks-is-dying-and-needs-your-help/
Which is such a pure advertising site now that even Google would be envious.
lifehacker.com.au/2015/03/popular-tips-site-ghacks-hits-patreon-as-ad-revenue-dwindles/
TL;DR: stop shilling your shitty botnet archiver

dilate

Attached: martin.jpg (198x192, 6K)

>Martin Brinkmann is a journalist from Germany who founded Ghacks Technology News back in 2005. Martin started his career as a tech support representative at a large German financial corporation which he used to finance his college education in English, Information Technology and History.
>He quit college and his job when Ghacks began to attract a large enough readership. He made the decision to become a full time blogger and webmaster, and has not looked back since.
Imagine living in a country like Germany with super cheap college. Imagine also having a job and getting paid to go to school. And then dropping out like a retard. What a joke.
7-zip performs much better than bandizip, as his own data shows. Yet he shills bandizip anyway.

7zip users wish their sowftware looked this good and perform as fast.

Attached: bandizip-archive.png (1084x682, 94K)

>looked this good
It looks like a shitty owner-drawn escapee from a Linux DE. Hard pass.
>perform as fast
7-zip also performs if you don't actually compress anything.

Can anybody help me pirate Windows 7? Ive found a bunch of places to download .iso's, but do I just burn that shit to a disk and then boot my PC from that disk to begin install? Any recomended safe places to download from?

Do I need to find a seperate crack somewhere else to get a proper code so I can even install it?

Attached: Mickey Murse.png (747x527, 141K)

>Any recomended safe places to download from?
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-7-sp1-media-refresh-download-links.60681

>Do I need to find a seperate crack somewhere else to get a proper code so I can even install it?
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:37041ba60196e8eff7050a801ebe73cedb8c0748&dn=Windows%20Loader%20v2.2.2&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.opentrackr.org%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.zer0day.to%3a1337&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fexplodie.org%3a6969

instructions:
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-loader-download.58464

>but do I just burn that shit to a disk and then boot my PC from that disk to begin install?
Yep.
>Do I need to find a seperate crack somewhere else
For Windows 7, I still recommend Daz's Loader. It's idiot-proof. The only thing is that it requires an MBR disk.
>to get a proper code so I can even install it?
No, you can skip entering a code, and once it's installed, deploy whatever activation tool you prefer.

Windows 7 professional or Ultimate?

may as well as go with ultimate

if you use 7, then you might want to look at Simplix update pack or you'll be spending the next 2+ hours downloading updates

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/simplix-pack-to-update-live-win7-system-integrate-hotfixes-into-win7-distribution.45005/

>the next 2+ hours downloading updates
You have a 9900K, Optane and gigabit FTTP too?

fine, try closer to 4-6 hours, it's just easier to get the Simplix update pack and have it integrate the 170 updates.

and even easier to upgrade to 10 and download 1 file to integrate using the Cumulative Update & some other files but still easier than 7.

So what will you guys do once 7 isnt supported anymore? Just keep using it? Or will you jump on the linux bandwagon?

for me, i'll keep using LTSC.

Most people have long gone to 10.
7-4EVA people are just vocal - they're actually a tiny minority.

>they're actually a tiny minority.

Except that theres almost as many Windows 7 users as there are Windows 10 users. Windows 10 users only surpassed 7 users in 2019, and its not even by a huge margin.

Theres so many people still using 7 that even graffix cards makers and mother board makers are trying to build windows 7 functionality into their new shit so that they dont get left out with all the new shit trying to force DX12 and Windows 10.

When support for 7 ends in January, it will be an interesting time. Apparently Microsoft is going to offer paid support for Windows 7 until 2023 for businesses, so people are expecting those paid updates to make it out into the wilderness for everyone else to use.

You can spin and strawman it however you like user - no skin off my nose.

>microsoft is removing epub support from edge
What can I use that is opensource and actually looks good on high resolution screens? Calibre looks like crap, I haven't found anything that looks as good as edge.

try Sumatra PDF

I have tried that as well. It looks like crap.

Was about to say this to the guy you responded to. It seems PDF readers are very get-what-you-pay-for.

I mean, I didn't pay for edge. Surely there's something available that doesn't look like crap. I guess there will probably be some way to keep using old edge even after microsoft discontinues it, but that sounds kind of annoying.

"looks like crap" isn't the most technical explanation

Font doesn't look good on a high-dpi screen. Line breaking isn't done right. Default settings look terrible, no space between paragraphs, no proper margins. And I can't seem to configure it in any way that makes it actually look good like Edge.

Well, technically you did. Edge Classic is part of Windows - which you paid for one way or another.

I mean, not really. It was never included with Windows 7, but you could still download it for free. Microsoft marketed the browser as a free download.

When 7 is kill, will we use Touko?

Hi winfriends, which settings should I change for maximum battery life (windows 10)?

My laptop has a digital entitlement for Windows 10 Professional, would it work with the Education installer?

lower brightness to 1/3
don't use any other lights on hardware

No, it won't.
Use another activator, such as KMS_VL_ALL.

WSL is broken for me on LTSC, should I use hyper v + ssh as an alternative?

>Do I need to find a seperate crack somewhere else to get a proper code so I can even install it?
KMS_VL_ALL works well for supported versions (Enterprise and Professional iirc)

>using ltsc
>needs wsl2 that needs customer preview

He never said WSL2.

Attached: 1514942338230.jpg (641x530, 41K)

>eperate crack somewhere else to get a proper code so I can even install it?
to the user who asked for which version of 7 to download, and I suggested Ultimate, then your choice of activation also changes

Ultimate = Windows Loader
Pro/Ent = KMS activated

Everything becomes easier once you upgrade to 10. *patches, activation, etc*

Enterprise + KMS is just as easy as win10, its just that Ultimate got spread back in the day more, because there were less and worse KMS activators around, and the only MBR limitation and hacky ways of Daz Loader was irrelevant for nearly everyone. Remember that was an era where RemoveWAT and similar hacktivators were a thing.