/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Don't dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl
p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 14.jpg (1600x1200, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/
help.ubuntu.com/community/Tasksel
h-node.org/wifi/catalogue/en/1/1/undef/undef/yes?
thefreedictionary.com/Xenophon
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Xerxes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Previously on Jow Forumspol/

How do I pronounce "xubuntu"?

I'd like to thank you. I didn't need it as I figured out what I did wrong. but I will keep this simple short example with me

I just have a simple question:

What distro is best and stable for developing programs and apps?

Thanks!

Attached: tumblr_inline_p8i6q26elm1tp9tch_540.png (540x540, 215K)

>best and stable
debian
>for developing programs and apps
anything with up-to-date libraries
install fedora

Debian is vanilla and popular. Don't install Fedora.

Thanks!

I have audio out to an external amplifier.
Sometimes I connect a headset (3.5mm TRRS) to the sound card (the "Built-In Audio") and I get high amounts of static.
Will any setting here change it, or is it completely hardware-related? Could I ground the computer to get rid of the hum?

Attached: 1.png (580x617, 64K)

Chuds Leave, Chads Stay edition.

Attached: 1497898828877.webm (480x360, 1.63M)

A reminder - whenever you encounter game developers on the web, tell them that making their games free software is a better option that will only benefit them in the long run.

do you install different desktops on a single desktop distro? Do you think that staying with developers' single desktop configuration is a better way or you always install something else?

Consider Trisquel.

Attached: trisquel.jpg (600x398, 122K)

/zʊˈbʊntuː/

I'm enjoying my experience with Neon, Plasma is a great DE. Kubuntu should be fine too. It's ubuntu-based, which is closely related to debian.

zoo-bun-too if you're speaking English
chubuntu (actual ch (voiceless velar fricative), like the greek chi, not č (voiceless palato-alveolar sibilant affricate, like in cherry) or k (voiceless velar plosive, like in technology), also the way it's supposed to be pronounced in LATEX) if you are speaking Greek or Latin
ksubuntu otherwise.

Stallman: You're a wizard, Linus.

Attached: 20cjk37d6072ye8925sifp06.jpg (676x401, 38K)

KDE sounds great for but how is the support for GPU drivers?

I want to run Blender and Android emulators too.

what free VPN is a good substitute for those simple VPN browser plugins that have one simple function of changing your location?

Previous thread:

>what free VPN is a good
none of them
>what
tor

Can anyone recommend me accounting software for linux? Preferable free. There are a lot of solutions, which one is the best?

So I am running Void with musl with their 64 bit rpi3 root tarfs, and I'm wondering if it's possible for a valid login to simply not work. I'm 99 percent sure that my passwords are correct, but the pi also doesn't connect to WiFi on boot anymore directly after a system update including a kernel update. I'm just going to reflash at this point, but is it possible to be unable to log in? I doubt it, but I feel insane now.

Give me tutorials that explain patching newer binaries to work with older glibc versions please.

Attached: hmm.jpg (193x262, 11K)

stop trying to run proprietary games on your centos server

you can install a newer distro in a chroot and run it there

>stop trying to run proprietary games on your centos server
What?

why do you want game devs to fail?

So I got influxdb and graphana working in a jail on my freenas box. I'm getting some metrics but they're limited to arcstats and a few disk stats (IO time, OPS read/write etc) but RAM CPU and net stats are missing.

I need to run certain niche software that's fully free/libre and whose binaries require a newer glibc. Is compiling it from source with my older glibc version the only option?

why do you want game devs to remain dumb and exploited?

Forgot to add: All measurements show up under influx when executing 'show series' or 'show measurements'.

If I install Ubuntu, and I decide I want to switch flavors, how annoying is it to switch? Is it like downloading an entirely new OS? Or is it rather painless?

>how annoying is it to switch
$ sudo apt-get install xfce4
done. Now you have Xubuntu.

Attached: 1568135012184.webm (1600x900, 1.14M)

stallman.org/

Attached: flag_sep11.png (640x400, 24K)

huh?

You can install all the flavors on top of each other if you really want. They shouldn't fight. It's just a list of packages that gets installed on top of the base system.
See also help.ubuntu.com/community/Tasksel

Attached: 1_12.png (1920x1080, 46K)

Install a free/libre operating system.
>b-but I'm a babby
install Trisquel
>b-but muh Arch
install Hyperbola/Parabola
>b-but muh Gentoo
install Guix

Attached: 1531336642998.png (3000x1688, 3.37M)

Thanks

you're welcome
and chek'd

Attached: Bonzi buddy.gif (220x246, 64K)

Manjaro vs Arch vs PopOs need some opinions to stop being a disgusting distrohopper
(i use Solus btw)

pclinuxos

Debian

Install Trisquel. Quit being obsessed with newest packages you don't really need.

I get error messages using emacs irony-flycheck in guix. My setup seems to be working fine in other distros but guix doesn't seem to work. It seems to be a problem with libclang and the include path. guix wizards, what do?

debian has old packages though not my cup of tea

>Trisquel
it's a commie os

Why do you need newest packages apart from newer multimedia software that indeed can be significantly affected by updates (and can be manually installed even on LTS systems if you need it so much)?

It's a lie though. It has nothing to do with the communist ideology. It's main users are small enterprises.

It's the best solution. If you're really bored, you could try to poke around the imports the binary is pulling from glibc using ELF manipulation tools, but chances are high that it (or some library it's depending on) uses a versioned function call or data structure that your older glibc version does not provide. glibc is only designed to be as downward compatible as possible.
If you want to avoid recompiling, consider some kind of container which runs your application on a newer glibc version.

>consider some kind of container which runs your application on a newer glibc version
didn't think about it, what's an example of such program?

No, I don't need a new browser.

Tor isn't a browser

What is it, a magical fairy?

Attached: oh u.png (123x196, 52K)

use the tor daemon (your distro probably has a package for it)
it can be used as a proxy in any program you desire

Tor is a program which acts as a client to the Tor network, you can use it as a proxy with any program which supports TCP
you might be thinking of Tor Browser Bundle, which includes a browser along with the Tor client

isn't it tracked by police agents who can mistake you for another person and break into your house because of exit node issues?

holy shit, I don't need all this
I need an easy free substitute for a dumbo plugin with one large red button that says "change your location"

Debian or Ubuntu.

Attached: 1562088586339.png (1018x763, 204K)

well there's no other options as far as trustworthy free proxies are concerned
if you want to use random socks lists, then be my guest

Manjaro GmbH & Co. KG

Debian and Arch are the only useful major non-corporate community distros. Debian is the only one that just works and doesn't want you getting sysadmin certs just to maintain your install.

Is there any decent PDF reader that supports tabs? I'm using Okular right now but it's a pain in the ass to not have tabs and have every PDF open in a new window

I would build it with nix but containers probably work quite well too

but muh wifi

why not use openvpn with some free certificate bundle and spoof my ip?

?

Jeez-louise..
BUY A LIBRE WIFI CARD FOR 25$

can I spoof my ip so that I can appear as if I were in a different location?

Is there a list with supported models?

h-node.org/wifi/catalogue/en/1/1/undef/undef/yes?

Please do not confuse the company name for the product. You would not refer to "SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH" or "Red Hat, Inc., a subsidiary of IBM" either.

I just call them corporate cesspits.

My debian 10 install has a problem: everytime i suspend my laptop (closing the lid or idling for some minutes) the screen freezes and only the mouse moves. I can do stuff and it responds but the graphical screen is frozen. I'ts not a WM problem (i use i3) since it does the same in the login manager. Also i should say that it is a netinst minimal install

but user muh proprietary programs that I need for work

Can someone explain to me in simple terms what loadkeys does? Why does it need dac_override capability?

Like what?

I’m trying to go full paranoia mode. Isn’t tor compromised now that it’s infested with a bunch of government nodes? Should we worry about all the check ins to the Linux kernel from huawei? I’ve been using pihole to block ads and trackers but I can’t really tell if it’s truly reliable or just a false sense of security

>I’m trying to go full paranoia mode.
Sorry, but paranoia is seldom compatible with intelligence, which is a predominant trait of GNU/Linux-libre users.

Do you need new programs/new features? If not, Debian. If so, hmm, gentoo? I mean Fedora maybe, Arch works well but you never know when something upstream might come bite you in the ass

ksubuntu

What the fuck is this reddit "internet manner" shit

What the fuck is "internet manner"?

ksubuntu, I have never understoot why you englifags pronounce an x like a z

I’m still kind of a noob but I think I’m ready to take off the Ubuntu training wheels. Especially since canonical is starting to feel like Microsoft-lite.

Im assuming Ubuntu>Debian would be the smoothest, but am I gonna have to start from scratch or can I create some kind of batch script for all the packages and configs I have now. I know i3 and my fucked up alsa settings were especially a pain in the ass that I don’t want to relive

Friend, I think what you mean is the GNU+Linux operating system.
As for accounting software, I would recommend to you the free/libre GnuCash program, which is available at gnucash.org.

thefreedictionary.com/Xenophon
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Xerxes

how do you pronounce "ksubuntu"?

"ur mom"

>tfw to intelligent to protect yourself from being spied on when multiple governments and corporations have openly admitted to doing it

the way it's written

what errors?

small-brain post

k'sue boon too?

n-nani?

yea and? In italian we say "Ksenofonte"

Bump

'ks' is not pronounceable to an english speaker, and i don't know what sound it's supposed to represent

Tor is still fine. Don't trust the shills.

Attached: 1477444440855.jpg (490x490, 131K)