/gst/ - Good Simple Tech general

/gst/ - Good Simple Tech general
>Wtf is /gst/?
A general for appreciating the good, cheap, simple tech that just does one or a few things with no bloat™
>That's gay
So is letting Google know you like Spice Girls because you happen to use a smartphone as a music player.
>What's a example of /gst/?
The famous Casio F-91W is a classic example of a piece of elegant technology that does what it does well, and nothing else.
>Why don't I just use my smartphone
Other than bloat and privacy concerns that are all the rage on Jow Forums, you've probably also noticed that 6"+ phones are a complete bastard to get in and out of your trouser pocket, unless you wear cargo shorts which you probably do.
>Isn't this just basically an edc thread?
Kind of, but hopefully more posts by anons displaying an old Hi-Fi and other home tech, rather than anons screeching about how they need 4 pistols, 2 mags for each of them, an extending baton and a couple of knives every day.
>But why start a new general OP? Why not just call Intel a bunch of greedy jews like me?
Variety, also something about zen and how after a decade of using smartphones I'm realising that they're convenient but that doesn't mean each function is the best implementation compared to dedicated devices. Also, consumerism is FUN!

Basically if there is a cheap (new or used) and functional piece of tech, no matter what it is, we want to hear about it here at /gst/

Attached: Casio_F-91w-feature[1].jpg (3000x1987, 960K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mi.com/global/mi-smart-band-4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So recent purchase was a Walkman, bought it mainly because my phone was too big to have on my girly arms in a strap while trying to exercise. But actually it's pretty fun loading up music you can't get on Spotify and have to fiddle around with YouTube to hear, not to mention you have to be more deliberate with what music you put on there.

Spotify is great, but it really is a case of being spoilt for choice sometimes and I spend probably autistic levels of trying to think of what I want to hear next..

Attached: mp3-player-sony-walkman-nwz-b183f-4gb-radio-fm-usb-tela-lcd-D_NQ_NP_375115-MLB25195105190_112016-F[1 (1200x797, 105K)

this is a good general - keep it alive plz.

Will try user, I reckon Jow Forums appreciates poorfag consumerism.

yes, yes we do. i love my cheap ass f-91w and how its bulletproof for near nothing.

Logitech M-BJ69
USB optical mouse. 2 (3 if you count the the scroll wheel) buttons and a scroll wheel. It works (and has for about ten years). I have a second one in my desk drawer in case this one bites the dust (which I don't think it will for at least another ten years).

Attached: 20190717_061748.jpg (3264x2448, 898K)

Next example is the Koss PortaPro, you probably already know of it if you go to the headphone general, but for any anons out there looking for probably the best sounding headphones for less than $50 it can't be beaten. Like the Casio it has been in production since the 80s so you know it must be good.

Downsides are that it feels like it was made in the 80s and that means the cable is likely to break in less than a year if you're not careful. And it's not quite cheap enough to be that disposable.

Attached: Koss-Porta-Pro[1].png (1000x1000, 430K)

That's excellent /gst/ material, I think we've all used and appreciated a good simple mouse whether it's a basic logitech or the intelimouse.

The fuck?

Attached: rework_steel_black[1].jpg (696x464, 168K)

based, I still have a phone with a headphone jack and use KSC75s almost exclusively

Not to mention looking like a complete autist while wearing it

Well that is true, but this isn't /fa/. It's for the kind of guy who likes their shit to be utilitarian. Maybe someone who wears a Casio wristwatch, owns a 10 year old ThinkPad and uses pic related to carry it around.

A PortaPro is just completing the look.

Attached: s-l1000[1].jpg (1000x1000, 160K)

what fuck

Tbqh, I'm still waiting for these to get released in the UK. Apparently they sound just as good as any cheap Koss earphone but does look more current.

Attached: 6_000000156726[1].jpg (600x600, 63K)

I love em but my last replacement pair was so cheap compared to my first pair. Lighter band, cheaper plastic, plastic cable instead of wired, plus it was much shorter. Kinda dissapointed, they also tended to hurt my ears if I used them as my main headphones. Sound fucking great tho.

Seems to have been a Chinese rip-off of the PortaPro that for some reason also has a microphone. No idea if the sound quality is anything like the original, nor if it's still in production because it's not for sale anymore on Amazon.

Attached: 41Phd2bIvLL[1].jpg (384x384, 23K)

They make portapros with microphone, think it also has better cable too.

Really? Doesn't really make sense for a headphone intended to be portable.

Mentioned earlier, anyone else have these at school back in the day?

Attached: 41NNgzF+V5L._SL500_AC_SS350_[1].jpg (350x350, 9K)

school still has them, they're very nice.

Shame these won't work anymore with Digital TV

Attached: 1373873112-watchman[1].jpg (500x380, 25K)

you could probably mod it somehow to get it to work

I suppose also I'd need to want to watch regular tv as well... actually I don't regret having it in 2019.

Any good GPS devices for North America? Or is Botnet Maps the only way? It is the only app keeping me from getting a dumb phone.

Logitech K120 keyboard. I've been using this baby for more than 5 years and it still works perfectly fine, not a single problem. I even have spilled water on it and it still works. Best damn keyboard.

Attached: logitech-k120.jpg (1200x900, 257K)

Is TomTom still a thing that exists? IIRC you had to download maps to be used offline because it had no ability to connect to the internet.

This is the stuff I'm talking about, an IBM Model M is a bit overhyped. Yes it's solid and built to last, but they were also pricey when new and ridiculously so now. Just for clickety keys?

Reckon if Nokia can do it in the current year, so could Motorola.

Attached: Motorola-RAZR-V3i-1[1].jpg (402x423, 23K)

>cheap
>reliable
>perfect combination of minimalistic and functional design

Attached: kingston.jpg (3264x2448, 2.32M)

as much as I like the F-91w: the wristband is shit and breaks after a couple of months

What's a good cheap MP3 player? Preferably no software needed to sync, just drag and drop over USB or to an SD card

That is true, I suppose really it's worthwhile to get a NATO strap if you like keeping hold of stuff for sentimental value.

Then again, if you buy a NATO strap and those screen protectors the other user posted, you're basically tripling the cost of the watch. Still cheap, but you could probably get something a little more swish for that.

This literally works that way, it has a folder cause MUSIC you drop your MP3s into and it just werks. Name is NWZ-B183. Got mine for a bit less by looking on eBay to get an ex-display model.

Looks good! Does it have an SD reader, and if not how much storage does it have?

Nah only built in flash storage which is 4GB.

how much does it cost?
i feel like it's either pretty cheap or way to fucking expensive.

i was still using mine until like last summer.
mine doesn't have the fancy side buttons and has turned to kind of yellow.

RRP in the UK was £50 on the Sony website, but I got mine for £30. Tbh I mostly got it because it's a Walkman after looking up older beasts like pic related.

Realistically you wouldn't really be missing out by getting a generic MP3 player on AliExpress for around $4-5.

Attached: 136439294_865c8f67a6_b[1].jpg (1024x677, 83K)

There is no such thing as a good general.

looks like something you'd find in alien isolation.
what's the model?

WM-D3 I believe

dwarf fortress general is a very good general.

Jow Forums probably needs a generals board of its own.

From my /csg/ experience Mixza is a good brand for sd cards and usb drives, ugreen and orico is good for cables. They are all dirt cheap.

so poor boomer general?

I like to think of it as a Thinkpad general, but with a wider scope.

Bump before I hit the sack, hope anons thought it was an alright idea for a general

Microsoft Wired Keyboard 200

Cheap USB keyboard I bought for like 10 euros easily around 8/9 years ago and I use daily, even spilled some liquid in it and still rock solid and never missed a keypress.

The typing is nice and it makes good noise which usually prompts the question "Do you have a mechanical keyboard?" from people in voicechat, but it really is just a membrane keyboard.

Been wanting to buy a mech for some years but this thing never stopped working!

Attached: microsoftwired200.jpg (780x430, 45K)

>having all that stuff is adding clutter to your life
>you only just need your smartphone
>literally a billion apps for smartphone
>it's minimalist, bro

Who are you quoting?

*ahem*
FUCK
STUPIDWATCHES

Attached: literallycheaperthanthecasiomeme.jpg (355x355, 16K)

>he doesn't know all the subtle intricacies of greentexting
imagine being this new

>Well user, we at fuckyou insurance would love to pay for your health bills....buuuuut it seems you didn't reach our yearly step quota

You're suppose to at least be mimicking someone in the thread.

it was preemptive

Well to them, I'd say the amount of clutter you get on the average smartphone is anything but minimalist.

gee then the one i’ve been wearing for a year must’ve been a qc fail

that's the >implication

one of my springpins bent last week when i overtightened the strap. it was the first issue i've ever had with my own F91W after 3.5 years, the last 10 months of which saw use in very physical conditions.

going to get a new pin and a NATO strap so at least it stays put on my wrist next time something like that happens.

how do the buttons feel after 10 years of use? do they feel stiff? i'm always looking for a mouse that lasts and doesn't feel like shit after a long time of use

not necessarily.
i had this amazing archived thread from /lit/ where people discussed greentexting and spoilering but i lost the link.

I have this thing. Radio+aux and drives 2 speaker columns of make that you would not recognize so that's not important. It plays so good and is so nice to look at. Meet Technics SA-500, late 70s afaik.

Attached: IMG_1351.jpg (1024x576, 154K)

DESU the right one got kinda mushy about two years ago because I used to play way too much League of Legends. I just took a piece of cardboard and but it under the front right corner of the circuit board to lift it up a litlle bit. Feels just like the new one.
I might have some bad news for you though. AFAIK, Logitech doesn't make that model anymore.

I'm cool with giving up my privacy to the chinks to be honest, way better than joos

Seconded, one of the last truly comfy places left on Jow Forums

Bumb

Garmin is good for car GPS. It is kinda botnet though (has FourSquare shit) but less so than a phone.

Keep us posted if you find it, sounds promising

If you like e-readers, pic related is a tank and still has physical buttons

i swear man, those mass produced old black keyboards from logitech, dell, and hp you mostly find in librarys and schools could last for a lifetime. good shit

>literally cheaper
what watch?

Why do people buy wrist watches?

mi.com/global/mi-smart-band-4

To check the time, silly. Also they look nice.

My collection :)

Attached: 20190912_221359.jpg (3264x1836, 1.93M)

Is the Casio WR comfortable to wear?

Attached: pager-text-swiss.jpg (350x220, 21K)

Op Casio really doesn't. You can tell time by using your phone though, and you don't have to carry something on your wrist

As someone who despises looking at their phone most of the day, I'd prefer using a watch to check the time. It's just convenient. I think the OP watch looks pretty nice, but watches are both function and fashion, so try to find a watch you think looks nice.

Attached: transcend-mp330-digital-music-mp3-player-with-8gb-memory-black-7639-6014205-139fe85d8ff374968739ccdc (1050x1050, 68K)

Not him but it is pretty comfy for me, I don't really notice the bigger face. I thought the calculator would be a meme but it has come in handy a few times as I don't like to have my phone on my at all times.
Only downside is no backlight

Attached: 3.jpg (550x1150, 80K)

I have hundreds of those stored at the office

Thanks

CASIO G-SHOCK GB-X6900B

Casio made a classic G-Shock with Bluetooth and simple smartwatch features. Lasts a year on a coin cell.

Attached: CASIO_-SHOCK_GB-X6900B_0411062211351_360x270.jpg (360x270, 15K)

/gg/

>no cap
>lives in dusty pockets
>skid marks from use
>small like my penis

>cheap
>reliable
>perfect combination of minimalism and functional design

Attached: Tenga Egg.jpg (444x444, 14K)

>jewtooth
>"simple" smartwatch features
>battery lasts a year

Attached: 1568248609717-g.jpg (420x420, 23K)

If there was a masturbators that felt like a warm vagina then I would buy it, but I don't think there is.

the what

>Tenga Egg
fyi i just bought one thank you for the future orgasm baby

What in hell does it do over Bluetooth that's even vaguely useful? Normal watches last a 5-10 years on the same battery.

possibly the dumbest thing i have seen ever

Notifications, call alerts and shit. To be fair I got mine 4 years ago and the battery is still fine, but I have other watches that I wear more frequently. 1 year I suppose is when you're wearing it everyday and getting a normie-tier amount of notifications.

Lilith Real + USB onahole warmer.
Or just lurk /jp/ onahole general and find something that tickles your fancy.

She is a beauty

105s are superior because illuminator > shotty bulb

You're going to look like a sperg wearing these

bulb works fine and the display is clear enough to tell the time in the dark you onions boy