Why isn't it mainstream yet?

Why isn't it mainstream yet?

Attached: 1556477330321.png (617x727, 130K)

Can't play japanese gaymes

[n word]

Too many distros

well as someone who doesnt use linux, here are my reasons:
>seems hard to use and confusing. like it seems like people have to use the command line a lot? most people dont want to do that
>seems like most or a lot of programs arent available in linux. when i download a program i like to know i can always use it and not have to wonder if it can be run on linux or hope they make a linux version
>confusion over what is the best or most well run distributions
I would probably use linux if I know I was guaranteed to just easily start and run it, and use whatever program I want, like i can do in windows

The vast majority of people are confused by and afraid of computers, and would never dare to try something like changing to a different OS

>Relies on CLI instead of GUI
>Not the default OS
>Not much proprietary software
>Decentralized (distros, DEs, etc are too confusing for the average normie)
I wish it were though.

Nobody knows that AMD cards get more performance on linux than on windows. In every single case.

Attached: 1502939593640.jpg (1280x720, 145K)

Lack of exposure. My tech illiterate friend didn’t have any issues with installing Ubuntu for the first time.

most people have no fucking clue what it even is. its not like they advertise

To free

it's a server OS not a desktop OS and should and will remain that way
you cannot sit a noob infront of it and have them be able to use it without massive confusion
if it was like OS X, well then it would be ok because it's for noobs
until people recognize this it's going nowhere and has had this same problem for years and years

It can tho,over 85% of games run on linux,and out of the 15% left,most are just anticheat being a bitch.

it not allow to play modern games, especially with online requirement, like MMOs
it not only directx, it should support anticheat.

Its anticheat not supporting linux and not linux supporting anticheat,and most games still work on linux.

it would be more mainstream if there was an almost universally agreed upon distro

It is mainstream, it's on 80% of phones

once its mainstream we all move to bsd, rinse and repeat

Not enough manufacturers offer it as an option.

It is, just not in the home desktop market because most people are too dumb to know how to install a new OS and most systems come with it.
I work setting up servers and dev systems for clustering, a lot of people use it or apple base systems (for some indeterminable reason, you would think someone that can write code could use ubuntu in a professional way) in the development world unless they're building specifically for windows.

Android is the most popular OS in the world

>seems hard to use and confusing.
As long as you don't use some hardcore distro, it's not harder than Windows these days. If anything, I find it more user-friendly.
>a lot of programs arent available in linux.
That's true. But at least there are free alternatives for most things.
>confusion over what is the best or most well run distributions
Newbie-friendly distros: Mint, Lite, Elementary, Solus. Have fun.

Also, a cool thing about Linux is that you can try it (most distros at least) as live media, without installing.

Attached: 1564988217747.png (750x1000, 149K)

Linux is very mainstream now

When all computers come with windows and there is no problem and everything already works fine, there need to be really compelling incentives before anyone change to something new and possibly less working and certainly less gaming.

Normalfriends don't like choice.

Apple & windows are successful precisely because they're so inflexible

Wtf are you talking about? Every single distro is for servers? Have you even tried. a desktop distro. Go to DistroWatch or some such and look around. Some are easier use than Windows. Windows Updates alone is a good reason to kick MS to the curb. People are too chickenshit or arrogant to try new things so fuck'em. A lot of us don't give a fuck whether it goes "mainstream or not. I got enough to do to just plug all the holes and fix all the updates on my customers Windows machines. I try to tell them to try something new by using a Live flashdrive but they're just too lazy or chickenshit to even try. Fuck'em, let get reamed by MS and social media.

No major desktop or laptop vendor ships it as their primary OS.
If you ship Linux on hardware known to work just fine with Linux, half of the major Linux issue is gone (eg, having to deal with hardware that only mostly works or doesn't work under it). Like, 100% gone. No video card issues with tearing or only running in 16-bit color or whatever, no wifi issues like it connecting and then internet cuts out after ten minutes, no "my printer prints, but it absolutely refuses to print in anything but the highest quality, so it drinks ink like mad". All real shit I've seen and dealt with.
The other big issue is software, but that's entirely an issue of installed base above all else. If you need a particular vendor's program for your job, for example, the only way the vendor is even going to bother supporting Linux is if it has the marketshare to be worth the cost and effort.

you don't have software vendors shipping/supporting Linux versions of software because basically no one runs it (~3% marketshare on desktop is tiny), no one runs it because there's no software, and the cycle is pretty rough
you don't have hardware vendors pushing Linux machines because no one really cares since for their customers, Windows runs all their software

>commandline
at no point in a stock Ubuntu install do you actually require the command line for anything
at all
>programs aren't available
yeah, that's been the case for not-Windows operating systems since 95
>best distro
in terms of being dead simple for an ordinary, non-technical user, Ubuntu
there's other options, but they're basically irrelevant to someone going in who doesn't know anything about Linux

Pretty much every server, supercomputer, cluster, and bitcoin farm is running on lignux. Streaming devices are almost exclusively running on lignux. Ereaders? Lignux. Android devices? Lignux. ChromeOS? Lignux (albeit severely locked down). DVR security systems? Lignux. POS systems? Increasingly using lignux-based OSes. Windows? Now ships with lignux in a VM. Refrigerators? Lignux. "Smart" TVs? Lignux.

The consumer class craves gadgets, not systems.

"When all computers come with windows and there is no problem......" Machines with Windows ARE the problem. I can make Windows do whatever the fuck I want but my clients, not so much.
"and everything already works fine" after I fix it and before the next update. MS uses it's home/SOHO users for beta testers to get updates ready for their enterprise customers. Not that I'm complaining, easy money for me (most of the time) but it always amuses me how big of chumps people are. You try to show them how they're getting fucked in the ass and instaed of getting mad at the buttfuckers that reaming them, they get mad at the ones that try to help them. Fuck'em. I takes their money and I walks away. Let'em figure it out on their own. I gave up trying to educate chumps!

Because you touch yourself to animated representations of underage girls

Most DVR security systems run Windows. But the rest of your examples are at the very least technically correct

Because of dependency hell, distro diffrences, and forcing to use terminal.

AFAIK, from working at two mid-range DVR security system providers, the systems that are purchased by large corporations mostly run RHEL-derived GNU / Linux OSes. Consumer DVR security systems are a whole different ballgame.

The best kind of correct.

I'm reading this on my consumer phone using a Linux kernel.

Shit has gone mainstream 10 years ago. It's not mainstream on desktop. Even at my workplace we have Windows workstation but work in Linux. I just have my vscode ssh into a Linux environment for testing and development.

Because it's shit.

>Pretty much every server
Nope. Only your flatpak'd webservers.
Servers that actually do real work tend to run Windows.

Most people can't install an OS, any OS. Nor do they know a lot about computers, much less the fine details of various OS's. Thus, they strongly tend to use whatever OS came with their machine.

>Implying that Microsoft azure has the highest market share in server infrastructure.

Why isn't Linux mainstream? Well that's easy enough to answer, it's mostly package managers and repos. Normal people don't do that shit. Also using the command line to install anything, normal people don't do that shit either.
What normal people do is download shit from websites. Or in the case of older/legacy software they install it from DVD or CD.
The entire package manager things is wierd and they don't understand. And touching the terminal for any reason means the system is not functioning properly.
That's part of it anyway, the other part is 'where is the add/remove software'? Yeah that's a fucking major normie concern. And don't say use the package manager or the software manager as weve already discussed that those are wierd/should not exist.
Also a billion fucking distros. Not only does this make choosing a Linux os a nightmare (did I pick the right one?) But it affects software installation both through repos and the rare downloads (is this the right version?) And further complicates those obnoxious copy/paste to terminal instructions (with different versions you have greater chance and fear of fucking it up).
So yeah while they COULD use Linux...why would they when installing software is such a pain on the ass?

>I have an unreasonable, shitty opinion. If I repeat it several times it will look like an argument

I use it daily as a hypervisor and for docker stuff.

Ok then let's hear your counter, if you have one.

>counter
To what? To an unreasonable opinion? If you supply arguments, I will think about it.

I use it exclusively to hack noobs in FortCraft

Attached: video-190910-1258-57.webm (1600x900, 1.14M)

If it's any consolation to your little butthurt bitch self, flatpacks and snaps and shit are finally solving the normie problem on Linux. Give it a few years. When software is installed on Linux as easily as it is on windows or OSX/macOS normies will use it more.
Fuck they already use it more now than they did several years ago.

People use whatever comes preinstalled on their machines.
If Debian came preinstalled with their laptop, people would use Debian. They don't even know what an OS is

Well I see you don't want to discuss anything and are simply after (yous).

Attached: _you_1536275226454.webm (1280x550, 1015K)

They wouldn't. They would say "I want it to look like it used to" despite the fact that they were as clueless about windows as they are about *nix. The theme continues when it comes to office software. People are clueless but want to stay with what they "know".

Not entirely accurate. Most know what an OS is and that it can be changed or upgraded.
But it takes pain. Something has to be horribly amiss and bring hassle or difficulty to make such an effort worth it.

>no professional art/designer software
>no professional music/producer software
>no professional video/editor software
>outdated IDE
>poor modern hardware support

To name a few, but this list can honestly go on and go on

Most people don't know the difference and don't care either, they're too busy having sex or watching Netflix or whatever the fuck it is that normalfags do

I'll switch to Linux right now if you can give tell me one thing that has function for a normal person that I can't do on Windows or Mac.

you don't want me to paste the pasta do you?

only commercial software can become mainstream and utilised by schools and workplaces in addition to homes

Attached: flanders finger up.png (442x341, 182K)

This also. I've been using Xubuntu for a couple of years now and cannot get my akai mpk2 keyboard to fucking work despite finding detailed instructions online regarding how to do so. So my main desktop remains using Windows as it's a real computer that works and my laptop is using Xubuntu and is mostly a toy to fuck around with.
There's always that ONE THING that doesn't work worth a shit on Linux...for awhile it was wireless drivers. Anyone remember ndiswrapper for wireless drivers? What a goddamned cluster fuck that shit was...

>implying that only online webservers exist
You really need to get MUH FLATPAK'D WEBSERVER out of your head.

Ubuntu bro, most consumer distros are based on ubuntu

There isn't a compelling reason for the public at large to use it over Windows.

Telemetry comes to mind. Win 10 in general kinda blows. But does it blow more than Linux? for most the answer is no it doesn't.

>Win 10 in general kinda blows. But does it blow more than Linux? for most the answer is no it doesn't.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm getting at. Telemetry is shit, but the average person doesn't know or care, or at the very least, isn't willing to compromise hardware and software compatibility for it.

What pasta?

Well when Linux software finally respects the freedom of the user it won't be so shitty.
FREEDOM FROM THE TYRANNY OF THE REPOS AND PACKAGE MANAGER!

It runs this imageboard faggot

because outside of servers it is only used by freetards instead of working people

It doesn't give any benefit over windows, why bother?

Everyone that works on servers knows Red Hat, Debian and Ubuntu.

>Why isn't it mainstream yet?

... you dont need to pay for it!