Even worse than calling programing "coding"

▶ I can't believe it's 2019 and there are people who STILL erroneously call PATA drives "IDE" drives.

>Both SATA and PATA are "integrated drive electronics" (IDE) devices, which means the controller is in the drive.
pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/50811/sata

Attached: index.jpg (430x715, 103K)

autism

I beat youre a faggot that calls it GNU/LINUX instead of just Linux

And also complains when people call it Linux

And I beat youre a faggot that pronounces it Lynn-ux.

>he doesn't pronounce it linix

Only idiots do.

> linix
> not linus

Attached: Rinus.jpg (1779x1530, 373K)

It was called IDE long before SATA was a thing. PATA is a new term that appeared after SATA was made.

That was to make people call it PATA instead of IDE, since IDE also applied to the new SATA drives. A new term needed to be used to avoid confusion: PATA.
But dumb people kept thinking that IDE was a controller only on PATA drives and not SATA, so they kept calling PATA drives IDE, also because they're retards.

Why is the compatibility mode that makes SATA act like PATA so you can run an old OS, called "IDE"?

To prevent t from using AHCI mode, since older machines can't work with it.

based

Literally who gives a fuck, it's an obsolete form factor and standard.
Last time I went looking for PATA drives was 2010, for fucks sake.

i don't feel like using my brain today.

Attached: when-you-change-your-sleeping-position-because-you-feel-uncomfortable.png (300x359, 42K)

My point was why call the mode IDE if both the new and old drives are IDE? It would be kind of like if Windows 10 added a mode that improves compatibility with old programs and called it Windows compatible mode. Unless of course IDE refers to the old drives like how everyone always used the term.

But IDE mode is not used to simulate "old" drives. The mode is there to use that control method and not AHCI. A SATA drive can do both, so that's why there's the option.

The y can still be pronounced both ways idiot

>linus
>not loonigs

this

I call them IDE even though I know better. Fight me.

>which means the controller is in the drive.
then what's an onboard IDE controller, or an IDE controller card