/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming build skeletons and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to non-technically assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric games, VR games, or ray tracing: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 or RX 5700 - overkill framerates*
1440p 16:9 + 1080p 21:9
>RX 5700/XT
>RTX 2060 Super / 2070 Super
2160p 16:9 + 1440p 21:9
>RTX 2070 Super
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive
*requires complementary CPU and high Hz monitor

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: generous 5700XT chip cost.png (1920x1080, 348K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/weakness-in-intel-chips-lets-researchers-steal-encrypted-ssh-keystrokes/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFEx9PrRWgU
youtube.com/watch?v=AFv7rRYcEf8
babeltechreviews.com/vr-wars-the-rtx-2070-vs-the-gtx-1080-vs-the-vega-64/
siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

Attached: mining prices.jpg (2392x1056, 336K)

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

Forgot to mention that preorder 5700xt pulse is 500€

>can't decide between 3600 or 3700x
*sigh*

Attached: hrld.jpg (1348x1134, 677K)

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/weakness-in-intel-chips-lets-researchers-steal-encrypted-ssh-keystrokes/

When will the next big sale be for amd processors? Black Friday?

maybe when the new intel processor launch but nobody knows

>post times

Attached: 1367555358836.gif (199x231, 1.99M)

holy fuicking shit
the guy who leaked the 1660 super here a couple of days ago was right
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFEx9PrRWgU

the threadripper socket info got leaked here first as well, but so much nonsense gets posted in this general it's not like you can do anything with the info

how do i turn off the rgb shit on the ryzen prism cooler? got a b450 gaming pro carbon and can't do it with the mystic light crap

Which is the best mobo out of the x370 hero vi, the x370 gaming g7, the asrock x370 taichi and the X470 GAMING 7 WIFI ?

sorry sacrifice bro
i didn't manage to install win 7
too many issues and i kept looking for fixes to no avail
i guess it's up to you now if you want to see how badly win 10 is affecting your games by partitioning a small amount of your hard drive with disk manager then run a win 10 on it
after you're done testing you can nuke the partition and remerge it with the previous partition

2070 non super or 2060 super for 1440p. Gonna be paired with a 2700x CPU

Whichever is cheaper, performance is very similar

>1660 sup and 1650 ti
i see nvidia is bracing themselves for small navi by flooding all price brackets on the lower end

Same price

5700xt is 2060 super money for near 2070 super performances

2070 then

non-jew here, can someone explain the new naming stuff from novidia? i only remember their stuff from the gt-gts era

it's a complicated mess because of the rtx clusterfuck, don't try and understand

Super is likely a slightly buffed card, Ti is likely a slightly higher tier card
Who the fuck knows though

And with worse drivers and support

That's what I wanted but my local store that I have 150$ gift card for doesn't have any and wont for a month but my GPU died and I need something now. Only other option is the blower style 5700 which is 200$ less than the 2060 super and 2070 but I heard the blowers are not worth it

we've been through this already
most of it was debunked

Are there any other sites that sell Sabrent Rocket other than Amazon?

you can buy it direct from their website but for some reason it's 3x the price there. they are really only available on amazon.

2060s any decent for 1080p gaming?

sure
but don't expect ray tracing with good framerate

I don't intend to use the raytracing, I just want a decent 8gb card for 1080p on higher settings

it's more than enough for 1080p

not him but 1660 ti ought to do the trick

I live in Norway, the Sabrent Rocket 1TB is a great price even with import tax (25%) but I'm afraid I'll have buyer's remorse if they suddenly start selling outside of US based sites.

>replace stock Prism cooler on my 3700X with an alphacool 420 AIO
>80°C max
Ugh. I guess I should repaste, I took some tries because the backplate was falling off all the time. Also, I put a fan as intake instead of exhaust. I hope doing that fixes temps.
Also, I have the AIO with 3 140mm exhaust on top, should I set the rear fan as intake? It looks like it's sucking all the air out before the AIO's fan.

youtube.com/watch?v=AFv7rRYcEf8

tech deals also recommends the Inland Premium 1TB SSD 3D NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive

AMD in general has somewhat worse than expected performance any time the game is off the beaten path

>Although the RX Vega 64 liquid-cooled edition is in the same class as the GTX 1080 and the RTX 2070, it falls behind both of these cards in VR performance. The two VR synthetic benches that we use do not predict real-world VR performance.
babeltechreviews.com/vr-wars-the-rtx-2070-vs-the-gtx-1080-vs-the-vega-64/

Also consider problems like low CPU utilization in PUBG

If you only play AAA games, you'll probably get what you pay for or slightly more if you buy AMD. Really depends on the games you're playing

Attached: PUBG CPU utilization.png (1920x1080, 665K)

Yeah, unfortunately we are severely limited in terms of brands here so all those cheaper SSDs are not available.

any AMD polaris users here? The video acceleration is not working on my RX580 (latest drivers, windows7, acceleration enabled in browser)
Whats the trick to enable it? Couldn't find anything in their control panel.

Attached: Us6F0vm7mg.png (496x406, 312K)

>CPU utilization
we're discussing gpus here
>the state of the shill bots

This imagine pisses me off because retards dont realize that the game is sponsored by intel. They literally have intel advertisements in the game while you play and in the main menu.

Will 6GB be enough though?

I had a 470 on Win10, no problems with videos in Firefox on default settings. Try a restart if you haven't

>shilling literally all day every day

unironically yes
unless you're doing some deep learning or crypto mining with your gpu obviously

not like there is a problem it just uses CPU to decode instead of GPU

>being so illiterate that you didn't notice the Vega VR benchmarks
The CPU utilization in PUBG is just another example

Blaming a competing company is a common crutch, but the fact remains that PUBG is one of the most popular games on Steam. Why would someone buy gaming hardware if not to have good performance in the games he plays?

I'm against overhyping or exaggerating the performance of any product or particularly any brand, which is why I repeatedly note that AMD is often better for AAA games and Nvidia or Intel is often better for PC exclusives

Yep

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-30 Ancestors The Humankind Odyssey тест GPU CPU RPG Ролевые Тест G (720x855, 54K)

Best setup for SSD/HDDs if I'm going to be dual booting Linux (for most things) and W10 (for the few things that I can't get to work on Linux)?

>CPU utilization on the 6C 8700K is higher than the 4C 7700K
>both Intel, same CPU architecture even
>basically the same CPUs but one has 2 extra cores
This makes no sense. I really have no idea what the game is doing but something looks fucked. I assume it's running worse on a 7700K than on the 8700K too.

you need to just trust the resident shill stop thinking

I cannot for the life of me find a single review for this 5700XT and I'm sincerely about to buy it regardless. This 5700XT seems to be a basic PCB reference model with a proper cooling solution. The only thing I've seen about it is from a R*ddit thread that it caps out at 67C under load but nothing about VRM's, etc. Shit I can't even find a tear down of this to see how the heatsink makes contact with the VRMs/RAM modules.

Attached: Powercolor5700XT.png (1241x577, 288K)

Is 5700 XT a good card for 1440p 144Hz? If not what should I go for?

I'm curious about this too as it's the only non-blower model available for me

yes, easily the best price:performance for good 1440p high refresh gaming. If for whatever reason you can't get one, a 2070 Super will be around the same performance (maybe just a tiny bit better) but $130+ more expensive.

>no idea what the game is doing but something looks fucked
PUBG in a nutshell (notorious for performance problems), and the unfortunate state of most 3D indie games.

it's good but 1440p 144hz is a hard target if you mean ultra settings on AAA games, only the 2080 ti can do that and even then the 2080 ti can't do every game ultra 1440p 144hz

any idea if the ryzen platform has something similar to phenoms power states? i want to go below the default clocks from the os

>it caps out at 67C under load
edge or junction?

Is the 3600X worth getting over the 3600? Microcenter has the 3600 for $190 or the 3600X for $240. Is the stock cooler change (from wraith stealth to wraith spire) and upped stock clock speed worth the $50?

no idea. It was some random nobody giving their personal experience with it and they were definitely someone who doesn't really know what they're doing. Only enough to read MSI Afterburner.

personally i'd say no
you can get a pretty fucking good custom cooler for these 50$ that'll blow out of the water the stock 3600x cooler

No, although you might want a quieter cooler than stock for a 3600

True enough. I know Ryzen doesn't overclock well if at all, so I thought the 200MHz clock difference may be worth it.

it is the better binned chip but im pretty sure anyone should go for the 3600 and a good aftermarket cooler
i wouldnt get the 3600 over 3600x but that doesnt apply to the 3800x over 3700x, the 3800x is a top tier chip

Any change of there being a 3000 series Threadripper that supports 8 ram sticks and doesn't cost too much over 1k

It doesn't really matter in terms of performance or such, but Windows during upgrades sometimes fucks the bootloader and in the worst case scenario may even decide to make a small recovery partition for itself or some shit, in which case it will possibly hose your Linux install by removing its partition. This has happened before to me personally, though it was years ago and I don't know whether MS fixed their shit or not since then.

Basically what I'm saying is that you should have Linux on a separate device from your Windows install. That should keep it from fucking anything up when it upgrades. If you want to be extra safe, you can even unplug your Linux device when upgrading Windows.

I would not think the clock speed is worth it, really. IIRC the difference in games is in the low single-digit % range. 3600 is in a very nice place as far as price/performance goes. My friend just bought one and he said that with the stock cooler his 3600 shot up to 93C in Prime95, so it's not really enough for a torture test type of load. Should probably do fine in daily shit and games since those tasks aren't as intense. From a price/performance point of view a 3600 with a stock cooler will definitely win out.

I mean, I don't think the image is doctored (is it?), but all it shows is that something is fucked with PUBG rather than giving any real information about the CPUs. Besides, I remember seeing some Ryzen 3000 PUBG benchmarks and it was running well.

>RYZEN shilling thread

this post was made by the same guy filling the comments of every review site accusing them of being amd shills right now

>horizontal fins
don't

most “people” here are poor third worlders

Why do you think the 3800x is with the extra money? I was thinking it wasn’t worth it

what does fin orientation have to do with anything?

I was born with an 8 figure net worth and went to oxford

>I don't think the image is doctored (is it?)
Of course not

>that something is fucked with PUBG rather than giving any real information about the CPUs
It shows that PUBG has run significantly better on on Intel CPUs over the majority of its lifetime. Recently there might have been performance improvements on Ryzen (in fact there probably have been, considering AMD was touting performance parity _for a reason_ with the launch of Zen 2).

Attached: PUBG CPU 1080p Ultra Medium Very Low-min.png (1928x3260, 702K)

not him but horizontal fin layout has a lowered surface on the edge of the gpu (only on the small sides of the gpu instead of the large sides with vertical layout) to evacuate the hot air pushed in by the fans

siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

cooling, you fucking retard

what issues?
USB3 installation? Mouse not working during windows install?
Give me your motherboard name

oh OK I didn't even look for that. Didn't know that's something to look for.
OK cunt
So the fuck do I do now? This is one of the only non reference models out there that isn't shit and is in stock. The fucking MSI Evoke OC is always in stock but apparently according to reviews, the thermal pads don't properly cover the board.

Anyone have experience with gigabyte or msi customer service?

I cant decide between the msi 2070s trio or thw aorus 2070s from gigabyte.

Gigabye has a much better performance and also cheaper.

Attached: 1560482410124.jpg (640x680, 297K)

wew, I suggest you worry about your memory and VRM getting toasty

Yea that seems to be the complaint of every single 5700XT model that isn't the Sapphire pulse/red devil. I'm so sick of this shit. I'm about to get a fucking 2070S. Fuck AMD and their stock problems. "Just wait" isn't working for me.

I know from experience that Gigabyte has an advance replacement RMA, meaning they send you a replacement immediately on approval of RMA

....this sounds like a shill post.
I mean it's plausible you feel this way, but I have been seeing posts exactly like this a lot recently, so it almost feels like somebody is trying to push a meme.

I'm and Call me a shill or what have you but this is the reality for people who work for a living. The only 5700XT's in stock are fucking TRASH. Either I get a 2070S for $540 or a reference 5700XT for $400 and an aftermarket GPU cooler for $65. I don't know what the fuck I'm going to do.

>people wait from 7/7 to now 9/10 and still not a single non-dogshit card available to purchase
Are you autistic?

but you waited what 8 months since RTX release and what....how many years since 1080ti.
If you are willing to wait that long, why do you have trouble waiting another 2months, or 6, or 12?

Help me bros, I need something in particular
I need a capture card but not for external sources but for what I am doing, not record a PS4 or else
I do not want to use my GPU or CPU for benchmark purposes since I use a weird setup
I cannot use (I think) another GPU (Tried with a X1650 W10 did not detect a second GPU)

What solution there is? I want 1080p/60FPS at least and use OBS to record so I can dedicate the capture card to it
The machine has only PCIE 16X ports

Attached: elon.jpg (851x810, 83K)

Do you gayme? 3600
Do you produce? 3700x

No intelligent person is buying Intel in the current year

Attached: 1568147133937.png (804x818, 459K)

When the frick are the good 5700XT models going to be back in stock? All that's left is blower models

Attached: 1566532136341.png (221x237, 108K)

because I was waiting multiple times.
>Don't buy Ryzen 14nm, 12nm will have all the fixes and better clocks
>12nm launches
>omg it's just a refresh, not even worth it. Intel still stomps it! 7nm though, that will be the game changer! Just wait for 7nm
>7nm launches and it's actually worth getting
GPU
>RX 4xx not worth getting compared to my current R9 290X
>RX 5xx is literally just a rebrand with slightly better clockss
>Vega 56 and 64 suffered from the same stock issues and being pricey as fuck because of HBM based memory
>Then when stock finally catches up, still have to deal with problems of under volting and other such tweaks to get the most out of the card
>Just wait for Navi!
>Navi launches with like 2 models worth fucking buying
>Just wait for BIG Navi!

It's all so tiresome. My current build is a fucking i5-2500k and radeon R9-290X 4GB with no adaptive sync monitor.

just get a 2080ti

>produce
produce what? eggs?

But they're $1500 CND

Attached: 1567633927366.gif (200x200, 3.46M)

check out any review for those mobos that include thermals, but a good rule of thumb is x470>x370 since on average the x470 boards tended to be superior in every aspect, especially in VRM designs.

>7nm launches and it's actually worth getting
while it is indeed worth buying due to price/performance.

It's a sad state that they still can't compete with intel single core performance, despite being on 7nm when intel is on 14nm for the 5th year

>No intelligent server admins
FTFY. DDIO is only enabled by default on E5s and E7s

@72686992
(You)

Under what circumstance would you need to apply different thermal paste to a ryzen 7 2700x stock cooler (wraith prism)?