Aside from legacy code, why the hell is people crying over this? Isn't python 3 much better than this?

Aside from legacy code, why the hell is people crying over this? Isn't python 3 much better than this?

Attached: Screenshot_20190910-131231~2.png (1028x626, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/blob/master/README.python3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It is an issue for some businesses that have products with dependencies that only run on python 2 or very complex programs that are hard to change over

but in the end 2020 isn't even a real limit because Red Hat is going to continue supporting python 2 until at least 2024

Legacy code is easily portable to Python 3.

People upset about moving to Python 3 are literally too retarded to learn a slightly different (but improved) syntax and that's it. Some might say they need to use libraries only available for Python 2. If that's the case you should really reconsider what you're doing, because it's obviously absolute garbage.

tl;dr : only brainlets are upset

>Legacy code is easily portable to Python 3.
Ok, port Calibre to Python 3. I'll wait.

>Do my shit for free
Nice try.

>Legacy code is easily portable to Python 3.
LMAO, Python version 3.x aren't even compatible with each other, and that's minor versions of the same major version. Python 3 is a fucking shitwreck, and you can take your crappy damage control elsewhere, perhaps where you came from: reddit.

Should've wrote it in Java which is in fact compatible with older versions, lmao.

yeah! nice try! xd

you dont seem to be coping with the end of life for python 2 very well

>Isn't python 3 much better than this?
Python is utter garbage no matter the version

soon it will be dead garbage

cope

We switched away the last remaining code last year; Python 3 is genuinely better.

It's only increasing in popularity and usage user

>var

next youre going to tell me there are people who smoke cigarettes despite years of evidence they contribute to cancer?

cope

And? Are you going to downgrade from 12 to 8 or what? Absolute brainlet.

cigarette smoking is in steady decline, so no?

doesn't really change my point

So is the kovidCHAD renaming his python 2 fork?

Python 3 Adoption
Web / Data Science
82% 90% Python 3
18% 10% Python 2

2018 - jetbrains.com survey results

cause i don't want to migrate my shitty code

>products with dependencies that only run on python 2 or very complex programs that are hard to change over
They've had more than a decade to switch over (Python 3 was released in 2008). That's more than enough time to change over. If they didn't, it's because they actively refused to switch over, not because they didn't have enough time.

A shame. Python 3 got Unicode support so damn wrong, it's not even funny.
Now people think they are writing code that deals with Unicode properly "automatically", despite it not dealing properly with grapheme clusters.
So Python 3's primary reason for being incompatible with 2 buys you nothing but dangerous, false confidence.

Just rewrite it in Java instead like a normal Indian.

>2018 - jetbrains.com survey results
more like jetbrainlets.com lmao

most people would rather add new features or fix bugs than do some pointless migration

excellent rebuttal sir, to quote common parlance; "got em"!

>pointless
Until Python 2 is deprecated.

please do the needful

yes, in 4 years. will probably migrate though, just because fuck it and may be useful to learn python3, and may use the opportunity to refactor some garbage

>python 2 in 2008
its just a little dirty its still good its still good!
>python 2 in 2014
its just a little wet its still good its still good!
>python 2 in 2020
its gone dad :(

thinking you have 4 years when end of support is 1/1/2020 is the reason you are in the position you are in right now. i hope you can see that. good luck.

what does python3 offer though? aside from shitty unicode support and some pointless syntax changes

* its alive
* its not about to die
* i could go on...

red hat will support python2 until 2024

time to migrate to haskal i guess

go on please

sounds like a problem for future you *cracks open a cold one*

of course 2008 you could have prevented this literally 12 years ago by migrating then but.. no, this isnt a lesson to learn, this is totally NOT a lesson to learn. carry on!

hopefully i'll be dead by then

WONT-FIX

"its either me or python2" -- anonymous, september 10, 2019

How the fuckk fdo you run the SimpleHTTPSERver module on [ython 3??!?

based pajeet

Reminder, python 3 was released 11 years ago. For 10 years, everyone was told Python2 support would end sooner or later.

Whoever is crying over 10 year leniency time needs to be slapped in the face.

Also, Python 4 is probably ready for early development.

are you mentally disabled

>python3 -m http.server

Who the hell cares if this dumb fuck will stop supporting something? It's not like the interpreter will rot. Fuck python 3.

why would python4 be needed? python3 had some meme-excuse about strings at least

i thought Guido was #CANCELLED, does he even govern Python anymore?

Why would python2 be needed when we have python1? Why 3 when we have 2? Why 4 when we have 3?

Only a genius can answer it.

call me when Python4 removes whitespace characters from the fucking syntax

Ever since we switched to python3 my dilations have been less stressful.

>Python 3.6 introduces breakpoint()[/breakpoint]
>Ahh yes I'll just run this in python3.5
>WTF WHY IS IT BREAKING??

oh no.. jobs will be created!!!

cant say im happy about this. spent half a day porting a single module over from our outdated python2 which i needed running in a python3 project

turns out a fucking it was a fucking ord() function that misinterpreted a unicode value of whatever the fucking why it was there
code is 17+ years old an obviously not written by me or anyone else thats still working there. it was a fun day

if i gotta port the entire project to python3 i might rather consider suicide, quitting or try pushing a start over approach instead
its real bad and work completely devoid of any value

run 2to3 then fix the errors
ez

>Python 3 is a fucking shitwreck
RELEVANT examples needed.

>NOOOOOOOO
>YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO KEEP MY 2.7 PROJECTS ALIVE FOREVER
>I CANT SPEND ANOTHER 3000 DOLLARS ON CODECAMP FOR 3

Attached: 1567448308299.png (785x1000, 254K)

Nah syntax is never an issue. Different exceptions tree and encoding shenanigans are the real issues. That's why I moved to python 3 as soon as I could so I'd not deal with those. Or so I thought, but then they started changing inheritance in minor versions.

but i like referencing master/slave

i can never remember; is the slave the worker or the helper?

Python 3 removed Reduce() and added Sum() to the standard library. That's an excellent summary of everything wrong with it imho.

Did you just hacked Jow Forums fren?
breakpoint()[/breakpoint]
Testing

>breakpoint()[/breakpoint]
>Testing

>Python 3.6 introduces breakpoint()[/breakpoint]
>Ahh yes I'll just run this in python3.5
>WTF WHY IS IT BREAKING??

>call me when Python4 removes its best feature.
What's wrong with you?

The [/breakpoint] was supposed to be [/code] but I'm a retard

>Ok, port Calibre to Python 3. I'll wait.

Yes, you will wait... and somebody will do it for free. Are you actually doubting this?

Kek

Python is trash.

>Isn't python 3 much better than this?
It's much slower, at least.

You forgot about c extensions for a minute.

I dunno, being 40% slower in simple math operations seems like a down side to me.

Attached: pythonperf.png (861x562, 34K)

Python should be dead already, modern languages like Typescript, Rust and even retarded Go can do the job much better

dynamic languages generally should be dead

>comparing scripting language to actual programming languages
Scripting language are intended to be shit; with a scripting language, you can solve your shit quick and dirty without spending much time on development.
Python is *not as good as it could be* though. I am lazy to call it shit, because it has upsides before its ancestors.

kys asshole

die wigger loser

best post ITT

Attached: chillin.gif (220x266, 722K)

this is why i like using a standardized language, as compilers almost always have to support older standards for reasons
i can compile C++ 98 code and link it with C++2a code easily as piss
lmao pythonlets

>And that's a GOOD thing

yea it is, because it means people can isolate old code very easily without needing to update it to the newest standard immediately

>make sure to test and support each new version that comes out instead of letting the debt accumulate over decades
>literally never have this problem
Must suck to work in a boomer infested hellhole

wow, fucking grow up python 2 devs.

No python program is "really complex" LMAO
Also if it isn't updated who gives a fuck

updates should always be backwards compatable

you'll understand why when you have to re-write every single one of python 3 projects to python 4 and I just bump my java version number for free.

github.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/blob/master/README.python3
Looks like it's pretty far along, faggot

it's not. its missing libraries from 2. and 2to3 only does the super easy shit and ignores the other 90%.
the only one who would say this is someone who has never tried to port anything

>tfw have enterprise production software running on java 7
Why does it matter if official support ends? It's not like every piece of software written in said version will stop working

>started in September 2018
>still not done
so easy

>proprietary software
will brainlets ever learn?

Attached: reaction laugh forevor.jpg (247x248, 50K)

python 2 will forever be the best python. having to put parens around print statements will be python 3's downfall

Although Python 3 is just nicer than 2 in most every way, converting a large, older codebase is going to be fraught with issues.
that being said, 2.x's EOL date got extended by years

To be fair, the issues that came from the 2->3 transition are a pretty good sign that you shouldn't be causing breaking changes in a language.
or at the very least, you should try to break as little as possible

like, with 2->3 a lot of things are subtly different in a way that no one's going to fucking notice and the code might even run, but the program does something different
have fun debugging that shit

Properly written python2 code will work in python3

because a security vulnerability will be discovered and NOT GET PATCHED, so that enterprise software now ruins your multi-billion dollar business in a week.

>Python on windows
>Typescript

Attached: salvia.gif (720x540, 328K)

>Calibre
You should really reconsider what you're doing, because it's obviously absolute garbage.

>a lot of things are subtly different in a way that no one's going to fucking notice
desu they're probably relying on effectively undefined behavior (like dict key ordering) and so they deserve what they get

In my country we have a centralised it exam (after middle school), and we can choose to use linux (Ubuntu), but only with python 2. They also consider gcc a programming language.