What is the optimal set top box for TV?

What is the optimal set top box for TV?

Will Smart TVs ever make set top boxes completely obsolete?

Attached: shield.jpg (3000x2000, 239K)

Optimal? Apple TV (1st gen) running OSMC on a CRT TV over YPbPr.

>CRT TV
get back on your horse buggy and get outta here, Jebediah

custom htpc and no.

top tv models already made set top boxes obsolete years ago. there is nothing that set top box can do better except some retarded geyming shit

The Smart functions even on high end sets are no different than a shitty $30 android box in terms of hardware
They work once the video gets going but the CPUs in them are so piss weak that everything is rather sluggish
Any strange formats are basically a no go, not enough CPU to software decode 10bit H264 for example

I just use a spare parts pc in my living room with a wireless keyboard. It works better than whatever set top box you can get

can't run android apps

Sony does a lot of Android TV models

Also a lot bigger, heavier and far less power efficient. Also not designed for television use.

plex and emby works perfectly well on my sony a9f android and everything is pretty fast and responsive.
emby with external mx player play h264 10bit with ass subs without transcoding.
A9F internal upscalling and frame interpolation is of much higher quality than any pc application even madvr !

and plex android tv app play 4k 10bit hevc with pgs subs without transcoding

transcoding if needed happens on server (plex or emby) and not in tv or set top box

based

only correct answer

retard

Who gives a shit if it's bigger and heavier? How often are you moving it?

I used PC until recently even wasted money on RTX2060 and now my new TV made all this shit obsoete

and also wasted money on hdmi cable

Attached: 20190911_222044.jpg (1500x1500, 2.18M)

Did you seriously buy a $40 hdmi cable

Because it takes up more space. Not everyone is content with a trash heap living room.

Also, I often move my Shield to different rooms on different floors. Far more convenient than moving a PC with a PSU.

I just use switch for playing games
it's pretty convenient and comfortable

Attached: 20190911.jpg (2000x1462, 1.54M)

I will probably buy ubp-800m2 just to make use of this cable

Attached: multiregion-sony-ubp-x800m2.jpg (600x568, 154K)

What game?

Can you recommend apps to illegally stream please

My local shit-bin overstock store has a basket of these Ethernet over HDMI cables that look pretty fucking thiccc

I've never heard of them before. Its like 10 feet for 10 bucks. Is it worth buying? They're non-braided and some off-brand, but not Chinese branded.

Attached: hdmi_cable_label-100028363-orig.jpg (1600x1111, 492K)

world end sindrome