/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Don't dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: TrumpOS.jpg (602x500, 118K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html
surge-synthesizer.github.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If you're not using a distro from the Redhat family, you're holding back the GNU/Linux desktop.

t. redhat

Hey /fglt/

I’m running into a problem when I try to boot up my laptop. Can anyone help? I have Windows 10 and Ubuntu dual booting, and typically when I power it on I can choose which OS I want to boot into. Today, however, I ran into a problem. When I turn my pc on I got stuck on the GNU 2.02 screen which allows you to choose either Ubuntu or Windows boot manager. My PC just stops responding to any input. Hitting the arrow keys doesn’t do anything, and no key I press seems to have a visible response on screen. I think it is freezing or crashing, because I see some text which says that if no input selected, it will default to Ubuntu in 10 seconds, but that isn’t happening.

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Attached: F2E0E8C7-D3A1-4763-9386-F2493EAFAD08.jpg (605x1110, 147K)

Why is GNU + Linux so much BETTER than Windows an Macintosh?

I mean, I know it is a comfy kernal with great Desktop Environments, but it seems somehow just RIGHT.

All distributions have their own charm. It's like sprinkles on a donut, you know?

Trying to setup a remote desktop for a server in a lab / small business setting...

The boss doesnt consider splashtop, teamviewer, etc as safe (probably smart?)

So I was using xRDP, through a keybased SSH...

Does these seem like a good idea? I figure its better than VNC since it hosts separate sessions than the local users.

Only issue I find is, the machine uses KDE, and if xRDP also uses KDE then one cannot login locally and remotely as the same user... unless there is a way to have a "second KDE" installed on the machine?

>I have Windows 10 and Ubuntu dual booting,
fix this first then your problem is solved.

OR you could read OP's post:
"2) Don't dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS."

imagine using an enterprise OS, a clone of that enterprise OS or its beta version at home instead of the desktop gold standard

this post was made by orange gang
fuck red gang

Attached: 21.jpg (4032x3024, 1.35M)

Ok lesson learned. Is there any way to get into the OS for long enough to fix this?

Why doesn’t Trump get behind Free Software if he wants to hit SV where it hurts? This issue should have bipartisan support.

Proprietary software caused artificial scarcity causes hundreds of billions of dollars of deadweight economic loss every year to enrich a handful of people.

You have to hack the Win efi to point to the GNU+Linux boot manger.

brainlet here, hello i have a LOTEKOO 150Mbps Wireless Network Card Adapter and on distros with newer kernels like ubuntu it works out of the box but how do i go about installing the drivers on another debian based distro?

Imagine sucking Canonical’s crypto-proprietary dick instead of siding with based Red Hat who saved Free Software.

Whenever I use the sudo command it says it isn't found. Has anyone ran in to this before? I'm new to linux and have been using it close to a month and sudo has worked fine until yesterday.I tried searching, but I only noticed answers to problems that are similar.

I have been using Debian for three months now and I find it pretty stable. So how do people "break" shit that needs to be fixed on Linux? I mean you go out of your way or try to do something very obscure to achieve that right?

Attached: 2EVxWd7_d.jpg (385x367, 15K)

did you accidentally delete sudo?

Fuck off eternally.
Do you realize that this guy is a notorious billionaire, right? Do you realize that he altered tax laws in such a way that all CEOs and top managers of largest corporations get incredible tax cuts? Do you realize that his posturing as a champion of liberty is a total farce for the media?

Attached: 1531336642998.png (3000x1688, 3.37M)

People are different. This leads to different use cases and workflows and some of them are not well supported, but people somewhat reasonably assume that things will justwerk due to the vast advancements in GNU+Linux UI in past years.

>Red Hat who saved Free Software.
What is this retarded bullshit?

Yeah but he’s a real estate billionaire not a tech billionaire. He not so secretly hates other billionaires and wants to “beat” them, especially the ones that openly oppose him like SV CEOs.

If it were not for Red Hat Gnu+linux would unironically still be a side project O/S instead of a widely respected enterprise O/S.

>when you accidentally rm sudo instead of sudo rm

Attached: facepalm.jpg (300x300, 13K)

Not him but heres a tip. When cards are down billionaires are in it together. Their short term power play and struggle for money exists but in the long run they play for each other.

He's a real estate swindler and an all around crook. /Fglt/ and especially the free software community is not a place for Trump chuds. Get out.

It appears I'm really dumb. I went through my terminal history and a command I copied in to it did just that. Definitely a lesson learned here. I didn't even consider I deleted it.

make me.

I don't give a fat ogre shit about enterprise os. I'm an ordinary user. If they disappeared I would dance on their graves.

can you even rm sudo if you arent root? wouldnt you have to sudo rm sudo? ive never done this because im careful in bash with sudo commands.

You overestimate your significance.

shhh, don't overthink it
just laugh

based retard.

lame-ass retard.

>how do people break shit
>user deletes sudo above him

awesome projection. you are the one trying to expel people from the community on your own fiat.

If you're not using a free/libre distro, you're holding back the mankind.

what did red hat do to get on stallman’s bad side? they claim they are committed to free software.

Why should we tolerate anti-freedom crook bootlickers here?

bumping this

The day the average citizen understands this truth is the day aliens land on the whitehouse lawn to welcome us into the galactic federation.

trump is against the four freedoms? i didnt know he staked out a position on this issue.

distributing hardware manufacturer’s own drivers for the hardware people purchased is not much of a crime imho.

Only cucks, Jews, and seething third-worlders dislike Trump.

Probably because they also try to "own" free software at the same time. It's an oxymoron but it's also what they do.

They don't give a shit about my freedom of choice, or yours. They want to control us.
Pic related, redhat dev getting fucking banned by Linus Torvalds from contributing to the kernel for exactly what I'm talking about here. Trying to dictate what does and does not happen by using things they already control as leverage to force people to do more things they want them to do.

Literally the story of how systemd took over.

Attached: linus-email-sievers.png (569x595, 60K)

pretty true

i think u underestimate how much they contribute to the code in a way that affects u positively.

What crime? The fact that any code can be "closed" is a technical absurdity in itself perpetrated with the sole purpose of having tyrannical power over users.

Trumplets leave /fglt/ and never return. Get out, cockroach.

You seem good with computers so you probably aren’t a third-worlder.

You also showed support for the free software community so you’re also not a Jew

So stay mad, cuck ;)

>The fact that any code can be "closed" is a technical absurdity in itself
This user fucking gets it.
It's a 100% artificial system that can ONLY ever exist with strict law enforcement, and is absolutely impossible otherwise.

I also find it hilarious to note that proprietary shit is often supported by people using the banner of "capitalism" when it's in fact extremely anti-capitalist in every possible way. It's anti-competition, and it requires government intervention.

Stallman is a Jew.

Also, why are you still here, little shit? You will always be extremely unwelcome.

Capitalism has ALWAYS required government intervention. It's because it doesn't work. Libertarian bozos can dream all they want about some pure capitalism that never existed in reality.

Attached: 60506DF1-1257-490E-ACBF-00DF16030027.jpg (500x824, 146K)

1) Get out.
2) Never return.

So how do you define capitalism then?

Here's how google defines it:
>an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.
So basically you're post is saying our system isn't capitalist. Fine by me. I totally agree.
All I said was I find it laughable when people trying to say "it's capitalism" when they refer to proprietary software.

Attached: 3CDADE9F-B179-4AC0-A554-66B257D83BC9.jpg (657x437, 74K)

>>OPs cant have a lil fun
keep it Jow Forums guys

wtf mods do your job
next you will allow windows thread and lgbt hippie bullshit

Ok sorry janny

>based glombf is against da jooz!!
are you Jow Forumsyps literally braindead?
even the final boss of nu-males would know better

Attached: ShowImage.jpg (898x628, 51K)

Okay so i installed ubuntu on a virtual machine what now? My goal is to master the command line what should i do to practice?

you'll never be comfortable with GNU/Linux unless you use it to do your daily computing
wipe the malware out and install it on metal
making a habit of doing any file manipulation in the terminal is a good start
TLCL and TLPI are good books if you're into that

Pretty sure I figured out what we were doing wrong, it had to be a numeric value. Like for mine, to disable ERTM in bluetooth so my xbone pad works, i echo "1" which changes it to "Y"

You probably have to echo "2" to get "high" or something like that, whatever you do in the command line to make it high do it in /etc/sysfs.conf

>linus is now a beta tester for RHEL.

Admit that Red Hat is the real brains of this operation, neither Linus nor FSF.

I run xfce manjaro, can't mount my oneplus 5t to backup all the shit (already got airdroid but hey, fuck airdroid). any help on how to get it to werk?

pic is me btw. but i also have another thinkpad for a total of 2 -- one loaded with GNU+Linux (xubuntu) and the other with windows

whats the easiest way of transferring documents between both machines? can i just get a male2male usb cable? will that do the trick?

Attached: 1568065694631.jpg (758x644, 64K)

n00b here, why is centos better for setting up a server than any other distro? for example ubuntu

It's on a 10 year support cycle so it requires minimal os changes over time.

is this your first time with a recent version of Android?

You have to go on the phone and set it to USB mode, instead of Charge Only

The drivers should all be there.

Guys, wtf. So I have an HP laptop, new, cheap AF with some rtl8723de wifi card...install linux mint and no wifi...kinda noob with linux...fiddlefuck my way through compiling a driver and setting the antenna to ant2 and it works. What a pain in the ass. I expect the same with my LG phone which I can't for the life of me get to connect to Win10...I plug it in via USB and don't even need a driver. I can just browse in the file manager. I almost gave up on linux when i couldn't get the wifi working but stuck with reading up on it and got it handled...then shit just starts being easy...i'm kinda really excited now to customize this and ditch windows.

Can someone explain how package managers work? When I install something it installs a bunch of dependent shit, but when I uninstall it the other stuff doesn't get removed.

How can I even know what I've got installed on my computer, let alone keep it clean and clutter-free when I'm only using a program for a while before uninstalling?

no one said it was. just needs to be foss.

which package manager are you using? it depends

Just apt because I'm an Ubuntu newfag.

there is literally no other choice for a lot of users if they want their hardware to work. we need more competition in hardware to realize that vision. I understand the desire of FSF to set a standard, but I think it's a mistake to portray every non completely FOSS distro as equivalent. Ubuntu is definitely worse than Debian or Fedora, for example.

Most Linux users are looking to strike a balance that gives them an acceptable level of inconvenience (maybe even zero) and stability. The only distro on the FSF list I'd even consider using is Manjaro, but since it's based on Arch some people might not want it for the same reasons they might not want Arch.

There should be a hall of shame section for Ubuntu.

gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html

At a glance, this is putting Ubuntu on equal footing with every other distro that isn't cancer.

Meant to say Parabola, not Manjaro.

I don't know, he has a os disk

I was looking into installing linux. I have done a fair bit of research and from what I can tell there are basically 2 options for distros that dont have systemdicks gentoo, and void. (I am going for a secure distro). I am leaning towards gentoo because it seems like it has more security features than void (yes I know that it's a pain to setup but for the increased security it seems worth it). I have never used a linux distro and want to hear your opinions on what I should install.
Also OSes like qubes will not work with my hardware. My cpu is highly specialized.

have sex

>apt install x - install x, y and z as depencencies
>apt remove x - removes x, leaves y and z
>apt autoremove - removes y, z since they are installed as dependencies and are no longer needed

This is what I've been doing, but I swear the file sizes don't always add up.

I have a question: When I try and launch Linux thru Ubuntu/Virtual box it only allows me to select 32bit not 64. Is the problem in the BIOS?

Attached: linux.png (560x453, 19K)

Is RPM Fusion the Fedora/Red Hat/CentOS equivalent to the AUR?

Attached: 768px-Fedora_logo.svg.png (768x768, 40K)

Go to your BIOS settings and make sure that Intel VT-x or AMD-V is turned on.

No, it's more like the missing repository that Fedora is too scared to offer. The AUR is something different, but you may find some programs in RPMfusion that are not in Arch's main repositories, and vice versa. But it's not like a repository of user programs like the AUR is, so you still end up having to compile some stuff.

Thanks boss

>so you still end up having to compile some stuff.
I see. Is building an RPM package difficult? PKGBUILDs in Arch seem easy enough, but I hate how DEBs are compiled in Debian/Ubuntu.

Dunno, never bothered. Just did make install. Figure it's okay for one or two programs.

nitroshare

>GNU 2.02
It's GRUB, the Grand Unified Bootloader, and it seems you fucked it up somehow. (Or one of you OSs did). My attempt to solve this would be:
>Boot into a Ubuntu LiveCD/LiveUSB/LiveDVD (whatever you used for installing)
>Chroot into your Ubuntu install
>reinstall Grub
>regenerate grub.cfg

cool club penguin pic im kinda sad that it shut down.

Attached: 8gHKMMd.gif (156x200, 619K)

Between Red-hat and Linux foundation, which certification to take for maximum employ-ability?

Most cases of GNU/Linux systems breaking occur when people install software from outside the official repos. Debian calls this "creating a Frankendebian", while for *buntu and Arch/Manjaro user it's just "using PPAs" and "usimg tbe AUR" respectively.
Maybe you've been doing this instead without noticing:
>apt install x - install x, y and z as depencencies
>apt install w - install w. y is a dependency but already installed, so it doesn't complain.
>apt remove x - removes x, leaves y and z
>apt autoremove - removes only z since it is an unneeded dependency (orphan), but leaves y because it's still needed by w.
I'm also not sure about the specifics of apt. With pacman, pacman -R x only removes the program, while keeping the config files in /etc/. pacman -Rn x removes the config also. And pacman -Rn x removes otherwise unneeded dependencies of x too. Maybe apt has something similar.

When I disconnect my hdd or portable ssd without doing the safely eject media device thing I get an error when I try to remount it saying that the device already exists or is mounted. Is there a way to change this behaivour so I dont have to restart my pc every time this happens?

dpkg --list gives a human-readable list of everything you have installed.
dpkg-query --show gives a list with custom output for scripting.
aptitude why can be used to check why something may be installed.

Anyone have any idea why surge (surge-synthesizer.github.io/ ) gives me a grey screen when I open the editor?(It uses qt)

Where can I find tutorials to make my own KDE plasma window decorations? Not happy with the selection of decorations currently available.

Attached: question.png (741x568, 29K)

about to build my first (Ryzen) PC
can any of you gentlemen recommend me a GNU/Linux friendly motherboard, please?!
I don't want to build a high-end gayming rig so anything under 150$ (that can support up to 64G ram) would be great
Personally, i wanted to buy Gigabyte b450m DS3H but i don't know if i will face any issue with LAN/audio driver etc...

Attached: jjjjjjj.jpg (800x732, 73K)

Can someone help in this dilemma
Is KDE Neon better than Kubuntu?

What is a good beginner friendly distro besides Mint?

Attached: 1562105882768.jpg (634x635, 181K)