Why don't libre-fags build their own car

Modern car is just as bad, if not worse than Windows/Mac

Attached: GNU_car.jpg (576x382, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

inhabitat.com/chinese-man-builds-working-electric-car-from-wood/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You know, you can just drive an older car to not have it connect to the internet 24/7

Older car is still not open source

You have to go back to the 70s to get a fully analog car. Electric ignition started to become a thing in the mid 70s

Which part?

Actually, it pretty much is, because almost all designs from the 80s are out of patent.

Yes Linux fags love to suck dick

There's a few examples.

Attached: 1920px-Rally_Fighter_Local_Motors_1.jpg (1920x1280, 463K)

GNU/Car unironically seem based af.
Would deffo use.

Attached: f3qiqxwbjl631.png (657x527, 12K)

>gnu/car
You know that it would be trash.
An open source car without gnusterbators would be bretty cool though
see

At least the police can’t turn it off and track you down to arrest you when they make wrongthink an actual crime in California.

Why don't the free software movement encourage people to use motorcycles?
Pros:
- Looks cool
- Kamen raider uses motorcycle
- Minimal electronic component
- Parts are more replaceable/interchangeable, e.g., the "Linux way"
- You can easily go back to 2012 and get a bike with no computer chip on it. Motorcycles have no bell/whistles to distract you

Attached: 2017-bmw-motorcycle-prices-announced-1.jpg (1441x1080, 136K)

The problem with open source is that as no one have an obligation to do anything, everyone goes for the fun part.
Everyone wants to do the innovative raytracer or the novel UV unwrapper.
But boring shit like GUI is something not many people do, so you end up with software with amazing features but horrid GUI.

In the case of a car, i don't think there is any part as boring on it.

dude if someone lets you have a car design that you can fairly easily and cheaply build yourself, you can bet your ass I'm going to get it over a regular car

It goes so much further than that bro.

> Determine quality of fuel you just bought by monitoring short-term fuel trim

> Accurate measurements for fuel consumption at different places on your drive

> GPS tracking that only you and other trusted users can access

> Headphone jack AND Bluetooth

> Actually ECU is just a 12v Raspeberry Pi-like thing that runs OpenBSD.

You don't have to build the chassis to make an open-source car. You just have to replace the ECU (which is usually illegal, which is why i don't do it, but in the US you could).

Doesn't gnu just rebadge all the shit they can these days?

can't get groceries and take them home tho

Not really.
They just literally do what's fun and it fucking shows.
From emulators, to blender, to linux, to painting programs, to audio programs, the story is always the same:
Shit GUI, great features, tiny filesize.

GIMP is unironically, literally more intuitive than Photoshop what are you talking about

Apple and Microsot we dont want to pay so we steal from others we have done that since that day we stole from xerox parc

Probably the best example of a GNU/Car is the Lotus 7, or Clubmans in general.
>Can easily make your own either from a kit (Arch) or from bare metal (Gentoo)
>Lots of manufacturers (distributions) available
>Strong aftermarket of both homemade and commercial parts

Pic related: a Caterham 7, the Red Hat of Clubmans.

Attached: images (50).jpg (678x452, 33K)

too bad you'd die if you were to get in an accident. fuck safety, amirite

>They just literally do what's fun and it fucking shows.
That's the impression that I got when reading about trannyboots personal problems while using icecat on my experimental Hurd kernel build that wasn't at all copied from somewhere else.

Maybe you'd be safer if you stopped looking at your phone while you drive, Rebecca.

maybe i'd be safer if everyone else around me stopped looking at their phones, Bryan.

Maybe everyone should adopt the gnu+phone in which nothing works which in turn would make everyone safer, or gnu+safer.

This, grocery getting would be a lot more difficult.

How is that less safe than a motorcycle

Wouldn't that be a kit car?

See that thing behind his head?

>lose the protection of a car
>wind in your face, makes you go deaf after a while
>gets stolen easier
>cant carry large shit
>max 2 passengers
>have to wear protective gear that makes you sweat like hell otherwise you can scrap off your entire elbow if you get in an accident
yeah, no thanks, ill stick with cars

I think kit cars are really difficult to get road-legal in many countries outside the US. Not to mention you'll constantly get pulled over to provide your papers.

Motorbikes have ejecto seats

>Go deaf
Wear earplugs faggot. And modern gear has lots of ventilation, it's actually quite comfy as long as you aren't stuck at a red light for 20mins at a time.

>lose the protection of a car
User error. Millions of people use motorcycles everyday
>wind in your face, makes you go deaf after a while
Wind in your face is great. You don't need a faggot Harley that makes you deaf. A 150cc motorcycle is more than enough for 90% of your needs.
>gets stolen easier
Not really, you can have a wheel lock so the wheel doesn't turn.
>cant carry large shit
And thats a good thing
>max 2 passengers
And thats a good thing. Girls need to hug you to not fly off to the road.
>>have to wear protective gear that makes you sweat like hell otherwise you can scrap off your entire elbow if you get in an accident
The winds make you prespire and cool, it goes hand in hand

Attached: Top Motorcycle Markets in the World.png (562x478, 132K)

Sometimes the open source lazyness can get surpassed by the megacorporate robotic clunkyness, but neither will deliver a good job.

Because libretards are usually over the weight limit for a motorcycle lmao

Attached: 1373236323064.jpg (1024x768, 49K)

Boxer engines on motorcycles look so fucking aesthetic.

Fair enough, but then I can't listen to music.
User error isn't something you're magically immune to. If I ever make a mkstake I'd rather be in a car than in a motorcycle because of the extra protection. Even if you drove perfectly, other people don't so accidents would still happen. It's also easier to steal, you still havent refuted that. Just because there are some counter measures doesnt mean that it's somehow equivalent to a car in terms of difficulty to steal. Losing options is also stupid, why wouldn't I want to have the option to drive with luggage, groceries, or other such purchases? same goes for passengers, more options is better. i think youre right though on the last point although not always, should have clarified. no matter how fast you're going depending kn where you live its still going to make you sweat like a motherfucker

>It's also easier to steal, you still havent refuted that.
It is also cheaper than a car. It is not as easy to steal a motorcycle as you think. The common lock prevent the wheel from turning and motorcycles are usually chained to large post/objects.

Attached: Squire-Motolok-lock-and-chain-Sold-Secure-Gold.jpg (700x369, 102K)

where do you put the chain and lock lol

Compartment underneath your seat. Dumb people think that motorcycle doesn't have a storage compartment. It can easily fit 2-3 people worth of weekly grocery in normal sized one

Attached: Motorcycle_trunk.jpg (800x800, 110K)

Sorry, boomie, but having cruise control and a headrest is nice.

All I see is an angle grinder and a stolen bike.

Up your cute little asshole faggot

>stolen bike
But then pole falls over. Bike was securing pole all along.

can't cuz then it'd get in the way of my buttplug =(

that's pretty nifty. might just get a bike as long as i'm able to get around and transport some groceries.

>might just get a bike
Just watch out for everything (because nobody will watch out for you), and stay way behind cars.

>Has only just learned about under-seat storage
Tailbags and backpacks are going to blow your mind.

What shit hole do you live in where you can't modify your ecu? The only requirement should be is it you have to pass emissions in your area and you remove the catalytic converter or your change in ecu results in not meeting emission standards, but that's not even illegal, just wouldn't pass emissions.

Car guys are essentially libre fags of car users. You can get "stand alone engine management" which is how a lot of engine swapped cars or custom big turbo builds are used because the stock ecu/engine mapping would obviously not work. So you can easily bypass it by using standalone engine management, and they're either analog or just a basic equivalent to an sbc that allows you to upload your own mapping. Then you can just rip out any tracking shit like OnStar or the likes if that's separate from the main ecu. Now you have successfully de-botnetted car.

Should I mention motorcycle trailers, and sidecars?

And this is what I'd want. A pure analog car. Imagine a new automaker entering the field and figuring out a way to produce these new and legal for sale. Pure sex.
And it would be hugely disruptive, because it would reveal some important things about consumers' actual preferences. A lot of us don't want the latest plasti-electric botnetted trash car. We would pay a premium for a well-built machine.

Something tells me you don't have any idea what the general public wants and how to have a successful business.

jesus christ it's a perfect sphere

Because the epa hates carbirators aka open. Source cars. They want you to use proprietary cars which use proprietary ecu and other compuzzlers.

Are you not aware one of the reasons EFI became a thing in the first place?
EFI, while a more complex system has proven to be more reliable when you don't expect much or any maintenance or adjustment from the end user
It also ends up being much more driveable being able to adjust to ambient conditions

Also in addition to reliability it gives you moar powah and better fuel economy
>he still believes in mechanical valve control

Depends on how analog you want to get it. If you go full analog, then starting a car itself is a problem because internal combustion engine is temperature dependent. Have you ever tried to start a lawnmower in the winter? Starting a car would be as much pain as that.

They do, it's called a kit car.
If you mean why don't they make a mass-marketable one, it's because government regulations make cars way too expensive to legally mass produce these days.

All cars in the us require a bunch of electronic shit, like reverse view cameras

Gimp is terrible, I've never seen Photoshop tier quality produced with it ever

>gnu
>tiny filesize.
i want you to statically link a hello world program using glibc, then inspecting it with objdump, the amount of useless shit is inane. the file size will be 800kb if you go for the k&r ansi c's first example.

Retard. If you can get repair manuals for it, and you can work on it yourself - it might as well be. Cars != computers.
Saw a 40-something ford for sale in my area a few months ago. Just about came.

I weigh 120 pounds you fucking retard
t. libretard.

Use a trashed car and clean it out, replace with homebuilt electric? it's been done.

>REQUIRE
>reverse view cameras
>t. retard who has never been to america

>Gimp is terrible
>t. someone who's never used gimp

What a fucking shit thread.

Attached: sage.jpg (240x225, 9K)

They have:
inhabitat.com/chinese-man-builds-working-electric-car-from-wood/