G can never solve this, and this is why g will never make it

Attached: TWO+ENVELOPE+PROBLEM.jpg (1024x576, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/s?k=envelope&ref=nb_sb_noss
github.com/search?q=two envelop problem
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Isn't that the monty hall problem but without any of the things that actually make it counter intuitive

No I don't switch

What is the point of this? It's not tech related

no, who cares

yes, you switch because of given a choice it always increases your chances of getting the one with more money

explain your thinking

so, E1 has x, E2 has 2x

Step 1: Take envelope
Step 2: Wonder if it's the 2x envelope
Step 3: Switch
Step 4: ???
Step 5:

I don't see how switching would increase my chances

can you switch twice? then i could weigh the diff

a = ?;
b = a * 2;

pick envelope x, now you have 50% of chance that you picked envelope b, by switching this falls to 25% (in total)

I immediately rip open the first envelope I see

this is simple.

I was given TWO envelopes.

I dont need to switch.

If the envelope has odd amount of money, switch
If the envelope has a small amount of money, the kind that you wouldn't care for if it halved, switch

I tell them "I want to switch. Give me the other envelop!!"
They think that i will pass them the envelop that is already in my hand, but the moment i get the second envelop, i tell them a "Fuck you" and will run like hell
Now i have both of the envelops i my hand

Attached: 1532930731519.png (1688x2000, 1.47M)

This isn't the Monty hall problem silly head. There is no third envelope that the other guy will show to be a dud. The odds of receiving the envelope with more money is always going to be 1/2.

Depends, is their enough money in the first envelope to drink myself to death ?

It really depends on a lot of things.
If you are not allowed to touch/hold the envelopes and they appear the same thickness, there is no point switching.
If it is cash, particularly notes, then you know the denominations being used then you should be able to work out which has more money by weight. If it's a cheque then there'a no point in switching.

one has a 100$ bill, the other has a 50$
how on earth could you tell?!

Then you open the envelope and it's just a piece of paper that says
>this was a test, you failed

>one has a 100$ bill, the other has a 50$
Who said that?

Possible, but I wouldn't even bother with a competition with a reward that low.

what does "indistinguishable" mean, buddy?!

Depending on how much money, you will likely be able to distinguish which envelope has more money either visually or by weight. That seems too obvious so I'd pick the one that weighs less under the assumption that it has higher value bills. You could factor that in by being able to tell whether or not one envelope contains more money than the other by a factor of 2. It it's anything but twice as full, chances are the lower capacity one would have the higher amount

Choose one, take money out of envelope, switch the other envelope, take its money.

Not prohibited by any rule and results in most money gains.

its like monty hall with no conditional probability. so no benefit from switching.

I fucking use the sense of touch which apparently Americans frogot to have and figure out which one is fuller before choosing it.

>Two envelope problem
Two envelopes* problem

The text says I'm given two envelopes.
Since I'm already holding on both there's no reason for me not to walk out and open both.

my thinking as well.

let me spell it out for you idiots

without a switch its simply 50:50 or lets say 1/2 either you pick the lower money envelope or you dont

however with a choice you get another 50:50 chance of picking the lower money envelope
so that means you get TWO chances which can be simplified down to 1/2 X 1/2 which gives us 1/4 chance of picking the envelope with less money

so you should always switch as this gives you 3/4 chances of getting more money vs 1/2 with not switching

3/4 chances of getting less money*

no the chance of getting less money is 1/4

Npc parroting not stopping even for a second to think

The envelopes being indistinguishable means that they contain the exact same quantity of bills, but in different denominations. Thus, figure out if it possible to receive half as much money using some combination of valid denominations, and if it is possible to have twice as much. If I received all 100s, then logically the other envelope must be all 50s.

A linear programming solver should be able to tell if it's possible to produce the 1/2 or double envelope.

No, no it isn't. You have 0.5 chance of earning $x, and 0.5 chance of earning $2x, and revealing what's in one envelope doesn't reveal which one is which. We also don't have a hard rule requiring the bad choice to be revealed to us if possible. There's no similarity to Monty other than the option to switch.

the choices are not independent, u tard.

A - less money
B - more money

Less money variants: (50 %)
Pick A, don't switch
Pick B, switch

More money variants: (50 %)
Pick A, switch
Pick B, don't switch

Set a baseline for "acceptable" amount.
If envelope has enough, don't switch.
If it does not, switch.

Why?

>not believing your intuition
Fuck no, I'm not gonna switch.

>you're allowed to switch and pick
Not a single word about opening them so
>pick both
>open them
>decide not to switch
>????
>profit
Punch the faggots supervising the test on your way out

This.

You gain nothing from not switching, but having the knowledge of the content of one gives you some meta advantage.

If you have three options there is a 66.6% chance that you choose wrong, so if one option is taken away it is beneficial for you to switch.
If there are only two options it is always a 50/50 chance, so whether or not you switch really doesn't matter.

Attached: 3ec8969edd1ad1380b2ef2f2a34fea1a.jpg (1000x750, 359K)

what's the downside tho? in either situation you still get some money, and if you are really lucky you will get more money,
its not like wrongly switching envelope would kill my mom in my sleep.
I will take whatever I get and fuck right off, and as for switching I will just flip a coin

Attached: 1544036862595.png (227x186, 19K)

take your meds

Sounds like one of those autism tests in disguise, and judging by replies it worked

the only correct answer.

In the end i can only test one envelope so it is always one out of two. it is a retard test some people know how to apply rules they learned but don't have commonsense.

The problem here is that the setup is unclear, but you can make some plausible assumptions.

If after I am picking it "I am allowed to switch", it could imply that someone wants me to pick the one with less money. That is assuming that the designer of the setup has an incentive to "save money".

So you should not switch to increase your chances of getting the envelope with more money.

You have chance of losing half of doubling up, of course you switch
>a fucking gambling equation is somehow tech related

if you have trouble to see the correct answer
you have 4 options

1. pick A
2. pick B
3. pick A then switch To B
4. pick B then switch To A

do you really think

1. and 4.
2. and 3.
yields to different result?

for a coin flip it is [A,B] it is 50:50 or 2 picks one is correct.

for the switch it is 4 picks and two are correct!

what is an envelope

amazon.com/s?k=envelope&ref=nb_sb_noss

its when a girls cunny envelopes your little dick

three boxes
two balls
you pick ball
what is the chance

solve this g!

it's envelops you fucking spastic

2/5
or 1/1 depending on wether i can see or not

I choose to switch, because it increases GDP.
>They transfer $20 to me
>I transfer $20 back to them
>They transfer $10 to me

nobody tell the australian government otherwise our GDP may end up approaching infinity by tomorrow
our gov is a whore for anything that increases GDP

what does "indistinguishable" mean, buddy?!

>the government finds out about this game and makes you pay taxes on both envelopes anyway

>g can never solve this
because it can't be solved. there's not enough information available.
>grug have 2 rock
>rock different but look same
>how grug get rich?
>grugs tribe no solve grug problem

It will always be 50/50, regardless you switch or not.

Sure, that's one way to interpret it. But give doesn't always mean that you physically receive them.
I can give you two choices but you don't receive two physical items.

>stand to gain double the amount you just saw, so +100%
>stand to lose half of what you just saw, so -50%
>+100% -50% =50% so switch
Btw i have no statistical background and i'm just shitposting. To me this doesnt even look like a statistics problem, but a personality test, if you're more afraid of missing out on an opportunity or the posssibility of losing what you already have.

its not monty hall, because no information is revealed to you after your first pick, and you are only picking out of two items here.

>grug asks long nose tribe
>long nose puts long nose on rock
>long nose rich instead grug
>grug mad

Was about to post this, switching doesnt matter here unless its a trick question and some factor comes in where you get more information from choosing

damn son, take the money and run

R e t a r d
E
R
A
R
D

>visually
Thats the point, you basically keep one or the other. So you don't get to measure them to weight or feel.
On top of all horrid trickeries of checks/paper/coins can be involved.

You'd make a fine politician, sir.

You either get x dollars or you get 2x dollars. There is nothing to solve.

ah yea, the taxman method

ask me how i know your a phone poster

What if you were allowed to switch 10 times.

SOLVED
github.com/search?q=two envelop problem

>Jow Forums is fucking retarded
Surprising

They have to contain the same number of bills, otherwise you could tell by weight. One also has to be half of the value of the other. Therefore what you should do is pick one and then examine the bills in it. You should then switch if the bills in it are 1s, 5s, or 50s, because there is no way to have half the value of that in the same number of bills, but you can have double. If they are 2s, 20s or 100s you should stay, because there is no way to have double that in the same number of bills, but you can have half. 10s could go either way. Mixed bills you kind of just have to count them and determine whether there's a way to make half that value evenly with the same number of bills. In any event, as long as it isn't just 10s or a pile of mixed bills that could be both doubled or halved, you can tell.

>plot twist: both envelopes contain anthrax

>no information is revealed to you after your first pick
I don't actually think that's true.

lets say if you picked the lesser value one, and they told you that you picked the lesser value one, would this increase your chances of picking the right one?

If you can open and examine the chosen envelopes contents, then you could compute whether or not it's possible to have the same number of bills with double the monetary value. Otherwise, it's 50/50.

Based nigger

>one contains twice as much [money] as the other one
Easy peasy. You pick the thicker envelope.

How does this reasoning works?

Lemme get this straight. The moment it is asked you to switch you've got two chances so this makes it 25% of not picking the envelope with less money? so if it is asked 4 times and you switch every time you get a whopping 93,75% chances of having chose the envelope with more money?

Ah that's easy, I call my dear friend Zero Knowledge Boy. Zero Knowledge Boy is known in the city to always pick the right answer to tests and no one knows how he does it, but he is trusted to have some knowledge in problem solving.
So me and ZKB make an agreement that I'll give him a 10% of the envelope content but not before he finished the tests, to this, he answer that he will accept the money but only if he can give me the 90% of the total and not the other way around. So we approach the vendor and I make ZKB do the test. At the end he knew which envelope was the one with more money so accordingly we split up the parts.
win-win.

Doesn't matter If you switch or not, your chances will be 50% no matter what.
Why are you faggots even discussing this? This is obvious.

Grab both and run

Attached: 1541320213865.jpg (250x187, 5K)

>defines variables
>proceeds to not use them
Ah i remeber doing proofs. Good times

I don't need the extra money,so what I "should" do is completely up to me.I could flip a fucking coin.

2 * 0 = 0
Doesn't matter which envelope you take

What if the price is not dividable by 2?

an envelope isnt abstract like a choice is bro. Youre just mad he has two envelopes and your bitch ass took 1

In the first envelope you have $x. With 1/2 probability it's the small envelope and with 1/2 it's the large envelope.

1.) you don't swtich -> you walk away with $x
2.) you switch
a.) if the first was the small envelope then you walk away with $2x
b.) if the first was the large envelope then you walk away with $x/2
expected value: 1/2*(2x+x/2)= 5/4x

So switching has a larger expected value, so it's worth it to switch.

winrar

I don't switch because usually when I second guess myself, I usually regret it.

I really hope you regret buying that pass fag.

I really hope you regret solving captchas all day for free, fag