/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming build skeletons and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to non-technically assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric games, VR games, or ray tracing: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: stock-photo-computer-addiction-emotional-child-boy-with-laptop-notebook-playing-games-isolated-on-wh (1500x1029, 334K)

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FGzDCb
youtube.com/watch?v=6_6hGc1A3Tk
amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-SATA-Internal-MZ-76P1T0BW/dp/B078211KCN/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Samsung SSD 860 PRO 1&qid=1568304511&s=gateway&sr=8-1
amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76Q1T0B-AM/dp/B07L3D19MY/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=SSD 860 QVO&qid=1568304546&s=gateway&sr=8-2
ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-860-Evo-1TB-vs-Samsung-860-QVO-1TB/m423831vsm667965
pcpartpicker.com/list/wbKjjy
tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_27gl850.htm
youtu.be/T5Loh7vOcVM?t=247
youtube.com/watch?v=R2OSoKwTAj8&feature=youtu.be&t=586
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

When is the next amd sale? Black friday?

repeating my post from the previous thread

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FGzDCb

I'm trying to put together a mini-ITX build that will work for mild gaming, decent rendering and heavy animating/photo editing.
The GTX 1060 6GB is in my current build so that is what i'm working around, which limits my case to some level.

1. Not sure if I should go Intel or AMD for the CPU
2. Motherboards are either horrendous to pick on PCPartPicker or there aren't many options for me
3. I'm not sure if I will need a heatsink or another fan for it

General advice would be greatly appreciated. The graphics card is the only concrete piece to it all so far

Budget ideally would be ~$600 not including said graphics card

Anybody else having no post issues with a 3700x? Either CPU LED or DRAM LED red?
Many of those had a working system for a few days and it just stopped working at some point.

Just on the gigabyte forum alone I saw like 4 people reporting this issue only today, plus various other reports from older days?

>ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

Attached: 1568048060056.jpg (480x640, 12K)

I have two GPUs on my hands, Asus GTX970 Strix and R9 290 DCUII, which one should go into my gayming PC? I guess the 970 has the edge here.

>going with the 3.5 meme

Attached: wew lad.jpg (260x194, 6K)

why not test both?

>ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.
based

My bros, if i get two xbox game pass codes from amd (one for the cpu and another for the gpu) will i be able to stack them and get double the time?

Dude i really need your thoughts , i would like to buy a cooler Master MA620P 120 mm version, but i have a case yeyian 1101 kalt so idk if would have issues with the space , can you Help me out pls Also i have the red xpg ram 8gb 3200 and a gigabyte b450 ds3h

I didn't buy the 970 for the sake of having in a 970, it just happened to be in the PC I bought that I got a really good deal on. I might sell both GPUs later on to get something newer/better but for now I'm keeping one and selling the other.

Good idea, I'll do that.

its more of a meme than you think you will run into gpu bottleneck long before you run into memory one, unless you specfically target video options that take a heavy Vmem tax.

Is a 4/4.1ghz R5 2600 enough for VR? I'll be pairing it with either 5700 or 2060. Or is it better to save up more to go straight r5 3600?

How to build a PC for noobs:
youtube.com/watch?v=6_6hGc1A3Tk

does tn or ips really matter

How is the HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive?

if you are murican the sabrent rocket or inland premium has better chips and controllers and all that shit. price that thing is expensive here in eu too

if you want less image smearing and faster pixel responses or if you want better viewing angles and accurate colors, yes

>tfw scared to buy amd
buying parts now is scary desu

Seems fine, might look into your X470 options

You can probably sell the 970 for more, but if you don't care about that, between the two I'd hang on to the 970 if you don't want a space heater of a PC

>R5 2600 enough for VR?
I would say yes, considering most VR games are pretty light on CPU. If you have the budget for a $350 graphics card I'd go with the 3600 though, especially if your monitor is 1080p 144Hz

Good IPS panels are a complete upgrade from TN, but also significantly more expensive

building a Ryzen 3600 RX5700 system, my projected wattage is 375w.

would a 500w silverstone PSU be good enough
or should i allow for more overhead such as a 600w in case I need more power for the next GPU?

As long as the PSU has two 6+2 pin connectors, I think its fine

Whats the difference between these SSDs?
amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-SATA-Internal-MZ-76P1T0BW/dp/B078211KCN/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Samsung SSD 860 PRO 1&qid=1568304511&s=gateway&sr=8-1

amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76Q1T0B-AM/dp/B07L3D19MY/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=SSD 860 QVO&qid=1568304546&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Plug case and cooler into pcpartpicker and often it will mention any space issues

I'm pretty sure its just a code in the package. So use one, wait til it expires, then use the other.

>complete upgrade
Considering more blurring an upgrade

>if you are murican the sabrent rocket or inland premium has better chips and controllers and all that shit. price that thing is expensive here in eu too

both are for all intensive porpoises unavailable in Korea, where I am trapped

Attached: tumblr_lvu2loy3M71qg9u4xo1_400.jpg (400x303, 23K)

What the most recent thing you regret purchasing?
I got this case thinking it'd be pretty good for a mini tower, but man, the thermals are pretty bad. The fact that it only supports a maximum of three case fans is probably part of the problem. Honestly thinking about buying a meshify c

Attached: c1_061719.jpg (1920x1476, 293K)

ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-860-Evo-1TB-vs-Samsung-860-QVO-1TB/m423831vsm667965
I would compare the MX500 and the Sabrent Rocket to those

Blurring doesn't happen on quality IPS monitors like the LG 27GL850

>Blurring doesn't happen
Wrong. More so than a TN
That lg also has dog shit overshoot lol

wtf is an external graphics card? how does that work

think i'm down to my final questions...
RX 5700 reference is $400
RX 5700 XT reference is $450

is the XT worth it? i'll be building in a SFF mATX case so will be sticking with the blower

Also, my NVME choices are down to
Intel 660
HP EX920

I'm guessing i go with the HP becasue it's TLC instead of the 660's QLC?

i

>Zero airflow mini

Get a load of the Thermaltake H18, or the silverstone PS1 as well

even in super small cases you won't benefit from blowers. you never do. would also hardly consider mATX "SFF". literally the only reason you would consider blower cards is when you want to cheap out and don't care about noise at all.

your ssd choice depends on your use cases
>working with big files (i.e. editing videos) > EX920
>gaming > 660p
though personally, I wouldn't ever use qlc nand for my main drive

What's the current best value for a tensorflow gpu (CUDA 3.5+)? I'm willing to buy used.

Rate my planned liquid loop. I'm looking to tame a 5.0GHz i9-9900k and give my 2080Ti room to boost. As is the card is only hitting around 2000MHz. I'd like to hit 2200MHz.

Attached: Liquid-List.png (1963x792, 498K)

>Thermaltake H18
Looks pretty good, it's surprisingly difficult to find a decent mini tower.

What's the most budget / value option for carrying an RTX 2060 for 1080p / light 1440p gaming? I was thinking about a 1600 since I can find those for a great value, but some sources I look up show signs of slight CPU bottleneck.

Its finally here bros.
>inb4 Give it back Jamal.

Attached: 20190912_113247~01.jpg (3096x3711, 2.83M)

Small hands.

hey kid, want to do some tests?

nice card. Small hands. Bet my cock would look huge in those effeminate hands.

pcpartpicker.com/list/wbKjjy

what would be a good graphics card to use with what I've got so far

skinny wrists =/= small hands
cant do anything until my new mobo gets here, third world shipping times

Attached: 20190912_141604~01.jpg (2812x4128, 2.45M)

wipe the poopoo off your hands before touching such components

>brown skin
eh. Unless you're good to wear bright pink thigh highs and be my chocolate bunny (no homo), it's not going to work between us.

nigger or indian? or south american grab bag?

Completely false
tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_27gl850.htm

Attached: 16x9.jpg (850x478, 87K)

rude yeah?
I can make it work bro I do own a few pairs of panties for experimenting (no homo)
black, caribbean

Also look at the Silverstone PS15 which i'm getting becasue the H18 isn't in my country, the RGB is $10 more for me and comes with an 2 additional 125mm RGB fans in the front

keep in mind that SFF cases are made for blower cards, not open air cooled GPUs

Attached: ps15-rgb-34right.gif (560x560, 423K)

im sorry I said this, I'm not even racist I just had to say it my mom made me

I'm ok with black people as long as they don't live in white countries. you can visit though

>Caribbean
Which country? If you don't mind me asking

cool just saw a quick snippet of it on hu yt
ips is still slower compared to tn so not completely false

What's wrong with that?

I spent 4 years in the USA getting a physics degree that I cant even use and visited countless other times. I DO wanna get my PhD though so I may be on my way back soon.
the Bahamas, w-why?

>I'm ok with black people as long as they don't live in white countries. you can visit though
yea I also think black people are fine, they only bother me when they're in good countries since they ruin everywhere they live. it's ok if they're just shitting up africa or wherever, but they make society so much harder it's better if they are prevented from ruining real societies.

give me ONE reason to not get 64gb ram when it's so cheap rn. I like to tab hoard
give me ONE reason to not snap up a 3950x when they drop
give me ONE reason to not go full ayymd

REMINDER

Attached: why VA for gaming sucks.jpg (1445x815, 339K)

REMINDER, "advertised" response times mean fuck all, and you can only trust actual tests and reviews on what the monitor delivers in real life.
Do not just read advertizied numbers and think it means anything other than marketing.

Attached: muh marketing.jpg (1455x815, 319K)

ty for posting this chart for

How's the gigabyte rx 5700xt?

I'm normally wary of niggabyte but this one seems not too bad with 3 fans.

What do you consider a real society that is ruined primarily because of black people?

its fine until the low quality fan bearings give out after a few months, just like any other gigabyte gpu

np

Attached: Get a VA they said.webm (640x480, 2.39M)

>"advertised" response times mean fuck all
Correct. The 1ms GtG on that monitor is unusable because of overshoot, but that doesn't really matter because under reasonable settings the response is still below 6.9 as your previous image shows

>ips is still slower compared to tn
As long as the response time is below refresh rate of the monitor, it doesn't matter

every black area of america, the black areas of france, south africa

You don't understand what you're talking about, see >This is actually the fastest IPS-type panel we've tested to date which is no mean feat and it performs very well within the variable refresh rate range, and _without any overshoot issues_ as well. We don't know whether anyone really ever believed the marketing hype around the 1ms G2G response time figure, but that's really the only gripe we have with the responsiveness of this panel. We'd rather not see crazy numbers included (and "verified" by third parties) if they aren't useable please in the future.

>blur doesnt matter
literally a 144hz tn vs 144hz ips is still more blurry

ips is slower than tn that I understand and still not a complete upgrade thats the only point I made lol

>Bahamas
Did the hurricane affect you?
>Why
My family owns property in the English speaking Caribbean and I just never expected to find anyone from there on a Chinese gpu baking forum.

>but that doesn't really matter
It matters because 1 false advertising.
2 6.9ms is minimum, lower is still better, because you are looking at the average time, not "all colors, shades, will make the transition in time"
Gray to gray is the fastest usually and dark to white or white to dark is usually the slowest.
Not saying it's utter garbage, but don't get memed and marketed into shit. Actually look at reviews of what the hardware delivers.

>As long as the response time is below refresh rate of the monitor, it doesn't matter
Not him, but that is false. You still get a clearer image, you still want to have headroom to get response times in not just gtg, see the text above.
You need a minimum the absolute minimum of response times of gtg to be below the refresh time, it doesn't mean that if you get at least some transitions below that threshold that suddenly it's perfect and there is no futher improvement.

How often should you replace your power supply? Had mine for 7 years now and wondering if I should replace it as part of my new build

only when you use the "faster" preset which nobody should use

youtu.be/T5Loh7vOcVM?t=247

5700xt pulse for 450€. Y/N? Prices seem to change everyday for the custom cards, but havent really seen them drop below this price yet where i live.

Are ultra wide monitors still unsupported for gaming?
Looking to purchase a 2k monitor for gaming, high refresh rate, no more than $800

Get it through your thick skull, the monitor has no overshoot issues as claimed by and "faster" response time is completely irrelevant when the G2G is below the refresh rate of the monitor. Therefore; it is a complete upgrade in all aspects

obviously depends on the power needs of your new build

If it's cheap shit then you should probably upgrade. Mine caught on fire earlier this month after about 5 years usage. Components can wear out either way.

Just bought a 10gb/s internet network card (X520-DA1), damn it's fast

Attached: chadinternet.jpg (442x642, 93K)

Currently have a 650w which is more than enough for my new build. Just worried about an old psu frying my new components. Does that happen?

>It matters because 1 false advertising.
Agreed, however advertising is irrelevant when discussing overshoot and actual G2G response times.

>because you are looking at the average time,
Correct, that's why you want to make sure that slower transitions are also made under the 6.9ms threshold. Pic related. Just because something is an average doesn't mean that there can't be a tight grouping around that average, as is the case with the 27GL850

>suddenly it's perfect and there is no futher improvement.
And that's why they advertise an unusable 1ms G2G, because dummies like just see faster as better, when the reality is that after a certain point there needs to be no improvement for _perceivable_ benefit

>Pic related.
Meant to include

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-12 LG 27GL850 Review - TFT Central.png (754x269, 26K)

It’s a Corsair tx650, would that be considered cheap shit (sorry I’m completely new to all this)

>Did the hurricane affect you?
no, Im from Nassau whereas Abaco and Grand Bahama (the two northern islands) got hit hard
>expected to find anyone from there on a Chinese gpu baking forum.
There are like 5 Bahamians on /sp/, I met 2 on Jow Forums many years ago and there was a /carib/ general on Jow Forums that died a few years ago because it was slow.
I'm sure there are lots more, you'd be surprised.

16gb of ram at 3200 or 3600 if I’m using it with a tomahawk max and a r5 3600?

>wanted to wait for the black NH D15
>after waiting for over a year, they announce an NH D15 refresh and the 140mm version of the NF A12
>I would have to wait until mid 2020
>look for AIO
>see pic related
>130€
>ok whatever, 50€ more, but it will be even cooler than the NH D15 or its refresh with new fans
>mount it in my case, have to remove all the fans and install them again, a lot of work for about 5 hours
>matches or gets even worse temps than the Wraith Prism on the 3700X
>now I have ordered 6 1700RPM 140mm Artic fans to replace the stock 1300RPM ones and do a push/pull
>with shipping and shit, spend 180€, literally double an NH D15
overall, this is my only remorse. I could have spent those 180€ on getting a 3900X and using the stock cooler I guess.
Don't go AIO unless you get one with fast and noisy fans.

Attached: file.png (600x343, 234K)

Most psu affecionados recommend gold 80+ psus for maximum efficiency and protection, but I don't thing a bronze 80+ like the tx650 is that bad. I had a crappy thermaltake one, I think it was rated white. That said, if you are spending over 1000$ on parts then I would suggest a gold 80+ one.

why shouldn't I use a vacuum cleaner to get the dust out of my PC case?

overclock the 3200. how is this not common knowledge, especially when it's in the pcbg FAQ?

......... why didn't you just get the arctic 34 duo, mugen 5, etc? lmao
Yeah, that money would have been better spent on just getting a better CPU wtf

seems expensive when you guys had the 5700 blowers for only 325 euro. xt pulse is not worth another 125 euro

they're so-so but they use the same shitty fans Gigabyte has been using on their low end models for years now. Would avoid.

>aficionado

>It matters because 1 false advertising.
all the monitors false advertise. None of them are 1ms.
But really, under 7ms for 40% grey transition is quite good and isn't going to appear very blurry.

Attached: firefox_2019-09-12_15-14-58.png (2557x1440, 1005K)

Yeah I prefer the term evangelist

>all the monitors false advertise. None of them are 1ms.
didn't claim otherwise.

Is the HP bad for gaming?

Linus did a test and was surprised that a windforce cooler was actually louder than a reference card

Bitwit found that even in regular form factor cases open air coolers increase the case temp by about 5deg celcius and blower cards gave great results, getting the same temperature in a mini ITX case that the open air card got in a mid-size tower

Consider this; tests of graphics cards are always done on open air test benches. A situation that is very different from the enclosure of a case.

>RYZEN shilling general

Thanks user, I’ll replace the psu I don’t want to risk anything

all this talk about blowers and open air, does an open air cooler push hot air out the bottom, pulling it through the heatsink, or push hot air up into the heatsink?

Attached: 22f48507f5b6d1943e7bdce1516d9ebb.jpg (500x397, 40K)

>Is the HP bad for gaming?
no, but more pricey for no noticable performance uplift in gaming

>windforce
notoriously bad card tbf
temps might be slightly better on a blower at the cost of the card being incredibly loud. gaymers nexus does noise-normalized tests at 40dbA which I find is the best way to show acoustic performance. 40dbA is pretty loud in my opinion and even on an open test bench the slightly cooler 5700 non-XT runs fairly hot.
youtube.com/watch?v=R2OSoKwTAj8&feature=youtu.be&t=586

pushes air into the heatsink

>State budget & CURRENCY
1,5k euro

>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
Ryzen 3600, b450 tomahawk max, 16gb ram corsair vengeance, msi trio x rtx 2070s, rm750x, fractal design r6, 2 ssd 500gb

>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
Mostly gaming but lately i have been into video/photo editing, so im looking for a build that can do gaming aswell as video editing.
Also recording with nvenc so i have to skip 5700 xt or i could go with 3700x and use my cpu as encoder, i have no idea which one is better.

>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)
currently im using my 1080p monitor 144hz, next month i will be upgrading to 1440p/ultrawide 3440/1440.

Is this build good enough? currently rig is r5 1600 paired with 1060 6gb.

Attached: FelixArgyle-Cosplay-Trap-1.jpg (650x974, 146K)

Asus Prime x570-Pro Motherboard 3700x

I was having some problems with the sleep function working incorrectly on my computer so I decided to update the bios. I noticed that this motherboard had an online updating tool so I used that. While that was processing I left but when I came back my pc was just sitting on the boot screen where it shows instructions on how to enter the bios. I reset my pc to try again and it remained stuck.

So far I've:

Removed cmos battery for 10 min while also trying holding the power button for 60sec

Downloaded the newest bios version off of asus site (which btw is a different version than the online version showed me) and placed it on a flash drive formatted in both ntfs and fat32 in the hope to use the asus crashfree bios 3 option.

Removed all USB devices and other peripherals and repeated the above steps.

Am I screwed bros