Buy 4k TV

>buy 4k TV
>heard about plex so much and how everyone uses it to stream their stuff with it
>try streaming 80gb 4k videos from my PC and every video lags
>find out hardware acceleration is locked behind paywall
>read about it more and found out that all useful features are locked behind this jew subscription
How is this shitty thing even relevant?

Attached: plex.jpg (1440x916, 206K)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.plex.tv/articles/203810286-what-media-formats-are-supported/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What are they even charging you for when everything is streamed from your device, is there any other way where I can stream my 4k content from PC?

>Streaming 4k video
you fucking moron
the bandwidth can't handle 4k properly
it's going to be a few years since coax still has to convert to cat-6
even on a rainy day you're going to get bandwidth interruption

I want to build an HTPC for me using an old laptop.
Surely mpv can decode 4k video just fine right? The laptop is from 2010 and has a core i5

I have great router and I'm streaming over wifi not internet speed.

You fucking moron, he's streaming from his PC, not across the internet.

At least read the fucking post

Does the router have at least 80211ac?

>hardware acceleration is locked behind paywall

Attached: nuke them all.jpg (829x421, 75K)

Depends on the GPU.

If it's integrated graphics from a first generation mobile i5, then no. It doesn't have 4k decoding support. So it would be doing 100% software decoding, which would never work on a mobile i5 CPU from that old.

Of course dual band too.

i have a really really stupid question
does plex work without an internet connection?

Retard alert

How much mb/s do you think 4k is anyway?

yes

Hardware acceleration of what?
Transcoding? Playback?

Plex is a terrible idea in general and I honestly don't know why any of you bother.

Here's an infinitely better solution: create a shared folder with on your computer or better yet on the USB port of your wifi router. Now put all your tv and movies on that. Et voila you can now stream everything and anything in original qualitywithout worrying about bullshit like transcoding (unless you playback device is truly ancient)

Just use Kodi.

Use Jellyfin you dumb nigger

>Not using kodi
Bruh moment

which router fucking hasn't, which shithole are you living in that this would be a valid question
I could fucking stream uncompressed 4k60fps video straight from the internet

if by uncompressed, you mean 4k bluray bitrates, then sure.

ACTUAL RAW uncompressed 4k footage is stupidly high bitrate, depending on what you're shooting with, could be multiple gigabits per second.

Attached: 2019-09-11 17_08_32.png (1007x304, 421K)

why the fuck don't you just play the file directly off your network?

Who the fuck streams RAW

You're not even supposed to view RAW content, it's meant to be processed

You're the one who said "uncompressed" 4k.

Which the only true uncompressed 4k would be RAW 4k, since everything else is compressed in some manner.

You are being pedantic and discussing semantics as if the context of the conversion does not matter. If we are talking about Kodi, Plex and other streaming software we are obviously talking about the ability to stream without compression of the video files we have access to. E.g by 4K60fps the poster obviously means that his internet can handle whatever file he is playing without transcoding.

It is entirely unnecessary to involve the semantic differences between uncompressed RAW, mp4 etc. Nobody here is talking about streaming RAW files, I don't know why you would bring that up other than contrarianism.

Because saying 4k60fps means NOTHING

No one offers 4k 60fps streaming content because nothing is particularly shot in 4k60fps except for some test footage shit on youtube or similar.

So does he mean 4k60fps youtube? Which is just 25mbps, or does he mean 4k24fps bluray bitrates which would be ~50-60mbps?

Or does he mean something else entirely?

I don't know because he doesn't say.

I bought a lifetime pass so long ago I forgot that was locked behind it. People who don't buy lifetime passes to literally anything are fucking retarded. Think about it for two seconds, if a service gives you the chance to get out of paying them, why WOULDN'T you take the opportunity. It's such a stupid business decision you'd be a retard not to do it

It doesn't matter what he meant, the point is that the discussion of RAW uncompressed is irrelevant to the thread subject.

All he said was that his internet can handle streaming the video file without compression of it.

It can apparently stream UNCOMPRESSED 4k60fps content that doesn't exist too

I just wish the Plex media player was better, it is god tier for it's server options, but the media player is simply inferior in so many ways to something like Infuse.

I did pay lifetime for Infuse, just wish the Plex media player wasn't so awful and I'd gladly use Plex only.

I'm pretty simple when it comes to playback so I've never had a problem. I also run a headless host but it seems like more and more people are running pms ON the device they're watching shit on which to me is like, 2006 windows media center tier shit. I never liked HTPCs

>coax for networking in 2019
what the fuck

Get out of your shithole, I can flawslessly stream 8k on a €15/month plan

i think that braw bitrate is wrong, i only get about an hour per terabyte

bonded MoCA 2.0 can do 1gbps over coax, and MoCA 2.5 can do 2.5gbps over coax, though MoCA 2.5 adapters are few and far between.

huh?

For what specifically?

True uncompressed 4K 60FPS video would be like 14 gigabits a second

It may be an Apple TV issue with Plex, I'm not entirely sure though I've heard it's Plex app has some problems specifically with the Apple TV.

I also don't understand the point of a dedicated HTPC in most cases, I guess it has some advantages in that you have a dedicated system solely for media playback but that's pretty niche I think.

Well aware, fiber is just better though.

Sure, but who the fuck is running fiber in their house?

Nothing wrong with Coax LAN networking.

Coax WAN is another matter unless you've got DOCSIS 4.0

4k. i think its probably 5:1 or a fixed bitrate that theyre measuring, not the "proper" 3:1. Not that braw is even proper raw anyway

4k processing takes a shit load of server CPU/ram/etc. Then your other shit that is running as well. Then your network speed and any other shit running on it that's pulling data.

Honestly, stick to 1080p. Your TV can upscale it you know. And unless your sitting very close or got some large ass set and an auditorium for a living room you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference. A proper 1080p rip mind you, not the shit you get from YIFY.

HTPCs are nice because they have the ass to decode odd formats and more often than not they are still powerful enough to decode future formats as they get released
AV1 for example can be decoded with a 5 year old PC, no set top box is doing that

Nah, blackmagic RAW got updated like 6 months ago with different settings entirely, that chart is from like 2014.

ah, ive only had my camera since july so idk. what did they change?

The TV client probably can't handle the decoding, or its being transcoded which can be pretty heavy. If you were using something with a bit more ooomph and just use direct play as the client it should work just fine. I'd suggest something like a NUC.

its an open source codec and gets improved all the time, not sure what exactly has changed since 2014, but i'm sure plenty.

It's about the quality of the rip. A DVD rip, 720x480 can look damn good on even a 65 HDTV if it's ripped right. What's the size of a 4k rip? 20GB. Hell that's over 2 8.5 raw DVD images right there. Think about it. A raw dvd has 5000 - 7000 bit rate. A shitty Yify rip, 1080p at that, is maybe only 2000 bitrate.

Quality maters more than resolution. TV can upscale it to fit the screen. But butcher the quality and output will look like shit.

Always find this to be a curious argument, I have a lot of DVDs and I've always find it to be far inferior in image quality to highly compressed 1080p rips.

You must be blind, or they weren't highly compressed and you're exaggerating.

an ~8GB DVD movie will look better than a ~1GB 1080p rip.

Sure I'll check it out if you have some examples I can download to try. I just remember specifically downloading the YIFY rip of Two Towers and it looked way better than the DVD (original quality disc).

Sorry I dont use public trackers

Even worse.

honestly just buy something off amazon, I got both seasons of ESPN 30 for 30 for like 10 dollars from used sellers. A single 720p 1hr30m file with DTS-MA Surround and DTS-Stereo is 16GB

There are 3 likely reasons for this
1. The device you're playing the video on cannot handle the codec of the file, as such the server has to live transcode. Your CPU is too shit to do it fast enough, so it lags.
2. Your network is simply too shit and cannot handle the bitrate. I don't know how long the movie is, but assuming your 80GB file is 2h long that's a bitrate of roughly 90Mbps. If you're on WiFi and don't have absolutely amazing signal, or the router is going through a wall or a few, you may very well not be getting 90Mbps in the real world. Use a cable, they're reliable and always work.
3. Your player/TV is too shit to play the file anyway, even transcoded

>but who the fuck is running fiber in their house?
People who want to get a 10g network on the cheap, I guess.

You fucking nigger brain, you do know that the 4K streaming video from Netflix and the like basically streams at the bitrate of a 1080p bluray? In other words, their encodes are like a third of the size of your near 1-1 UHD disc rips on Plex. Try dropping the bitrate to where they're half their size or do without streaming them

>Not transcoding for network efficiency
>Not transcoding for use outside your network
Pleb
Plex works very well for me

Not plex's fault your PC is a fucking potato

>>read about it more and found out that all useful features are locked behind this jew subscription

all of those 'useful features' have to do with multi user management and remote access, both of which are absolutely useless and have nothing to do with the issue you started the post with.

>>find out hardware acceleration is locked behind paywall

Are you dumb? You have a 4K TV, you are streaming 4K content. You don't need to transcode shit. And GPU based transcoding is a huge meme anyway as it offers not actual practical performance benefit over CPU encoding. The bottleneck is your CPU or your network speed.

to all the retarded poorfag (sand)nigger plex shills here: it can't stream 4k10bit even if you pay

it can't do 4k HDR?

Theres some other software I forgot the name of, it basically sets up a server on your PC or whatever and then you can stream photos, videos, music etc to everywhere for free

support.plex.tv/articles/203810286-what-media-formats-are-supported/

lmao that's such shit

it's almost 2020 ffs

What are you talking about yea it can.

>inb4 muh transcode

Probably Emby

also worth noting it can't into subtitles too well,according to their kwn documentation
let us see proofs

>transcoding for network efficiency
absolute state of plex shills
you really are all a bunch if dumb uk arabs, spaniggers, and romanian gypsies

just use Universal Media Server

it's based on the cobbled together but totally functional PS3 Media Server and it just werkz

yes as a LAN setup

but in that case, use something like Universal Media Server or Windows 10's built in cast function

here you go big boy

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 8.27.43 PM.png (626x776, 561K)

you'll have a lot more image blocking and duller colors on the YIFY compared to a raw rip of a DVD using MakeMKV

not to mention the awful sound quality vs the raw AC3 from the DVD

>Note: Subtitles can introduce a wrinkle here sometimes. Even if a file’s audio, video, and container are all compatible with a Plex App, if a subtitle stream is selected and is not compatible with the Plex App, then the Server will “burn in” the subtitle text within the video. This requires a full transcode of the video stream.

> he doesnt run fiber in his house
What are you, a fucking pleb?

Attached: 5333DE27-5DF4-4CC0-9C2D-8B20C10925E3.jpg (4032x3024, 3M)

You don't either, i see the two lines of CAT5 or 6 just behind on the wall that are tacked into place

We’re talking about LANs here, plex lets you stream content on your local network even without their jewpass

So what? No one runs fiber LANs.

Our TV's are on wifi that gets bogged down if everybody is watching stuff off my Plex server without transcoding

>never pay for Plex
>Still does what I need it to
It's handy being able to watch my Chinese cartoons when I'm away for work.

Attached: Screenshot_20190912-110820.jpg (1080x1920, 1.15M)

imagine having a tv thats so shit that it can't direct play from your plex server

There is a huge benefit using gpu based transcoding. Modern GPUs are far more efficient at transcoding vs the cpu. my e5 1650 gets pinned to 50% doing a single 1080p h264 transcode and draws a shitload of power. Offloading it to my GTX 1660 the cpu barely tops 15% with 1 transcode and the total system power draw is over 100 watts less from the wall.

>lifetime pass to something that might disappear in a few years
>lifetime pass for a thing that has absolutely 0 reason to exist in the first place and exists just to make money off retards too dumb to use kodi

>the virgin setup

nigga just connect your pc to tv using hdmi
>no lags
>no transcoding

the fuck do you mean you use more-capable cables to connect stationary objects to eachother instead of using wifi for no reason?

Come home, white man.

Attached: jellyfin.png (431x431, 25K)

Maybe dont stream 4K HDR content to your phone then

>emby the autistic version

Is the paid version of Plex capable of playing pgs subtitles without transcoding?

Get a job you fucking NEET. Nobody has to work for your benefit for free.

Literally this. Stop fucking complaining and use Jellyfn

Kodi sucks ass, get the fuck out of here you dumb boomer

>server client model
>client not available for most devices
no thanks

If you're gonna do this at least have some UI front end like Kodi you tryhard

GPU transcoding is a shitload more buggy and that leads to performance loss and reliability issues. Besides a e5 1650 is a 9 year old processor. Modern intel CPU's have far better encoding performance (not to mention performance per watt performance), even going back to the 6xxx series.

>How is this shitty thing even relevant?
Normies that don't know any better.

Switch to Jellyfin. It's a port of Emby which is actually open source and doesn't have any paid aspects like the gay Emby premium shit or whatever. You need to name your files properly though so use Sonarr or Radarr or something for that since metadata detection isn't as good, but the software is pretty great.

Isn't the app paid to watch over a minute? kek.

it's your fault for wanting to transcode with a weak system.
Either direct-play over your network, use a more powerful CPU or pay the convenience tax to get hardware-transcoding.

In terms of why Plex is popular, it pretty much has the best interface and gets updated regularly.
Emby is even more jewish, they put a count-down timer before videos if you didn't pay them (yes really) and plastered the dashboard with a giant advertisement for premium.
And while Plex lifetime subscription is lifetime, Emby's is only guaranteeing 3 years.

Jellyfin is our only real hope for a good Plex alternative but app development is not there yet and Jellyfin itself is multiple versions behind Emby at this point.

Attached: 1548088710748.gif (356x262, 1.46M)

>using shit software that can't even handle metadata well
>software is pretty great

kys shill

It handles it fine as long as you name your files properly, otherwise it just shows the filenames. Most people use Sonarr for metadata and naming anyways, educate yourself.