What are the best "just werk" Linux distros for desktop/laptop use from the perspective of a non-enthusiast or somebody...

What are the best "just werk" Linux distros for desktop/laptop use from the perspective of a non-enthusiast or somebody who doesn't know how to use a terminal? For that I mean well supported and documented projects that have already been around a few years and are used by many. Ubuntu and Mint obviously come to mind, do Manjaro, Fedora and OpenSUSE fit this bill too?

Attached: distrohero.jpg (770x578, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rentry.co/manjaro-controversies
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Manjaro and Linux Mint are the few "it's just werks" distros I would have thrown Clover OS in there but the updating to a new linux kernel somehow keeps botching it as the system doesn't want to boot to the GUI but this was like 2016 CloverOS last time I tried so your mileage may vary

MacOS

>Manjaro
rentry.co/manjaro-controversies

Linux Mint

openSUSE kind of if it wheren't for their video codec problem, otherwise everything works out of the box and you don't need to use a terminal especially thanks to YaST.

Fedora can be pretty easy. Manjaro is easier. and Ubuntu and mint is the most easy to use.

Debian

Debian is the worst for a beginner...

Mint Cinnamon, Mint Xfce.
Manjaro can be somewhat buggy and since it's not a debian based distro I wouldn't recommend it to a normie. Same goes for Fedora. openSUSE isn't for normies either.

ubuntu or mint

>he posts the shitpost again
I'll just paste this from the other thread:
>rolling release distros should not be used by beginners for various reasons.
>literally doesn't mention a proper reason
jesus fuck this guy is a retarded parrot. Rolling release doesn't mean less stability as much as eCelebs would like you to believe, and Manjaro doesn't even default to rolling release mode. Normies are using rolling release software every day and it's a non-issue. Even if you have a bug of some sort it's usually fixed fast, unlike "stable release".
>you need to know how the package manager works
I've been using Manjaro for a while now and I have no fucking idea how to use the arch package manager. The only thing I know is "sudo apt update", which isn't an arch thing. You don't need to know anything other than click "software manager" and type an app name. This is as dumb as saying you need to know the terminal to use Android. Nobody fucking uses "pm install package" to install shit on android.
>Frequent kernel updates can sometimes result in issues with drivers, and you have to troubleshoot these issues.
No, if anything kernel updates significantly increase the chances your hardware will work. When I was on Mint I used ukuu to get the latest kernel whenever possible and had 0 issues for over a year.
>SSL certification issues
Are not relevant to distro issues
>Manjaro is focusing on monetizing the distro. They sell computers with Manjaro installed
Oh for fucks sake. I can't believe it took me this much to figure out this guy is a useless commie.

>Manjaro doesn't even default to rolling release mode
>I've been using Manjaro for a while now and I have no fucking idea how to use the arch package manager.
This is the Manjaro user.

If you're not gonna use the terminal even a little dont even bother with linux.

Exactly. So it's clearly easy to use when you don't even need to open a terminal. It's a sign of a good desktop distro.

I never used MacOS, but now with windows botnet it can actually be interesting.
I'd prefer an open source system but sometimes hardware is not supported (drivers issue)

How would you compare MacOS betnetness is is as bad as windows 10, can you disable spyware etc., thanks.

P.S. I value privacy because telemetry and behavior / usage analisys is bad for society I think, example camb. anal.

yes Ubuntu and mint,

ubuntu as actulal workstation, mint for personal use is ok too (in the end mint is ubuntu)

>drivers issue
Unless you're using something obscure you'll be fine on Linux.
>How would you compare MacOS betnetness is is as bad as windows 10
It's clearly less shit but still shit. And it's hardware support is worse than windows/linux.

I have an hp with subwoofer that does not activarte on linux, this this not linux faul of course
but I do not see how HW support can be wore on Mac when it's build by apple from the ground up (and I never touched a mac, even with a stick).

it's stupid to not admit that using linux you can have driver issues, unless you buy it preinstalled.

>Mint
its such a shit distro its literally more bloated than windows 10

arch

Pop!OS

GUIXSD is highly technical but it circumvents most of the unneeded complexity of unix-like systems and can trivially make system installs that don't require much maintenance and are in practise unbreakable.
It's not well established though.

Fedora and Linux Mint
(OpenSUSE because I'm a kraut and besides that YaST is really comfy)

>do not see how HW support can be wore on Mac
MacOS only supports the hardware that comes with Mac machines. If you try to use any other CPU/GPU it won't work well, if at all. Hackintosh is infinitely more difficult to set up than Linux is.