>"Minecraft: Java Edition now requires OpenGL 2.0"

Attached: 1567429831238.jpg (635x985, 97K)

Play MineTest.

Attached: kv4PTiD_d.jpg (580x346, 27K)

Games are supposed to be proprietary. Most software is a tool, games are art. A virtual tool is information, and information wants to be free. But art wants to be proprietary. Art is an extension of the artist's thoughts and feelings. Even if you take the art from the artist, you can't take the artist out of the art. This promotes it beyond mere information. It's not a good, and it's not a service, granted, but it's a third type of naturally proprietary resource. A secret. The artist's right to protect the secrecy of their feelings, and divulge them only as they see fit, is unironically more important than your right to information.

>muh feelings
Art is information. Deal with it.

It's a shame its not very popular.
It's retarded easy to program mods for it.

I see you have no actual counterargument.

>playing versions after the actual game was renamed Java Edition

That is my argument. Art is information.

Can I make massive factories and automate the game?

games are entertainment products made for profit, retard, not because some guy has nothing to do and wants to express his feelings
back to /lit/

Yes, it has a "mekanism" like mod.

Then I've already addressed your argument.
>Art is an extension of the artist's thoughts and feelings. Even if you take the art from the artist, you can't take the artist out of the art. **This promotes it beyond mere information.**
I've already provided reasoning as to the complement of the unsubstantiated conclusion you've just drawn. If you refuse to substantiate your stance with superior reasoning, I accept your concession.

>games are entertainment products made for profit, retard, not because some guy has nothing to do and wants to express his feelings
Sadly that is the trend these days. But it can and will be overturned. Minecraft itself was a counterexample, by the way. Emphasis on 'was'.

>Art is an extension of the artist's thoughts and feelings. Even if you take the art from the artist, you can't take the artist out of the art.
How does this make it more than information?

>requires OpenGL 2.0
My FX5950 Ultra from 2003 can handle that!

Is it like survival mode yet? Last time i played it was creative only and weird community gamemodes.

>Minecraft itself was a counterexample
how so? it's a tool for people who want to build shit. I would say a game like Limbo is art

The art is an extension of the artist. A person is not information, or if we insist they are, then, for the sake of human rights, people as information should be excepted from the notion that information wants to be free [to others]. Art, being an extension of people in a way other information is not, should therefore be excepted in kind, if we can even consider an extension of a person to be information at all.

The whole point of it is the "community developed" part.
It have a literal integrated package manager to allow you to install shit, but the biggest sin it does is not having all the mods compatible with this minecraft clone game mode.

>how so?
Notch originally made it as a passion project.
>it's a tool for people who want to build shit.
It expresses a narrative. The narrative of a settler in a harsh land where resourcefulness is necessary to survive. Its functionality as a tool is merely part of that narrative.

remember when minecraft was actually fun like lego, before they added all the autistic rpg bullshit?

Attached: tb4le.png (2312x1288, 348K)

>2019
>minecraft only now is using OpenGL 2.0
Holy shit I thought that fat fuck would have realized the mistake he made when using OpenGL 1.1. Even Microshit hasn't fixed this yet?

Attached: 1565296071044.jpg (847x1024, 86K)

How the fuck is art an extension of a person? When I write some code is it also an extension of myself? How about when I take a shit? My shits are pretty unique.

Attached: goback.png (238x29, 2K)

>Minecraft: Java Edition still requires java

Attached: 1416171638767.jpg (380x380, 53K)

Well that sounds gay. I love survival modpacks. When i can have a similar experience in minetest, I'll play that.

Art is an extension of a person because it's holistically autobiographical. In some form, it's inevitable an artist pours their own whole life story, told from their own perspective, into their art. The only part of your life story your shit tells is what you eat, and the only part of your life story your code tells (usually, depends on what the code does) is what you've studied and what kinds of tools you wish there were more of in the world.

You can have survival, it is pretty much a 1:1 clone of the minecraft survival.
But the other mods don't work with it.
But on the other hand, you can make a jank survival mod with the other mods.

Is what I learned and my diet not autobiographical?
>In some form, it's inevitable an artist pours their own whole life story, told from their own perspective, into their art
Source?

>Is what I learned and my diet not autobiographical?
Not holistically, no.
>>In some form, it's inevitable an artist pours their own whole life story, told from their own perspective, into their art
>Source?
common sense shared by anyone capable of appreciating art

>common sense
Source?

First off, , second:
Fuck I miss those servers. Used the WoMClient to have easy tools such as flying and server selectors. Wasn't really the best builder then but it felt so much simpler to make something back then. With a small amount of blocks and tons of creativity you could build basically anything you want. Nowadays there's too much choice in blocks, too much useless RPG trash shoved down your throat, and overly complex garbage such as command block structures and a horrible hunger mechanic. Not to mention every multiplayer server has a microtransaction system. You want to build? Pay up $5, goy. "Booster Block Pack! Only $10!" and that shit. Gold Tier Builders only, I could go on but I'd reach the comment limit.
Even though I only play FTB and rarely touch vanilla nowadays, I really miss building skyscrapers with friends.
My favourite server closed around 2012 or so.
I want to go back.

Attached: sad cat 1.png (244x244, 126K)

>>common sense
>Source?
common sense dude
it's basically the very definition of art
>inb4 the uncultured ignoramus replies with a dictionary entry or something

By God, you're right. I finally see the light, user.
Check out pic related. I can literally count the artist's brain cells from this wonderful work.

Attached: download.jpg (1200x1561, 595K)

ClassiCube.
Also 826, there are actually good pure vanilla servers, and I'm a regular at one.

>art = paintings
>all paintings are shit on canvas
>therefore art is just shit on canvas
Imagine getting all three statements of a lemma wrong

>But art wants to be proprietary.
Kekked out loud at this.

Who are you quoting user?

u

I didnt say that though. I said that I have been enlightened.

>Who are you quoting

Your words said what you say you said but your obvious intentions said what I said they said

>games are art
is checkers art? how about poker?

user, have you been taking your medicine lately?

Ludism versus narrativism is an age-old and unproductive debate and I won't be engaging in it today. When I say games are art, you know damn well what kinds of games I'm talking about. That's not to say ludic / "pure" games aren't designed artfully. Art went into their design, but they themselves are more rather tools of entertainment.

Oh, so games aren't art?

Ludic games aren't art, there's an art to making them however. Narrativist games are art.

So games may have artful elements, but they aren't art because their core is always gameplay, which is not an art. Got it. Also VN's and TellTale shit aren't games.

theres only one man who can solve this problem

Attached: 1553455997370.gif (849x458, 152K)

>Even Microshit hasn't fixed this yet?
Minecraft's source code is so bad then when they first ported it to the Xbox, the said fuck it and rewrote everything in C++, rather than trying to fix Notch's spaghetti mess to get it to run on console. All the console and mobile versions are based off the C++ codebase, and they're part of the "Bedrock" family, which runs much smoother on less powerful hardware than the original Java version.

>So games may have artful elements, but they aren't art because their core is always gameplay, which is not an art.
Wrong, narrativist games can have gameplay as their core feature and still be narrativist games. Don't tell me you honestly don't understand something as basic as the difference between ludic and narrativist games. I don't see how I can be expected to have a conversation with you about whether games are art if you don't even know what a game is.

games, narrativist or not, aren't art.

Narrative games want to be art, but their art comes from other arts. Their counterparts can be art without needing to imitate film, music, etc.

>Java Edition

Attached: this_fuken_guy.jpg (667x753, 71K)

I don't see how using multimedia and not gameplay to express a narrative means that narrative belongs any less to the complete multimedia and gameplay product. Furthermore, gameplay can be used to help express a narrative, though it's rare for games to do this well, and works better for expressing basic things about the setting. Example: the harvesting, building, and crafting mechanics in Minecraft reinforce the settler story established by the graphics.

>Games are art
No, they're just entertainment, as most films and books are.

what about games created by one person or small teams as an artistic endeavour? how is that any different from a painting?

just because it accepts human input doesn't make it a game

No, films and books are also art. They're not all good art, but they're art.

A game is anything that offers some interactive experience for the sake of that experience alone. Both ludic and narrativist games are encompassed by this definition.

Something isn't art simply by virtue of its medium. For something to have any artistic merit, it has to fully utilize what makes its medium unique.

I disagree. For something to have artistic merit, it must express something by some means. That's the only requirement. If what it expresses isn't compelling, that doesn't make it not art, it makes it bad art.

Games can be opensource and use a license that doesn't allow you to use the actual art/music assets. Like Cube 2 Sauerbraten, all the old id games, etc.

Attached: wagie.png (1056x1089, 272K)

When will they use vertex buffers instead of glBegin and glEnd nonsense? That shit makes minecraft SLOW AF because it has to use the CPU more intensively.

Did you just steal my image and then repost it here? RESPOND TO MY THREAD FUCKER

>"Minecraft: Java Edition now requires OpenGL 2.0"
So... what?
If your GPU doesn't support OGL v2.0, chances are you wouldn't be able to play Minecraft comfortably anyway.

I was actually impressed that this was strictly a requirement just now desu.