DirectX 12

It's been 4 fucking years is there anything that can be pointed to where DX12 has actually improved anything and hasn't turned out to be a buggy mess?

Attached: 1568104769007.png (640x300, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/porting-directx-12-games-to-windows-7/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No.

/thread

You'd have to be an extra level of retard to be a dev and use this instead of Vulkan.

It supports RayTracing though

There are games where DX12 improves the framerate at the same level of detail, but it's not the case in all examples so it's a rather inconsistent benefit.

Devs are brainlets that can't into multithreading, DX12 was bound to fail from the get go.
Regardless, if you're a dev and pick DX12 over Vulkan, you're retarded to begin with and can't be expected to be good at what you do. The only reason to pick DX12 over Vulkan is if Microshaft offers you a big pile of cash up front.

There are some features in DX12 that need SM6.0 to work, and guess what? SM6.0 is nowhere to be finished by microsoft.

What? SM 6.0 is finished. They're up to 6.4.

You'd have to be an extra level of retard to use anything but the platform's official API.
(t. extra retard)

Based.

You have to be a special type of retard to not use the api that has a conversion layer being funded by Valve and even the two GPU providers make fixes for the conversion layer in their drivers. It's no extra work to get it working on any platform

Only retards use DX12 when vulkan exists, microsoft was retarded for even working on it

Oh lmfao look at all the snowflake weeb faggots and their FOSS vulkan garbage. For some reason the most successful applications never use their shit.

But user, Vulkan and DX12 are both very difficult to use.
Can't we just stick with DX11? It's so nice and easy.
>t. every game developer

If you already have a game engine, its pretty easy to port to Vulkan. Perhaps not to use all the features it provides, but just to port the same functionality is easy.

You'd have to be an extra level of retard NOT to use DX12 over Vulkan

It's attached to Windows 10, devs don't like the term "requires Windows 10" in marketing when most people loathe it. The only reason we aren't still on DX9 is because DX10 was only actually used when they called it DX11 and put it on an OS people voluntarily used

the "platform" being the hardware manufacturers and the vast majority of software providers?
I'm glad u like vulkan too :)

Valve's proton implementation ports everything to vulkan for me.

I can't believe how well these games run, deleted my Windows 10 VM.

Attached: wew.png (2560x1440, 1.76M)

>Playstation only has GNM/GNMX
>Xbox only has DirectX
>OS X only has Metal
>DirectX works better on Windows
Please tell me why any game dev in their right mind will invest in Vulkan ?

>It's attached to Windows 10
user...
devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/porting-directx-12-games-to-windows-7/

>Windows and Linux support
>the morally correct choice
>actually works just as well as DX12
>Xbox DX12 is apparently not the same as Windows DX12 anyway
>controlled by Khronos, which you can join, instead of Microsoft
>Tiago Sousa is using it

I felt bad for you so here's a (You)

>not using opengl

Nobody uses OpenGL anymore except complete retards.
t. complete retard

Lets differentiate two groups of graphic APIs: high- and low-level ones.
DX1-11 and OpenGL are high-level ones, most of the job is done in the driver. This allows for faster gamemaking but with shitty drivers comes shitty performance (AYYMD).
Low-level ones (DX12, Vulkan, Metal, console native APIs) removes really many things from driver so the game makers have to do them manually. This removes a lot of overhead, GPU doesn't need to to unnecessary operations (unless dev told it to). Some devs will definitely go with high level ones (easier development and it worked so far, so why change now?) (see )
About buggy mess and porting in general:
Sure "porting" is rather straightforward, just replace old things with new things. But it doesn't mean the engine will run better, as it *has* to be designed and made with low-level API in mind. Vulkan requires fixed pipeline, whereas it was not necessary in older APIs, that would require a major rewrite of an engine.

>only benefits Linux gaming
I see thats why most devs prefer DirectX 12

OK lets use vulkan for graphics but what about sound, input etc? DX only advantage is that is a complete suite.

Attached: 1318474088298.jpg (262x192, 4K)

obsolete now that vulkan is out

i dont know anything about it but isn't that what openal / sdl is for

OpenAL is fucking horrifying. SDL_mixer is just a mixer, not a proper audio engine.
Everyone just uses FMOD or Wwise these days.

So does just about everything else.

Remember the crying witch demo? Wasn’t that to show off 12? Or am I completely wrong?

What happened?

Mainly because with greater potential comes greater difficulty. Note how ID Software made even the FX-8350 look good with Doom, and other companies can't even make a stable game on it. It just makes shitty devs more obvious.

Forget 12, I'm not even convinced that 10 or 11 improved enough over 9 to be worth the trouble. DX as a whole needs to be kicked to the curb.

Yeah, 9 was actually fantastic, and I hate Microsoft. 10 was forced for no reason and 11 was what 10 should've been.