>tfw fell for the SSD meme

and now I can't properly wipe it when I move to new hardware. Some criminal is gonna find this SSD in the garbage dump and retrieve my files and cause me great IRL harm. Thanks, jee. Thanks for nothing!

Attached: 1567287530134.png (680x680, 290K)

dude why the FUCK are you using bsd on anything but a server?
theres already so much shit you have to deal with elsewhere, get something that just works out of the box like ubuntu, debian, opensuse or something that isn't for Jow Forums autists.

If you're throwing it out anyway, physically destroy it.

Also, don't throw it out, recycle it.

Not sure where you got that idea from. Secure ease takes literally seconds.

But I read that it's placebo, it doesn't actually work. That there's nothing you can do to wipe SSDs the way you can HDDs.

You can't overwrite the drive like a HDD. Secure erase just sends a current to the nand, resetting it. Each manufacturer has their own utility to do it.

Does it actually work? It sounds like another Jewish fairytale to me...

An idiot without any technical knowledge would think that.

I bet you think your RAM also doesn't really erase when it loses power.

From how i understand ssd's work, yes. Correct me if im wrong but ssd's are basically arrays of state circuits and setting all of them to zeroes erases data from all but thr most sci fi if retreaval methods.

just fry it in the microwave oven

Dban with 0s TWICE

I beg anyone to find ANY documentation proving you can recover data from an SSD after that. Hell I find it impossible even with recuva deepscan to recover data after 1 pass of 0s and OS install.

Make a file as large as ssd that contains «fuck stupid idiots on g»

Same as 1 pass of 0s on dban except you don't get rid off 100% of the data (ie MBR/GPT and other stuff will persist).

Full retard

Where's your source proving him wrong, shit for brains?

SSDs don't have the same problem as HDDs do when it comes to overwriting files. You can't magnetic force microscopy NAND cells.

CTRL + A --> SHIFT + DELETE --> confirm

you retard

what's the difference between dban and dd if=/dev/arandom of=/dev/sda ?

dban wipes everything that is possible to wipe including partition tables. You have to do it twice though as at the end of the first wipe there will still be data left over in the NAND overprovisioning section of the SSD (see how SSDs vs HDDs work when deleting or writing new data). The second wipe ensures there is no data left over from the OP section especially since wear leveling algos prevent data from being written to the same spot over and over again (SSDs NAND cells have limited write cycles).

Because of the nature of NAND cells you can just do a quick pass of 0s twice and no data will remain recoverable. Though the government will still do like 3 roubds DoD on SSDs but that's because they're tarded.

>Implying you have anything of value on that SSD.

Open it up and scratch it or melt it

Just hit it with a hammer.

dban works just by plugging it in, iirc it just dd's the block device you choose a few times