Why did normies have to ruin gifs?

Why did normies have to ruin gifs?

Attached: 1554854544547.png (1920x952, 690K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#ffpreset-files
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/72598903/#q72604431
files.catbox.moe/5zi8lo.mkv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

idk what you mean, Kpop gifs are all that matter

gif is overrated anyway

Bump.

webm

fpbp

This, Webm truly is the future. 2-pass Webms have batshit insane quality for the file size, I feel like an absolute moron for being sour grapes because I couldn't figure out how to do it for years now.

Windows BAT script for anyone interested:
for %%f IN (*.mp4, *.mkv, *.webm) do (
ffmpeg -i "%%f" -pass 1 -y -bf 8 -c:v libvpx -lag-in-frames 25 -b:v 256k -deadline best -cpu-used 0 -an -f webm nul
ffmpeg -i "%%f" -pass 2 -y -bf 8 -c:v libvpx -lag-in-frames 25 -b:v 256k -deadline best -cpu-used 0 -an -f webm output.webm
)

Not mine btw, found here: It's absolutely BONKERS how efficient VP8 truly is once you push it to the absolute limit.

>MP3 bitrates for HQ video
god damn

Attached: output.webm (640x360, 2.51M)

IT'S PRONOUNCED JIFF!!!
HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO GO OVER THIS???!!!!!!

Worst post

VP8 isn't really that good. Sure, compared to GIF - a 32 year old lossless image format - it compresses most footage a lot better (although not all; GIF is still good for very simple and short animations), but everything after AVC (with the exception of Theora) beats it.
>-bf 8
VP8 doesn't know the concept of B-frames.

Also haven't I seen you rightfully trash talk VP8 (or more specifically libvpx) in the past? You seem to know your stuff about encoding, so why suddenly the blind love for a subpar video coding format, that people only use, because Hiromoot refuses to allow anything else?

>try it
>result looks like this

Attached: 1568248704.mp4.webm (1234x662, 1.14M)

moot already ruined gifs years ago

meme'd

Change 256k with 2.5M

ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#ffpreset-files

Try a bitrate of 384k

It's not magic you retard, even yify uses like 1mbps on their 720p rips

Depends what your source was. Webm related was from a 800Kbps VP9 Youtube rip and was converted to a 2 pass with a bitrate of just 512kbps. It's pretty insane VP8 maintains that much quality and really shows you how subpar youtube's video encoding is.

Attached: output.webm (1280x720, 1007K)

GIFs were always garbage and you know it. They were a mistake and served to bloat the internet and have been a vestigal organ of the internet for like 2 fucking decades now.

Actually, alternate reference frames kick in on 2-pass encodings, I don't really understand it well but isn't this the same as AVC's b-frames or close to it?

To be truthful with you senpai, I'm starting to realize I know less than what I think I know. For example the reason why VP8s 2-pass thing amazes me is because I NEVER realized how broken VP8s CRF mode was, there are weird "pulsing" artifacts and you always have to keep fucking with the qmin/qmax values to get it "just right". AVC doesn't have this problem, you just chuck in a preset, CRF value and call it a day.

I still don't like VP8 desu but I realized you can macgyver it to get close to AVC's compression efficiency if not match it if you keep fucking with it enough. Of course I'm still shocked this website hasn't moved onto to at least VP9 yet or even Webp. They've been bitching about "muh bandwidth" for so long and when presented with a solution they go quiet. Reminds me of my family.

Attached: AaoL3s4.png (500x732, 304K)

>normies
Why did reddit have to ruin the internet?

YMMV but it gives way higher quality than CRF or ABR mode can give with the former being pretty much broken.

This too, you can't just keep transcoding low quality video over an over again expecting it to not acrue more generational loss. That's the entire point of lossy encoding in the first place.

You mean, jifs?

>but isn't this the same as AVC's b-frames or close to it?
Not really. The alternate reference frame is solely used for predictions and not a frame that the user actually gets to see once decoded. They also don't offer the most important aspect of B-frames, the bi-directional prediction, although they can use either future or past frames for the construction.
I read in some technical blog post once, that VP8's answer to B-frames is a combination of all their reference frames (i.e. last and golden frame from the past and alternate reference frame from the future to predict a frame).
>there are weird "pulsing" artifacts and you always have to keep fucking with the qmin/qmax values to get it "just right"
Yeah, the broken bitrate control for single pass encodes is a real shame. Even worse for VP9, when using libvpx.
In my experience the only time to use single pass with libvpx is for encoding VP8 at very very low bitrates. Somehow single pass encodes manage to provide a more consistent quality, as 2-pass tends to distribute too many bits to hectic scenes and prioritizes the wrong details (e.g. background details over faces) in that case. At least with default settings. Perhaps you can fix it by tweaking the under-/overshoot limits, but I never bothered to try.
>Of course I'm still shocked this website hasn't moved onto to at least VP9 yet or even Webp.
Aren't we all?

bump

>60fps
retard

>0.017 bits/pixel
You maxed out the QP, increase the bitrate. Webm related has 0.058 bits/pixel. Even yify tends to hover around 0.050 bits/pixel anything less and you're just asking the impossible for even H264 which is supposed to be somewhat more efficient than VP8.

Attached: output.webm (640x360, 2.84M)

What video is this?

Some slo mo video from youtube. It was posted as test footage in a hevc thread a while back.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/72598903/#q72604431

This one, seems incomplete though.

files.catbox.moe/5zi8lo.mkv

>overrated
Not just overrated. Obsolete. For a long time.