For the anons that dual boot GNU/Linux and Windows, have you encountered any issues...

For the anons that dual boot GNU/Linux and Windows, have you encountered any issues? I currently use a Linux distro and i want to dual boot it with Windows but i have heard that windows 10 often deletes GRUB and makes it impossible to have the two, would this still happen if I install Windows 7 instead of 10 with the updates disabled?

Attached: 14515461.gif (746x395, 56K)

i'm dual booting arch with 10 (i use arch btw if you haven't noticed) haven't really encountered any grub errors while updating win 10. the only error i saw was windows 10 not appearing in the grub menu because the drive was still mounted (ez fix done under a minute).
the correct way for dual booting is two drivers, and two bootloaders at the same time (windows bootloader and grub)

Install KVM or QEMU with gpu pass-through and install windows in a wm

Bios update deletes grub for me, it's an easy fix however. Otherwise no problems.

It hasnt happened to me and if it does, it is an easy fix. Assuming UEFI: Since grub chainloads Windows Boot Manager, WBM wont overwrite grub, just prioritize itself. You can always reprioritize grub in the bios settings/boot to grub directly in the menu. You'll never be locked out if you understand how the boot process works.

you should be fine, but if I were you I would Backup anything that you cant afford to loose,

install windows first
or this

The last time a windows update deleted my GRUB was the update to windows 7 service pack 1.

Most recently, the only issue I've encountered is installing Windows after the fact.

The Windows installer will shit the bed if you attempt to install it on storage that's not blank and pristine. Even a pre-existing partition table will have it shitting itself.

Attached: clean-install-windows10-process.jpg (1024x768, 59K)

dual boot from separate drives. no issues, if you install Linux first just run update-grub after installing windows

I duell boot Arch and Win 7. But I have them on separate drives and I use the Legacy BIOS option, so your mileage may vary. As far as Windows is concerned, it doesn't even know Linux exists since Win7 doesn't have nvme drivers by default and I saw no need to install them.

Go back

>2012+7
>dual booting
get a 2nd computer or a VM if you don't want to get Micro$hafted

Windows fast boot can corrupt gnu+linux partitions because it tries to mount them when shutting down. Fast boot shutdown is actually sort of hibernate. Reboot n/a.
Disable fast boot in windows settings.
disable hibernate while you're at it.
cmd as admin; powercfg.exe /hibernate off

windows clock might be wrong after booting. I found a regedit fix for this which I forget now.

I fixed the windows overwriting boot order thing when I saw there was a "disable" option for the entries in the boot order section on my machine. (windows was still available @ the grub screen of course)

Remove your other hard drive before installing windows, then put it back in when it's done. Easy.

to Linux only? sure
kys (LE reDdit XDDD xdlells lmao i don't agree with somthisnkf so GOback XDDdxDXD)

Install windows first, then linux, you get dualboot out of the box. If you have to install windows second then after that boot to linux from USB and run a program boot-repair, it'll install grub from scratch.

Not very easy to enable secure boot and still be able to boot manual distros (Arch, Gentoo).
Sometimes GPU gets enabled/disabled on other OS too, sometimes not.
If you reboot (doesn't happen if shut down and turn on) from one OS to another, some drivers on Windows might break. Took me very long to find out why the heck they randomly kept breaking.

Upboated. Thanks for gold BTW. Now do the needful and go back.

yeah i had an issue with it, but i fixed it. the issue was that windows was on my pc. i deleted windows and the problem disappeared

I've never had any problems with dual boot on UEFI mobos, even with both Windows 7 and Linux on the same drive. That being said, I use Windows only for games that I can't run on Linux, which are actually getting pretty rare nowadays.
Also if you just want a simple dual boot on UEFI, you don't even need GRUB, systemd-boot and kernel with EFISTUB enabled will work just fine.

I had a huge issue with dual booting. I just said fuck it and started using linux exclusively. Do yourself a favor user.