Optical drives

>2019
>I am forgotten

Attached: optical.jpg (640x480, 13K)

Never forget that there is software out there that exists only on copy protected optical media and will never ever be able to be dumped

when was the last time you used an optical drive?

Reinstalling OS on an old laptop 3 months ago.

It's sitting on my shelf along with a USB to SATA adapter just in case

A couple of days ago.

No there isn't

>copy protected optical media
copy protection such as?
there's no way to prevent me from reading the disc without making the disc useless in the first place, and once read and saved it's only a matter of time any form of copy protection or drm is broken

I just used my DVD drive this year to install my Debian Image onto a Hard Drive.
Also to get some drivers from a wifi card off of a disk.

Every once in awhile, its good to have something lying around because you never know you need it. Just like floppy disks for awhile had their use after the face. Eventually they will become completely obsolete, but as long as people still package music, drivers, etc in CD's along with the product, they will still have a use.

Literally today, backing up some stuff.

>Just like floppy disks
I still use them. I have a couple of old machines with only floppy drives.

a week ago, it's good for backups

I use it most of the time to play red book CD's

But it's what I use to rip my music cds

same, buying used cds for £1 is great

Why do almost all my old optical drives can't read any CD/DVD any more? Do they deteriorate over time or what? I cleaned the laser lens with alcohol and still nothing.

Three years ago. I can just dd a loonix iso onto one of my usb flash drives. Works much faster as well.

You can download in lossless for free though.

some music is harder to find in lossless than it is to find the cd cheap and rip it though

For sure. I don't think CD/DVD/Blu-Ray will ever "dissapear" its just I meant companies stopped packaging anything with floppy disks in them.
I assume the same will happen with discs. Comapnies will stop packaging discs with things, so it will be like "floppies" in the sense they are "obsolete" but the medium will still be around to use for anybody who wants to. I mean, you cant destroy/get rid of floppies or discs, they will always have their users. But corporations/businesses will stop using them for the consumer market

Pioneer is the best brand.

I use it to watch anime on DVD or BD so last weekend.

I unironically have my ODD running right now to rip all of my PS2 discs.

I still got some older PC's that won't boot from USB.

Are you running an SMB server for them or emulating?

If you don’t still use physical media, you’re a fucking slave.

Attached: D8893CE4-4700-4C63-A77F-89145DEA118C.jpg (208x243, 13K)

A couple weeks ago when Windows spazzed out and wouldn't connect to the internet anymore and threw driver errors for all sorts of ports and I had to manually reinstall the drivers from the motherboard CD.

The laser lens can go out of calibration or become unable to adjust anymore. At that point the laser becomes useless and the drive can't see anything.

Nothing yet, probably just going to emulate

A month ago, to create a CD with a Windows XP install which I installed on an older machine. Probably this week I'll create a DVD to install Linux Mint on another old laptop. Kill yourself zoomer faggot

A week ago, installed Windows Vista on an old laptop and burned some CDs

optical media isn't going anywhere until you can purchase drm-free lossless music and and hq video online

Some days ago. Ripped some FLACs

mini bluray when?

Just need to combine BDXL density in that formfactor. (adds more stamped layers vertically)

Attached: minibluray.jpg (500x375, 30K)

Last week if you count the one in my PS4. About six months ago for a PC one, when I bought and ripped a DVD because the movie I wanted to watch wasn't available anywhere.

technically not correct: you can use clonecd on Windows 98 to make a perfect image of a CDROM and then you can use that image on Windows 98 and it will work as a image

but you cannot get rid of Windows 98, it is mandatory for continuing use of such protected softwares

but you CAN ditch the CDs

>7.8 GB

Nice reading comprehension..

>"Just need to combine BDXL density in that formfactor. (adds more stamped layers vertically)"

DBXL has over 100GB

>Was forgotten in 2014

>copy protection
Is this 2007? No matter how hard they try, copying the contents of a disc, bit by bit, cannot be prevented via software alone. Every so-called copy protection mechanism has been broken. No matter how "sophisticated" a particular implementation is, it's still a fundamentally flawed approach, like antivirus software.

5 years ago I believe.

Which movie was that? Is it that rare?

A couple days ago when I ripped some Blu-Rays that I just bought.

Every OS installation, running Hiren's, Parted Magic.

Dude I still use these. My fucking daughter still uses them.

Well over a decade ago. My gaming laptop didn't even come with an optical drive. I don't even miss them.

Disc drives won't be obsolete or obscure for so long as emulation and pirate communes exist, idiot. Meaning it won't be forgotten for at least 25~30 years more.

>when was the last time you used an optical drive?
20mins ago. bluray. 25gb a disc.

>Never forget that there is software out there that exists only on copy protected optical media and will never ever be able to be dumped
interesting. such as?
>>copy protection
>Is this 2007?
new music CDs still appear with copy protections

Why didn't you boot from usb or Ethernet? Would have been so much quicker

Shun Li and the Poet

It's not hugely rare or anything, but the only public torrents were long-dead and it hasn't gotten a Blu-ray release, so I just bought the DVD. Good film too.

Today, put mother's favourite animoo bd on while she was sick.

Which one do you choose? Any real differences?

Attached: dvd-r-vs-dvd+r.jpg (457x219, 21K)

i have one on my bulid

MDISC is the only way to properly backup data

>Any real differences?

Inscriptible, Grabable, Recordable

>real differences?

DVD+R is always better than DVD-R

In what way?

+ is bigger than -
alyways

The organic dyes in recordable media go bad with time and heat, becoming unreadable in two to five years (or a day, if you leave them baking in direct sunlight).
-RW media does not degrade the same way

would you rather be aids + or -?
there's your answer

I have an external blu-ray drive I use occasionally, last time to rip my Alita blu-ray. I also have a DVD R/W drive in case a customer needs their music on a CD for whatever reason. They're handy to keep around.

Good. Optical laser shit media is the worst. Fucking unreliable shit. That is, as a smoker, they reliably refuse to read, or mind you, burn shit after a good week or so.
I'm also pretty sure they used to make them much better/more robust in this regard ages ago. Those drives you can by for a few bucks are worth jackshit. What kind of lasers do they even put in these things? Barbie lasers? Holy shit. Fucking trash.

Attached: a43m5agin.jpg (580x437, 49K)

What is that, pa?

Attached: millennial.jpg (259x194, 9K)

Some real old DVD (late '90s) set top players might not like one or the other. I've never had any problems with actual PC drives.

>as a smoker, they reliably refuse to read, or mind you, burn shit after a good week or so
Retard. Stop smoking 4 packs a day.

do you use it an an ash tray?
how are you not simply still using the one you bought 15 years ago like everyone else?

ordered one of those a few days ago for my new build
initially i thought that i wouldn't need one but turns out i do

>optical
>good for backups

Attached: you-dense-motherfucker.jpg (888x737, 239K)

daily reminder buying bluray discs in bulk is still a cheaper storage solution than hard drives

How much do they even cost nowadays?

Is this peak zoomerdom?

>WAAAAAAH IT'S SHIT BECAUSE IT BREAK WHEN I USE IT AS AN ASHTRAY
Fellow smoker here, maybe you should stop exhaling directly into your electronics. I've never had a single drive die on me.
>backup shit on optical disc
>keep it stored in dark place and always in a case
>still works
Not the medium's fault you're retarded in preserving shit.

two days ago for the first time in 3 months

peak website aesthetic

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-11 CD Media World - 99 Minutes CD-R.png (781x1889, 131K)

2 Months ago to try and install drivers on an ancient pc.

>good for backups
>not buying cheap af blurays for storing photos on long term

Attached: 1558145904184.jpg (817x790, 72K)

How much power does an idle DVD-ROM Drive consume?

Still the best method for installing an OS, i've almost never had issues with booting from them. I still have a book of install and maintenance CDs for my servers.

Last week. Burned a new mix CD for the car.

Attached: 1528248595931.png (380x349, 77K)

True. Blu Ray drives are better

maybe three four years ago idk. USB sticks and sd cards are superior. I would never buy a laptop with an optical drive for example.

Ripping tracks to test mixes on various radios and appliances around the house

>as a smoker
pls just literally kill youself

for my own use, literally 4-5 years ago
haven't owned an OD in that long and not once have I missed it

Yesterday.

Based.

I'm tempted to burn a 6 - 8 discs for my vehicle, now that it's illegal to touch your phone in MN. I have found it irritating I can't even skip past songs without the risk of a goddamn ticket.

def not no. I have a UHD capable drive that I rip 4k blu-rays with. I also still buy audio CD's.

A week ago. I was ripping family guy dvds.

last week

Still have a BD-RE drive in my server for ripping BDs and CDs. Could use it for off-site backups too if I could be bothered.

I still use one, it's not bluray (yet to ever adopt bluray) but I still use one, for my dvd collection (dont have tv player)

a sony SACD player is the main source for my 10K audio system

I only have used my blue ray drive to play diablo 2 and Jurassic park operation genesis. Cant say I've done anything else with it. Sorta strange I made sure to include one in my budget and yet I've basically never used it. Next build will be without

Something about the tracks are easier to follow for the drive, more reliable. Down side it that really old drives don't support it. I only trust in DVD+R for personal storage. Besides BD-R HTL.

Around 2012 judging from what was in the last DVDs I burned. I've never owned a single bluray disc either, they were pointless from the moment they came out.

What's not physical about a hard drive?

I still use BluRays for data storage. I have my own little catalog, and I love it. Fuck you, OP!