Free/Libre IM Services?

Im looking for a free service that is functionally similar to discord (without the gaming shit) that would be easy for a normie to use and cross platform (win10 osx android ios bsd ect) and please dont say irc

Attached: 6f7706df-fa3f-45c6-9b48-fe32ef0f8995..jpg (2048x1536, 672K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/matrix-org/synapse#identity-servers
wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

y is he so fat

There are none. The bullshit garbage like matrix exist but they require you to sign up to their service to use it. Basically SAAS DRM.

irc

You want a free service like discord? Use discord.

rocketchat

Riot.im

you can run your own homeserver for matrix you fucking mongoloid

irc

use it motherfucker

matrix is bad
wire doesn't work very well
use XMPP + OMEMO
Signal is okay too

Attached: .jpg (2048x1448, 244K)

genuine question, why do you think matrix is bad? also looking for a libre alternative to discord

lol just use discord faggot

not server but telegram is fairly good service with Open Source clients and is normie friendly with clients for all devices.

>identity service is centralized
>calls by default are relayed by matrix.org
>clients are all terrible
>group calling functions the same as skype (some users suggest embedding an iframe "widget" with mumble-web or another service as a workaround, what the fuck???)
>rest api is a fucking mess

>identity service is centralized
is it? If I'm reading the docs correctly it's saying that user accounts are local to whatever homeserver you're connecting to, and it's the room data which is federated across different servers via https
>clients are all terrible
riot.im looks like it has a decent UI, which is all my friends would care about if I'm trying to convert them over
The rest of your points I can't contend with though

github.com/matrix-org/synapse#identity-servers
homeservers also store the data posted to any room indefinitely on all participating servers. All public homeservers are also slower than shit.

Ah well that seems to only be for when you sign up with an email address. Thank you for pointing it out though.
Distributing room data across federated homeservers is the point of the protocol, right? It shouldn't be a problem if the messages are e2e like they advertise.

mumble

wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page

e2e groups are a bit messy with the key exhanges, by default they are not e2e encrypted

Thank you for your responses, Not gonna use matrix now lol

XMPP (also known as Jabber)
It has a lot of normie-friendly clients, including retarded phone apps, but also has good clients.

Tox.

matrix.org

>sign up with your email
NOPE

RMS is rolling in his grave right now at these SAAS DRM masquerading as "libre" software.

You don't have to enter an email address to sign up unless a homeserver explicitly requires that, retard. Hell, you can post with just an automatically created guest account.