Why is the CD still 16 bit 44,100 Hz? Shouldn't it be higher given the technology we have today?

Why is the CD still 16 bit 44,100 Hz? Shouldn't it be higher given the technology we have today?

Attached: 1568125224961.jpg (474x477, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Shouldn't it be higher given the technology we have today?
Why?

Won't higher sample and bit rates increase audio quality?

it would break backwards compatibility most likely
the various cd specifications are set in stone basically

Sure.
We'll move to 24 bits CD the day you'll find a song that uses the entire 16 bits dynamic range.

A CD stores data.. why cant you store high quality 24 bit 48000Hz on there?

Because OP is retarded, you're right.

WHY THE FUCK DO YOU WANT 24BIT IM PRETTY SURE U CANT HEAR THE DIFFERENCE

Won't 24 bit increase the dymaic range?

Super Audio CD was introduced 20 years ago, but it never made it past niche status because the only people who care are insane audiophiles. Regular CD sounds good enough. Hell, 99% of people can't distinguish between a V0 MP3 and CD quality anyway.

>Won't higher sample and bit rates increase audio quality?
Not "audio quality" as measured by the human ear.

There is a limit to what the human ear is capable of distinguishing, for almost all of humanity there will be no noticable improvement and the rest is lying.

Probably due to having so lowend audio equipment at home that there really is no difference.. ^^

Because an album wouldn't fit on CD then.
For high quality audio there is Super Audio CD (4,5 GB).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

It does, but there's not a single song that uses the entire 16 bits dynamic range, so adding more dynamic range is completely useless. Never mind the fact that basically nobody owns a setup able to reproduce accurately a 16 bits dynamic range, even less 24 bits, and even audiofools don't want to get deaf so...

That is true.. Also you dont let a total beginner rate your inline_asm accelerated code

Why hasn't SACD become the new standard?

This. I store music in LAME VBR V0 because I know I will never have equipment or ears good enough to hear the difference. Hell, probably V3 would be enough for me.

Because it is useless, it makes no difference in reality.

>I store music in LAME VBR V0
cringe

>Research published in 2007 found no significant difference in quality between SACD audio and CD audio at ordinary volume levels.
>By that time, consumers were increasingly acquiring music via internet downloads of files lower in resolution than either disc format, and SACD had failed to make a significant impact in the marketplace.
>A small market for SACD has remained, serving the audiophile community.

love how poorfags tell themselves it all sounds the same

Attached: hra.jpg (1280x765, 177K)

>44,100 Hz bad

Attached: audiophool boomer.png (606x402, 289K)

Because it does.
And even if it didn't, the niche of people with the equipment to hear it is tiny.

Pictured: a time span of 0.227 milliseconds.

It does

Furthermore it's a misleading picture because the high res graph has 25 bars, but it should've had 22 bars for the CD audio's 10 bars.

>what is sinc interpolation?

Attached: 1520805186234.jpg (442x500, 8K)

Attached: 4x-res.jpg (547x200, 47K)

Because (((they))) don't want to experience the full sound quality. They want to keep that for the elites.

Those graphs are incredibly misleading lmao
They represent 0.0002 seconds of audio at those sampling rates. You really would not be able to tell the difference.

Look dumbfucks, it's not that CDs can't store more than 16 bit 44.1 hz audio, it's that the CDDA spec was designed specifically for 16 bit 44.1 hz. It's like asking why the DVD Video standard only supports MPEG2 video in standard def; it's the media standard, not the storage medium.

Moreover, a lot of music that was mastered (but still analog recorded) digitally--circa mid to late 80s and even the 90s--was mastered at 44.1hz. You'd get almost no increase in quality remastering at a higher sample rate unless you remixed and mastered every individual reel of tape from a recording session, and god knows if those tapes have well stored.

**been well stored

it is literally impossible, as the quantization noise is far above the human range of hearing

Representing digital samples like that is criminally incorrect. It doesn't work like that at all.

Because there is a limit to how good the human ear is, and the CD already reached that limit.
Increasing the sample rate won't do shit, and can actually make things worse if you push it too far. Increasing the bit depth won't do shit, as the dynamic range for 16-bits is more than good enough.
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

Because no one gives a shit

2 channel audio is a joke. I am actually blind and enjoy Hollywood moves because they do nice job for 3D audio. Wladimir Kotelnikow figure out that 2 * fmax sample rate is good enough. only kids can notice very high freq.

Human hearing can only get so far. We're no doggos. We ain't bats. CD quality is unironically all you need.
Also at the age where you could actually enjoy higher frequencies, you couldn't properly clean your own ass and mommy still made your food.

Ayyyyy, someone else linked it.

I appreciate you user, doing god's work.